Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 08-06-23, 08:16 AM
  #951  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 116

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Danmozy66 if this bike is yours, would you mind letting me know what handlebar that is? Thanks!
this is not my bike itís from an earlier post from this same thread, i was using as inspiration. I am pretty sure they said it was cannondale cruise control! Looks sweet huh
Danmozy66 is offline  
Likes For Danmozy66:
Old 08-06-23, 11:53 AM
  #952  
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,619

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 846 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
I got the bike. And sorry, touchť I meant to say grip shifts, not thumbies. I have some spare thumbies lying around, Iím going to see about compatibility. Still undecided on what to do for cockpit/bars type though. I now have a set of nicer 700 is the reason why, and even after cleaning out the hubs the wheels are tired and a bit wonky. And this seat post weighs a ton, and it no longer springs up and down either.

Regarding your point about the frame level for this year, the funny thing is, if you look at the catalogue for 1998 this 730 was actually the highest tier steel one (there was no 750-790). Thatís why Iím curious about what (in theory) their best steel was for this year and how it stacks up against some of these other higher specíd earlier multitrack frames. Guess they started going away from steel to focus on aluminum. Wonder if they were still putting as much consideration into the steel frames at this point
Have you checked the trueness of the wheels? They may just need a tweak. As for the cockpit, ride it awhile and you'll figure out what you want. Definitely show us pics when you have it dialed in. Have fun!
Korina is offline  
Old 08-06-23, 04:28 PM
  #953  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
Regarding your point about the frame level for this year, the funny thing is, if you look at the catalogue for 1998 this 730 was actually the highest tier steel one (there was no 750-790). Thatís why Iím curious about what (in theory) their best steel was for this year and how it stacks up against some of these other higher specíd earlier multitrack frames. Guess they started going away from steel to focus on aluminum. Wonder if they were still putting as much consideration into the steel frames at this point
So "full chromo" is good, as cheaper frames will have heavier hi-ten stays.

The last 750s will be the name-brand double-butted tubing (less material, same strength) and the made-in-USA construction (American flag decal). Some Treks had USA fronts with Taiwan rears as well.

Practically, the main difference would be the double butting, which provides a nicer ride and lower weight.

This was around the time steel bikes were eliminated from the manufacturer's catalogs, companies like Jamis would be one of the few with high end steel bikes for many years. Trek, like others went Al for mid range.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 08-06-23, 05:46 PM
  #954  
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 4,092

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
this is not my bike itís from an earlier post from this same thread, i was using as inspiration. I am pretty sure they said it was cannondale cruise control! Looks sweet huh
Thanks -- yes, this looks like the one. Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Cannondale-Cr.../dp/B07XNJ4NLW
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 08-12-23, 04:06 PM
  #955  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 116

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
So "full chromo" is good, as cheaper frames will have heavier hi-ten stays.

The last 750s will be the name-brand double-butted tubing (less material, same strength) and the made-in-USA construction (American flag decal). Some Treks had USA fronts with Taiwan rears as well.

Practically, the main difference would be the double butting, which provides a nicer ride and lower weight.

This was around the time steel bikes were eliminated from the manufacturer's catalogs, companies like Jamis would be one of the few with high end steel bikes for many years. Trek, like others went Al for mid range.
like I mentioned a couple times, there was no 750 in this catalogue year though. So no name brand tubes at all?
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-12-23, 04:53 PM
  #956  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 170

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
like I mentioned a couple times, there was no 750 in this catalogue year though. So no name brand tubes at all?
I have a 1998 730; label says "Cro-Moly Main Frame." No name brand tubes (as compared to, say, my slight-older 930 that says True Temper). Someone shared this comparison of steel Multitrack frame materials a while back, in this thread I believe https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...NHc/edit#gid=0 which might be interesting.
That said, I very much like the way my 730 rides, and I don't think I could tell the difference if it did have name-brand tubes.
nathand is offline  
Old 08-12-23, 04:54 PM
  #957  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 116

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I have a 1998 730; label says "Cro-Moly Main Frame." No name brand tubes (as compared to, say, my slight-older 930 that says True Temper). Someone shared this comparison of steel Multitrack frame materials a while back, in this thread I believe https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...NHc/edit#gid=0 which might be interesting.
That said, I very much like the way my 730 rides, and I don't think I could tell the difference if it did have name-brand tubes.
thanks! Same
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-14-23, 04:53 AM
  #958  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
like I mentioned a couple times, there was no 750 in this catalogue year though.
I never said there was, you asked how they stacked up to previous "top end" hybrid steel

