Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Old 03-09-16, 04:25 PM
  #1  
JustinTW
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 24

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Gonna get me a small black one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f=home_popular
JustinTW is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 05:50 PM
  #2  
usedbutnotup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 55

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 Framed Minnesota 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't look like a hamburger. Not interested.
usedbutnotup is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 07:02 PM
  #3  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinTW View Post
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I'm gonna get me self one of them.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 07:14 PM
  #4  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Panhandle WV
Posts: 1,309

Bikes: The growing fleet: Scott Sub Cross 30, Specialized Crosstrail Sport, Scott Scale 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I'm thinking on it too. That is much better looking than the hamburger bell!
travbikeman is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 07:19 PM
  #5  
Arizona Nights
Senior Member
 
Arizona Nights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 77

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the sound of this, and the design is wonderful too. I wish them success. Unfortunately, I've had fancy bike bells before and everyone seems to ignore them. I found that people only pay attention to the old ching-ching bells because that's what they most associate with a bike.
Arizona Nights is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 11:56 AM
  #6  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,346

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arizona Nights View Post
I really like the sound of this, and the design is wonderful too. I wish them success. Unfortunately, I've had fancy bike bells before and everyone seems to ignore them. I found that people only pay attention to the old ching-ching bells because that's what they most associate with a bike.
I fully admit no bell works as well as the giant Dutch ding-dong bells, but they are the size of a small Weber BBQ grill........
kickstart is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 12:01 PM
  #7  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,060

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinTW View Post
Sucker.

BTW Knog is a multinational corporation...in absolutely NO need of crowdfunding to build and sell anything. Knog is pretty much the antithesis of what Kickstarter is supposed to be about. Congrats on being the exact kind of person Knog was banking on (literally) with this pretty sleazy schtick.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 12:46 PM
  #8  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Sucker.

BTW Knog is a multinational corporation...in absolutely NO need of crowdfunding to build and sell anything. Knog is pretty much the antithesis of what Kickstarter is supposed to be about. Congrats on being the exact kind of person Knog was banking on (literally) with this pretty sleazy schtick.
That's capitalism, get over it. Wether they fund it themselves or get the money from Kickstarter, the end result to the buyer is the same.
Grey. is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 01:00 PM
  #9  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,060

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey. View Post
That's capitalism, get over it. Wether they fund it themselves or get the money from Kickstarter, the end result to the buyer is the same.
Not really at all in the short or long-term.

Kickstarter is not a supermarket to buy stuff. It is a place to back projects. You go to a bike shop and buy a bell-you know exactly what you get and you get it. Further the company selling it needs a quality product to keep selling and make money. A kickstarter project-lord knows what you'll get, even if you get anything at all. Saying "the end result to the buyer is the same", demonstrates a lack of knowledge of what Kickstarters are.

Further this kind of crap helps the vulture capitalists gouge prices even higher. Would you honestly buy a $50 bell on Amazon? No. Evidently people are happy to be gouged $50 for a bell "kickstarter" from a multinational brand.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 01:10 PM
  #10  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Not really at all in the short or long-term.

Kickstarter is not a supermarket to buy stuff. It is a place to back projects. You go to a bike shop and buy a bell-you know exactly what you get and you get it. Further the company selling it needs a quality product to keep selling and make money. A kickstarter project-lord knows what you'll get, even if you get anything at all. Saying "the end result to the buyer is the same", demonstrates a lack of knowledge of what Kickstarters are.

Further this kind of crap helps the vulture capitalists gouge prices even higher. Would you honestly buy a $50 bell on Amazon? No. Evidently people are happy to be gouged $50 for a bell "kickstarter" from a multinational brand.
I wouldn't buy a bell at all because if I need someone to move I can just ask them politely. You seem to be flipping your arguement, is your problem with Kickstarter or with Knog for using it? Since Knog is, as you say, a large corporation (and this product is right in their wheel house) I have no doubts they'll follow through on their Kickstarter, but feel free to speculate if you'd like.

I've spent more money on things that made less sense because to me, they were worth it. If you want to sit on the sidelines and take potshots at what people choose to spend their money on because you disagree with the system, go for it. You think people bought it just because it was on Kickstarter? That's an assumption. If somebody is gonna pay $50 for a bell, I think they'll do it wether it's on Amazon or Kickstarter or in a bike shop, if they want it bad enough. Granted, that's also an assumption, but i'm not calling anyone a "sucker" for it.
Grey. is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 06:17 PM
  #11  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Australian company has used this as a clever way to advertise and good luck to them. They have created a bell that blends into your bars which to many (especially road bike with drop bars) is desirable. In Australia and especially New South Wales, police are now targeting riders in particular Roadies, and fining them for failing to have a bell or id. These bells blend in nicely to the clean lines of handlebars. The 'expensive' Bell is cheaper than the fine. Here in Australia, the bell is $26.

I have the old style (small) which I have hidden under my Garmin.

Last edited by giantcfr1; 03-12-16 at 06:26 PM.
giantcfr1 is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 07:14 PM
  #12  
JustinTW
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 24

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Sucker.

