Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

When do you change tires on your hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

When do you change tires on your hybrid?

Old 06-14-21, 07:03 PM
  #1  
ps249
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ps249's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 157

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
When do you change tires on your hybrid?

I have had my specialized sirrus since February 2019. Do you swap your tires after so many miles? Years?
ps249 is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 11:14 PM
  #2  
Slowkevin
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ps249 View Post
I have had my specialized sirrus since February 2019. Do you swap your tires after so many miles? Years?
there’s wear indicators but I changed mine when they couldn’t handle the blue and black trails hhaha
Slowkevin is offline  
Old 06-15-21, 05:19 AM
  #3  
jtaylor2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wexford, PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ps249 View Post
I have had my specialized sirrus since February 2019. Do you swap your tires after so many miles? Years?
I swap them when they are worn out. I'm sure how long that takes depends on the type/quality of the tire, rider weight and perhaps type of riding surface.. On my 2012 Trek 7.3 FX I get about 8000 miles on a rear tire and got 22640 miles and 7 years on the factory front tire. Currently have 28000 miles on the bike and am on my 4th rear tire and 2nd front. And I'm probably jinxing myself, but I've only had one flat in all that time.

Jim
jtaylor2 is offline  
Likes For jtaylor2:
Old 06-17-21, 02:53 AM
  #4  
poiuyt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've different kinds of tires knobby and more gravel oriented, that I'm changing depending on the season (winter is muddier, so knobs are appreciated off road).

Because the rear tire wears faster than the front one, I also swap rear and front when the rear is "half-worn" (using the wear indicators). And then I replace the rear one when it is worn-out (see post below, compelling point). But I only dispose them when they are worn out (wear indicators or too big cracks) or not fit for the purpose — for the knobby ones, though.

Last edited by poiuyt; 06-17-21 at 06:19 AM.
poiuyt is offline  
Old 06-17-21, 04:45 AM
  #5  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 1,846

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Hiawatha 3sp | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 305 Posts
Replace tires when they wear down, are physically compromised, or are unsuitable for the task.

One quickly notices that the rear tires wear much faster than the fronts. It is important to not rotate tires to compensate for wear, as it is the front that does all the work in braking and steering. A front blowout is way more impactful than a rear blowout. Replace the pair or buy a new front tire and rotate the former front to the rear; you always want the best tire up front.
DorkDisk is offline  
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-17-21, 06:17 AM
  #6  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 249 Posts
This ^^^

Absent obvious damage, my regime is simple: when the wear dots are gone on the rear, I put a new tire up front and move the 'old' front to the rear. Rinse/repeat.
badger1 is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 08:00 AM
  #7  
Helderberg
Senior Member
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 703

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2 View Post
I swap them when they are worn out. I'm sure how long that takes depends on the type/quality of the tire, rider weight and perhaps type of riding surface.. On my 2012 Trek 7.3 FX I get about 8000 miles on a rear tire and got 22640 miles and 7 years on the factory front tire. Currently have 28000 miles on the bike and am on my 4th rear tire and 2nd front. And I'm probably jinxing myself, but I've only had one flat in all that time.

Jim
Could you share what tire you are using? Sounds like you are getting a good wear rate.
Thanks, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 04:00 PM
  #8  
jtaylor2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wexford, PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
Could you share what tire you are using? Sounds like you are getting a good wear rate.
Thanks, Frank.
The bike came with 32mm Bontrager Race All Weather Hard Case which were later discontinued and replaced by the Bontrager AW1 Hard Case. I'm now using the AW1 Hard Case (the regular not the light).

I got 22640 miles on the original Race All Weather Hard Case front tire and replaced it with the Bontrager AW1 Hard Case. The bike now has 28056 miles on it so the AW1 has 5416 miles on it and still going strong.

The original Race All Weather Hard Case was replaced at 7895 miles with the same kind.
The second rear tire was replaced at 15887 miles with 7992 miles on it with a AW1 because original had been discontinued
The third rear tire (the AW1) was replaced at 24872 miles with 8985 miles on it with another AW1
The forth rear tire (AW1) has 3184 miles on it and is still going.

Jim
jtaylor2 is offline  
Likes For jtaylor2:
Old 06-19-21, 05:09 PM
  #9  
Helderberg
Senior Member
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 703

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2 View Post
The bike came with 32mm Bontrager Race All Weather Hard Case which were later discontinued and replaced by the Bontrager AW1 Hard Case. I'm now using the AW1 Hard Case (the regular not the light).

I got 22640 miles on the original Race All Weather Hard Case front tire and replaced it with the Bontrager AW1 Hard Case. The bike now has 28056 miles on it so the AW1 has 5416 miles on it and still going strong.

