Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

Old 05-23-20, 03:44 PM
  #1  
bigevil
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek FX 6 or Checkpoint?

first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint because he could tell that I'm the kind of person who will naturally start hitting more and more side roads, uneven surfaces the more comfortable I get but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it. What I can't tell is if I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or stay with my FX 6 for a while until I can tell it's time for more.

I'm riding in Los Angeles, in mostly a busy part of the San Fernando valley (lots of car traffic).

Main goals for this particular bike are fitness, intervals, and general cruising around in the metropolitan area. I could see my girlfriend and I taking it on a weekend up the coast to find better bike path's but our daily riding will be I imagine an hour or so on mixed roads and bike paths. (likely 10-15miles but more as I get more stamina).

I do like to hit the side gravel and paved path's as they come, adventuring a bit onto fire roads or worn in walkin path's but I'm not going to be hitting mountains etc yet. (that said I do catch myself wanting to push harder!)

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars. I know it's a bit of Apples/Oranges. I have a feeling I'll ultimately end up with two different bikes, one for road, one for gravel/mountain but figure any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm tied to Trek for this first bike because even though I can switch for another model, I can't really see returning it at the moment (and to be honest I love them and their customer support).

Thanks!
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 04:01 PM
  #2  
DarkSkyHUnter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint because he could tell that I'm the kind of person who will naturally start hitting more and more side roads, uneven surfaces the more comfortable I get but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it. What I can't tell is if I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or stay with my FX 6 for a while until I can tell it's time for more.

I'm riding in Los Angeles, in mostly a busy part of the San Fernando valley (lots of car traffic).

Main goals for this particular bike are fitness, intervals, and general cruising around in the metropolitan area. I could see my girlfriend and I taking it on a weekend up the coast to find better bike path's but our daily riding will be I imagine an hour or so on mixed roads and bike paths. (likely 10-15miles but more as I get more stamina).

I do like to hit the side gravel and paved path's as they come, adventuring a bit onto fire roads or worn in walkin path's but I'm not going to be hitting mountains etc yet. (that said I do catch myself wanting to push harder!)

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars. I know it's a bit of Apples/Oranges. I have a feeling I'll ultimately end up with two different bikes, one for road, one for gravel/mountain but figure any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm tied to Trek for this first bike because even though I can switch for another model, I can't really see returning it at the moment (and to be honest I love them and their customer support).

Thanks!
My reply will be slightly off-topic, but I'm in a similar situation. Drop bars are not an option for my do to a club arm. The extra required reach is a no go for me.

I currently ride the Verve 2 with several mods: clips, bar ends, ergo grips 35mm tires. I've been keeping an eye on the FX Sport 4 Carbon as my next bike.

What average speeds are you normally reaching? I'm typically running 16 to 17 mph. My primary concern with the FX Sport 4 Carbon is the 40T Crank potentially causing me to spin out. Normally I get myself in a forward/low position over the bars when I reach speeds over 25 mph on downhills.

The FX 5 and 6 are other bikes I'm also currently looking at, especially if the 2021 models adopt a similar 1X gravel setup. A 1x12 system with a 10-50 in the rear would be a nice compromise.

There's nothing wrong with a flat bar setup. I do highly recommend bar ends for leverage while climbing. I use the Bontrager Lite bar ends.
DarkSkyHUnter is offline  
Likes For DarkSkyHUnter:
Old 05-23-20, 04:18 PM
  #3  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it.

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars.

Thanks!
Bike is fine, keep it.
DorkDisk is offline  
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-23-20, 04:29 PM
  #4  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,096

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it. It's a fun bike, rides comfortably and I love how light it is.

The lovely gent at the Trek store felt I should really consider a Checkpoint because he could tell that I'm the kind of person who will naturally start hitting more and more side roads, uneven surfaces the more comfortable I get but the truth is I just couldn't get comfortable on both the drop bars and the general ride of it. What I can't tell is if I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or stay with my FX 6 for a while until I can tell it's time for more.

I'm riding in Los Angeles, in mostly a busy part of the San Fernando valley (lots of car traffic).

Main goals for this particular bike are fitness, intervals, and general cruising around in the metropolitan area. I could see my girlfriend and I taking it on a weekend up the coast to find better bike path's but our daily riding will be I imagine an hour or so on mixed roads and bike paths. (likely 10-15miles but more as I get more stamina).

I do like to hit the side gravel and paved path's as they come, adventuring a bit onto fire roads or worn in walkin path's but I'm not going to be hitting mountains etc yet. (that said I do catch myself wanting to push harder!)

There's something about flatbar that feels way more safe/comfortable for me with all of the traffic around, I prefer the way I can look around, constantly keep my eye on traffic and the truth is I don't see myself going on rides longer than an hour or two right now (we wear casual clothes, and I'm not trying to race or anything).

