Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fitness bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Carbon Fitness bike

Old 07-07-22, 07:24 PM
  #1  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Carbon Fitness bike

I would like to know if anyone has firsthand knowledge of some good carbon Fitness brands are? I am thinking of moving to something with 105 mech, two gear crank, and an 11-gear cog set. Hydraulic brakes and able to run a 37 or 40 tire and a well-known brand to cover any warranty issues.
I found the Specialized Sirrus 6.0 so what else is there that I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-07-22, 07:32 PM
  #2  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 707 Posts
Trek FX Sport 6 or something like that (the highest priced one).
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-08-22, 03:28 AM
  #3  
Sardines
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Besides Trek, there's Cube's SL Road SLT, We did have a look at the Sirrus 6, but for the price, the spec was very underwhelming, and the geometry was much more upright. But for those who care, it is 68mm BSA! haha
The new FXS6 fixed much of the older '21 model's issues, with proper internal cabling, wider tire clearance, rack mounts and even a kickstand option! However, with the 1x 40t crank, they changed it much into the gravel/trail side of things, at the expense of decent asphalt speed. That is very strange considering they fit aeolus aero wheels on them. But for the price, it's a better spec than Sirrus 6, with a lot of change to get a 2x11 system like the Ultegra 46/36 or GRX 46/30 like the Cube and switch out the RD/shifter to SRAM's GX, which has an alway on roller bearing clutch, instead of a silly switch on Shimano and the breadth to even go with 10-42.
Cube's SLT is also nicely specced, and better geared than Trek or Sirrus 6, with the 46/30t and 11-34 cassette. It also can take racks front and rear etc, and still have cash to upgrade. Granted Cube isn't as big as Specialized or Trek, but they make nifty bikes if the geometry works for you.
The geometry is probably the biggest factor in choosing your hybrid bike. More upright like the Sirrus, and a lesser extent FX 6, or a little lower and agile like the Cube.

Last edited by Sardines; 07-08-22 at 09:39 AM.
Sardines is offline  
Likes For Sardines:
Old 07-08-22, 03:39 AM
  #4  
DowneasTTer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 799

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I would like to know if anyone has firsthand knowledge of some good carbon Fitness brands are? I am thinking of moving to something with 105 mech, two gear crank, and an 11-gear cog set. Hydraulic brakes and able to run a 37 or 40 tire and a well-known brand to cover any warranty issues.
I found the Specialized Sirrus 6.0 so what else is there that I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Frank.
Hi Frank, My wife and I still use our Canyon Roadlite 9LTDs and even though we just purchased a couple of new LiteSpeed Cherohala City bikes for RV travels, we find the Canyon's to be the best bikes we have ever owned. The only problem is they don't import that model any more. I guess the market for high end flat bar bikes in the US is small and with e-bkes around the market is getting smaller. However, Canyon does have the Roadlite 8 with fills all your requests and at a bargain price. The frameset and fork are the same as our 9's. Take a look at it. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/hybrid-...nfarbe=GY%2FTQ. Good luck on your search.

Edit: Didn't see your request to go wide on the tires. Sorry the Canyon's only go to 32mm. However our Litespeed city bikes can go to much wider tires. You can see my post on them here: New LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITYs for Mr & Mrs Downeastter. They are great all around bikes. However a little more $$ for the frameset (handmade in the US). We love the 1X11 gearing btw.

Last edited by DowneasTTer; 07-08-22 at 03:44 AM.
DowneasTTer is offline  
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 07-08-22, 06:36 AM
  #5  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,305

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 328 Posts
A friend rides a Giant Fastroad & speaks very highly of it. Hers is aluminum, but Giant does make a carbon model also. Don't know what tire size it will accept. FastRoad Advanced 1 (2021) | Fitness bike | Giant Bicycles US (giant-bicycles.com)
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-08-22, 07:19 AM
  #6  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
apparently Cannondale no longer offers Quick carbon
t2p is offline  
Old 07-08-22, 07:31 AM
  #7  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
apparently Cannondale no longer offers Quick carbon
I saw this as it would have been my go-to. I have a Quick 3 2019 alloy and like it but I bought the wrong size and am now trying to correct that mistake. Size-wise mine is way too big and I have changed the stem as much as I can and also the handlebars. I need a correct-sized frame to work from and I figured at my age I might as well do it up right. Thus, the carbon search.
Be safe, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-08-22, 07:59 AM
  #8  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
Cannondale hybrid sizing is all over the place

frustrating

I was on the lookout for a Quick Carbon 1 - but found a Quick Disc 1

I've seen pictures and reviews of a Quick Carbon - but never saw one in person

Last edited by t2p; 07-08-22 at 08:09 AM.
t2p is offline  
Old 07-08-22, 09:23 PM
  #9  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
Cannondale hybrid sizing is all over the place

frustrating

I was on the lookout for a Quick Carbon 1 - but found a Quick Disc 1

I've seen pictures and reviews of a Quick Carbon - but never saw one in person
How do you like the Quick Disk 1? I really like my Quick but the size is wrong and I can't do long rides on it.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 04:15 AM
  #10  
DowneasTTer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 799