Originally Posted by Danmozy66
So no name brand tubes at all?
Nope, and no butts either
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 08-14-23, 04:56 AM
  #959  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 116

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I never said there was, you asked how they stacked up to previous "top end" hybrid steel



Nope, and no butts either
gotcha, this makes sense. Interesting point about ride quality. This non butted oneÖcoincidentally doesnít feel very good to ride actually

Last edited by Danmozy66; 08-14-23 at 05:05 AM.
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-23-23, 08:10 PM
  #960  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66
gotcha, this makes sense. Interesting point about ride quality. This non butted oneÖcoincidentally doesnít feel very good to ride actually
FWIW, my 96 750 is not very plush either. It tracks straight and cruises downhill but its not a lightweight snappy ride, the fat 31.8mm seat tube is what I blame for the thuddy rear. I don't blame it, its derived from a tourer.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 09-23-23, 05:32 PM
  #961  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 170

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 49 Posts
Help me with a Multitrack sizing question - how much different is a 19" vs a 17"? I'm 5'8"; will a 19" likely fit me, or be too big? I have two 17" Multitracks - one from '92 and the other from '98 - that both feel a little small (especially the '92), so I'm thinking the next size up will fit well, but I also have an 18" 930 SingleTrack that feels slightly too big. Seems like there's a lot of variation year to year for the same listed size. Looking at buying a 19" 1996 730 but it's far enough away that I don't want to make the trip there if it's not likely to fit.
nathand is offline  
Old 09-25-23, 11:13 AM
  #962  
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 4,092

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Help me with a Multitrack sizing question - how much different is a 19" vs a 17"? I'm 5'8"; will a 19" likely fit me, or be too big? I have two 17" Multitracks - one from '92 and the other from '98 - that both feel a little small (especially the '92), so I'm thinking the next size up will fit well, but I also have an 18" 930 SingleTrack that feels slightly too big. Seems like there's a lot of variation year to year for the same listed size. Looking at buying a 19" 1996 730 but it's far enough away that I don't want to make the trip there if it's not likely to fit.
I would recommend looking at the sizing charts in the old techincal manuals on vintage-trek.com. I bet the 18" 930 has a longer top tube, which makes it feel large. The 19" 730 might have a shorter top tube, helping it to feel like a shorter or smaller bike.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 09-25-23, 11:33 AM
  #963  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 170

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I would recommend looking at the sizing charts in the old techincal manuals on vintage-trek.com. I bet the 18" 930 has a longer top tube, which makes it feel large. The 19" 730 might have a shorter top tube, helping it to feel like a shorter or smaller bike.
Thanks! I put together a spreadsheet comparing my mid-90's Treks, and the does 930 have a significantly longer effective top tube (580mm) versus the 730 (555mm) as you suggested. Conversely, the standover height on the 930 is an inch lower (29.5in) than on the 730 (30.6in) which is making it hard for me to picture how that's going to feel. I'm pretty sure the 730 is going to work for me, though; I can manage that standover (slightly less than my much-newer gravel bike) and the Trek manuals list the reach for the 19" 730 (648mm) as between the 17" 730 (589mm), and the 18" 930 (683mm) so that should be about right. At worst I might need to swap for a shorter stem. Should be picking up the bike next week!
nathand is offline  
Likes For nathand:
Old 09-25-23, 02:15 PM
  #964  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sautee Nacoochee, Ga.
Posts: 43

Bikes: 1993 Giant Rincon, 1993 Trek MultiTrack 720, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Giant Innova, 1995 Trek MultiTrack 700 (stolen from my possession but still mine!)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Help me with a Multitrack sizing question - how much different is a 19" vs a 17"? I'm 5'8"; will a 19" likely fit me, or be too big?
I'm also 5'8" and I have owned a 19" 1995 700 and a 17" 1992 720. The 19" was perfect for me and a real joy to ride. (It was stolen in July 2013.) I can ride the 17" with no issues but it feels a little small.
I've also had a 17" 800 and it was a good fit and a great ride for the mean streets of the ATL. (Lots of potholes in da dirty south.)

