Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2020 Trek Hybrids - Verve 3, FX 3, Dual Sport 3

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2020 Trek Hybrids - Verve 3, FX 3, Dual Sport 3

Old 08-13-19, 05:23 PM
  #1  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2020 Trek Hybrids - Verve 3, FX 3, Dual Sport 3

Saw the 2020 Verve 3 and FX 3 at my LBS tonight. Both look real nice (Verve for more comfort and FX for more performance). Didn't see a DS, but per the Trek site, they all have similar components across this "3" series. Keep itching for a reason to replace my 2015 FX 7.2 rim brake bike still

Verve - Looks real comfortable, larger H5 45mm tires will help on packed gravel, but more upright and heavy bike
Dual Sport - Only real benefit is the front suspension that can be locked out. Probably last on my list of these three.
FX - Noticeably lighter, but stiffer. Has carbon fork though and is most similar to my current FX (this has the disc brakes, some better components, and a bit lighter). I would move my 1-month old H5 38mm ultimate tires to the FX.


Attached Files
stuman74 is offline  
Old 08-13-19, 08:47 PM
  #2  
pjthomas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 148

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd lean towards fx 3 coming from a fx 7.2. But first I'd consider upgrading the FX 7.2 drivetrain unless your dead set on disk brakes. Weight isn't that important and your could offset the steel fork weight with a hollowtech crank. Add a 9 speed rd/shifter/cassette and you might be happier with a custom fx 7.2.
pjthomas is offline  
Old 08-13-19, 08:57 PM
  #3  
FM1178 
Senior Member
 
FM1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Stache 9.7, Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Pjthomas. FX3 would probably be the better option. I think you would find the Verve lacking since you already have a 7.2.
FM1178 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 08:07 AM
  #4  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I never really thought about component upgrades on my current 2015 FX, but do mainly want to upgrade to disc brakes especially for when it's been rainy a bit or the packed gravel turns to wet dirt in a few spots.

My first instinct is that FX 3, but I just hope if I buy it I don't get buyers remorse since it should feel pretty similar to the current. My main likes about that Verve are the more comfortable ride (hopefully) and the much wider version of my current tires (the 2015 FX can't fit the 45mm wide H5 ultimates).
stuman74 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 11:22 AM
  #5  
pjthomas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 148

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74 View Post
My first instinct is that FX 3, but I just hope if I buy it I don't get buyers remorse since it should feel pretty similar to the current. My main likes about that Verve are the more comfortable ride (hopefully) and the much wider version of my current tires (the 2015 FX can't fit the 45mm wide H5 ultimates).
Unless you think your FX 7.2 is too uncomfortable you will find the Verge a downgrade.
pjthomas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:15 PM
  #6  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pjthomas View Post
Unless you think your FX 7.2 is too uncomfortable you will find the Verge a downgrade.
NO you won't I have the FX3 2020 and My Buddy Bought The Verve 3 2020 : Both awesome bikes No differences in parts : And the verve is every bit as fast , Corners better and is twice as comfortable : So much so I am debating selling My 10 day old FX3 and getting the Verve :

I am 63 and in great shape. Work out and have for 30 years or more : Pump iron etc.

I mention this because I'm not some old fart with back issues and aching joints or over weight .

The verve is every bit as nice as the FX3 :

Obviously it's JMO Based on riding both bikes 25 miles on flat concrete, black top and 1 mile of gravel.

If I keep the FX3 I plan on putting some verve options on it/. Although we did swap teh wheels and seat : The Verve just naturally sets more comfortably : The FX would only be superior on flat smooth concrete . And not that much because you feel the cracks where you don't with the verve tires

Last edited by Rick53; 08-14-19 at 01:21 PM.
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 03:33 PM
  #7  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
NO you won't I have the FX3 2020 and My Buddy Bought The Verve 3 2020 : Both awesome bikes No differences in parts : And the verve is every bit as fast , Corners better and is twice as comfortable : So much so I am debating selling My 10 day old FX3 and getting the Verve :

I am 63 and in great shape. Work out and have for 30 years or more : Pump iron etc.

I mention this because I'm not some old fart with back issues and aching joints or over weight .

