Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Old 08-16-16, 06:31 AM
  #201  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,860

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Carbon seatpost, racks and 2 x 10 gearing is why I would chose the SLR1 over the SLR2.
That is fair enough too.

When I bought my SLR 2, the store had discounted it by 30%, so it became a real no brainer, but prior to that I was struggling to know which way to go between them.

Because I am a heavy bastard, I actually didn't want the Carbon Seatpost and whilst I do place a value on racks, I wanted the RackTime racks, as they have a great interface built into the rack that easily allows for quick release baskets and trunk bags, whereas the Giant racks are just generic, so no quick release for you.

I am also someone who really likes having a Gear Display Indicator on my gears so that I can easily see what gear I am in, and the Sram shifters on the SLR 1, lack this. Now this doesn't matter to everyone, but it does to me, so when I get around to putting XT shifters on my SLR 2, they will have a Gear Display Indicator on them.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 08-16-16, 07:47 AM
  #202  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
I am also someone who really likes having a Gear Display Indicator on my gears so that I can easily see what gear I am in, and the Sram shifters on the SLR 1, lack this. Now this doesn't matter to everyone, but it does to me, so when I get around to putting XT shifters on my SLR 2, they will have a Gear Display Indicator on them.
I have some cheap shifters on my Giant Cypress and depend on that visual indicator quite a lot. I find this to be a very important feature as well and did not know that about the Sram shifters. May sway my decision.
LHawes is offline  
Old 08-17-16, 01:42 AM
  #203  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd probably average a gear change every minute or less across my circuit. When I consider that aspect, gears don't seem nearly as important as a good frame/fork combination and having good wheels and tires. I run my tires at the maximum pressure which results in a bumpy ride but boy does it feel good in the corners and aĺlow me to go that much faster.
coominya is offline  
Old 08-17-16, 07:04 PM
  #204  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for the ToughRoad SLR1 so I'll post this link here. Bought the new SLR1 today and am trying not to cross post too much so hope I've got this right.

http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post18992464
LHawes is offline  
Old 08-17-16, 07:09 PM
  #205  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,860

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for the ToughRoad SLR1 so I'll post this link here. Bought the new SLR1 today and am trying not to cross post too much so hope I've got this right.

http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post18992464

The only thing you did wrong was to not post some pics of your new baby, but this can be corrected.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 08-17-16, 07:17 PM
  #206  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
The only thing you did wrong was to not post some pics of your new baby, but this can be corrected.
Yeah I feel pretty bad about that. I'll do so soon.
LHawes is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 02:30 AM
  #207  
BigC_82
Senior Member
 
BigC_82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 327

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the 2017 version of this model as it fit the needs of having gravel/commuter bike. I am curious if there are fender mounts. Anyone ride their xl frame toughroad?
BigC_82 is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 03:47 AM
  #208  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,860

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigC_82 View Post
I really like the 2017 version of this model as it fit the needs of having gravel/commuter bike. I am curious if there are fender mounts. Anyone ride their xl frame toughroad?
Yes there are fender mounts.

Very versatile bike.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 03:50 PM
  #209  
tiguanito
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having a hard time to decide between the toughroad slr 2, and a mountain bike with front suspension. (trek x-caliber 8 is currently on sale at $850)
I'm going to use it on paved roads and trails (probably 50/50). I won't go quick on trails with bumps, no jump, no race, no high speed. But still, I wonder if I won't miss the front suspension.
I've done a quick test of the toughroad on a parking lot. I wish I could test it on a trail.
The reasons I've selected the slr 2 are :
< $1000
Feels very light
Big tires for an hybrid. I was initially considering the Roam 2, but the tires are too small for some trails with rocks.

The trek x-caliber 8 is going to be heavier (probably + 5lbs), but has some nice components too. And a rockshox suspension + good tires, so would be safer on some trails with holes and bumps.

Do you sometimes miss the front suspension on yours ?

