Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve 3--did I pick the right bike?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Verve 3--did I pick the right bike?

Old 04-29-20, 09:02 AM
  #1  
rsteilberg
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Trek Verve 3--did I pick the right bike?

I recently moved into an area in the DC metropolitan area that is bike-commutable to work--about a 30 min ride. I also don't have a car and really needed something that could haul groceries to and from the grocery store 1.5 miles away. Would love to avoid getting a car and using Metro and bike all summer long to work (when we finally get let out of quarantine). It would also be neat if maybe one day I could take my bike out to some packed trails outside of the city area.

I run a lot but running limits how much of the area I can explore so being able to do fitness rides is also important to me.

I have never owned a "real" bike--rode my childhood Trek through college and haven't even had one for the past two years. After talking to two different shops I settled on the Trek Verve 3 Disc. The salesperson was nice but was pushing a Sirrus X 3.0 on me. I also test rode a Trek FX 3 Disc.

I ended up settling on the Verve 3 because it was cheaper, seemed more comfortable, and admittedly because I just loved the navy blue finish. Call me dumb but I have always been into aesthetics. I also picked the Verve because I knew Trek was a great brand and because the Verve was the bike I had researched.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Verve is great for the grocery need--I've got two panniers on a rack on the back and it can haul a week's worth of groceries no problem. But when I ride for fitness (I've done 3 ~10 mile rides so far) it feels sluggish and heavy--like I have to really pedal my guts out to get the speed I want, especially on the slightest of grades. Browsing some forums lead me to believe that I maybe should have gone with the FX or Sirrus X instead.

I'm already planning on replacing the Bontrager Boulevard saddle with a Brooks B17 or B17 Special that's coming in the mail. Not sure how much that will help. Many people also tell me the suspension seat post is a gimmick and I should consider replacing it.

If I replaced the wheels (Bontrager H5 700x45mm) with something a bit slimmer and lighter would that help? Or should I just save up for a couple months and try to trade the Verve in for a Sirrux X 3.0 or 4.0?

Feeling pretty bummed about screwing up my first bike purchase.
​​​​
rsteilberg is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 09:58 AM
  #2  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,113

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteilberg View Post
I recently moved into an area in the DC metropolitan area that is bike-commutable to work--about a 30 min ride. I also don't have a car and really needed something that could haul groceries to and from the grocery store 1.5 miles away. Would love to avoid getting a car and using Metro and bike all summer long to work (when we finally get let out of quarantine). It would also be neat if maybe one day I could take my bike out to some packed trails outside of the city area.

I run a lot but running limits how much of the area I can explore so being able to do fitness rides is also important to me.

I have never owned a "real" bike--rode my childhood Trek through college and haven't even had one for the past two years. After talking to two different shops I settled on the Trek Verve 3 Disc. The salesperson was nice but was pushing a Sirrus X 3.0 on me. I also test rode a Trek FX 3 Disc.

I ended up settling on the Verve 3 because it was cheaper, seemed more comfortable, and admittedly because I just loved the navy blue finish. Call me dumb but I have always been into aesthetics. I also picked the Verve because I knew Trek was a great brand and because the Verve was the bike I had researched.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Verve is great for the grocery need--I've got two panniers on a rack on the back and it can haul a week's worth of groceries no problem. But when I ride for fitness (I've done 3 ~10 mile rides so far) it feels sluggish and heavy--like I have to really pedal my guts out to get the speed I want, especially on the slightest of grades. Browsing some forums lead me to believe that I maybe should have gone with the FX or Sirrus X instead.

I'm already planning on replacing the Bontrager Boulevard saddle with a Brooks B17 or B17 Special that's coming in the mail. Not sure how much that will help. Many people also tell me the suspension seat post is a gimmick and I should consider replacing it.

If I replaced the wheels (Bontrager H5 700x45mm) with something a bit slimmer and lighter would that help? Or should I just save up for a couple months and try to trade the Verve in for a Sirrux X 3.0 or 4.0?

Feeling pretty bummed about screwing up my first bike purchase.
​​​​
I think you are answering your own question. Namely that you get what you pay for.

