Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

18' Toughroad SLR2

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

18' Toughroad SLR2

Old 07-12-17, 07:11 AM
  #1  
FM1178
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FM1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 95

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
18' Toughroad SLR2

For everyone that doesn't care for the Toughroad SLR1 paint. Maybe the SLR2 will be more appealing.

[IMG][URL=https://s288.photobucket.com/user/dhagy74/media/IMG_0692_zpsruv7eztp.jpg.html][/URL

Frame ALUXX SLR grade aluminium
Fork Composite with alloy steerer, low-rider rack mounts
Handlebar Giant Connect, low-rise, 31.8mm
Stem Giant Connect, 8 degree
Seat Post Giant D-Fuse, alloy
Saddle Giant Contact, Neutral
Shifters Shimano Acera, 27sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
Brakes Shimano M315 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M315 hydraulic
Cassette Shimano HG201, 11-34T, 9sp
Chain KMC X9
Crankset Shimano M351, 22-32-44T
Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
Rims Giant SX-2 disc
Hubs Giant sport disc, 32H
Spokes Stainless steel, 14g
Tyres Giant Sycamore, w/puncture protect, 700x50c
Extras X-Defender down tube protector

Last edited by FM1178; 07-12-17 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Update
FM1178 is offline  
Old 07-12-17, 07:46 AM
  #2  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,054

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 162 Posts
50mm tires a bit overkill, no?
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 07-12-17, 07:50 AM
  #3  
FM1178
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FM1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 95

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's came with 50mm tires since its first year. Seems most riders, myself included, mount up a thinner set of tires. Mine has 700x38s on it.
FM1178 is offline  
Old 07-12-17, 08:54 AM
  #4  
zaxmalloy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 103

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178 View Post
For everyone that doesn't care for the Toughroad SLR1 paint. Maybe the SLR2 will be more appealing.

[IMG][URL=https://s288.photobucket.com/user/dhagy74/media/IMG_0692_zpsruv7eztp.jpg.html][/URL

Frame ALUXX SLR grade aluminium
Fork Composite with alloy steerer, low-rider rack mounts
Handlebar Giant Connect, low-rise, 31.8mm
Stem Giant Connect, 8 degree
Seat Post Giant D-Fuse, alloy
Saddle Giant Contact, Neutral
Shifters Shimano Acera, 27sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
Brakes Shimano M315 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M315 hydraulic
Cassette Shimano HG201, 11-34T, 9sp
Chain KMC X9
Crankset Shimano M351, 22-32-44T
Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
Rims Giant SX-2 disc
Hubs Giant sport disc, 32H
Spokes Stainless steel, 14g
Tyres Giant Sycamore, w/puncture protect, 700x50c
Extras X-Defender down tube protector
As another person that has delayed purchasing my new bike based on out of stock situation of the 2017 models, this is much better...a bit randomly red but certainly prefer it over the green of the SLR1.
zaxmalloy is offline  
Old 07-12-17, 11:17 AM
  #5  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,944

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178 View Post
For everyone that doesn't care for the Toughroad SLR1 paint. Maybe the SLR2 will be more appealing.

[IMG][URL=https://s288.photobucket.com/user/dhagy74/media/IMG_0692_zpsruv7eztp.jpg.html][/URL

Frame ALUXX SLR grade aluminium
Fork Composite with alloy steerer, low-rider rack mounts
Handlebar Giant Connect, low-rise, 31.8mm
Stem Giant Connect, 8 degree
Seat Post Giant D-Fuse, alloy
Saddle Giant Contact, Neutral
Shifters Shimano Acera, 27sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
Brakes Shimano M315 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M315 hydraulic
Cassette Shimano HG201, 11-34T, 9sp
Chain KMC X9
Crankset Shimano M351, 22-32-44T
Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
Rims Giant SX-2 disc
Hubs Giant sport disc, 32H
Spokes Stainless steel, 14g
Tyres Giant Sycamore, w/puncture protect, 700x50c
Extras X-Defender down tube protector
In Australia when I bought my Toughroad SLR 2, the decision was made easy for me by three factors.

1. In Australia, the Toughroad SLR 1 was priced about $75USD higher than it should have been, if you compare the SLR 1 to the SLR 2 and then do currency exchange.

