Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek sport carbon 4 , gearing , vs trek sport 6 , please

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek sport carbon 4 , gearing , vs trek sport 6 , please

Old 12-07-21, 10:05 AM
  #1  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Trek sport carbon 4 , gearing , vs trek FX 2 and 3 please

(Sorry ignore title )Hi Trek FX Sport 4 has 1x11 , where as FX 2 has 3 X 8 and FX 3 has 2x 9

Can anyone tell me how much of a difference would be in the different gearing systems please.

I have the FX 2 , but considering the sport FX 4 (as sport 6 not available here for a year)

The 1x11 gearing is putting me off though would I be loosing at either end ??

Last edited by Masonchat; 12-07-21 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Changed question
Masonchat is offline  
Old 12-09-21, 07:25 AM
  #2  
fishboat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,458

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata drop bar conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conv

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 468 Times in 276 Posts
Bicycle Gear Calculator
fishboat is offline  
Likes For fishboat:
Old 12-09-21, 12:04 PM
  #3  
travbikeman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonchat View Post
(Sorry i
I have the FX 2 , but considering the sport FX 4 (as sport 6 not available here for a year)

The 1x11 gearing is putting me off though would I be loosing at either end ??
You need to ask yourself, what speeds do you ride and do you use the larger chain ring on your current bike for a faster speed? Do you need or use the granny gear?

The chain ring on the 1x11 bike is 40 tooth, but it won't let you go at a speed that you have with either the 46 tooth or 48 tooth bike on the 2x and 3x systems.

But if that's not a preference, the 1 x system makes the shifting simpler, should offer close to the range of the bikes or going up hill.

I personally, like the 1x very much that all of my bikes and son's bike have them.

**Just an FYI, the 2022 models are about out. Both the 3 and 4 will be a 1x system and the 2 is a 2x system.

Last edited by travbikeman; 12-09-21 at 12:10 PM.
travbikeman is offline  
Old 12-09-21, 01:08 PM
  #4  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman View Post
You need to ask yourself, what speeds do you ride and do you use the larger chain ring on your current bike for a faster speed? Do you need or use the granny gear?

The chain ring on the 1x11 bike is 40 tooth, but it won't let you go at a speed that you have with either the 46 tooth or 48 tooth bike on the 2x and 3x systems.

But if that's not a preference, the 1 x system makes the shifting simpler, should offer close to the range of the bikes or going up hill.

I personally, like the 1x very much that all of my bikes and son's bike have them.

**Just an FYI, the 2022 models are about out. Both the 3 and 4 will be a 1x system and the 2 is a 2x system.
thanks travbikeman,
I had to look up granny gear to be sure😆, but yes I need it to come up really sharp inclines , I live at the top of one such hill it's almost vertical 😄

But I never come of my saddle , included is gradient of the now famous hill as its used in ironman which came to my hometown in last couple of years.

I have pulled a trailer with 2.5 gallons of Heineken up that hill in the granny gear 😆,

I suppose it's what you are use to as well , I saw that about the 2022 models ,

I am mainly in top chainring unless climbing, but even down hill I've never been able to spin out , so I'm sure you are right it most likely would be more than I need



Last edited by Masonchat; 12-09-21 at 01:23 PM.
Masonchat is offline  
Old 12-09-21, 06:43 PM
  #5  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 3,783

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 GT Vantara, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I'd recommend figuring out the gearing range that you need and then look at various 1x systems to see if they support that range. For example, what is the chain ring and cassette sprocket count in the easiest configuration that you use on a regular basis right now? What's the chain ring and cassette sprocket count in the hardest (or fastest) configuration that you use on a regular basis right now? Post that here and we can help you figure out the gearing range that you need to maintain and can identify which 1x systems support that, if any -- some people use a very wide range of gearing.

Here's a relevant thread in the Bicycle Mechanics section that may help inform your decision: Double vs triple crankset - pros and cons
hokiefyd is offline  
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-10-21, 07:57 PM
  #6  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,791

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 498 Posts
I bought my wife the FX Carbon 4 1x and she loves it. We live in a Florida, so the rear cassette 11-34 was useless, so I swapped it out for a 14-28 and that works perfect for her. I think you have to think about what your area has and if that is going to work for your needs. Swapping out cassettes is a simple and easy change.

__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Old 12-10-21, 10:00 PM
  #7  
msalvetti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 168

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 106 Posts
Double check the FX 3 gearing - for 2022 they have gone to 1x10.

On my current 21-speed Mongoose, I almost exclusively use the top 7 gears. I did a gear chart and found the Trek 1x10 would only have 5 gears over that range, but the FX 4 1x11 would have six. For that reason I think I would prefer the 1x11, so I've decided to try to find an FX 4 this spring instead of the FX 3.

Mark
msalvetti is offline  
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 12-18-21, 06:12 PM
  #8  
DarkSkyHUnter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since you already have an FX2, practice riding solely in your middle chainring (38T). That'll give you a similar feel to the 40T on an FX 4. If you find yourself spinning out a lot, you might want to consider sticking with a 2X system.
DarkSkyHUnter is offline  
Likes For DarkSkyHUnter:
Old 12-18-21, 06:39 PM
  #9  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I bought my wife the FX Carbon 4 1x and she loves it. We live in a Florida, so the rear cassette 11-34 was useless, so I swapped it out for a 14-28 and that works perfect for her. I think you have to think about what your area has and if that is going to work for your needs. Swapping out cassettes is a simple and easy change.

Looks lovely, the wheels are cool , they aren't the originals are they ?
Masonchat is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 06:53 PM
  #10  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSkyHUnter View Post
Since you already have an FX2, practice riding solely in your middle chainring (38T). That'll give you a similar feel to the 40T on an FX 4. If you find yourself spinning out a lot, you might want to consider sticking with a 2X system.
I use to ride mainly in middle chainring , but got use to using outter from 3rd gear down , these days I'm mainly in outter .
I ended up actually getting a giant fastroad sl 1 2x11 carbon fork 9.8kg Shimano 105 groupset for 700 euro less than trek FX sport 4

Enjoying it so far think I made right choice gearing wise




​​​​​
Masonchat is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 07:11 PM
  #11  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,791

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonchat View Post
Looks lovely, the wheels are cool , they aren't the originals are they ?
Thanks. The wheels are the Aeolus Pro 37's and the LBS I frequent, order them for a guy but he never came to get them, so I snagged them. They are really sweet wheels, can run them tubed or tubeless. She does not ride as much as I do, so I left them tubed for now, and put the Pirelli P Zero Race 28mm tires on them. They are the tubed versions of the P Zero Race line.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-18-21, 07:25 PM
  #12  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
Thanks. The wheels are the Aeolus Pro 37's and the LBS I frequent, order them for a guy but he never came to get them, so I snagged them. They are really sweet wheels, can run them tubed or tubeless. She does not ride as much as I do, so I left them tubed for now, and put the Pirelli P Zero Race 28mm tires on them. They are the tubed versions of the P Zero Race line.
they are really nice I'd love them , but if I spent another 1500 euro on wheels they would have me committed 😂 , and it would only be my 3rd time , no jokes 🤣, bipolar
Masonchat is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 07:32 PM
  #13  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,791

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 498 Posts
LOL.. well, I would have been committed then. I bought 2 other sets of wheels along with these. I picked up the Aelous Pro 5's for my rim brake Emonda, and Aeolus Pro 51's disc version for my Domane. I personally like the 50mm depth.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5 (On Order)
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 03:16 AM
  #14  
Masonchat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They really are stunning jaxgtr as is the the bike , I felt guilty about buying upgrade handlebar grips 🤣🤣,
Masonchat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.