Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help decide first bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help decide first bike

Old 01-02-17, 12:53 PM
  #1  
joekeller
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 30

Bikes: None so far

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help decide first bike

Hi,

I'm ~45 years old man getting into biking to stay active/healthy. I plan to ride in neighborhood streets, trails, parks, etc.

How important is it to have disk brakes?

Would you recommend one of the following or any other bike?
Fuji Traverse 1.7 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2017
Trek 8.3 DS - Bicycles, Inc Hurst Fort Worth Arlington Southlake, Texas
GT Transeo 5.0 - 2017
Fuji Traverse 1.5 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2017
joekeller is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 12:16 PM
  #2  
JehD
Senior Member
 
JehD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 292

Bikes: 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX - Rusty Huffy and a broken Giant

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by joekeller View Post
Hi,


How important is it to have disk brakes?
For the type of riding you listing its not that important....BUT I have them on my bike and they are awesome. I had a Trek 8.4 and absolutely loved the hydro disc brakes. They were super smooth and seemed to require so little effort to use and had unbelievable stopping power. My current bike is a Electra Moto 3i and while it has mechanical disks I am really considering an upgrade. I just liked the feel and control.

As far as the bikes I am partial to the Trek. from what I see though you are looking at a sale price and most of the sizes listed are not available and that bike is normally around $870 so that might take it out of your consideration. If you still like the Trek the current DS2 is in the price range of the other bikes. They all look like good starter bikes and it would come down to whats available and fit/feel.
JehD is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 12:22 PM
  #3  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by joekeller View Post
Hi,

I'm ~45 years old man getting into biking to stay active/healthy. I plan to ride in neighborhood streets, trails, parks, etc.

How important is it to have disk brakes?

Would you recommend one of the following or any other bike?
Fuji Traverse 1.7 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2017
Trek 8.3 DS - Bicycles, Inc Hurst Fort Worth Arlington Southlake, Texas
GT Transeo 5.0 - 2017
Fuji Traverse 1.5 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2017
Not very important. Nice to have if you can afford it, but there are more important things to consider if you are looking to stay on a budget. I would say you don't need a heavy, energy sucking suspension fork, either unless you plan to ride some really rustic trails.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-21-17 at 12:25 PM.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 01:00 PM
  #4  
joekeller
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 30

Bikes: None so far

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying this 2016 Boilermaker 1.0 | SEBikes.com

It seems that this is the original thread that did not show up in the forum.
joekeller is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 01:04 PM
  #5  
king_boru
The Moose
 
king_boru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 217

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
I would say you don't need a heavy, energy sucking suspension fork, either unless you plan to ride some really rustic trails.
For puttsing around and enjoying life I don't think irking out every last ounce of energy really matters. Here is a non suspension bike in that price range that may suit your needs if you change your mind:

Rapid

Discs are decent but don't consider them a deal breaker. Something that has a good range of gears for mixed terrain and more importantly, something that fits properly will be the best purchase. So, go to your local bike shop and get fitted.
king_boru is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 01:21 PM
  #6  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
travbikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Panhandle WV
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by joekeller View Post
I ended up buying this 2016 Boilermaker 1.0 | SEBikes.com

It seems that this is the original thread that did not show up in the forum.
That's a nice SE. Pictures??
travbikeman is offline  
Old 01-21-17, 02:35 PM
  #7  
jase33
Senior Member
 
jase33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 204

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joekeller View Post
I ended up buying this 2016 Boilermaker 1.0 | SEBikes.com

It seems that this is the original thread that did not show up in the forum.

That's a nice looking bike.
jase33 is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 10:59 PM
  #8  
speedhunter
Ghost rider
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend disk brakes if you are a speed chaser. Disk brakes are luxury if you ride below 10 MPH.
speedhunter is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 10:38 PM
  #9  
JehD
Senior Member
 
JehD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 292

Bikes: 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX - Rusty Huffy and a broken Giant

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
I would say you don't need a heavy, energy sucking suspension fork, either unless you plan to ride some really rustic trails.
I see this a lot around here. Unless you're riding down Everest you don't need front suspension. While technically true, in the same vein you dont technically need more than 1 gear. Just pedal harder and faster and let you arms suck up the bumps and you can get the same exercise on a 50lb cruiser from Walmart for $79.

There is more to it though. A suspension fork is well worth the minor weight penalty in ride comfort alone. They suck up all the jarring bumps from cement cracks and expansion joints and make the ride so much nicer especially for a newer rider. The loss of power is almost nonexistent unless you are standing to pedal.

Ride 2 similar bikes back to back even on city streets and the ride quality is night and day. Bottom line, do you need a suspension fork and disk brakes? probably not. Would you like them once you rode them? Definitely. Worth the extra money? IMHO Yes.
JehD is offline  
Old 01-26-17, 07:24 AM
  #10  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD View Post
I see this a lot around here. Unless you're riding down Everest you don't need front suspension. While technically true, in the same vein you dont technically need more than 1 gear. Just pedal harder and faster and let you arms suck up the bumps and you can get the same exercise on a 50lb cruiser from Walmart for $79.

There is more to it though. A suspension fork is well worth the minor weight penalty in ride comfort alone. They suck up all the jarring bumps from cement cracks and expansion joints and make the ride so much nicer especially for a newer rider. The loss of power is almost nonexistent unless you are standing to pedal.

Ride 2 similar bikes back to back even on city streets and the ride quality is night and day. Bottom line, do you need a suspension fork and disk brakes? probably not. Would you like them once you rode them? Definitely. Worth the extra money? IMHO Yes.
To each his own. I ride bikes with suspension forks from time to time when I rent bikes on vacation. And every time I do, my opinion is, at least for the lower end ones that make up rental fleets, that they suck. Always happy to get home and ride my own bike.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 01-26-17, 08:23 AM
  #11  
JehD
Senior Member
 
JehD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 292

Bikes: 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX - Rusty Huffy and a broken Giant

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
To each his own. I ride bikes with suspension forks from time to time when I rent bikes on vacation. And every time I do, my opinion is, at least for the lower end ones that make up rental fleets, that they suck. Always happy to get home and ride my own bike.

I don't doubt that. The bikes the guys is looking at are considered entry level but they are a few steps above the Walmart stuff. I think that none of them are for serious off road as the tires are to thin. 700/38 just don't cut it in any thing soft. But fro trails/chipped roads and even bad city streets a 63 mm form makes a super nice upgrade.
JehD is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rlk1000
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
13
10-10-17 08:32 AM
SattyG
Hybrid Bicycles
1
05-22-15 02:51 PM
Spykez
Mountain Biking
11
09-11-13 11:29 AM
newbiemtbr
Mountain Biking
5
08-12-10 03:18 PM
Witterings
Mountain Biking
13
07-08-10 07:24 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.