The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
tiguanito is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 04:28 PM
  #210  
idiotekniQues
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 680

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
I'm having a hard time to decide between the toughroad slr 2, and a mountain bike with front suspension. (trek x-caliber 8 is currently on sale at $850)
I'm going to use it on paved roads and trails (probably 50/50). I won't go quick on trails with bumps, no jump, no race, no high speed. But still, I wonder if I won't miss the front suspension.
I've done a quick test of the toughroad on a parking lot. I wish I could test it on a trail.
The reasons I've selected the slr 2 are :
< $1000
Feels very light
Big tires for an hybrid. I was initially considering the Roam 2, but the tires are too small for some trails with rocks.

The trek x-caliber 8 is going to be heavier (probably + 5lbs), but has some nice components too. And a rockshox suspension + good tires, so would be safer on some trails with holes and bumps.

Do you sometimes miss the front suspension on yours ?

The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
sounds like you are going to be riding some smooth trails and the rest pavement. slr2 sounds good then.

not sure of the differences between the 2016 and 2017 but it's strange they won't discount the 2016. no other LBS options somewhat nearby?
idiotekniQues is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 04:49 PM
  #211  
tiguanito
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
sounds like you are going to be riding some smooth trails and the rest pavement. slr2 sounds good then.

not sure of the differences between the 2016 and 2017 but it's strange they won't discount the 2016. no other LBS options somewhat nearby?
I haven't found another LBS that sells the toughroad or any Giant bike. Most local stores here ( SF Bay Area) sell trek , specialized, diamondback.
tiguanito is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 05:36 PM
  #212  
FrozenBiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
At $800, the bike is slightly discounted (retail was always $870)
Unfortunately, the 2017 has slightly downgraded crank, rear derailier, and brakes.
Nothing too drastic, but they should've reduced the price since the bike barely sells.
FrozenBiker is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 05:51 PM
  #213  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,860

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
I don't see the 2017 model as an improvement, and arguably it is a small backward step.

http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ad-models.html
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 08-27-16, 01:01 PM
  #214  
tiguanito
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
sounds like you are going to be riding some smooth trails and the rest pavement. slr2 sounds good then.

not sure of the differences between the 2016 and 2017 but it's strange they won't discount the 2016. no other LBS options somewhat nearby?
This is an example of trail in my area:

I keep seeing bikes with front suspension.
tiguanito is offline  
Old 08-27-16, 01:58 PM
  #215  
idiotekniQues
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 680

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
This is an example of trail in my area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00bj0wY3wnE

I keep seeing bikes with front suspension.
that looks bumpy enough that a suspension would help. the other issue with a mountain bike on the road though is the gearing. it may be too slow for the road having 2 small rings up front. have you considered a dual sport hybrid like the Trek DS series? At 38mm the tires might be too narrow but you should be able to have the LBS swap those out for you before walking out the door with the bike.
idiotekniQues is offline  
Old 08-27-16, 02:07 PM
  #216  
tiguanito
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
that looks bumpy enough that a suspension would help. the other issue with a mountain bike on the road though is the gearing. it may be too slow for the road having 2 small rings up front. have you considered a dual sport hybrid like the Trek DS series? At 38mm the tires might be too narrow but you should be able to have the LBS swap those out for you before walking out the door with the bike.
I initially considered the Roam 2 , equivalent to the Trek DS. I asked the LBS for some bigger tires on the Roam, and they didn't have some in stock. I should try with another LBS. The Roam 2017 has 700 x 38c , the rim is 19mm so I think I should be able to go up 45mm.
tiguanito is offline  
Old 08-27-16, 07:21 PM
  #217  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,860

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
This is an example of trail in my area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00bj0wY3wnE

I keep seeing bikes with front suspension.
Have you seen this video?

It shows the sort of trail one can take the Toughroad on.

ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 07:11 PM
  #218  
Haffster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
I'm having a hard time to decide between the toughroad slr 2, and a mountain bike with front suspension. (trek x-caliber 8 is currently on sale at $850)
I'm going to use it on paved roads and trails (probably 50/50). I won't go quick on trails with bumps, no jump, no race, no high speed. But still, I wonder if I won't miss the front suspension.
I've done a quick test of the toughroad on a parking lot. I wish I could test it on a trail.
The reasons I've selected the slr 2 are :
< $1000
Feels very light
Big tires for an hybrid. I was initially considering the Roam 2, but the tires are too small for some trails with rocks.

