Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Well, I ended up with the 2013 Trek 7.3 FX!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Well, I ended up with the 2013 Trek 7.3 FX!

Old 10-10-12, 11:02 AM
  #1  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I ended up with the 2013 Trek 7.3 FX!

Hi,

Well I test rode the 7.4 FX and could not tell that much of a difference, so I bought the 7.3. LBS put tire pressure at about 80 and the bike felt a little rigid. I may have to drop it down a bit (I weigh 175lbs), but it handles great. After about an hour, I feel like I've continued biking the past 25 years, LOL. I added the bottle holder, bike lock cable (12 gauge), small under seat bag, Giro Indicator helmet and I took off those cheap/ugly wheel reflectors. Pic attached!

Question: LBD said to keep the left side shifting gears on two and only use 1 and 3 in extreme circumstances. Going down a steep hill or up a steep hill. He said to make sure the right shifting gears were not at the other extreme. Example, 3 on left shifter and 1-5 on right or 1 on left and 5-9 on right shifter, would make chain crooked and cause rubbing on the derailer. Does this sound right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02094 (800x590).jpg (64.0 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Trek13; 10-10-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot the helmet!
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 11:12 AM
  #2  
adamhenry
MUP World Champ
 
adamhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 419

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
Question: LBD said to keep the left side shifting gears on two and only use 1 and 3 in extreme circumstances. Going down a steep hill or up a steep hill. He said to make sure the right shifting gears were not at the other extreme. Example, 3 on left shifter and 1-5 on right or 1 on left and 5-9 on right shifter, would make chain crooked and cause rubbing on the derailer. Does this sound right?
Yes, that is called cross-chaining and it puts the chain in a bind.
adamhenry is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 11:20 AM
  #3  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Cross chaining puts stress on the drive train and could potentially cause the chain to come off at the worst possible moment
no1mad is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 11:27 AM
  #4  
corwin1968
Senior Member
 
corwin1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!!

Soon you'll get a feel for which numbers on the right shifter correspond to easy pedaling and which correspond to harder pedaling. Stay in the center front ring most of the time and if you switch to the smaller (easier) front ring, stick to the the easier gears on the right shifter. If you switch to the larger (harder) front ring, stick to the harder gears on the right shifter.

Last edited by corwin1968; 10-10-12 at 11:31 AM.
corwin1968 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 11:47 AM
  #5  
JH_788
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my 7.2FX, I always kept it on 3 in the front and it never rubbed as long as I didn't go below 5 on the rear.
JH_788 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 12:02 PM
  #6  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So even though the bike has "27" speeds, only about 17 or so are usable?
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 12:04 PM
  #7  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JH_788 View Post
On my 7.2FX, I always kept it on 3 in the front and it never rubbed as long as I didn't go below 5 on the rear.
Thanks, I think 5 is the magic number. I will try it later. May be the magic number for the rear too. ??
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 12:04 PM
  #8  
scooterfrog
Senior Member
 
scooterfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes and some are duplicated.
scooterfrog is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 12:05 PM
  #9  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
Congrats on the new bike!!

Soon you'll get a feel for which numbers on the right shifter correspond to easy pedaling and which correspond to harder pedaling. Stay in the center front ring most of the time and if you switch to the smaller (easier) front ring, stick to the the easier gears on the right shifter. If you switch to the larger (harder) front ring, stick to the harder gears on the right shifter.
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 12:08 PM
  #10  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2830 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
Thanks for the replies. So even though the bike has "27" speeds, only about 17 or so are usable?
That's often true and you'll probably find that some are essentially duplicates. For me, I typically ride on all (or most of) the rear gears on the middle chainring and then figure each gear on the smaller ring is about two gears easier than the corresponding one on the middle (and each gear on the big ring is about two gears harder than that on the middle). So if you go to the easiest gear on the middle (biggest gear on the back), then go one gear harder while switching to the smallest on the front you'll find yourself in the next easiest gear. So that means you have something like 13 or so actually usable gears the way I do it with the least amount of shifting in the front. Don't know if that's best or not, but it works for me.
himespau is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 01:26 PM
  #11  
flan48
Senior Member
 
flan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Monroe Township,NJ
Posts: 407

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
Hi,

Well I test rode the 7.4 FX and could not tell that much of a difference, so I bought the 7.3. LBS put tire pressure at about 80 and the bike felt a little rigid. I may have to drop it down a bit (I weigh 175lbs), but it handles great. After about an hour, I feel like I've continued biking the past 25 years, LOL. I added the bottle holder, bike lock cable (12 gauge), small under seat bag, Giro Indicator helmet and I took off those cheap/ugly wheel reflectors. Pic attached!

