Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

1998 Schwinn Searcher GS might be upgrading just for fun...

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

1998 Schwinn Searcher GS might be upgrading just for fun...

Old 12-08-19, 01:37 PM
  #1  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
1998 Schwinn Searcher GS might be upgrading just for fun...

Not like I need another bike. But my daughter brought it back home last summer, it was my wife's. Daughter picked up a nice 1998 Scwinn Passage specced out a lot like my 1998 Cannondale R200. Full Shimano RSX. So this hybrid has been sitting and got me thinking... Which isn't always a good thing...




I have a N+1 problem anyway. 1986 KHS Fiero roadbike, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 roadbike, 2010 Performance Access XCL 9R 29er, 1991 Trek 7000, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Fisher HooKooEKoo... 1992 Trek 1400 roadbike loaned to my son in law.

So. What to do with the Schwinn Searcher? I'm thinking about the parts I have laying about. And I thought, why not swap out the 3x7 gripshift and straight bars for a 3x9 Sora set on drop bars with cyclocross brake levers as well? I need a quill to 11/8" adapter and stem, not sure the length needed yet. I have 12-32 and 12-36 9 speed cassettes. My 29er has Sora 3x7 on Salsa Woodchippers, but rolls with a suspension fork and 700x54 tires. I'd been considering a second set of wheels to roll 700x40s for the 29er. So why not run that size on the hybrid instead of 32s?


For giggles. 700x54s don't fit this hybrid. I doubt they fit the rear.

I have ridden this bike maybe 50 miles outdoors. This bike was my recovery bike on a trainer after knee replacement 9 years ago. My wife is unable to ride anymore, so it currently serves no real purpose...

Just some brainstbrainstorming right now.

Last edited by zjrog; 12-08-19 at 04:19 PM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 07:19 AM
  #2  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,679

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 128 Posts
Nice bike -- and a really interesting stem! It looks like the stem pivots at the base, and the angle is adjusted with that set bolt. I don't think I've seen one like that before.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 07:46 AM
  #3  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
Nice bike -- and a really interesting stem! It looks like the stem pivots at the base, and the angle is adjusted with that set bolt. I don't think I've seen one like that before.
To me, it looks more like a cheaper version of a Girvin flex stem, so it would be a suspension stem, and not an adjustable stem. If so, the bolt would be to preload the elastomer.

Girvin Flexstems had poor reviews BITD, I have one somewhere with a rock hard elastomer.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 12-09-19 at 09:17 AM.
DorkDisk is offline  
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-09-19, 02:05 PM
  #4  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
To me, it looks more like a cheaper version of a Girvin flex stem, so it would be a suspension stem, and not an adjustable stem. If so, the bolt would be to preload the elastomer.

Girvin Flexstems had poor reviews BITD, I have one somewhere with a rock hard elastomer.
It is a Girvin Flexstem. I never liked it, my wife loved it, came on the bike new in 98. Surprisingly, the elastomer still has some give in it. Regardless, it is history, I don't intend to use it.

This is a shorter frame than I prefer, but I am thinking my Grand daughter might be ready for it in a year or so. Can't believe she is almost 5 foot tall at 9 years old... Anything I do to make it fun for me, ought to be good for her. She expressed an interest in skinny tire bikes like my roadbikes, but she has to learn on other bikes first. Swapping this to drop bars will be a good thing for her later on. Hmmm. Sounds like I found a purpose for this bike! She is getting 24" mtb for XMas, she will learn shifting and such at least, and I'll keep an eye on how it is treated.
zjrog is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 02:08 PM
  #5  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
Nice bike -- and a really interesting stem! It looks like the stem pivots at the base, and the angle is adjusted with that set bolt. I don't think I've seen one like that before.
Thanks. Bike shop bike, not box store. But the front derraileur is mounted with a bracket off the bottom bracket. Odd. Well. To me. Looks like a stop at my local bike Collective for somewhat better mechs is in order.

Girvin Flexstep. I never liked it, wife loved it. As mentioned above.
zjrog is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 05:28 PM
  #6  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 55 Posts
By 98 there were few true 7 speed only hubs, with most running a spacer. However, it is worthwhile to check if your hub can handle 8+ speeds since S gimped their low end hard in those days.

