Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Old 06-12-19, 09:52 PM
  #7376  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my Cheap Little Hybrid

Almost embarrassed to post my bike with all of the gorgeous rides shown here; I've had this for 4 years now and mostly ride a 10 mile paved trail route from my home 3 or 4 times a week for fun and exercise. My top speed is around 25 mph. Although I haven't ridden many hybrids this one fits the bill for speed and comfort. Anyone care to guess the model year of this Schwinn Searcher? So far all I've done to it is replace the rear shifter and brake pads. It had been restored nicely when I bought it.
Greg C. is offline  
Likes For Greg C.:
Old 06-13-19, 04:15 AM
  #7377  
nuxx 
Senior Member
 
nuxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 77

Bikes: Custom Di2 Carbon Flatbar, Trek Madone, Giant XTC Composit 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y View Post
if you were asking about the platforms on my bike, they are by fooker, a far-east inexpensive brand you'll find all over amazon.
Haha, no wonder I mistook them for Race Face Chester pedals... THEY USE THE SAME MOLD:
!
nuxx is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 12:51 PM
  #7378  
t_e_r_r_y 
Senior Member
 
t_e_r_r_y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: oregon coast
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Haha, no wonder I mistook them for Race Face Chester pedals... THEY USE THE SAME MOLD
haha that's great. i wonder if the company pumping out the pedals sells them as white-label and race face re-brands them or if these are just straight up a knock off.

either way, they are great! highly recommended. they are completely serviceable too, not that it's that big of a deal to replace them when they go at $25 a pair.
t_e_r_r_y is online now  
Old 06-13-19, 12:55 PM
  #7379  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 42 Posts
Those $25 Fookers look like a great option!

To be sure, Race Face doesn't actually manufacture the Chester pedals -- they're very likely produced for them under contract. It seems that their contract either doesn't prevent the manufacturer from also selling/labeling to other brands, or they're going outside the contract to do it. The fact that the same little stamps and tooling marks are visible means it's very likely they're produced using the same molds.

I did observe that the axles themselves are different. It looks like the Race Face ones used a smaller hex key size than the Fookers.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 07:08 AM
  #7380  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Almost embarrassed to post my bike with all of the gorgeous rides shown here; I've had this for 4 years now and mostly ride a 10 mile paved trail route from my home 3 or 4 times a week for fun and exercise. My top speed is around 25 mph. Although I haven't ridden many hybrids this one fits the bill for speed and comfort. Anyone care to guess the model year of this Schwinn Searcher? So far all I've done to it is replace the rear shifter and brake pads. It had been restored nicely when I bought it.
It has the "epicenter" seatstays and graphics of the mid 90s when Schwinn was still US owned and tried one last time to compete. Nothing says 90's like GripShift and AceraX came out in 95, and that is what I would guess for vintage. The cranks look like they got swapped out some time ago.

Those era Schwinns were very high quality, the high end MTBs were handmade in CO at the Yeti factory. Yours was probably built by Giant in Taiwan
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 07:02 PM
  #7381  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
It has the "epicenter" seatstays and graphics of the mid 90s when Schwinn was still US owned and tried one last time to compete. Nothing says 90's like GripShift and AceraX came out in 95, and that is what I would guess for vintage. The cranks look like they got swapped out some time ago.

Those era Schwinns were very high quality, the high end MTBs were handmade in CO at the Yeti factory. Yours was probably built by Giant in Taiwan
I think you're correct on all accounts DorkDisk. It is a '95 and not one of the upgraded models. It came from a bicycle shop in Ohio judging by the sticker on the frame. I hadn't noticed the crank as not being original but I think you're right. And it was likely an improvement. Nice to know it was built by Giant. Thanks for the added information.
Greg C. is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 07:35 PM
  #7382  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 42 Posts
You may find a date stamp with a leading "G" in one of the rear dropouts. That would bring near certainty to the notion that it was produced by Giant.
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 09:00 PM
  #7383  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
You may find a date stamp with a leading "G" in one of the rear dropouts. That would bring near certainty to the notion that it was produced by Giant.
Thanks hokiefyd. I'll check. ................. Checked. Nothing anywhere except the Schwinn emblem stamped into the frame.