The Verve is a nice comfort oriented bike, but it is not built for performance. Changing out the saddle won't help with performance, but if the stock saddle is uncomfortable, it might be more comfortable. And yes, get rid of the suspension seatpost. As for the tires, yes, something lighter and more supple might help a bit with performance, but it won't turn your Verve into something it isn't/
MRT2 is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 10:51 AM
  #3  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 189 Posts
It's hard to "get it all" with one bike. There are some things that will help make a Verve better suited to your needs, and there are some basic things that can't be changed. Lowering the stem as far as you can lower it can help get you "over" the pedals more -- it'll rotate your body forward and put you into a more efficient riding position. Also -- raising the seat up to "proper" level helps. It seems common to have the seat lower than it really should be for a rider's legs, so make sure you're not short-changing yourself there, literally. The suspension seat post doesn't help fit here...its height can vary during riding (and even sitting), which makes it harder to get a consistent fit.

If you're after speed and efficiency, the tires would be a great place to start. The H5s are very heavy and pretty thick, so they'll feel dull and they'll feel sluggish. Those tires are 880 grams each -- nearly two pounds! Finding something not necessarily narrower but also more supple will really transform the way the bike feels. I've owned a Verve with the H5 tires before (an earlier model). Trust me -- you do want better tires. I replaced mine with Continental Speed Ride in 700x42. Excellent tires, very light (420 grams), and pretty fast (and inexpensive!). And they're folding tires to boot -- a great value.

Don't beat yourself up. The Verve 3 is not a cheap bike -- it's within 40 bucks of the FX 3 Disc, and it shares the FX 3's same drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. It has an alloy fork vs. the FX's carbon fork, and the Verve weighs 30 pounds to the FX's 26 pounds. Depending on what you weigh, that 4 pound difference probably represents a small percentage of your rolling weight, but it can feel like more, especially if you're the kind of rider who really likes to throw the bike around and generally be more active with it. The 32mm H2 tires the FX 3 comes with are about half the weight of the 45mm H5s on the Verve. So if you swap the tires to something lighter, you've gotten halfway down to the FX 3's weight.

I think you'll feel a pretty big difference by making sure the fit is right and adjusting where you can and upgrading the seat post and tires to something lighter (I don't know how much the telescoping seat post weighs, but a rigid one will certainly be lighter).
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 11:49 AM
  #4  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,679

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over going for the Verve. I read somewhere on this site where a rider actually thought they were a little faster on a Verve, compared to a fitness bike. Could be a change of tires is all that's needed, and getting used to what gear(s) to be in for those grades. It's not going to be the fastest bike out there, but isn't a slouch either. I have a feeling that with a tire change, getting used to the gearing, and riding it more, that you'll start liking it better each ride. And you may make some fit adjustments as you ride more, allowing you to ride faster also.
freeranger is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 09:20 AM
  #5  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 1,883

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 217 Posts
The Verve comes with 700x45 tires. Install some 700x32 sized tires and see how you like that. You should really see a difference.

When I returned to cycling about 8 years ago, I did in on a very heavy comfort bike. I rode that bike for almost a year. But even with thinner and higher performance tires, any ride over 20 miles was a chore. The additional weight does not help if you're trying to ride in a hilly region.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:36 PM
  #6  
DarkSkyHUnter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride the Trek Verve 2 (2020). Currently 2,200 miles ridden. It is a heavier sluggish bike compared to the FX series.

I've made a few mods to my Bike:
Shimano Speed Clips
35c tires
Bontrager Ergo Grips (These are a must have on any Flat bar bike)
Bontrager Bar Ends

One thing I've noticed with the Verve, the lazy geometry really requires you to dial in your seat height. Mine is set a little higher than you'd set on a roadie.

For 10 to 20 mile rides my pace is above 16 mph. I hit the wall you're describing many months ago before I started making changes to counteract the heaviness and sluggishness.

When purchasing a bike last year and I was torn between the Verve and FX. I went with the Verve because of the adjustable steam. I have a short clubbed hand, so I was sure if I could handle the more aggressive reach on the FX.