The verve is every bit as nice as the FX3 :

Obviously it's JMO Based on riding both bikes 25 miles on flat concrete, black top and 1 mile of gravel.

If I keep the FX3 I plan on putting some verve options on it/. Although we did swap teh wheels and seat : The Verve just naturally sets more comfortably : The FX would only be superior on flat smooth concrete . And not that much because you feel the cracks where you don't with the verve tires
Thanks for your detailed feedback in this and the other thread as well. Very interesting and helpful (though, now I'm leaning back to Verve . I am 45 and 6'2" 225 lb so probably on the heavier side for some cyclists. The bumpy parts of the paved paths as well as the packed gravel are where I'm thinking the Verve with the 45mm tires would excel. Always about that balance of comfort and performance for sure. I also suppose if I went Verve 3, I can keep my current FX 7.2 if going on a smooth paved ride and then have the Verve for the more adventure trails. Though realistically, I'd probably love whichever new bike I get and never ride the old one again.

Also: the 45mm tires from the Verve 3 actually fit on the FX 3? I had reached out to Trek support online and they said the largest the FX 3 could take is a 38mm.
stuman74 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 03:38 PM
  #8  
drb372
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 12

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition, 2019 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post

The verve is every bit as nice as the FX3 :

Obviously it's JMO Based on riding both bikes 25 miles on flat concrete, black top and 1 mile of gravel.
Rick53, have you been able to compare the two bikes on a more hilly ride? My wife and I considered the Verve when we purchased our DS3s but I was concerned the more relaxed seat tube angle would hurt hill climbing performance. I was unable to test ride a Verve on any kind of hill but I am very happy with my DS3.
drb372 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 04:50 PM
  #9  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drb372 View Post
Rick53, have you been able to compare the two bikes on a more hilly ride? My wife and I considered the Verve when we purchased our DS3s but I was concerned the more relaxed seat tube angle would hurt hill climbing performance. I was unable to test ride a Verve on any kind of hill but I am very happy with my DS3.
I actually had a Dual Sport 2 : While I think it maybe claims hills a hair better then a verve : With this upgrade crank on the Verve 3 and FX3 2020 models both Bikes are climbers:: I climbed the same hill going out with MY FX3 and the other side of it coming back with the Verve 3 : Only thing I notice at all was this was a really steep hill . So steep that on the 1st chainring both front and back : It was all you could do on either bike to get all the way up . My buddies handlebars are above his seat and mine are below mine slightly . I wasn't able to stand up on the verve where I was on the FX . But I made it with both Bikes

I honestly thought his bigger tires would slow me down . They don't : IMO they are an advantage on every surface but smooth flat cement : LOL Something that you rarely find. Even if I keep the FX3 I am planning to install a Bigger tire. Maybe not all teh way to 45 . At least a 40 maybe a 42 .

My Friend lives right down the road 1/2 a mile exactly : Just an hour ago I road 14 MPH to his place RESTED 5 minutes: Hopped on his bike and went straight back to my house maintaining the same speed : The verve is easier to peddle .

Now that's on Black top country roads : I will try tomorrow to switch wheels again : Problem with that is I think Trek tests and designs these bikes to be the most proficient with the Tire they fit it with. Although MY FX3 seemed less bumpy with the larger tires : It almost seemed as though it was that much harder to peddle :

I need more riding to say for sure : I will say it was really hot the other day . MY Friend is 6' 266 lbs : I am almost 6 ft at 178 . We are both Fairly New to riding ; Especially over 20 miles : I can't say for sure , but had he let me use his bike teh whole way back I'd have been less tired. He definitely wanted his verve back. He said My FX-3 just seemed harder to ride . Maybe because he's big guy who knows

I say more later after I ride more
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 05:54 PM
  #10  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 51 Posts
You're enjoying the benefits of larger tires. They're real! I've converted my Giant Roam to 27.5" wheels, and am running 2" wide tires on them (they're labeled 47mm, but actually inflate to 50mm). They're basically slicks for the road (Vittoria Terreno Zero). I'm not suggesting that downsizing your wheels to upsize your tires is for everyone, but I'm loving it.