My question to you wonderful folk is is my FX 6 good for my purposes or should I just switch for the Checkpoint and learn how to handle the flat bars. I know it's a bit of Apples/Oranges. I have a feeling I'll ultimately end up with two different bikes, one for road, one for gravel/mountain but figure any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm tied to Trek for this first bike because even though I can switch for another model, I can't really see returning it at the moment (and to be honest I love them and their customer support).

Thanks!
When you start getting into longer rides, you may find flat bars to be limiting. One hand position, one riding position. Drop bars offer multiple hand positions and riding positions. And on longer rides, the neutral position, with hands on the hoods is so much more natural for the hands and wrists.
That said, if 90% or more of your rides are less than 2 hours, you might be fine sticking with your flat bars.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 06:12 PM
  #5  
AU Tiger
Senior Member
 
AU Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: central Pennsylvania
Posts: 448

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Well everyone is different, so what works for me may not work best for you. Having said that, I would (and did) go with a gravel bike.

I started off with a flat bar Fuji Absolute in 2015. It was an excellent bike to introduce me to the sport, and I have no regrets about buying it. But over time I realized that I preferred the more natural hand position which drop bars would provide (the hoods, specifically). I tried bar ends for a while, but I ride on roads and just didn't feel safe having to completely change hand positions to reach the brake. So last year I traded the Absolute in for a gravel bike (Fuji Jari), and it was definitely the right choice for me. I enjoy riding much more now than I did before because I have no numbness in my hands. This coming week will make one year since I bought it, and I've put a little over 3,000 miles on it so far - which is almost as much as I put on the other bike in the four years I owned it. It's just a really fun bike. I know everyone has their own idea of what a hybrid bike is, but to me a gravel bike is a perfect hybrid bike because it's made to handle paved and unpaved roads, all while providing endurance geometry and a more natural hand position which allows for longer rides without fighting hand numbness.

If you decide to go that route, you might also consider some other brands besides Trek. When I was looking at gravel bikes last year, I think the Checkpoint's tire clearance was narrower than some from other brands like the Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Topstone, and Fuji Jari. If you think you might eventually want to put wider 650b tires on it, Trek may not be the best choice. Also pay attention to seemingly little things, such as the number and location of brazeons. I really like having them on the top tube - I have a small bag mounted there for snacks or keys, and it doesn't wobble around like a bag that's velcroed on. And I like having the extra mounting points under the down tube - I keep my repair kit there. Just saying that if you're going to get a gravel bike, those are some differences I noticed last year when I was looking for mine. Of course with the newer models that may have changed.
AU Tiger is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 06:51 PM
  #6  
bigevil
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freaking awesome thoughts/advice everyone. It seems like maybe I spend next few month's on the FX, and when I'm ready to get into longer rides, more aggressive stuff I switch to a gravel (or buy a second perhaps?).

Stupid question, but can I be taking my FX onto dirt paths (flat), shallow grass, and like slightly tougher road surfaces?
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 10:10 PM
  #7  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,148

Bikes: 1991 Diamond Back Apex 91 Fuji Sundance 1989 Trek 970 Soma Fog Cutter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
Stupid question, but can I be taking my FX onto dirt paths (flat), shallow grass, and like slightly tougher road surfaces?
Yes, as long as you can handle it, your bike can ride it.

The biggest limitation for flat bars is the lack of hand positions. I think 45 miles was the longest I road on a flat bar and I was moving my hands around quite a bit (no bar ends). If you get into longer rides, adding bar ends will help.
katsup is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 09:24 PM
  #8  
AU Tiger
Senior Member
 
AU Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: central Pennsylvania
Posts: 448

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Following up on my previous post about tire clearance, Trek contradicts itself on its own website. Here it says the maximum tire clearance on the Checkpoint is 700x38, but here it says 700x45. That's something you could easily check in the shop if it's important to you. The Checkpoint is a good bike overall, that's for sure.

For comparison, the Fuji Jari and Cannondale Topstone both list max clearance as 700x42, and the Specialized Diverge leads the pack with 700x47.

Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
Freaking awesome thoughts/advice everyone. It seems like maybe I spend next few month's on the FX, and when I'm ready to get into longer rides, more aggressive stuff I switch to a gravel (or buy a second perhaps?).
Sounds like a good plan. Give yourself time to decide what you do and don't need. It may very well be that the FX is exactly what you want.

Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
Stupid question, but can I be taking my FX onto dirt paths (flat), shallow grass, and like slightly tougher road surfaces?
Very easily. You'll have no trouble with any of that. And you can always put a different tire on it that's more suited to whatever surface you're riding on most. But the FX itself will not be a problem.