After 2 months of owning the bike I was confident and able to ride in the most forward aggressive position. I'm currently looking at the new Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 as my next bike.

I hope I've listed some helpful suggestions. Happy Riding!
DarkSkyHUnter is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 07:16 PM
  #7  
JeffJbike
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like you made a good choice!
JeffJbike is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 01:53 PM
  #8  
Rick53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 142

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteilberg View Post
I recently moved into an area in the DC metropolitan area that is bike-commutable to work--about a 30 min ride. I also don't have a car and really needed something that could haul groceries to and from the grocery store 1.5 miles away. Would love to avoid getting a car and using Metro and bike all summer long to work (when we finally get let out of quarantine). It would also be neat if maybe one day I could take my bike out to some packed trails outside of the city area.

I run a lot but running limits how much of the area I can explore so being able to do fitness rides is also important to me.

I have never owned a "real" bike--rode my childhood Trek through college and haven't even had one for the past two years. After talking to two different shops I settled on the Trek Verve 3 Disc. The salesperson was nice but was pushing a Sirrus X 3.0 on me. I also test rode a Trek FX 3 Disc.

I ended up settling on the Verve 3 because it was cheaper, seemed more comfortable, and admittedly because I just loved the navy blue finish. Call me dumb but I have always been into aesthetics. I also picked the Verve because I knew Trek was a great brand and because the Verve was the bike I had researched.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Verve is great for the grocery need--I've got two panniers on a rack on the back and it can haul a week's worth of groceries no problem. But when I ride for fitness (I've done 3 ~10 mile rides so far) it feels sluggish and heavy--like I have to really pedal my guts out to get the speed I want, especially on the slightest of grades. Browsing some forums lead me to believe that I maybe should have gone with the FX or Sirrus X instead.

I'm already planning on replacing the Bontrager Boulevard saddle with a Brooks B17 or B17 Special that's coming in the mail. Not sure how much that will help. Many people also tell me the suspension seat post is a gimmick and I should consider replacing it.

If I replaced the wheels (Bontrager H5 700x45mm) with something a bit slimmer and lighter would that help? Or should I just save up for a couple months and try to trade the Verve in for a Sirrux X 3.0 or 4.0?

Feeling pretty bummed about screwing up my first bike purchase.
​​​​
Dude I own The FX 3 The Verve 3 and the Dual Sport 3 All 2020 Models All Bought New From Guys like you : I am 64 In really good shape 6'0 tall 178 Lbs : Of the 3 Bikes The FX 3 at least for me is the least comfortable : The geometry to to short for me. Even though The fit is fine. Not sure Why the saddle is uncomfortable. : I bought a Redshift Shockstop Seatpost and Love it : I ended up getting rid of the FX 3 : I ride with 2 guys . Both are mid 50's Both have FX Models : They are 3's but from 2016 and 2018 >
Maybe you should mess around with Seat ht and fool around with the Steering tube Ht and the Stem angle> Might make all the difference in the world .

I have no idea how you are built : For me anyway teh FX always felt crappy. I look at My 2 Buddies riding Who have similar Body types : They both have been riding at least 10 years : I am just starting my 2nd season. I can keep right up with them : If we go down a Gravel road or off teh Bike paths . I leave them in The dust : Before you swap bikes and lose Money : DO some messing around : And look into these https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop...nsion-seatpost
Rick53 is offline  
Old 05-08-20, 06:44 PM
  #9  
sdowen
City Explorer
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Itís always going to depend on where you ride. I just bought and FX 3 and love it. Iím not doing any dirt trial riding with it.

The FX 3 will be lighter and faster. The Verve is more versatile for mountain bike hybrid cross, the FX 3 is a pure pavement fitness commuter.

The Verve can be used on the streets and ride dirt trails (light trail riding: not a replacement for a mountain bike) in a river valley. The rims on an FX 3 wonít fare well if youíre running over tree trunks all the time.

Saddles are cheaply and easily replaced. The comfort level of the stock saddle is pretty irrelevant. You replace it if your not happy.