IMG_20190524_183639857 by jnjadcock, on Flickr


IMG_20190524_183704026 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
hokiefyd is offline  
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-14-19, 08:51 PM
  #11  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
On the Verve 3, can the stem be tilted forward a bit so the handle bars are at a similar height as the FX 3?
stuman74 is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 06:52 AM
  #12  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74 View Post
On the Verve 3, can the stem be tilted forward a bit so the handle bars are at a similar height as the FX 3?
Yeah they can : Keep in mind the verve has a much longer Fork Stem . Your handle bars easily sit higher then your seat : If you were climbing a steep hill the Verve might be at some disadvantage compared to the FX . Not as much though as either bike has over someone with barrel handlebars : It's easier to peddle standing up on a True Road Bike then it is a Hybrid. Same goes for riding no handed.

On a Hybrid that's not smart : On a Road bike I find it still possible : My guess is more weight over the Front Tire helps it balance better then a Hybrid. Which makes it climb better :

My Riding Friend is a Big Guy : His arms are the size of My calves. When it comes to climbing hills I do notice a slight advantage on the FX . Even though I'm sure he's stronger then I am. Keep in mind it's pretty minor .
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 06:59 AM
  #13  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74 View Post
Thanks for your detailed feedback in this and the other thread as well. Very interesting and helpful (though, now I'm leaning back to Verve . I am 45 and 6'2" 225 lb so probably on the heavier side for some cyclists. The bumpy parts of the paved paths as well as the packed gravel are where I'm thinking the Verve with the 45mm tires would excel. Always about that balance of comfort and performance for sure. I also suppose if I went Verve 3, I can keep my current FX 7.2 if going on a smooth paved ride and then have the Verve for the more adventure trails. Though realistically, I'd probably love whichever new bike I get and never ride the old one again.

Also: the 45mm tires from the Verve 3 actually fit on the FX 3? I had reached out to Trek support online and they said the largest the FX 3 could take is a 38mm.
38? Nonsense : Those chat guys go by specs they have on sheets . I've asked them questions they have no idea about > I've had 35 from an older FX , 40 from a dual Sport, and 45 From a Verve on this New FX3. Granted the 45 is close but does work. I would say it's height that's their concern with , not width. Whoever said 38 max is mistaken. I was looking at a set of 42's at the trek Store . That store had the H5 Tire 50% off in that 42 size because they don't sell any. It was the same tire as on the Verve . The mechanic was standing right there and said they'd work.

Last edited by Rick53; 08-15-19 at 07:03 AM.
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 07:58 AM
  #14  
Trav1s
Got Linux?
 
Trav1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Somewhere In Iowa
Posts: 22

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have been following the Verve and FX bikes for 6 months now. I originally was planning on the FX2 for my wife and FX3 Disc for me but that direction has since changed. After landing a beautiful gently used 2018 Cannondale Quick 1 for myself from a friend, the focus has shifted for a new ride for my wife. After sitting on the FX and the Verve, she looking at the Verve. FWIW - she's 5'2"

While talking to the LBS yesterday, I learned the 2020 model year brought some changes to the Verve line. The Verve 3 component list has moved up along with the move to the 2x9 (Shimano MT210, 46/30 and Shimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed). After living with 2x11 on the Quick1, I think there is much wisdom in the 2x setups. With the upgraded components I think the Verve 3 has much to offer over the Verve 2 or Verve 2 Disc. The great debate in our house is which one to get? End of year Verve 2 at substantial savings or 2020 Verve 3 which I think is a much nicer bike but sports a bigger price.
Trav1s is online now  
Old 08-15-19, 08:47 AM
  #15  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s View Post
I have been following the Verve and FX bikes for 6 months now. I originally was planning on the FX2 for my wife and FX3 Disc for me but that direction has since changed. After landing a beautiful gently used 2018 Cannondale Quick 1 for myself from a friend, the focus has shifted for a new ride for my wife. After sitting on the FX and the Verve, she looking at the Verve. FWIW - she's 5'2"