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
A friend rides a Giant Fastroad & speaks very highly of it. Hers is aluminum, but Giant does make a carbon model also. Don't know what tire size it will accept. FastRoad Advanced 1 (2021) | Fitness bike | Giant Bicycles US (giant-bicycles.com)
My wife and I had two FastRoad CoMax 1's, the carbon version, for several years. You can see our thread here: New Giant CoMax 1's for Mr. and Mrs. DowneasTTer.. Great bikes for sure. But the same problem as many of the road based hybrids the tire size is maxed at about 32mm. Sold them to get the LiteSpeeds that allow for much wider tires. Currently running 30mm on them but plan to swap out for 40s or so for our gravel/dirt riding.
DowneasTTer is offline  
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 07-10-22, 07:42 AM
  #11  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer View Post
My wife and I had two FastRoad CoMax 1's, the carbon version, for several years. You can see our thread here: New Giant CoMax 1's for Mr. and Mrs. DowneasTTer.. Great bikes for sure. But the same problem as many of the road based hybrids the tire size is maxed at about 32mm. Sold them to get the LiteSpeeds that allow for much wider tires. Currently running 30mm on them but plan to swap out for 40s or so for our gravel/dirt riding.
I have never ridden a Ti bike. How does it compare to a carbon bike? One of the main reasons for moving from my aluminum bikes to carbon was to get a more compliant ride as I have a back issue that is getting more acute as I age. Also, how does the sizing run on the Lightspeed?
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 08:57 AM
  #12  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
How do you like the Quick Disk 1? I really like my Quick but the size is wrong and I can't do long rides on it.
Frank.
I like it a lot ; lightweight and versatile ; I've ridden it with 30 - 32 - and 35mm tires (appears 38's would fit and possibly 40's ?) and it has worked well on pavement (w/narrow tires) and on dirt roads and easy trails (w/ wider tires)

but still need to put more time on it to provide final verdict - spent more time on a CX1 recently (due to type of riding)

and still dialing in the fit - including stem/bar/grips and a few other items ; could get a better idea later this summer / early fall - have a few longer pavement type rides planned ; hands got a little sore on the one decent pavement/road ride I did so will be interested to see how I feel after different stem and bar

not sure if a flat bar will work for me on long rides - at this point I'm partial to drop bar because I've always been comfortable on the hoods

( bike like a Jamis Renegade S2 might be ideal ? )

Last edited by t2p; 07-10-22 at 09:03 AM.
t2p is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 09:17 AM
  #13  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
I like it a lot ; lightweight and versatile ; I've ridden it with 30 - 32 - and 35mm tires (appears 38's would fit and possibly 40's ?) and it has worked well on pavement (w/narrow tires) and on dirt roads and easy trails (w/ wider tires)

but still need to put more time on it to provide final verdict - spent more time on a CX1 recently (due to type of riding)

and still dialing in the fit - including stem/bar/grips and a few other items ; could get a better idea later this summer / early fall - have a few longer pavement type rides planned ; hands got a little sore on the one decent pavement/road ride I did so will be interested to see how I feel after different stem and bar

not sure if a flat bar will work for me on long rides - at this point I'm partial to drop bar because I've always been comfortable on the hoods

( bike like a Jamis Renegade S2 might be ideal ? )

Thanks for this information. What 35mm tires did you try and how did you like them? I tried a set of WTB Riddlers like the set that came on a topstone I have. I like them but they wear out easily but are very comfortable. Looking for something that is a compromise between wide/narrow and comfortable/good wear.
Thanks for your response, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 10:06 AM
  #14  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
currently have 35mm Gravelking SS installed - but only a few rides on them ... (they measure a bit over 36mm installed)

had 32mm Gravelking SS installed before this (they measured around 31mm installed) - they appeared to wear fairly well (?) but not many miles

plan to go with 32mm Conti GP4S for some longer road rides later this summer


( using 35mm Conti Terra Speed on a CX1 )
t2p is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 10:41 AM
  #15  
DowneasTTer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 799

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I have never ridden a Ti bike. How does it compare to a carbon bike? One of the main reasons for moving from my aluminum bikes to carbon was to get a more compliant ride as I have a back issue that is getting more acute as I age. Also, how does the sizing run on the Lightspeed?
Thanks in advance, Frank.
These are the second TI bikes we own, The first are 20 year old hard tail mountain bikes purchased for our 30th anniversary. Still have and use once in a while. The Litespeeds are our of course new. Many feeling is the TI frameset on both sets of bikes are more comfortable to ride than any of the carbon based bikes we have used/owned. That incudes our Canyon RoadLites and all of the Giants we had. Plus the quality of the handmade USA frames of Litespeed, Lynskey, Seven and others is much better than those produced in the fast east (IMO). However, they are more $$.