The original Race All Weather Hard Case was replaced at 7895 miles with the same kind.
The second rear tire was replaced at 15887 miles with 7992 miles on it with a AW1 because original had been discontinued
The third rear tire (the AW1) was replaced at 24872 miles with 8985 miles on it with another AW1
The forth rear tire (AW1) has 3184 miles on it and is still going.

Jim
Much appreciated. Do you feel the ride is hard on your hands or do the sidewalls have some give? Not familiar with the Hardcase tires but am looking to move from my 37 with soft sidewalls. I am also not running tubeless as I am very comfortable with tubes.
Thanks again, Frank.

​​​​​​​
Helderberg is offline  
Old 06-20-21, 05:06 AM
  #10  
jtaylor2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wexford, PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
Much appreciated. Do you feel the ride is hard on your hands or do the sidewalls have some give? Not familiar with the Hardcase tires but am looking to move from my 37 with soft sidewalls. I am also not running tubeless as I am very comfortable with tubes.
Thanks again, Frank.
The sidewalls are fairly stiff. That makes them harder to mount then some other tires. I can't really say about the ride being hard or hard on the hands as I have only been riding this one bike and have nothing to compare. I mostly only do 20-25 mile rides and have bar ends for different hand positions so haven't had any hand problems.

Tire pressure makes a big difference in the ride. I don't check tire pressure regularly. I pump them up to 90 pounds when I lub my chain and a few weeks later when I lub again they are down to 60 or 70. The ride is much better at the lower pressure.

​​​​​​​Jim.
jtaylor2 is offline  
Likes For jtaylor2:
Old 06-20-21, 06:37 AM
  #11  
Helderberg
Senior Member
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 703

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2 View Post
The sidewalls are fairly stiff. That makes them harder to mount then some other tires. I can't really say about the ride being hard or hard on the hands as I have only been riding this one bike and have nothing to compare. I mostly only do 20-25 mile rides and have bar ends for different hand positions so haven't had any hand problems.

Tire pressure makes a big difference in the ride. I don't check tire pressure regularly. I pump them up to 90 pounds when I lub my chain and a few weeks later when I lub again they are down to 60 or 70. The ride is much better at the lower pressure.

Jim.
Thank you for the information.
​​​​​​​Be safe, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 06-20-21, 08:46 AM
  #12  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,064

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2 View Post
I got 22640 miles on the original Race All Weather Hard Case front tire.

The original Race All Weather Hard Case was replaced at 7895 miles with the same kind.
I'm sorry, either I'm reading this wrong or something.... but I'm finding it really hard to believe you got 22620 miles out of a new stock tire even under the best of circumstances. To further clarify, are you saying you got 22620 out of the front and 7895 from the back on the tires that cam with the bike?. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time swallowing that one.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 06-20-21, 01:04 PM
  #13  
jtaylor2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wexford, PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I'm sorry, either I'm reading this wrong or something.... but I'm finding it really hard to believe you got 22620 miles out of a new stock tire even under the best of circumstances. To further clarify, are you saying you got 22620 out of the front and 7895 from the back on the tires that cam with the bike?. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time swallowing that one.
That's what I am saying. I keep meticulous maintenance records. Disbelieve what you want, Attached is a PDF of my complete maintenance records of that bike. You can either believe them or not as you see fit.

Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BikeMaint.pdf (19.9 KB, 18 views)
jtaylor2 is offline  
Likes For jtaylor2:
Old 07-03-21, 06:49 AM
  #14  
BiciMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 263

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2 View Post
That's what I am saying. I keep meticulous maintenance records. Disbelieve what you want, Attached is a PDF of my complete maintenance records of that bike. You can either believe them or not as you see fit.


Jim
Damn! Impressive, JT. It WAS hard to believe, though I don't really know what we're talking about, because I keep NO track of mileage and only eyeball-check regularly, especially each spring in my neighborhood, and go by those "data" and the feel of the ride. Geography/weather/climate and where/how you keep and maintain your bike are other variables that can make our experiences, data, and responses differ.


BTW, and speaking of... this is sort of a bump: I have a current question on the Specialized Sirrus thread about how big a tire I can use on my Sirrus -in case you or others have any experience/input on the matter. My original Sirrus tires have plenty of life left, cuz while they are 8 years old, they have relatively low miles on them. Yet, I am thinking of replacing them because my aging joints are thinking cushier rides are good for them. Which is also a way of adding that changing riding habits, and wanting a different ride is the most common reason I've changed tires on three bikes in recent years, though that is only/barely a related point on ps249's original question. Thanks.
BiciMan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.