If you see a spacer in the cassette stack towards the spokes first, you're likely good to go. If you see brown steel of the freehub body, you will likely have to look into a freehub replacement to get a proper 9 speed cassette on there.

E type front derailleurs were developed for rear suspension frames where it was a pain to add a seat tube nub.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 12-09-19 at 05:33 PM.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 10:43 PM
  #7  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
By 98 there were few true 7 speed only hubs, with most running a spacer. However, it is worthwhile to check if your hub can handle 8+ speeds since S gimped their low end hard in those days.

If you see a spacer in the cassette stack towards the spokes first, you're likely good to go. If you see brown steel of the freehub body, you will likely have to look into a freehub replacement to get a proper 9 speed cassette on there.

E type front derailleurs were developed for rear suspension frames where it was a pain to add a seat tube nub.
E type, Never heard of that, but makes sense. That might need to be changed. As I suggested, some newer derraileurs just might be in order. But I will see if the existing units will cover 9 speeds. Also the crankset might not be able to cover the narrower chain. I found Shimano 105 1055 RD covered 9 speed cassettes in friction mode, on a 92 trek 1400 I picked up last spring, and let my son in law use. I used a wheelset that needed a spacer for the 7 speed cassette.

The hubs are Shimano RM40s. I have the exact same hubs on my 98 Cannondale R200, with 7 speed. No spacers. Same with my daughter's 98 Schwinn Passage. I fully serviced her hubs when she got the bike. Also, no spacers. They were dirty, but otherwise in great shape. On my R200, I have a set of Shimano 561 wheels. Not suitable for my weight on the road, but on the trainer, the are just fine. I did also use a spacer for the 7 speed cassette. I considered swapping in the Sora 3400 brfters on that bike, but the gummed up RSX brifters cleaned up just fine... (reminds me, I should do that same cleaning for the RSX brifters on my daughter's bike this winter...)

I have a set of wheels I can use for the hybrid with proper 8, 9, 10 speed spacing.
zjrog is offline  
Old 12-10-19, 08:31 AM
  #8  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
E type, Never heard of that, but makes sense. That might need to be changed. As I suggested, some newer derraileurs just might be in order. But I will see if the existing units will cover 9 speeds. Also the crankset might not be able to cover the narrower chain. I found Shimano 105 1055 RD covered 9 speed cassettes in friction mode, on a 92 trek 1400 I picked up last spring, and let my son in law use. I used a wheelset that needed a spacer for the 7 speed cassette.
The cranks will work with a 9-speed chain, and the derailleurs will work with 9sp indexing. However, the front derailleur uses a different cable pull than road brifters; you may need a road triple front derailleur to use those cranks, with a compact cage if possible.

As for parts, I wouldn't worry about age, but rather condition and quality; older nice parts are still nicer than new low-end parts.
DorkDisk is offline  
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-10-19, 09:01 AM
  #9  
zjrog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
The cranks will work with a 9-speed chain, and the derailleurs will work with 9sp indexing. However, the front derailleur uses a different cable pull than road brifters; you may need a road triple front derailleur to use those cranks, with a compact cage if possible.

As for parts, I wouldn't worry about age, but rather condition and quality; older nice parts are still nicer than new low-end parts.
From my 2x6 and 3x6 days, I have an older Exage 400 RD. I doubt that it would cover 9 speed indexed, but who knows. I have a Tiagra FD that is braze on ready, so I just need to find a proper clamp But likely, I may try it as is with 9 speed first. At the bicycle collective, I always buy the better components I can find. (Wife says I spend too much money and time there!)

I had tried 10speed chain on my old 2x6 crankset from my 86 KHS, and it was sticking between rings. But that crankset also had a wobble to it, not sure f it was the crankset itself or a worn out BB So if the 7 speed crankset will handle 9 speed, great..
zjrog is offline  
Old 12-10-19, 01:52 PM
  #10  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,679

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
From my 2x6 and 3x6 days, I have an older Exage 400 RD. I doubt that it would cover 9 speed indexed, but who knows.
I bet it would. If it says it's SIS compatible, it's certainly worth a try. It looks like it is from internet pictures -- it appears to be similar to an older Deore or STX derailleur. I bet it has very similar geometry, and should swing across a 9-speed cassette. A 9-speed cassette is 36.5mm thick, and a 7-speed's about 32mm thick. There's a good chance your derailleur can cover the extra distance.
hokiefyd is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.