In Giant's I was riding Large frames, With the Canyon's it is Mediums with the Litespeed it's a M/L. There phone support is the best. Give them a call, doesn't cost a penny. They are very helpful both pre and post sale and offer a 30 day return similar to Canyon.
DowneasTTer is offline  
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 07-10-22, 11:00 AM
  #16  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer View Post
These are the second TI bikes we own, The first are 20 year old hard tail mountain bikes purchased for our 30th anniversary. Still have and use once in a while. The Litespeeds are our of course new. Many feeling is the TI frameset on both sets of bikes are more comfortable to ride than any of the carbon based bikes we have used/owned. That incudes our Canyon RoadLites and all of the Giants we had. Plus the quality of the handmade USA frames of Litespeed, Lynskey, Seven and others is much better than those produced in the fast east (IMO). However, they are more $$.

In Giant's I was riding Large frames, With the Canyon's it is Mediums with the Litespeed it's a M/L. There phone support is the best. Give them a call, doesn't cost a penny. They are very helpful both pre and post sale and offer a 30 day return similar to Canyon.
Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 11:09 AM
  #17  
DowneasTTer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 799

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.
Frank.
I notice you live in NC. How far from 95? We will be traveling through sometime in Aug on our way home. We normally stay @ the Lumberton KOA for a night. If you would like to meet somewhere along the way (hopefully near a rail trail) you can try out one of the LiteSpeeds to see for yourself. I'm 6' 0" and ride the M/L and my wife is 5'6" and rides a small. Just a thought.
DowneasTTer is offline  
Old 07-10-22, 04:13 PM
  #18  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer View Post
I notice you live in NC. How far from 95? We will be traveling through sometime in Aug on our way home. We normally stay @ the Lumberton KOA for a night. If you would like to meet somewhere along the way (hopefully near a rail trail) you can try out one of the LiteSpeeds to see for yourself. I'm 6' 0" and ride the M/L and my wife is 5'6" and rides a small. Just a thought.
Thank you so very much but I will have to decline your very generous offer. Distance and a home situation would not allow this. You are very kind to offer me this opportunity and I am truly grateful for the offer. Not sure what is next for me as I have many bike shops fairly close to me but still a limited stock to choose from. I am thinking of giving LiteSpeed a call as their website is very impressive. They are out of the top end of my budget but not by a lot. That said I would have to control my urge to customize the heck out of the bike and that is a personal problem I have dealt with for a better part of my life, Thank you again, and have a safe and enjoyable trip home.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-11-22, 12:48 PM
  #19  
Sardines
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Is there a particular reason why you want carbon? For the lightweight? Compliant ride quality? Bling? haha Cos good Ti bikes are great, and there are moderately priced options out there.
Sardines is offline  
Likes For Sardines:
Old 07-11-22, 09:46 PM
  #20  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines View Post
Is there a particular reason why you want carbon? For the lightweight? Compliant ride quality? Bling? haha Cos good Ti bikes are great, and there are moderately priced options out there.
Lightweight and compliance are the two biggest factors. I have now expanded my search to include carbon endurance bikes. I have been looking at the group sets for the Hybrids and not a lot of 11 speeds offered except on the high end of the brand lines. I am going to see if there are any Ti bikes for sale near me in my size as I have read both here and from other reviews how good they are. I have a real issue with not many bikes that I am interested in being in stock. This might have to wait until later in the year when I can truly make a fair assessment.
Thank you all for your input as you have given me a lot to think about.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 01:06 AM
  #21  
Sardines
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Well as I'm sure you know, compliance/ride feel is an acquired taste and also more importantly, a design issue. Carbon frames are naturally built with compliance and stiffness in different areas. Ti frames tend to be 400-700g heavier than carbon equivalents, but the compliance is much more in the design than just the material than many think. From the butting to the thickness of the tubes in different parts of the frame, and even how the cables fit.
My custom Ti commuter/tourer/fitness bike has carbon wheels, seat post, handlebar, stem and fork, running a pinion gearbox. With all that, it rides as well as any carbon/steel/aluminum bike that doesn't have suspension. So a combination of carbon and Ti is better than a full Ti bike. And truth be told, tire size makes a bigger difference than most people realize. It also has
The endurance bike is a good choice because the geometry fits the larger proportion of riders than race bikes. However, distance riding doesn't always equate to fitness. For my commute/fitness rides, I run shorter gearing and bigger tires for comfort on the way to work, and higher resistance for fitness on the way back from work, to work on VO2 max. This way I am more time efficient with fitness workouts. It all depends on how you want to go about it.
Sardines is offline  
Likes For Sardines:
Old 07-13-22, 07:53 AM
  #22  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines View Post
Well as I'm sure you know, compliance/ride feel is an acquired taste and also more importantly, a design issue. Carbon frames are naturally built with compliance and stiffness in different areas. Ti frames tend to be 400-700g heavier than carbon equivalents, but the compliance is much more in the design than just the material than many think. From the butting to the thickness of the tubes in different parts of the frame, and even how the cables fit.
My custom Ti commuter/tourer/fitness bike has carbon wheels, seat post, handlebar, stem and fork, running a pinion gearbox. With all that, it rides as well as any carbon/steel/aluminum bike that doesn't have suspension. So a combination of carbon and Ti is better than a full Ti bike. And truth be told, tire size makes a bigger difference than most people realize. It also has
The endurance bike is a good choice because the geometry fits the larger proportion of riders than race bikes. However, distance riding doesn't always equate to fitness. For my commute/fitness rides, I run shorter gearing and bigger tires for comfort on the way to work, and higher resistance for fitness on the way back from work, to work on VO2 max. This way I am more time efficient with fitness workouts. It all depends on how you want to go about it.
I believe I am trying to do the impossible in that I want a bike that I can go out and thrash myself on a hard ride or just jump on for a leisurely ride around the village. My area is nothing but hills, with some long and substantial, so no matter what kind of ride I want, unless I put the bike in the car and drive somewhere else, it's going to be a hill workout. I think what I am trying to build/have is only possible with two different bikes. I could certainly live with that but right now I am trying to just get one that fits my changing anatomy.
Thanks, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 07-13-22, 03:21 PM
  #23  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I believe I am trying to do the impossible in that I want a bike that I can go out and thrash myself on a hard ride or just jump on for a leisurely ride around the village. My area is nothing but hills, with some long and substantial, so no matter what kind of ride I want, unless I put the bike in the car and drive somewhere else, it's going to be a hill workout. I think what I am trying to build/have is only possible with two different bikes. I could certainly live with that but right now I am trying to just get one that fits my changing anatomy.
Thanks, Frank.
I believe you are on the correct path - close or getting close