What kind of riding are you doing? If youíre strictly riding pact gravel and pavement, the FX 3 would be a better choice. If youíre riding trails and doing some off road riding, the Verve is a much better choice.

Trek generally puts cheaper tires on their bike. Youíll always find yourself upgrading the tires at some point.

The H2 tires on the FX 3 are passable. The bike would perform better with a tire upgrade. Bontrager tires are very mediocre. Switching them to Schwalbe or Continental can improve the ride.

Fitness bikes have a break-in period. My first 3-4 rides on my new FX-3 were not comfortable. The FX3 is Getting more enjoyable to ride by the 7 ride. I had to get used to riding it; I had to break it in.

Last edited by sdowen; 05-08-20 at 08:37 PM.
sdowen is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 05:36 PM
  #10  
Jtsweeep
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 27

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Pathlite 7.0 AL SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OP, what did you decide to do? I just bought a 2020 FX 3 am slightly regretting it also. I have the opposite feeling as you and think I should have gotten a DS 3/4 or Verve.

Originally Posted by sdowen View Post
Itís always going to depend on where you ride. I just bought and FX 3 and love it. Iím not doing any dirt trial riding with it.

The FX 3 will be lighter and faster. The Verve is more versatile for mountain bike hybrid cross, the FX 3 is a pure pavement fitness commuter.

The Verve can be used on the streets and ride dirt trails (light trail riding: not a replacement for a mountain bike) in a river valley. The rims on an FX 3 wonít fare well if youíre running over tree trunks all the time.

Saddles are cheaply and easily replaced. The comfort level of the stock saddle is pretty irrelevant. You replace it if your not happy.

What kind of riding are you doing? If youíre strictly riding pact gravel and pavement, the FX 3 would be a better choice. If youíre riding trails and doing some off road riding, the Verve is a much better choice.

Trek generally puts cheaper tires on their bike. Youíll always find yourself upgrading the tires at some point.

The H2 tires on the FX 3 are passable. The bike would perform better with a tire upgrade. Bontrager tires are very mediocre. Switching them to Schwalbe or Continental can improve the ride.

Fitness bikes have a break-in period. My first 3-4 rides on my new FX-3 were not comfortable. The FX3 is Getting more enjoyable to ride by the 7 ride. I had to get used to riding it; I had to break it in.
I've only ridden mine once but it's good to know there's a break in period because it feels so uncomfortable. I switched off with a friend who has a Cube MTB style bike and it was much more comfortable to ride even though it was smaller. It didn't seem like it took much more effort to ride either. I'm really leaning towards putting wider tires on the FX 3 as well to soften the ride a bit. They're so firm it feels like I'm riding on the rim.
Jtsweeep is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 06:37 PM
  #11  
CyclingBK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
It sounds like youíre just getting started riding and havenít developed yet. Iím in the same boat, I just started last August and am just starting to consistently do 20 mile rides and get stronger/faster.

I have a hybrid and, while Iím sure a road bike would be a little faster, Iím sure youíll get much faster as you ride more and harder.

And I agree on the saddle height, position, itís a big factor.

Hereís my bike, co-op, cty 1.1, I love it. Maybe because itís mine ; )



Last edited by CyclingBK; 05-28-20 at 06:43 PM.
CyclingBK is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 08:06 PM
  #12  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 45 Posts
That looks like a comfortable bike.

Saw a young couple yesterday and the guy was riding a brand new City 3.1 (I am interested in the ADV)

I am still waiting for a better clearance than what REI just ran.

I will continue on the old super V.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 08:58 PM
  #13  
CyclingBK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker View Post
That looks like a comfortable bike.

Saw a young couple yesterday and the guy was riding a brand new City 3.1 (I am interested in the ADV)

I am still waiting for a better clearance than what REI just ran.

I will continue on the old super V.

When I was looking to get my first bike in years, this guy I know sent me a good article with some bike recommendations at different price points and it said the 1.1 had a lot of great features and value for the money.