The trek x-caliber 8 is going to be heavier (probably + 5lbs), but has some nice components too. And a rockshox suspension + good tires, so would be safer on some trails with holes and bumps.

Do you sometimes miss the front suspension on yours ?

The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
To be perfectly honest, after having used the bike for about 700 KMs this summer, my conclusion is that this is a bike that does a great job being a little bit of a road bike and a little bit of a mountain bike. If that's what you're after, you can't go wrong.

But I'd highly recommend figuring out if that's exactly what you want. I've taken this bike to some trails that weren't quite suited to it, and going over roots and stones on this is not fun at all. Your bones are going to suffer. Light gravel, packed mud, you'll be perfectly fine. On the road, you'll feel the rolling resistance. It's comfortable and light, but anything over 25 KMs, you'll feel it. I changed the tires to 35 mm with a nice road tread so it behaves quite a bit better on pavement.

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend focusing on your usage. If you're going to be on pavement 80%+ of the time, get a road bike. Heck, you might even start going the distance with that on weekends. Personally, I'm thinking of putting the fatter tires back on and use this for a bit of light off roading (read: light), and getting a road bike for what I actually really like doing.

I love this bike, but it is designed to do a little bit of everything reasonably well and it does. But this is not a road bike and this is not a mountain bike. A lot of people are quite happy with that, and again - if that's what you're after, you couldn't go wrong.

And yes - I do miss having a front suspension. Like you, I didn't intend to use this bike for any serious mountain biking, but going over roots and stones, you need a front suspension (at least).

Last edited by Haffster; 08-28-16 at 07:23 PM.
Haffster is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 08:16 AM
  #219  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haffster View Post
To be perfectly honest, after having used the bike for about 700 KMs this summer, my conclusion is that this is a bike that does a great job being a little bit of a road bike and a little bit of a mountain bike. If that's what you're after, you can't go wrong.

But I'd highly recommend figuring out if that's exactly what you want. I've taken this bike to some trails that weren't quite suited to it, and going over roots and stones on this is not fun at all. Your bones are going to suffer. Light gravel, packed mud, you'll be perfectly fine. On the road, you'll feel the rolling resistance. It's comfortable and light, but anything over 25 KMs, you'll feel it. I changed the tires to 35 mm with a nice road tread so it behaves quite a bit better on pavement.

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend focusing on your usage. If you're going to be on pavement 80%+ of the time, get a road bike. Heck, you might even start going the distance with that on weekends. Personally, I'm thinking of putting the fatter tires back on and use this for a bit of light off roading (read: light), and getting a road bike for what I actually really like doing.

I love this bike, but it is designed to do a little bit of everything reasonably well and it does. But this is not a road bike and this is not a mountain bike. A lot of people are quite happy with that, and again - if that's what you're after, you couldn't go wrong.

And yes - I do miss having a front suspension. Like you, I didn't intend to use this bike for any serious mountain biking, but going over roots and stones, you need a front suspension (at least).
I think this is a great analysis of the Tough Road. I have the SLR1 and ride mostly road but have a park I frequent that has some dirt/gravel sections and the roads I take to get there have minimal shoulders with some dirt sections that I like to take shortcuts through. Love the big tires and I run low (35 psi R 30 psi F) pressure for the comfort and relative ease through those dirt patches. I really dislike looking down at a 23 - 25 front tire and am not interested in speed so for my purposes it's a great choice.

But as stated above it's not a mountain bike. If you are going off road for some more serious mountain biking you'll miss a front fork. And to repeat the above post again it's not a road bike either but you could fit it with smaller tires and make it better suited, but if you love the road, and only the road, then it's not a great choice. I rode it about 20 miles the other day and have no problems going slow with the large tires but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority road riding on 29 x 2's and enjoying the cushy ride while sacrificing speed. I could see some 35 - 40's on it pretty easy though.