bike / type : hybrid or gravel or endurance bike ; should provide the ability to run the tire sizes you desire and provide the fit / position and versatility

(some other options might exist including rigid MTB etc - but would require some creativity and mech)

crank: 2x - 3x - 1x ? ; at least one option or possibly all three options can provide the gearing you desire when paired with the appropriate cogs / cassette


Your Quick and/or Topstone might be or might have been options - but apparently their size is an issue ?

Last edited by t2p; 07-13-22 at 03:31 PM.
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-13-22, 03:29 PM
  #24  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer View Post
I notice you live in NC. How far from 95? We will be traveling through sometime in Aug on our way home. We normally stay @ the Lumberton KOA for a night. If you would like to meet somewhere along the way (hopefully near a rail trail) you can try out one of the LiteSpeeds to see for yourself. I'm 6' 0" and ride the M/L and my wife is 5'6" and rides a small. Just a thought.
I'd like to get on the list for Mrs DowneasTTer's bike when she is ready for the next bike

Thank you in advance for your support lol
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-13-22, 05:27 PM
  #25  
Sardines
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Well not necessarily. Getting a 2x11 or 12, with a 10-42, and a 46/36 Ultegra crank, or a Pinion P1.18 will give the range of gears to do all that. You just need the proper tires and wheels to do whichever you feel like. I do that with my Ti with the Pinion P1.18, which gives me over 600% range. So I just go 32t at the crank and 24t cog at the hub, and the wide range gives me road bike top speed and the climbing gears of a touring bike, and everything else in between. In short, put the right wheels and tires on, it can do many things, comfortably and on a flat bar too! I won't hit the same speeds as my carbon road bike, but the fitness aspect is about resistance so getting the heart rate up is the point. haha
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I believe I am trying to do the impossible in that I want a bike that I can go out and thrash myself on a hard ride or just jump on for a leisurely ride around the village. My area is nothing but hills, with some long and substantial, so no matter what kind of ride I want, unless I put the bike in the car and drive somewhere else, it's going to be a hill workout. I think what I am trying to build/have is only possible with two different bikes. I could certainly live with that but right now I am trying to just get one that fits my changing anatomy.
Thanks, Frank.
Sardines is offline  
Likes For Sardines:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.