Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Have you ever negotiated price at your LBS?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Have you ever negotiated price at your LBS?

Old 05-16-12, 02:51 PM
  #1  
Okiecardinal
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever negotiated price at your LBS?

Has anyone ever fished for a better price for a new bike at your LBS? Would this be considered in poor taste considering that probably the lower the price of the bike - the lower the profit margin for the owner?

I'm about to buy a newer bike and don't want to look like a mixture of a cheapskate and fool.
Okiecardinal is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:04 PM
  #2  
erg79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 542

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It couldn't hurt, as long as you aren't rude about it, I would say. If you notice that it's a previous year's model, they'd probably be willing to knock some money off to get it off the floor.

Also, besides the price of the bike itself, you might want to consider trying to get some extras thrown in, or included at a discount--a rack, say, or fenders, a new seat, etc.
erg79 is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 03:07 PM
  #3  
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious
 
contango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 3,996

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Okiecardinal View Post
Has anyone ever fished for a better price for a new bike at your LBS? Would this be considered in poor taste considering that probably the lower the price of the bike - the lower the profit margin for the owner?

I'm about to buy a newer bike and don't want to look like a mixture of a cheapskate and fool.
No reason at all not to negotiate a little. You might get some money off, you might get some accessories thrown in, you might get a bit of both. Accessories are a good way to negotiate because it represents more of a win-win situation.

If you negotiate $100 off your bike it means you gain the $100 and the owner gets $100 less. If instead you negotiate $100 worth of accessories you get $100 worth of stuff (based on retail price) and the cost to the owner is his cost price which will be less, maybe considerably less.
__________________
"For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"
contango is offline  
Old 05-16-12, 10:20 PM
  #4  
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 249

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by contango View Post
No reason at all not to negotiate a little. You might get some money off, you might get some accessories thrown in, you might get a bit of both. Accessories are a good way to negotiate because it represents more of a win-win situation.

If you negotiate $100 off your bike it means you gain the $100 and the owner gets $100 less. If instead you negotiate $100 worth of accessories you get $100 worth of stuff (based on retail price) and the cost to the owner is his cost price which will be less, maybe considerably less.
^ this is great idea.

remember, it never hurts to ask as long as you are respectful, the worst the thing you'll hear is "we can't lower the price any more".

if you're getting the bike and a speedo, fenders, seat, etc, you can always ask "what's the best price you can give me for everything?"

you can also try to negotiate things like water bottles, spare tubes, future bike maintenance/cleanings, etc.

p.s. sometimes it also helps if you mention that you will be paying cash

p.s #2 i always double check prices to make sure i'm getting a fare deal. i don't expect my LBS to match the lowest price i have seen (this includes online), but it has to be pretty competitive.

Last edited by jimnolimit; 05-16-12 at 10:32 PM.
jimnolimit is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 01:10 AM
  #5  
SHOFINE
Senior Member
 
SHOFINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 15 Posts
I tried to deal with the closest Trek dealer to my home for my 2011 Sawyer and they would not match other Trek dealers. I dealer near my work matched a Atlanta store of 1/3 off. They had no problem in ordering my bike...just paid $25 shipping.
SHOFINE is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 01:44 AM
  #6  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,849

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 117 Posts
There's more negotiating room on last year models too. And yes I've negotiated on all mine and my wife's bikes that I bought new; can't remember the details any more but all but one of the bikes were closeout models so I got prices cut more then the sale price tagged and got a few accessories thrown in.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 01:52 AM
  #7  
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious
 
contango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 3,996

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
p.s #2 i always double check prices to make sure i'm getting a fare deal. i don't expect my LBS to match the lowest price i have seen (this includes online), but it has to be pretty competitive.
One thing I always consider when comparing LBS prices to online prices is the level of service. If I push the LBS to match the online price I don't expect any more service than the online retailer gives me. Namely, "there's your part, that's 30, thanks, bye". If I'm going to want them to fit it, or advise me, or help me adjust it, I can't expect them to do that while matching the online box-shifters on price.

I know a lot of people go to the local shop, find out what they need and then buy it online to save a bit of cash. As it happens my LBS owner is quite happy when people do that with bikes, because sooner or later they take it in for a service, adjustment, tune-up etc and if they didn't buy the bike from him it's all chargeable work. For good measure if they bought a bike online he gets to charge to tune it, adjust it, sometimes fix it, and he doesn't have to carry the warranty on it.