Last edited by Greg C.; 06-15-19 at 09:28 PM.
Greg C. is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 07:23 AM
  #7384  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I think you're correct on all accounts DorkDisk. It is a '95 and not one of the upgraded models. It came from a bicycle shop in Ohio judging by the sticker on the frame. I hadn't noticed the crank as not being original but I think you're right. And it was likely an improvement. Nice to know it was built by Giant. Thanks for the added information.
Found the 95 catalog here.

Here are a few relevant pages:





IIRC that crankset was recalled by Shimano. It was a close ratio'd triple for urban riding

Edit: crank recall
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 10:45 AM
  #7385  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
Found the 95 catalog here.

Here are a few relevant pages:

IIRC that crankset was recalled by Shimano. It was a close ratio'd triple for urban riding

Edit: crank recall
Thanks DorkDisk. I'll save the link to that PDF. Looks like they were really pushing the Searcher in the mid 1990s. The original crank listed is a Sugino Impel 300. BikePedia has it listed as a "SR alloy". The replacement Shimano crank presently on mine is a FCTY30 which, thank goodness, was not one of those recalled. I'm enjoying this ride for now and will likely try to keep it going for a few more years. Thanks again for the helpful information.

Edit: Those listed in the PDF show aluminum frame. My Schwinn Searcher is actually more to the description of this from BikePedia. 95 Searcher BikePedia which still shows a round tube tig-welded steel.

Last edited by Greg C.; 06-16-19 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added info.
Greg C. is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 05:47 PM
  #7386  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Thanks DorkDisk. I'll save the link to that PDF. Looks like they were really pushing the Searcher in the mid 1990s. The original crank listed is a Sugino Impel 300. BikePedia has it listed as a "SR alloy". The replacement Shimano crank presently on mine is a FCTY30 which, thank goodness, was not one of those recalled. I'm enjoying this ride for now and will likely try to keep it going for a few more years. Thanks again for the helpful information.

Edit: Those listed in the PDF show aluminum frame. My Schwinn Searcher is actually more to the description of this from BikePedia. 95 Searcher BikePedia which still shows a round tube tig-welded steel.
I think you are confused, the relevant pages are posted above. They show a steel frame with crank specs contradicting some photos

I also wasn't clear, I was referring to the original crank the bike came with-which explains the swapped crank. Sorry for that.

Impel 300 was a high quality crankset that was OEM for several years at various price points because with nice Al rings, it was as good as XT, a hair lighter, and much cheaper.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 07:26 PM
  #7387  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
I think you are confused, the relevant pages are posted above. They show a steel frame with crank specs contradicting some photos

I also wasn't clear, I was referring to the original crank the bike came with-which explains the swapped crank. Sorry for that.

Impel 300 was a high quality crankset that was OEM for several years at various price points because with nice Al rings, it was as good as XT, a hair lighter, and much cheaper.
You are correct DorkDisk. I was looking at the wrong page in the pdf. My specs were on page 34 under Searcher Transit. Apparently it has a high tensile steel frame. As the models go higher end it looks like more chrome/moly was added. I'm learning that there's a whole lot to learn about bicycles. Between you and my local bike shop I've learned a lot this week. They did a great job replacing a spoke and truing the rear wheel. I installed the new brake pads. It took a while but I finally got them adjusted correctly. Funny the replacement pads were made by Giant. They worked fine though. Thanks again for the helpful information.
Greg C. is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 04:12 AM
  #7388  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
You are correct DorkDisk. I was looking at the wrong page in the pdf. My specs were on page 34 under Searcher Transit. Apparently it has a high tensile steel frame. As the models go higher end it looks like more chrome/moly was added. I'm learning that there's a whole lot to learn about bicycles. Between you and my local bike shop I've learned a lot this week. They did a great job replacing a spoke and truing the rear wheel. I installed the new brake pads. It took a while but I finally got them adjusted correctly. Funny the replacement pads were made by Giant. They worked fine though. Thanks again for the helpful information.
Are you sure? At a quick glance, it looks like the Searcher Range to me.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 10:56 AM
  #7389  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
Are you sure? At a quick glance, it looks like the Searcher Range to me.
After a closer look DorkDisk, it does seem to be the '95 Searcher Range. Acera deraillers, Shimano brakes, grip shift, rack mount eyelets and the emerald green color are the details that line up with the Range rather than the lower-cost Transit model. Good info. Thanks again .......... Greg
Greg C. is offline  
Old 06-24-19, 11:20 AM
  #7390  
concordino
Senior Member
 
concordino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a cloud near you
Posts: 68

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts


1996 Trek 7900 Composite Multi Track


1993 Univega Via De Oro

Been digging 90s Hybrids recently. These two are some of what I recently got. The Trek was a full build from the bare frame up.