I really like it and the REI store in NYC was great in setting it up. Once I got the saddle position just right, I can just hammer away ; ) I pretty much just ride on the road but have taken it on some smooth dirt trails. Itís solid.
CyclingBK is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 09:05 PM
  #14  
h20man
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Verve 3 last weekend. I think it's a fantastic bike. Comfortable, quick and everything else I would want in a hybrid. Handles packed trails and light gravel but really shines on paved surfaces.
h20man is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 11:33 PM
  #15  
Trekkie88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the market for a new bike, either FX 3 or Verve 3. Your posts comparing the 2 has me leaning towards the Verve 3. I have a 1998 Trek 7500, which I think is a current day Verve, although I'm not for sure. It still rides well, but I'm passing it on to my teenager. I can't test ride either bike since here are no FX 3 or Verve 3's for purchase in my area. I was told this is a nationwide stock issue due to COVID-19. No new bikes will arrive until, possibly, November or December, if a put a deposit down now. I'm a little hesitant to do this, because although I think I'll want a Verve, it would be nice to be able to test ride the two to see what the difference is. Those arriving this winter will be 2021 models. After spending a great deal of time checking out the bikes online, I noticed that the 2021 diamond Verve frame looks different from the 2020. It appears to be slightly heavier, too.
Trekkie88 is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 08:11 AM
  #16  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 189 Posts
Yes, the 2021 Verve has been redesigned -- it looks like the head tube is taller, with more of a slope to the top tube. The 7500 is probably more like an FX than a Verve -- although even these two aren't that different. I think there's enough overlap that stems and handlebars and other adjustments can sometimes "cross paths" with these two bikes. Perhaps this is why Trek lengthed the head tube area on the 2021 Verve -- to differentiate it more from the similar FX.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 08:28 AM
  #17  
Korax
Senior Member
 
Korax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 96

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
Yes, the 2021 Verve has been redesigned -- it looks like the head tube is taller, with more of a slope to the top tube. The 7500 is probably more like an FX than a Verve -- although even these two aren't that different. I think there's enough overlap that stems and handlebars and other adjustments can sometimes "cross paths" with these two bikes. Perhaps this is why Trek lengthed the head tube area on the 2021 Verve -- to differentiate it more from the similar FX.
Also, 2021 Verve has a really nice low step model. They're in stock in a few locations including my LBS.
Korax is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 12:13 PM
  #18  
uriwvu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 20

Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh Sports 3 Speed, 1977 Kabuki 10 Speed, 1997 GT Ricochet 2019 Marin San Rafael DS2, 2020 Trek Verve 3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
Yes, the 2021 Verve has been redesigned -- it looks like the head tube is taller, with more of a slope to the top tube. The 7500 is probably more like an FX than a Verve -- although even these two aren't that different. I think there's enough overlap that stems and handlebars and other adjustments can sometimes "cross paths" with these two bikes. Perhaps this is why Trek lengthed the head tube area on the 2021 Verve -- to differentiate it more from the similar FX.
I picked up the 2021 Verve 3 last Sunday (after selling my 2020 Verve 3), and I do notice the taller head tube. After a week, it seems even easier to ride (if that's possible) than the '20 model. Internal cabling has been added as well. One note: the website is incorrect regarding the '21's rear derailleur. The rear derailleur on the 2021 Verve 3 is NOT an Alivio M3100, but an Acera M3000 (unchanged from 2020 model). Trek dealer confirmed that by showing me his specs readout for the 2021 Verve 3. Finally, '21 models are coming to stores well ahead of their projected fall arrival dates. The one I purchased on June 28th, wasn't expected in store till November 7th. Call your local Trek dealer weekly for updates on new inventory.