Last edited by ja1124; 09-25-23 at 04:29 PM.
ja1124 is offline  
Likes For ja1124:
Old 09-29-23, 08:45 AM
  #965  
Coquetdale Pagans
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I've just acquired a considerably worn 1991 750 in that year's Black with White on Yellow and Silver colourway. It is basically stock except for saddle, tyres, brake blocks and rust. What's the opinion on the stock Suntour XCE drivetrain? 7 speed, screw-on freewheel, OG Rapidfire-like shifter pods which are extremely mushy and slow to shift right now, but do shift. Is it worth servicing and saving? There are mixed messages out there as to how well a set of Shimano shifters would work with the Suntour XCE derailleurs. Has anyone else tried this?
wstephenson is offline  
Old 09-29-23, 09:19 AM
  #966  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 466 Posts
Suntour XCE would be lower range but still all metal, so pretty decent.

Xpress shifters were pretty cool IMO BITD and I do recall that they do work well. The only issue is that they use a non-standard cable; its not a big deal as they are still available.

Having said that, Suntour indexing was not as good as Shimano's, due to the lack of the floating top pulley. This makes Shimano derailleurs easier to index with than Suntour's. Personally, I've gone the other way - Suntour shifters w/ Shimano derailleurs with no issues. If anything, I'd swap the shifters to thumbies.

But if you need a new freewheel, I'd start with that. See what you can find first. Suntour used slightly different spacing between cogs, so if you cannot find a Suntour freewheel you can use a Shimano one. At that point, a Shimano shifter would be a better idea. Something like a Sachs Arris might let you keep your shifters as they could play well with either.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 09-29-23, 09:29 AM
  #967  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wstephenson
I've just acquired a considerably worn 1991 750 in that year's Black with White on Yellow and Silver colourway. It is basically stock except for saddle, tyres, brake blocks and rust. What's the opinion on the stock Suntour XCE drivetrain? 7 speed, screw-on freewheel, OG Rapidfire-like shifter pods which are extremely mushy and slow to shift right now, but do shift. Is it worth servicing and saving? There are mixed messages out there as to how well a set of Shimano shifters would work with the Suntour XCE derailleurs. Has anyone else tried this?
While I havenít tried this specific combo, I do this kind of thing all the time. The spacing on that freewheel and crankset should be standard and I think the indexing in newer shifters should work fine if the derailleurs are in good shape. Itís an easy and low-risk thing to try if you are near a community bike shop and can get a used set of newer shifters dirt cheap. Even new trigger shifters are inexpensive now. I suggest you give the MicroSHIFT offerings a look, too.
daywood is offline  
Old 09-29-23, 09:46 AM
  #968  
Coquetdale Pagans
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
If anything, I'd swap the shifters to thumbies.
I'm undecided as yet what to do with the cockpit. I just restored a '91 520 and used Shimano 7 speed bar end shifters on drop bars. I am sort of tempted to try the Microshift brifters too, if I put drops on this one. If I keep the swept 'moon bars' off my current town bike, it will be some form of thumbies, but original ones in non-thrashed condition are hard to get/expensive in Europe.

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
If you cannot find a Suntour freewheel you can use a Shimano one. At that point, a Shimano shifter would be a better idea. Something like a Sachs Arris might let you keep your shifters as they could play well with either.
Wow, I just assumed that Suntour and Shimano hubs used different screw-on threads. It's been a loong time since I thought about screw-on freewheels. Thanks for that very useful piece of information. I haven't opened the hubs up yet to see if they are going to be usable. The front one is rough feeling (uh-oh) and the rear hub is loose.