As for the Univega, it was a curious buy after reading much about the brand and its hybrids in this forum.
concordino is offline  
Likes For concordino:
Old 06-29-19, 01:17 AM
  #7391  
limbot
Senior Member
 
limbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tasmania Australia
Posts: 269

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After losing my 2013 Trek DS 8.4 in Vietnam....

Finally ended up replacing it back in Oz with a second hand 2017 Giant ATX. Frame was a bit big but shortened the cockpit as much as I could becuase it was too good a deal to pass up.

Found a better fitting frame and have swapped everything (plus some donations from other bikes) across. Meet Frankenbike, a nice start for upgrading 😊. First upgrade a new set of Kenda Small Block 8 2.1". New shoes for my baby. 😂
limbot is offline  
Likes For limbot:
Old 06-30-19, 11:19 AM
  #7392  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 42 Posts
I've been riding my late-'60s "hybrid" lately, Peugeot UO-18 mixte. I've converted it to 622mm wheels (700c) with 35mm tires and have more modern drivetrain components on it that still match the style ('90s Shimano 105) with a Sugino crankset. The main thing I need to find still is a chain guard to replace the largest ring. I'm using it as a 26-38 double. The cassette is an 11-26 7-speed using 8-speed Dura-Ace sprockets with 7-speed spacers. It's a bit cobbled together, and all parts were used or on-hand, but it makes for a really fun ride. Riding this bike just brings you back to the basic elements of riding somehow. It's essentially the late-'60s version of what something like the Specialized Roll is today.


IMG_20190629_092029483_HDR by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Last edited by hokiefyd; 06-30-19 at 03:59 PM.
hokiefyd is offline  
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-04-19, 07:04 PM
  #7393  
vader957
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2019 Giant fastroad SL3 --My new addiction, rides like a dream!


Rain or shine i will take this shot!
vader957 is offline  
Likes For vader957:
Old 07-05-19, 10:46 AM
  #7394  
hokiefyd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 42 Posts
I like the colors and graphics on it!
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 08:44 PM
  #7395  
side_FX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What seat is that? Looks funky, I like it!
side_FX is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 07:27 AM
  #7396  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,844

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Almost embarrassed to post my bike with all of the gorgeous rides shown here; I've had this for 4 years now and mostly ride a 10 mile paved trail route from my home 3 or 4 times a week for fun and exercise. My top speed is around 25 mph. Although I haven't ridden many hybrids this one fits the bill for speed and comfort. Anyone care to guess the model year of this Schwinn Searcher? So far all I've done to it is replace the rear shifter and brake pads. It had been restored nicely when I bought it.
I dig it!

I picked a 1991 Schwinn Crosscut up for $75 and it was beat to heck. Too many years in a high school bike rack. I had it Powder coated , and then I uhh got carried away. So basically shimano XT 10s , hydraulic rim brakes.

It is a super fun geometry though,
and Giant manufactured.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-13-19, 08:04 AM
  #7397  
DorkDisk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kips Bay, NY
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I dig it!

I picked a 1991 Schwinn Crosscut up for $75 and it was beat to heck. Too many years in a high school bike rack. I had it Powder coated , and then I uhh got carried away. So basically shimano XT 10s , hydraulic rim brakes.

It is a super fun geometry though,
and Giant manufactured.
Good to see Maguras. Which levers are you using?

Nice build.
DorkDisk is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 09:03 AM
  #7398  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,844

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
Good to see Maguras. Which levers are you using?

Nice build.
what ever levers that came with the HS-11's
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 09:37 AM
  #7399  
vader957
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
What seat is that? Looks funky, I like it!
The one i have on mine is selle royal respiro. That with some padded shorts while running at 55-60 psi, I am worried that the bike has become too comfortable.
vader957 is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 08:49 PM
  #7400  
Greg C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Posts: 33

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, 95 Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Looks great Metieval. I think what I like the most about my Searcher is the frame. Your build gives me some good ideas for future improvements.
Greg C. is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
oddjob2
Classic and Vintage Sales
0
07-14-15 06:57 AM
henrythenavigat
Road Cycling
0
11-17-08 06:05 PM
Philly
Mountain Biking
10
03-04-06 11:26 PM
Jesse M
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
3
03-11-05 04:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.