The LBS has the usual overheads associated with running a shop - staff pay, insurance, stock costs, stock risks (theft,damage,deterioration etc). So if all I want him to do is order me something and call me when it's there I don't have a problem squeezing on price, because a lot of the usual value the LBS adds isn't there. When I ordered my roof bars to put bikes on my car his price was slightly the wrong side of 310 all in, looking on fleabay I could get everything (albeit from five different sellers) for more like 240, I haggled a little with the LBS until we settled on 265. I was happy with that price on the basis it meant I had one point of contact I trusted rather than five strangers, and they were happy because they were still making some money on the deal.
__________________
"For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"
contango is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 02:20 AM
  #8  
todayilearned
Senior Member
 
todayilearned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got $200 taken off if I paid in cash and bought $300 worth of accessories.
todayilearned is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 05:41 AM
  #9  
Igo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiecardinal View Post
Has anyone ever fished for a better price for a new bike at your LBS? Would this be considered in poor taste considering that probably the lower the price of the bike - the lower the profit margin for the owner?

I'm about to buy a newer bike and don't want to look like a mixture of a cheapskate and fool.
I like my LBS but his mark up, like most of them, is through the roof. After I bought my second bike from him, he always tells his guys "He's good for the 10%"
Igo is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 03:42 PM
  #10  
gb1044
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lbs always takes money off and if i pay cash no tax , so even bigger savings but i do tend to spend some money in there so i guess it works for both of us , but i would deff try to hagle its almost expected in ny but dont be rude about it
gb1044 is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 05:57 PM
  #11  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 852 Posts
Load up on Point-of-sale accessories. when you buy the bike. ritually 10%
off on all that .. may even put it on the bike gratis.
such as racks and Mudguards.. and offer trade ins on a different saddle
than the stock one.

+1 on cash discounts, bank cards have fees they dock from the business ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 06:20 PM
  #12  
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 249

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by contango View Post
One thing I always consider when comparing LBS prices to online prices is the level of service. If I push the LBS to match the online price I don't expect any more service than the online retailer gives me. Namely, "there's your part, that's 30, thanks, bye". If I'm going to want them to fit it, or advise me, or help me adjust it, I can't expect them to do that while matching the online box-shifters on price.

I know a lot of people go to the local shop, find out what they need and then buy it online to save a bit of cash. As it happens my LBS owner is quite happy when people do that with bikes, because sooner or later they take it in for a service, adjustment, tune-up etc and if they didn't buy the bike from him it's all chargeable work. For good measure if they bought a bike online he gets to charge to tune it, adjust it, sometimes fix it, and he doesn't have to carry the warranty on it.

The LBS has the usual overheads associated with running a shop - staff pay, insurance, stock costs, stock risks (theft,damage,deterioration etc). So if all I want him to do is order me something and call me when it's there I don't have a problem squeezing on price, because a lot of the usual value the LBS adds isn't there. When I ordered my roof bars to put bikes on my car his price was slightly the wrong side of 310 all in, looking on fleabay I could get everything (albeit from five different sellers) for more like 240, I haggled a little with the LBS until we settled on 265. I was happy with that price on the basis it meant I had one point of contact I trusted rather than five strangers, and they were happy because they were still making some money on the deal.
yeah, i don't expect my LBS to match an online price, but only be fair in comparison. i'm happy to pay a small premium to a shop to able to see and hold a product and provide customer support.
jimnolimit is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 06:21 PM
  #13  
Lexi01
Senior Member
 
Lexi01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 659

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your LBS just ask them for their best price - they will inevitably give it to you.

Is the extra $50-$100 really worth it when it comes time to them looking after you (and your bike) for the next few years. I did this with the shop that eventually turned into MY LBS when I bought my road bike. I'd been shopping around for a while and just went to them (close to home) and asked for his best price. It was a little under $100 higher than the other stores but he was a 5 min drive away and had a good reputation for service.

Best decision I ever made (concerning bikes).
Lexi01 is offline  
Old 05-17-12, 06:39 PM
  #14  
Igo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Posts: 1,498

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gb1044 View Post
My lbs always takes money off and if i pay cash no tax , so even bigger savings but i do tend to spend some money in there so i guess it works for both of us , but i would deff try to hagle its almost expected in ny but dont be rude about it
Prolly wouldn't tell that on the interweb. LOL!
Igo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tiny Tim
General Cycling Discussion
16
07-08-14 08:58 AM
miticomari
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
06-03-13 08:51 AM
adclark
Road Cycling
6
02-10-11 09:18 PM
chadwebster
Bicycle Mechanics
7
08-07-10 02:57 PM
Scott4957
Road Cycling
50
02-18-10 03:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.