While talking to the LBS yesterday, I learned the 2020 model year brought some changes to the Verve line. The Verve 3 component list has moved up along with the move to the 2x9 (Shimano MT210, 46/30 and Shimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed). After living with 2x11 on the Quick1, I think there is much wisdom in the 2x setups. With the upgraded components I think the Verve 3 has much to offer over the Verve 2 or Verve 2 Disc. The great debate in our house is which one to get? End of year Verve 2 at substantial savings or 2020 Verve 3 which I think is a much nicer bike but sports a bigger price.
The New components on the 2020 Verve 3 Shifts Ultra Smooth : Your wife will never use all the gears : I haven't tried the women's verve 3 : But have the 2020 for Men . What's teh substantial savings ? Verve 3 2020 is 759.00 Verve 2 (Disc is 659.00) Shops where I live don't make deals on 2019's ever : A 2019 Women's Verve 2 is a Nice Bike : In many ways I prefer calipers over Discs. Especially when removing a wheel. You always have to fiddle with the wheel to line it up Perfect : JMO My Wife rides a lot :

If she'll get the use Buy the 2020 If not 2019

Although as I said earlier : The 2020 Verve 3 and FX 3 Shift extremely Smooth and quick : And the 2 Piece Crank is a noticeable benefit climbing hills
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 09:53 AM
  #16  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks again for the additional comments. Just makes my choice more back and forth

Bottom line, my plan would be either:

A.) Buy the 2020 FX3. Transfer my H5 Ultimate 38mm tires (bought new in early July) to it along with my current seat (that has a bit more support). Sell my 2015 FX 7.2 with old H2 tires that I still have and the original seat.

B.) Buy the 2020 Verve 3. Leave it as-is with respect to seat and tires and so on. KEEP the 2015 as a separate bike as a backup or if I know only a flat ride. Or sell anyway since I know whichever new bike I get will be the only one I ride.
stuman74 is offline  
Likes For stuman74:
Old 08-15-19, 10:33 AM
  #17  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74 View Post
Thanks again for the additional comments. Just makes my choice more back and forth

Bottom line, my plan would be either:

A.) Buy the 2020 FX3. Transfer my H5 Ultimate 38mm tires (bought new in early July) to it along with my current seat (that has a bit more support). Sell my 2015 FX 7.2 with old H2 tires that I still have and the original seat.

B.) Buy the 2020 Verve 3. Leave it as-is with respect to seat and tires and so on. KEEP the 2015 as a separate bike as a backup or if I know only a flat ride. Or sell anyway since I know whichever new bike I get will be the only one I ride.
Give me a Few days : The place where I bought the Bike has a set of H5 in size 35 . They just called me because they knew I was debating a tire change : Some guy bought them last week . Maybe used them a few times : Store says I can have them with the Inner tubes for $30.00 > They installed them and took them off. They tell me everything is as New : The Guy said he'd take Thirty Bucks and left them at the store : I also have a Ritchey Adjustable stem should be here today. So I am going too do those 2 upgrades and see before I sell and get a Verve 3 >

As far as Seats go. I actually like the FX3 Seat comfort wise and the New Verve is the same design just bigger. With that Crotch cutout in the middle they are actually pretty comfortable. And I don't have any Butt Fat for cushion At least for me the padded seats, especially thru the nose area. Just don't cut it > With the narrow tongue of these New seats on either bike . I don't see a reason to change . If you did the first option and sold your Older FX . You probably could use teh tires off a New one to help sell it.

So if you want Give Me until Saturday and I'll let you know how much of a difference this made. Also with the Verve 3 just 1/2 miles away I'm going to do some tests using both bikes and My Wahoo. To see at the same speed how far it coasts . Also how many turns of the crank it takes to get to the same speed. etc. As well as Timing How quickly I get to the same speed : Although main interest is to see what roll out actually is with a larger tire. Based on My first experience I'd say just about ZERO:

I'll even PM you to make sure you see it, if you want .