Last edited by uriwvu; 07-06-20 at 12:34 PM.
uriwvu is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 12:59 PM
  #19  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by uriwvu View Post
One note: the website is incorrect regarding the '21's rear derailleur. The rear derailleur on the 2021 Verve 3 is NOT an Alivio M3100, but an Acera M3000 (unchanged from 2020 model).
I initially thought that must have been a typographical error...the 3xxx series is Acera and the 4xxx series is Alivio. But sure enough...The RD-M3100 is "new" on Shimano's website. I'm not sure what this derailleur provides that the existing M3000 and M4000 do not...except perhaps a blacked-out appearance. All three of these (M3000, M3100, and M4000) support a 45T chain wrap, a 36T large sprocket, are of the Shadow design, and have a barrel adjuster at the derailleur (vs. M6000 and above, which lack the derailleur barrel adjusters).
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 01:08 PM
  #20  
Trekkie88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got off the phone with a local Trek store. I put a deposit on a 2021 Verve 3, size M. The SA told me that one might come in 7/13, although several of their ship dates have been dropped. We'll see. I'm having second thoughts, though, because I don't know if Verve 3 or FX 3 is the right bike for me. I asked a couple of SAs from different Trek dealers if my 1998 7500 Multitrack is a current day Verve or FX, but the guesses are 50/50. One SA suggested I look at the tires, and my 7500's tires are 700x38, so they're right between a FX and a Verve. I'm thinking if my 7500 is a current day FX, then I should probably switch my deposit over to a FX 3, since I'm already used to the ride and I like it. I'm also not sure if I'm a size S or M. I'm 5'5" and the SAs told me a S or M would work. I chose a M because I can ride my hubby's 17.5" Giant mountain bike with no problem. There's no size indication on my 7500. I hope the sizing is the same for mountain bikes and hybrids.

Last edited by Trekkie88; 07-06-20 at 01:22 PM.
Trekkie88 is offline  
Old 07-06-20, 07:11 PM
  #21  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,415

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Hiawatha 3sp | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I initially thought that must have been a typographical error...the 3xxx series is Acera and the 4xxx series is Alivio. But sure enough...The RD-M3100 is "new" on Shimano's website. .
The new Deore is now 6100 for 12sp, 5100 for 11sp, and 4100 for 10sp which is a big change. That leaves Alivio (9sp) at 3100; Acera seems to become a mix and match to add 7 and 8 sp options to the low end.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 06:01 AM
  #22  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekkie88 View Post
I asked a couple of SAs from different Trek dealers if my 1998 7500 Multitrack is a current day Verve or FX, but the guesses are 50/50.
If this is what your 1998 7500 looks like, then I think it's more in line with an FX than a Verve -- especially a 2021 Verve. The top tube on your 7500 is pretty flat (and it's relatively long), and the stack (vertical distance from crank center to top of the headset) is relatively low. I think you'll find the 2020/2021 FX to be closer to your 7500 than a 2021 Verve will be. The 2020 Verve is probably not that far off, but the 2021 has moved further into the "comfort bike" realm.

https://bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike...rek&Model=7500
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 06:05 AM
  #23  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2018 Redline Zander, 1997 Trek 750, 1970 Peugeot UO-18

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
The new Deore is now 6100 for 12sp, 5100 for 11sp, and 4100 for 10sp which is a big change. That leaves Alivio (9sp) at 3100; Acera seems to become a mix and match to add 7 and 8 sp options to the low end.
Thanks for the heads-up on this.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...ore-m4100.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...vio-m3100.html
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 06:43 PM
  #24  
Trekkie88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
If this is what your 1998 7500 looks like, then I think it's more in line with an FX than a Verve -- especially a 2021 Verve. The top tube on your 7500 is pretty flat (and it's relatively long), and the stack (vertical distance from crank center to top of the headset) is relatively low. I think you'll find the 2020/2021 FX to be closer to your 7500 than a 2021 Verve will be. The 2020 Verve is probably not that far off, but the 2021 has moved further into the "comfort bike" realm
Yes, that's my bike. I think I need to test ride both the FX and the Verve. But perhaps, when my Verve arrives, I'll like it so much I'll just keep it. Thanks.
Trekkie88 is offline  
Old 07-07-20, 06:49 PM
  #25  
Trekkie88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korax View Post
Also, 2021 Verve has a really nice low step model. They're in stock in a few locations including my LBS.
Yes, the low steps are nice. I like some of the colors more than the diamond frames, but I do prefer the diamond frames more, though.
Trekkie88 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.