Originally Posted by daywood
While I havenít tried this specific combo, I do this kind of thing all the time. The spacing on that freewheel and crankset should be standard and I think the indexing in newer shifters should work fine if the derailleurs are in good shape. Itís an easy and low-risk thing to try if you are near a community bike shop and can get a used set of newer shifters dirt cheap. Even new trigger shifters are inexpensive now. I suggest you give the MicroSHIFT offerings a look, too.
Unfortunately in my corner of Germany, community bike shops or coops aren't really a thing. There are just bike shops that look at you funny if you come in with anything over 5 years old, and bike shops who will try to help you, but it will be at MRRP. I will clean and flush everything and see how well it runs. If it's still mushy, I'll probably put a Shimano drivetrain on as suggested, drop bars and a set of used ST-A410 brifters or Microshifts and see how things work out with the Suntour drivetrain.
wstephenson is offline  
Old 09-29-23, 12:20 PM
  #969  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 2,172

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
The spacing on that freewheel and crankset should be standard and I think the indexing in newer shifters should work fine if the derailleurs are in good shape.
Suntour used a different spacing between cogs, cog thickness, and overall width than Shimano. The derailleurs had the same actuation, however.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 09-29-23, 04:17 PM
  #970  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Suntour used a different spacing between cogs, cog thickness, and overall width than Shimano. The derailleurs had the same actuation, however.
Luck may have been on my side or my SunTours may have been of uncertain vintage but I havenít encountered problems mixing and matching. But they are cheap experiments to run and the worst case is that you will have components to start or grow your parts bin for later. 😀
daywood is offline  
Old 10-02-23, 03:26 PM
  #971  
Coquetdale Pagans
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
So mainly "because I can" but also because I have to completely strip the frame down to rust treat it, I'm going to start with an old 105 R5700 groupset and drop bars and see how that looks. The 53.5/55.6cm frame dimensions are close to enough to my 'modern' 2015 steel cross/touring/gravel frame that is currently being repainted. After i get tired of that, i will probably do a period build with a bunch of Deore DX parts I have left over from the previous project and some poor man's Gevenalle Tektros using 3D printed parts that a nice person on ****** linked me to. Then it will be a matching partner to the 520.
wstephenson is offline  
Old 10-02-23, 03:29 PM
  #972  
Coquetdale Pagans
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Also, does anyone have experience of using an oxalic acid solution bath to remove interior rust on vintage Trek frames, particularly whether the paint and decals (some of which are scuffed so the clear coat above is not intact) will withstand this treatment? It's supposed to be less harsh to paint than a phosphoric acid treatment, and more effective than OTC rust converters, as long as the acid is neutralised afterwards and the frame cavities treated with a rustproofer like Weigle's.
wstephenson is offline  
Old 10-03-23, 04:40 AM
  #973  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,855

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 774 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wstephenson
I am sort of tempted to try the Microshift brifters too...
For what it's worth.. I recently installed Microshift brifters(as I wanted to try them also as the cost about the same as very good condition used brifters) on two bikes(drop bar conversions of a mountain bike and a hybrid) and I like them. The hoods feel good and they shift very well. My other bikes run mostly Ultegra shifters..MS are good too.

(I also responded to your PM..though you have less than 10 posts so you may not be able to see it yet)
fishboat is offline  
Old 10-03-23, 06:38 AM
  #974  
Full Member
 
mixteup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 384

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by wstephenson
Also, does anyone have experience of using an oxalic acid solution bath to remove interior rust on vintage Trek frames, particularly whether the paint and decals (some of which are scuffed so the clear coat above is not intact) will withstand this treatment? It's supposed to be less harsh to paint than a phosphoric acid treatment, and more effective than OTC rust converters, as long as the acid is neutralised afterwards and the frame cavities treated with a rustproofer like Weigle's.
I haven't posted here for a long time, but I saw this, and can speak from experience.
Oxalic acid won't affect most colors of paint, or chrome, or decals, from my experience with it - BUT, do NOT use it on anything RED colored.
The acid has an affinity for rust only, and won't affect un-rusted steel, but rust is iron oxide, and it's related to the pigments used for red paint.
It will bleach out red paint, and turn it to a pink-ish color.
mixteup is offline  
Old 10-03-23, 11:58 PM
  #975  
Coquetdale Pagans
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The hoods feel good and they shift very well. My other bikes run mostly Ultegra shifters..MS are good too. (I also responded to your PM..though you have less than 10 posts so you may not be able to see it yet)
Thanks, that's helpful. However,I found a set of VGC used 105 so will use those with my spare 5800 set (the STIs I have with that are the ST-RS685 non-group hydraulic ones). I assumed you were the author of the inaccessible PM from my profile visitor's list. Since I got the bike, and it has a blue TT AVR decal, I guess that's what you were telling me. Now I should be at 10 posts and able to access the mailbox.
wstephenson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.