Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Tires with less rolling resistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/1111508-tires-less-rolling-resistance.html)

rwing93 06-15-17 11:08 PM

Tires with less rolling resistance
 
I own a Giant Cypress DX. It comes with 700c tires that have a width of 38mm. It seems that the rolling resistance is high with these tires.I don't do any off road or trail riding. I would like to increase my speed and decrease my rolling resistance.Any suggestions would help on replacement tires.

MRT2 06-16-17 12:34 AM

Do you have a basis for comparison?

Wanderer 06-16-17 06:13 AM

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme! Put a 35 on the front, and a 40 on the back. You will keep the comfort, and improve handling and rolling resistance.

fietsbob 06-16-17 06:35 AM

Expensive ones.. high thread count , slick, very thin tread rubber. ... can be wider .. like Compass sells.

hokiefyd 06-16-17 06:47 AM

According to this website:

Tour/E-Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires have the lowest rolling resistance in their class that he's tested. Of his list, I sort of like the Continental Sport Contact II -- near the best in terms of rolling resistance, very light weight, and less expensive than the Schwalbes. Though the Marathon Supreme also looks good -- not near as heavy as some of the other Marathon tires they offer.

AlmostTrick 06-16-17 06:52 AM

After putting Compass tires on my hybrid over two years ago I was so impressed that I've since put 'em on two other bikes. Amazing ride.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps59wrg1ak.jpg

HTupolev 06-16-17 06:56 AM

To optimize for smooth rolling, you'll want something that's designed more or less like a performance road tire. Not a lot of options if you want to keep the tire width, but they do exist...

Panaracer Paselas are affordable and you can't go wrong with them.

If you want something fancier, Compass tires are phenomenal.

rumrunn6 06-16-17 07:09 AM

I have Michelin PRO4 Endurance 700x25 on my road bike. you can get them up to 28mm

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...FUdWDQodILwKrA

robert schlatte 06-16-17 07:27 AM

Compass are expensive tires. How about non tourguard Panaracer paselas with skinwalls. You may have to fix more flats though.

Scooty Puff Jr 06-16-17 09:29 AM

I will take flat protection over less rolling resistance any day. :) If the OP is strictly riding paved roads then I'd suggest switching to a 700x32 tire, less weight and higher pressure normally make for a better rolling tire.

HTupolev 06-16-17 01:21 PM


Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr (Post 19657283)
higher pressure normally make for a better rolling tire.

Higher pressures decrease the amount that a tire deforms as it rolls, which is what results in less hysteresis loss. Wider tires can't be pumped as high, but they also deform less at a given pressure, so they don't *need* to be pumped as high to achieve similarly low losses. (And since they're squishier at the same amount of hysteresis loss, they work better as suspension, so they actually end up with lower rolling resistance as surfaces get rougher.)

You still end up with bigger aero profile, but this is pretty darn insignificant at the speeds people tend to ride their hybrids.

Overall it's usually pretty close to a wash. For paved speed, the really important thing with road tires is getting good high-performance road tires, and configuring them reasonably. Whether they're 25mm or 35mm doesn't make a ton of difference.
(The trick is finding good wide high-performance road tires. That market is very small, which is why several people have mentioned Compass; they're about the only brand with a relatively complete-ish lineup.)

rumrunn6 06-16-17 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by HTupolev (Post 19657772)
Higher pressures decrease the amount that a tire deforms as it rolls, which is what results in less hysteresis loss. Wider tires can't be pumped as high, but they also deform less at a given pressure, so they don't *need* to be pumped as high to achieve similarly low losses. (And since they're squishier at the same amount of hysteresis loss, they work better as suspension, so they actually end up with lower rolling resistance as surfaces get rougher.)You still end up with bigger aero profile, but this is pretty darn insignificant at the speeds people tend to ride their hybrids

question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire

HTupolev 06-16-17 03:48 PM


Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 19657871)
question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire

Personally I'd be a little nervous about such close clearance. If the tires expand over time or sometimes don't get set carefully, they might start eating your stays. But as long as you pay attention it shouldn't be an issue.

The difference? The narrower tires would weigh slightly less, ride slightly less plush.

tyrion 06-16-17 04:05 PM


Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 19657871)
question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire

The bigger tires might rub when you pedal hard and the back end flexes.

canklecat 06-16-17 10:32 PM

Try a lower handlebar position. Comfort hybrids like your Giant Cypress and my Globe Carmel waste some energy efficiency in exchange for comfort. A few adjustments will make more difference than a relatively minor tire swap.

After getting back into shape riding the Globe back in 2015 I lowered the handlebar and then eventually swapped the riser bar for a flat bar. Getting the bar within an inch or so above saddle height made a big difference yet is still comfortable (although it took a few months of overall conditioning).

Next I tried a firmer saddle. Not a hard, uncomfortable saddle, just one that's a bit firmer. The original was heavily padded with springs. A saddle with somewhat flexible nylon frame and Lycra over resilient but thinner foam was more efficient. No real loss of comfort because the bike's long wheelbase and tires soaked up most bumps.

If your Cypress has a suspension seat post, try a solid seat post. Again, there are some trade offs between comfort and efficiency. An exception could be a pricey Thudbuster or similar Suntour post.

I'm actually running heavier, wider puncture resistant tires now than the originals. They roll more smoothly and comfortable at lower pressure without feeling sluggish.

If I wanted lighter weight but still comfortable and efficient tires I'd go with Continental Speed Rides on my comfort hybrid. I've been running a pair of Speed Rides on my mountain bike for several months and they're outstanding all around tires and great values.

RAF M 06-19-17 12:00 AM

Continental grand prix 4 season if you have the money. Conti Gatorskin is a similar one at a lower price but slightly greater puncture resistance. I'd recommend these tires if you plan on going narrower like 28-32mms. These wheels will add 0.5-1.5 mph to your average speed because of their relatively lower rolling resistance compared to most stock hybrid tires.

coominya 06-19-17 03:11 AM


Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 19658620)
Try a lower handlebar position. Comfort hybrids like your Giant Cypress and my Globe Carmel waste some energy efficiency in exchange for comfort. A few adjustments will make more difference than a relatively minor tire swap.

Definitely! The cypress is a great bike but it's not built for speed. If you have a model with the adjustable handlebar stem, and they all seem to from the pix, then see if you can lower it and still get a comfortable ride.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/...77197207_2.jpg

Delmarva 06-19-17 11:56 AM


Originally Posted by rwing93 (Post 19656766)
I own a Giant Cypress DX. It comes with 700c tires that have a width of 38mm. It seems that the rolling resistance is high with these tires.I don't do any off road or trail riding. I would like to increase my speed and decrease my rolling resistance.Any suggestions would help on replacement tires.

Your bike probably has Giant Multi Surface tires which are designed to be comfortable on road and trail riding. You may want to switch to a 35mm or 32mm tire with a smoother tread surface. A Michelin City would be one option. Your local bike shop should have some other reasonably priced tires.

rwing93 06-19-17 08:03 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.