After all not like those Bikes won't be available Monday, if you wait a few days : And if they are sold only takes a day or two to get one : So if you think that might help you out just let me know
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 12:23 PM
  #18  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Beware: the H5 tires in 35mm are only about 30-31mm tall (as mounted on the rim) and have a pretty thick puncture protection layer, meaning they ride pretty firm. My 2015 Verve came with them (H5 in 700x35) and I found a lot more comfort by going with a larger tire, without thick puncture protection (Continental Speedride in 700x42). I'm not trying to discourage you, but you may find the 35mm H5 to be a pretty firm tire (without much improvement in ride quality).
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 12:25 PM
  #19  
stuman74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53 View Post
Give me a Few days : The place where I bought the Bike has a set of H5 in size 35 . They just called me because they knew I was debating a tire change : Some guy bought them last week . Maybe used them a few times : Store says I can have them with the Inner tubes for $30.00 > They installed them and took them off. They tell me everything is as New : The Guy said he'd take Thirty Bucks and left them at the store : I also have a Ritchey Adjustable stem should be here today. So I am going too do those 2 upgrades and see before I sell and get a Verve 3 >

As far as Seats go. I actually like the FX3 Seat comfort wise and the New Verve is the same design just bigger. With that Crotch cutout in the middle they are actually pretty comfortable. And I don't have any Butt Fat for cushion At least for me the padded seats, especially thru the nose area. Just don't cut it > With the narrow tongue of these New seats on either bike . I don't see a reason to change . If you did the first option and sold your Older FX . You probably could use teh tires off a New one to help sell it.

So if you want Give Me until Saturday and I'll let you know how much of a difference this made. Also with the Verve 3 just 1/2 miles away I'm going to do some tests using both bikes and My Wahoo. To see at the same speed how far it coasts . Also how many turns of the crank it takes to get to the same speed. etc. As well as Timing How quickly I get to the same speed : Although main interest is to see what roll out actually is with a larger tire. Based on My first experience I'd say just about ZERO:

I'll even PM you to make sure you see it, if you want .

After all not like those Bikes won't be available Monday, if you wait a few days : And if they are sold only takes a day or two to get one : So if you think that might help you out just let me know
Thanks for the details and willingness to do the extra testing. Still interested in your assessment and I value your feedback.

HOWEVER, I did just get back from an expensive lunch break....bought the FX 3 Came down to it being (hopefully) more similar to my current ride with some upgraded components and the brakes. The little test ride in the lot was fine, as I expected considering I was wearing work clothes, but jumped in the deep and and went for it. Hopefully I have time tonight to swap at least the tires and seat with my old FX and give it a roll before the sun goes down.
stuman74 is offline  
Likes For stuman74:
Old 08-16-19, 03:44 PM
  #20  
LeoGrand
Member
 
LeoGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 21

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL , with 700x45 tires. Very stable on the road, really love it!!!
LeoGrand is offline  
Old 08-17-19, 11:00 AM
  #21  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 78

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoGrand View Post
I have 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL , with 700x45 tires. Very stable on the road, really love it!!!
It's totally JMO but at almost 64 The verve would be more appreciated the older I get JMO though
Rick53 is offline  
Old 08-22-19, 06:49 AM
  #22  
Trav1s
Got Linux?
 
Trav1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Somewhere In Iowa
Posts: 22

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another upgrade the Verve 3 received for 2020 is the 2x9 setup and the rim break option is gone.

(Crank - Shimano MT210, 46/30, chainguard, 170mm length and Cassette - Shimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed)

over the 2019 3x9 setup

(Crank - Shimano Acera M371, 48/36/26 w/chainguard and Cassette - Shimano HG20, 11-32, 9 speed)

I find the 2x setup to offer more than enough gear choice.

FWIW - My wife just purchased a 2019 Verve 3 at the LBS. Very smooth bike that is easy to ride.
Trav1s is online now  
Old 08-23-19, 04:15 PM
  #23  
LeoGrand
Member
 
LeoGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 21

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL



2020 Trek Verve 2 XL


2020 Trek Verve 2 XL on our lake


2020 Trek Verve 2 XL - getting ready for a riding


2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 45mm tires
LeoGrand is offline  
Old 08-24-19, 05:27 PM
  #24  
Newspaper_Nick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quill stem bike in 2020. Why?
Newspaper_Nick is offline  
Old 08-24-19, 06:10 PM
  #25  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post
A quill stem bike in 2020. Why?
Quill stems are easier to adjust height, and are easier to get your bars up really high - which is what these bikes seem to be prioritizing.
DorkDisk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.