2. A local store had a tremendous discount of 30% on the SLR 2

3. The SLR 2 has the same quality frame, fork & wheels as the SLR 1, so I could upgrade the running gear at my leisure to get a bike equal to the SLR 1, but have it be exactly what I want and have it be cheaper to boot.

Replacing the SLR 2 crank with this baby for 65 Euro, it was a fantastic update and one that I heartily recommend.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 07-13-17, 10:26 AM
  #6  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
50mm tires a bit overkill, no?
No. Perfect for what the bike is made for.

That is much better color scheme on that bike.
prj71 is offline  
Old 07-13-17, 11:55 AM
  #7  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
50mm tires a bit overkill, no?
Depends on the tough road.
HTupolev is online now  
Old 07-13-17, 04:45 PM
  #8  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,054

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
No. Perfect for what the bike is made for.

That is much better color scheme on that bike.
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Depends on the tough road.
You may as well put front suspension on that thing and call it a Roam.
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 07-14-17, 04:59 AM
  #9  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
You may as well put front suspension on that thing and call it a Roam.
You totally miss the point of this bike and it's intended use.

The roam is made to appeal to those that actually think 63mm of cheap heavy suspension travel is worth buying on a bike.
prj71 is offline  
Old 07-15-17, 12:18 PM
  #10  
king_boru
The Moose
 
king_boru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 217

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
The roam is made to appeal to those that actually think 63mm of cheap heavy suspension travel is worth buying on a bike.
Ouch, or those that appreciate the quality of the frame and see beyond the price point suspension in light of a future upgrade. Every bike will have its non groupset components and hardware that is considered lackluster in the eyes of different people.

Blanketing "those" in the manner of your statement is quite elitist of you. One could suggest you miss the intended purpose of the Roam.
king_boru is offline  
Old 07-16-17, 02:42 AM
  #11  
lestat
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
50mm tires a bit overkill, no?
I have the 2016 SLR2 which I have been using my for commuting to work (15Kms each way) with Schwalbe Marathon 700x50c tyres on with racks, panniers, and mudguards.

On the weekends usually Sunday, I strip it down (15min job) and change back the tyres to its stock tyres Maxxis Maxxlite 29x2.0" at 45-50PSI. I have been riding in You Yangs Track 14 (Very Difficult grade) with switchbacks and pump track jumps with about 3M heights. So these tyres are not overkill but essential.

I have put in narrower Schwalbe Marathon tyres and commute on them, but I prefer the my commute ride on the wider version. I used the narrow one when I ride with my roadie friends on some weekends.
lestat is offline  
Old 07-16-17, 08:31 AM
  #12  
PDKL45
Senior Member
 
PDKL45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Korea
Posts: 538

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 46 Posts
I used to have BBQs up on the You Yangs when I lived in Australia. You're not commuting in Geelong are you? Sometimes I miss that city.
PDKL45 is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 12:31 PM
  #13  
fabian.milea
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lestat View Post
I have the 2016 SLR2 which I have been using my for commuting to work (15Kms each way) with Schwalbe Marathon 700x50c tyres on with racks, panniers, and mudguards.

On the weekends usually Sunday, I strip it down (15min job) and change back the tyres to its stock tyres Maxxis Maxxlite 29x2.0" at 45-50PSI. I have been riding in You Yangs Track 14 (Very Difficult grade) with switchbacks and pump track jumps with about 3M heights. So these tyres are not overkill but essential.

I have put in narrower Schwalbe Marathon tyres and commute on them, but I prefer the my commute ride on the wider version. I used the narrow one when I ride with my roadie friends on some weekends.
I also use 700x2.0 Marathon Mondials for paved roads and gravel roads and put on the original Maxxis tires on off-road, trails and during winter. I like to adjust the preasure in the tires when moving from paved to gravel and I like the way the confort is there even without the suspension in the fork. After using my TR SRL1 for 10 months and more than 2000km, I don't think I'll want a bike with any suspention... Infact if I decide to have two bikes, I'll have a road touring bike and a fat bike for off-road bikepaking... But the TR does the job of both (almost)...
fabian.milea is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
khan112794
General Cycling Discussion
3
06-04-17 10:04 AM
Erixon84
For Sale
2
10-02-16 05:20 AM
one4smoke
Road Cycling
6
03-01-16 03:57 PM
k4k7uz
Road Cycling
27
02-18-13 06:38 AM
MegaDave
Mountain Biking
4
10-01-11 06:06 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.