Most of all, enjoy the bike!!!
AU Tiger is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 09:34 PM
  #9  
bigevil
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys (and gals) rule! I imagine I'll be back in a few weeks to report on where my head is at. Or perhaps have you all guide me into a whole different type of purchase to supplement this if I want to get more serious into gravel down the line,

Originally Posted by AU Tiger View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Give yourself time to decide what you do and don't need. It may very well be that the FX is exactly what you want.

Very easily. You'll have no trouble with any of that. And you can always put a different tire on it that's more suited to whatever surface you're riding on most. But the FX itself will not be a problem.
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
Yes, as long as you can handle it, your bike can ride it.
stairs? and hoping curbs? I know that sounds silly but I'm already temped after only one week in.
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 10:44 PM
  #10  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,148

Bikes: 1991 Diamond Back Apex 91 Fuji Sundance 1989 Trek 970 Soma Fog Cutter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
stairs? and hoping curbs? I know that sounds silly but I'm already temped after only one week in.
I was referring more to surfaces like grass, dirt, gravel, etc...That being said, the FX6 will likely be OK with curbs / stairs, but the wheels may be the weak point. I wouldn't make a habit of hoping curbs or stairs.
katsup is offline  
Old 05-25-20, 08:44 AM
  #11  
LesG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: N. Kentucky
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
first off, thanks for your time/opinions and help! This hobby is absolutely wonderful but there's SO much information and opinion. Head is spinning a bit.

I've off bike's for 20 years but even only two weeks back in and I'm already ripping and riding around and loving every minute of it.

I purchased a FX Sport 4 Carbon a week ago but found myself needing MORE in terms of power in the higher gear and switched out for a FX Sport 6 a few days ago to give the 105 a try over the GRX 1x11. For the record I'm loving it.!

My 2C worth and remember you get what you pay for. I'm buying another bike in the next month or so and have it narrowed down to either the FX 6 or the FX 4 Carbon and I keep going back and forth between the two. I ride mostly on paved roads, Mups and throw in a rail trail or two... for fitness and fun. Packed gravel comes into play every now and then. Around here (N. Ky.) I deal with a lot of hills. So both of those bikes would be just fine for me. Also, at my age, I don't like leaning over so a flat bar is what I want.

Like you discovered and after looking at the gearing for the FX 4 Carbon, it appeared to be geared leaning more toward a gravel bike than road. The FX 6, OTH, with its 2x chain ring pretty much covers it all in the gearing department. BUT, I really like the simplicity of a 1X on the FX 4 Carbon.. One thought that I've kicked around is simply change the chainring on the FX 4 to a 42 (it comes with a 40) but that's an extra expense (about $80 for a GRX one) right from the get go and I'm not sure how Trek would then view the warranty... unless the local Trek store installed it. That would put the FX 4 Carbon gearing higher although not quite as much in the higher gears of the FX 6.
LesG is offline  
Old 05-25-20, 08:49 AM
  #12  
bigevil
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
My 2C worth and remember you get what you pay for. I'm buying another bike in the next month or so and have it narrowed down to either the FX 6 or the FX 4 Carbon and I keep going back and forth between the two. I ride mostly on paved roads, Mups and throw in a rail trail or two... for fitness and fun. Packed gravel comes into play every now and then. Around here (N. Ky.) I deal with a lot of hills. So both of those bikes would be just fine for me. Also, at my age, I don't like leaning over so a flat bar is what I want.

Like you discovered and after looking at the gearing for the FX 4 Carbon, it appeared to be geared leaning more toward a gravel bike than road. The FX 6, OTH, with its 2x chain ring pretty much covers it all in the gearing department. BUT, I really like the simplicity of a 1X on the FX 4 Carbon.. One thought that I've kicked around is simply change the chainring on the FX 4 to a 42 (it comes with a 40) but that's an extra expense (about $80 for a GRX one) right from the get go and I'm not sure how Trek would then view the warranty... unless the local Trek store installed it. That would put the FX 4 Carbon gearing higher although not quite as much in the higher gears of the FX 6.
honestly, I think youíll love the fx4. I did. And I really appreciated the 1x and the entire GRX platform. I just know myself and know Iím going to push a bit harder. I do like the extra gearing on super steep hills too, but if I was riding mostly flat and not trying to rip intervals Iíd get a 4 carbon all damn day! If $ isnít an object then the 6 rules cause it also comes in black !
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-25-20, 08:53 AM
  #13  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,096

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
you guys (and gals) rule! I imagine I'll be back in a few weeks to report on where my head is at. Or perhaps have you all guide me into a whole different type of purchase to supplement this if I want to get more serious into gravel down the line,





stairs? and hoping curbs? I know that sounds silly but I'm already temped after only one week in.
The stock wheels are probably the weak point, so I would probably not be doing that, or you will find yourself looking for a good wheel builder sooner rather than later.
MRT2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.