BTW Knog is a multinational corporation...in absolutely NO need of crowdfunding to build and sell anything. Knog is pretty much the antithesis of what Kickstarter is supposed to be about. Congrats on being the exact kind of person Knog was banking on (literally) with this pretty sleazy schtick.
Congrats on being an @ss.
JustinTW is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 07:19 PM
  #13  
Staypuft1652
Senior Member
 
Staypuft1652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is the third thread about this bell. Not trying to be rude, it does look cool, no matter the companies motives.
Staypuft1652 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 10:44 AM
  #14  
avidone1
Senior Member
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,066

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never really understood the need for a bell. When riding and wanting to let someone know I'm coming, I call out "Hello, passing on the left"
Does some stupid bell really make us safer?
avidone1 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 10:53 AM
  #15  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,060

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
I never really understood the need for a bell. When riding and wanting to let someone know I'm coming, I call out "Hello, passing on the left"
Does some stupid bell really make us safer?

In a mid-range scientific study I studiously performed on my local MUT over the years....

1) Approximately 90% of people have headphones jammed in their ears so loud you can hear them 10m away...and will never hear "on your left". But typically will react to a freewheel or bell.

2) Of the remaining 10% almost all have no idea what "on your left" actually means in traffic law, and when you say "on your left" do the perfectly natural thing of then leaping to their left into oncoming traffic.



Which means around here, saying "on your left" is the equivalent of going to the zoo and saying "Hi, Mr. Alligator do you want to eat me?". At best, the alligator will ignore you, and at worst it might misunderstand you.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 11:21 AM
  #16  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
I never really understood the need for a bell. When riding and wanting to let someone know I'm coming, I call out "Hello, passing on the left"
Never needed one here, people are generally polite and will move when asked in a non-aggressive manner.
Grey. is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 12:55 PM
  #17  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,635

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
2) Of the remaining 10% almost all have no idea what "on your left" actually means in traffic law, and when you say "on your left" do the perfectly natural thing of then leaping to their left into oncoming traffic.
Everyone says this but I have never seen it. Most either can't hear because they are listening to earbuds of which the majority of those folks are walking or running on the right side anyways. Those who are not listening to earbuds, the ones that are blocking the path are usually older couples (older as in 60's) and jump when they hear you call out and split jumping off of the path into the grass.

A bell would serve as an early warning sound so that they are not surprised. Ring it before you come and they will know someone is coming before you are there. Calling out, you have to be almost on top of them for them to hear a voice which is why they jump out of their skin when you call out. The sound of a bell is distinct and it will travel further than the human voice, unless you like screaming it at the top of your lungs when still at a distance away.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 02:49 PM
  #18  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,346

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Everyone says this but I have never seen it. Most either can't hear because they are listening to earbuds of which the majority of those folks are walking or running on the right side anyways. Those who are not listening to earbuds, the ones that are blocking the path are usually older couples (older as in 60's) and jump when they hear you call out and split jumping off of the path into the grass.

A bell would serve as an early warning sound so that they are not surprised. Ring it before you come and they will know someone is coming before you are there. Calling out, you have to be almost on top of them for them to hear a voice which is why they jump out of their skin when you call out. The sound of a bell is distinct and it will travel further than the human voice, unless you like screaming it at the top of your lungs when still at a distance away.
This pretty much reflects my experiences too, some are confused by unexpected encounters regardless of the source.

To most people a bell equates a bicycle, and understand its meaning, where as verbal greetings, and warnings are more ambiguous. Having a bell doesn't render one mute, it just gives one the option to use it.
kickstart is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 08:50 PM
  #19  
avidone1
Senior Member
 
avidone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: still above ground
Posts: 1,066

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still say it's a conspiracy by LBS cartel to force us to buy more product.
avidone1 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 10:06 PM
  #20  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
This pretty much reflects my experiences too, some are confused by unexpected encounters regardless of the source.

To most people a bell equates a bicycle, and understand its meaning, where as verbal greetings, and warnings are more ambiguous. Having a bell doesn't render one mute, it just gives one the option to use it.
Yep, also a bell sounds like a friendly reminder whereas sometimes you may end up sounding more aggressive than you mean to, as you try to give a verbal notification that you are around.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 10:07 PM
  #21  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Staypuft1652 View Post
I think this is the third thread about this bell. Not trying to be rude, it does look cool, no matter the companies motives.
This is the first one I have seen and I am grateful for that, as I missed the other two.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 10:28 PM
  #22  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,751

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got bells for the first time this year, and I have been amazed how positively people respond to them.

The Crane E-ne bells are awesome!
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 07:49 AM
  #23  
Staypuft1652
Senior Member
 
Staypuft1652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:-) Glad you saw this then, @ColonelSanders there seems to be alot of interest in this, there was one more new one yesterday as well. :-p
Staypuft1652 is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 04:14 PM
  #24  
altondavis2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using the Incredibell for several years.
Its quite durable and has an easily recognizable tone.
The ringer is also rotatible which makes it ez to rotate to a comfortable place.
https://www.rei.com/product/723524/m...c:cse_PLA_GOOG
altondavis2 is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 06:38 PM
  #25  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Panhandle WV
Posts: 1,309

Bikes: The growing fleet: Scott Sub Cross 30, Specialized Crosstrail Sport, Scott Scale 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Normally I would agree with some of you about just politely saying...........yelling GET OUT OF MY WAY!

But, I was recently told that some trails since they are so busy has a bell mandate for pedestrian traffic.
travbikeman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.