Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/)
-   -   Missing Manuals (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/1145781-missing-manuals.html)

Nightcap 06-02-18 01:29 PM

Missing Manuals
 
I just picked up a brand spankiní new Specialized Roll Elite from my LBS and drove it home. Lovely bike. But now Iím a bit confused.

Before I retired, I was a computer geek. Iím from back in the day when every computer and piece of software came with thick manuals in three-ring binders, often in cloth-bound slip cases. Now, you just download and go, nothing comes with a manual anymore.

Ditto with bikes, apparently. I received a thin and very generic Specialized manual written in 2007, before the Roll was even a dream in the designerís eye. Nothing about those fancy valve caps showing green to indicate the tires are at the correct pressure. Exactly what pressure are they set to? Nothing about the hydraulic disk brakes, which Iíve never used before. I figured out the shifters on the ride home by trial and error - never used that sort before. No information about the little shock absorber in the saddle, or how to adjust the handlebars, or what torque is required, or anything that wasnít written by a lawyer and intended to minimize liability. (Did you know your bicycle can kill you? If it sneaks up on you in the middle of the night and holds a pillow over your face, Specialized is not liable.)

OK, itís been a while since I bought a new bike, and a lot has changed. Is there any place I can find a real manual? Is there a modern-day equivalent of my teenage bible, Richardís Bicycle Book? Where can I find a vade mecum for the modern bike?


muddyrock 06-02-18 02:27 PM

hmmm I just did a quick google search and lead me to the Specialized Roll Elite product page but as you mentioned the manual is from 2007 :foo:.

As for you tire pressure if you scroll down towards tho bottom of the page is says 25-50 PSI for 650b x 2.3". I should also state this on the tire it self, Probably small put it is there. Me, I would run them between 35-40. Thats Just me and not sure how that would work for you. Perhaps some one else will have better info or call your shop and see if they may be of more help.


https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ni...flect/p/131655

Congrats on the new bike!!!!

Nightcap 06-02-18 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by muddyrock (Post 20373233)
hmmm I just did a quick google search and lead me to the Specialized Roll Elite product page but as you mentioned the manual is from 2007 :foo:.

As for you tire pressure if you scroll down towards tho bottom of the page is says 25-50 PSI for 650b x 2.3". I should also state this on the tire it self, Probably small put it is there. Me, I would run them between 35-40. Thats Just me and not sure how that would work for you. Perhaps some one else will have better info or call your shop and see if they may be of more help.


https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ni...flect/p/131655

Congrats on the new bike!!!!

Thanks! I know what the pressure should be; itís on the tire like it always was. What I donít know anything about is these newfangled Schrader valve covers that apparently change colors depending upon pressure.



muddyrock 06-02-18 06:57 PM

are they something like this Schrader valve covers?

Nightcap 06-03-18 07:21 AM


Originally Posted by muddyrock (Post 20373565)
are they something like this Schrader valve covers?

They have the Specialized splash on the side and the number 23 on top. They look like this:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e1d4736c1.jpeg





Nightcap 06-03-18 07:22 AM

But that’s the least of my issues. What I’m looking for is recommendations for a proper technical manual.

JonathanGennick 06-03-18 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by Nightcap (Post 20374102)
But that’s the least of my issues. What I’m looking for is recommendations for a proper technical manual.

There won't be one, not in the sense you are thinking of.

What ships w/the bike is a generic manual aimed mainly at limiting liability.

The various parts on the bike are from different brands, and you can often go to the brand sites to find documentation. However, the more lower end and generic the parts, the harder it can be to find technical documentation for them.

Amazon will have books on bicycle mechanics. Common types of components such as mechanical disk brakes all work much the same. Mostly. But not always.

Shop mechanics will have access to documentation from their bicycle brands, and also to industry manuals such as Barnett's: https://www.bbinstitute.com/the-barnett-manual

Your Specialized dealer would be the best person to ask about the valve cap. It's a Specialized-branded item, and one would hope the dealer would have access to some sort of documentation on it.

Delmarva 06-03-18 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by Nightcap (Post 20374102)
But thatís the least of my issues. What Iím looking for is recommendations for a proper technical manual.

Are you hoping to do home bike repairs? Or understand how the gearing and brake systems work? Or get some ideas for enhancing the bike?

Nightcap 06-03-18 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by Delmarva (Post 20374341)
Are you hoping to do home bike repairs? Or understand how the gearing and brake systems work? Or get some ideas for enhancing the bike?


Good question, and I should have been clearer. Iím a geek, I want to know how the systems work. The only maintenance Iím planning to do is cleaning, lubing, and fixing a flat, but Iíd like to understand things well enough to know what Iím talking about when I hand it over to the bike doctor at the Local Bike Shop.

Just got back from a 20+ mile shakedown cruise. God, the Roll is a comfortable bike!

JonathanGennick 06-03-18 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by Nightcap (Post 20374401)
Good question, and I should have been clearer. Iím a geek, I want to know how the systems work.

Here's a good source of information: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/

Delmarva 06-03-18 12:42 PM


Originally Posted by Nightcap (Post 20374401)



Good question, and I should have been clearer. Iím a geek, I want to know how the systems work. The only maintenance Iím planning to do is cleaning, lubing, and fixing a flat, but Iíd like to understand things well enough to know what Iím talking about when I hand it over to the bike doctor at the Local Bike Shop.

Just got back from a 20+ mile shakedown cruise. God, the Roll is a comfortable bike!

Welcome back to biking! Gearing, brakes, wheels, etc., are all fairly similar regardless of the brand bike. The Sheldon Brown website has a topic by topic explanation of bike systems. Fairly comprehensive and with good depth.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com

If you really get into the techno-history of bike gearing systems The Dancing Chain is quite a book. Not to start off with though.

BiciMan 06-03-18 03:37 PM

OMG!! I've longed for a Stainless Roll 8 ever since the few that rolled off the assembly line did years ago. I still regularly browse/search for one.

The thing about bike manuals is that they all seem to come off the same original draft. Safety stuff, model-generic, and not much else. I think my electric-bike one is the only recent one that had any meaningful material, and even that was limited for what I had to know and learn. I still have the binders/manuals that came with my KAYPRO 10 and my HP Omnibook, but I don't remember bikes ever coming with good bike/model-specific manuals. I don't think you'll find a helpful manual anywhere for that Roll because one was never printed.

Nightcap 06-03-18 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by BiciMan (Post 20374721)
OMG!! I've longed for a Stainless Roll 8 ever since the few that rolled off the assembly line did years ago. I still regularly browse/search for one.

The thing about bike manuals is that they all seem to come off the same original draft. Safety stuff, model-generic, and not much else. I think my electric-bike one is the only recent one that had any meaningful material, and even that was limited for what I had to know and learn. I still have the binders/manuals that came with my KAYPRO 10 and my HP Omnibook, but I don't remember bikes ever coming with good bike/model-specific manuals. I don't think you'll find a helpful manual anywhere for that Roll because one was never printed.

The Roll 8 is nothing like the Roll, Iím afraid. Though the Roll 8 does look like a very nice bike. This is the Roll Elite. Itís name is Rocinante.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...470c06bd5.jpeg


Youíre right about the manuals. My wifeís Pedego had more actual info (though not all that much).

Sheldon Brown of happy memory had some great, but rather general stuff. Park Tools definitely has more.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.