Just thought of this - there was one section of the 20 mile road ride where we came up on a very narrow overpass with lots of traffic and no paved shoulder. There was a dirt shoulder with a paved berm and a sidewalk over the overpass that I just bounced over to (to avoid the traffic) with no problem, and a bit of variety and fun for me. My buddy on a 22 tired fixxy had to use the overpass. No big deal for most but for me I love the option at any time to just bail out on to the dirt to get by or around traffic.

I looked a long time for something like the Tough Road, and it's actually pretty unique among the choices out there but I have a pretty unique area and terrain I ride and pretty unique desires in a bike. Best of luck deciding and let us know what you choose.

Last edited by LHawes; 08-29-16 at 08:28 AM.
LHawes is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 10:20 PM
  #220  
tiguanito
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback.

After some visits to several LBS during the week-end, I went back home with a Giant Roam 2 that was on sale ($449). I will probably replace the tires with some Rock n'Road (Rock n' Road Tires 700c x 43mm ? ), and see hot it goes on trails.
The Toughroad 2 is really a nice bike. But I was not sure how I was going to use the bike the most, and about the rigid fork. Didn't want to spend too much until I had a better idea of the right one for me.
tiguanito is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 07:01 AM
  #221  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
Thank you all for the feedback.

After some visits to several LBS during the week-end, I went back home with a Giant Roam 2 that was on sale ($449). I will probably replace the tires with some Rock n'Road (Rock n' Road Tires 700c x 43mm ? ), and see hot it goes on trails.
The Toughroad 2 is really a nice bike. But I was not sure how I was going to use the bike the most, and about the rigid fork. Didn't want to spend too much until I had a better idea of the right one for me.
Great bike, great price, hope it works out for you.
LHawes is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 03:07 PM
  #222  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haffster View Post
To be perfectly honest, after having used the bike for about 700 KMs this summer, my conclusion is that this is a bike that does a great job being a little bit of a road bike and a little bit of a mountain bike. If that's what you're after, you can't go wrong...

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend focusing on your usage. If you're going to be on pavement 80%+ of the time, get a road bike. Heck, you might even start going the distance with that on weekends. Personally, I'm thinking of putting the fatter tires back on and use this for a bit of light off roading (read: light), and getting a road bike for what I actually really like doing.
Summed up very well. The Giant is a compromise and an especially good one for blokes like me. I weigh 220 pound, or 100kg, and although I only ride on the road I find I don't trust the super slim tires on road bikes nor do I like the steering. I tied a roadie for a month and it wasn't me. One thing the toughroad allows me to do is utilize the footpath when I feel it a safer option. The footpaths here have gutters but are often grass or a dirt single track, a lot easier to negotiate with wide tires.

If you're on the heavy side and are prepared to take a loss in top speed and range then a hybrid like these is a great way to get exercise on the road.
coominya is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:27 PM
  #223  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Inwood WV, but maybe moving closer to the C&O areas
Posts: 1,232

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Prior bikes owned: 1995 Trek 830, 1988 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
This is an example of trail in my area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00bj0wY3wnE

I keep seeing bikes with front suspension.
I know you have already bought your Roam, but the 38's that come with many hybrids could easily handle this trail. I've ridden many trails like this already with my 38's.

Of course though, I did recently hit some rocky patches on a trail that did destroy the rear rims, but hey....it was fun!
travbikeman is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 04:26 AM
  #224  
nardus010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markutz View Post
That ticking sound along with the seatpost clicking is starting to get really annoying....
I have the same problem. I`ve red it`s an issue with the Giant D-Fuse Seatpost. I will contact my Giant dealer.
Also resolved the bad squeaking from the steerer tube when steering :applied some teflon spray and it`s gone. (for good i hope)

Last edited by nardus010; 09-02-16 at 04:55 AM.
nardus010 is offline  
Old 09-02-16, 04:59 AM
  #225  
LHawes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vista, Ca North San Diego County
Posts: 218

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nardus010 View Post
Also resolved the bad squeaking from the steerer tube when steering :applied some teflon spray and it`s gone. (for good i hope)
I had that same squeak, resolved the same way.
LHawes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.