Question: LBD said to keep the left side shifting gears on two and only use 1 and 3 in extreme circumstances. Going down a steep hill or up a steep hill. He said to make sure the right shifting gears were not at the other extreme. Example, 3 on left shifter and 1-5 on right or 1 on left and 5-9 on right shifter, would make chain crooked and cause rubbing on the derailer. Does this sound right?
Hey Trek13,
Congratulations, good luck, and happy riding!
I see others have already responded vis-a-vis cross chaining.
Best regards
flan48 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 01:29 PM
  #12  
flan48
Senior Member
 
flan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Monroe Township,NJ
Posts: 407

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
That's often true and you'll probably find that some are essentially duplicates. For me, I typically ride on all (or most of) the rear gears on the middle chainring and then figure each gear on the smaller ring is about two gears easier than the corresponding one on the middle (and each gear on the big ring is about two gears harder than that on the middle). So if you go to the easiest gear on the middle (biggest gear on the back), then go one gear harder while switching to the smallest on the front you'll find yourself in the next easiest gear. So that means you have something like 13 or so actually usable gears the way I do it with the least amount of shifting in the front. Don't know if that's best or not, but it works for me.
Yes, that is basically my approach as well. I use most of the rear gears, perhaps not 9, and sometimes, on a nasty hill, shift to the smallest chain ring up front.
Best regards
flan48 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 03:47 PM
  #13  
mac61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 135

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats - i have a 7.3 and ride in the middle front gear and 5-7 rear. Starting off in 5th is ok for me and then as i get speed, shift up. I only use the large front gear when i know i don't have to stop for a while and can cruse along. Enjoy your ride.
mac61 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 04:24 PM
  #14  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mac61 View Post
Congrats - i have a 7.3 and ride in the middle front gear and 5-7 rear. Starting off in 5th is ok for me and then as i get speed, shift up. I only use the large front gear when i know i don't have to stop for a while and can cruse along. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks, I'm pretty much doing 2 in front and 5-8 in rear most of my rides. This bike is fast. I went onto a smooth slight downgrade long street "without my 6.5 yr old" and put it in 3 front and 7 or 8 rear and I was flying! LOL.
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:04 PM
  #15  
JohnnyRides
Member
 
JohnnyRides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 46

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.3 FX 2013 Giant Revel 0 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! You will enjoy that bike more and more with each time you ride it.
JohnnyRides is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:06 PM
  #16  
Violet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a trek 7.2fx from 2008 or so. It's so weird to see one set up for a normal person (evidently I'm a T-Rex or something as not only do I have the bars in the highest position I have the seat a good few cm above that).
Violet is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:53 PM
  #17  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I have a trek 7.2fx from 2008 or so. It's so weird to see one set up for a normal person (evidently I'm a T-Rex or something as not only do I have the bars in the highest position I have the seat a good few cm above that).
Yes, my 20" fit my 5'9" height, 32" inseam perfectly after LBS raised the seat about 2.5 to 3" from it's minimum. I touch down with both tip toes (barely) and have a slight bend in my knees when biking. The handlebars are just slightly higher (1/2-1" at most) than the seat which makes it comfy for me.

Last edited by Trek13; 10-10-12 at 06:01 PM.
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 08:28 PM
  #18  
Crankykentucky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 140

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
Hi,

Well I test rode the 7.4 FX and could not tell that much of a difference, so I bought the 7.3. LBS put tire pressure at about 80 and the bike felt a little rigid. I may have to drop it down a bit (I weigh 175lbs), but it handles great. After about an hour, I feel like I've continued biking the past 25 years, LOL. I added the bottle holder, bike lock cable (12 gauge), small under seat bag, Giro Indicator helmet and I took off those cheap/ugly wheel reflectors. Pic attached!

Question: LBD said to keep the left side shifting gears on two and only use 1 and 3 in extreme circumstances. Going down a steep hill or up a steep hill. He said to make sure the right shifting gears were not at the other extreme. Example, 3 on left shifter and 1-5 on right or 1 on left and 5-9 on right shifter, would make chain crooked and cause rubbing on the derailer. Does this sound right?

Congrats! Did you try a Trek DS while you we're researching bikes?
Just curious because I am still comparing bikes.
Crankykentucky is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 07:07 AM
  #19  
Trek13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankykentucky View Post
Congrats! Did you try a Trek DS while you we're researching bikes?
Just curious because I am still comparing bikes.
Yes, I did. I found the front end suspension to be a little disconnected compared to the fixed front end of the FX. Also the FX was a bit faster and easier to maneuver. If you are ever going to ride on loose gravel or worse, don't get an FX though. Go with the DS or Giant Roam.

Last edited by Trek13; 10-11-12 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
Trek13 is offline  
Old 10-11-12, 10:22 AM
  #20  
fire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa Bay area, Florida
Posts: 217

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
That's often true and you'll probably find that some are essentially duplicates. For me, I typically ride on all (or most of) the rear gears on the middle chainring and then figure each gear on the smaller ring is about two gears easier than the corresponding one on the middle (and each gear on the big ring is about two gears harder than that on the middle). So if you go to the easiest gear on the middle (biggest gear on the back), then go one gear harder while switching to the smallest on the front you'll find yourself in the next easiest gear. So that means you have something like 13 or so actually usable gears the way I do it with the least amount of shifting in the front. Don't know if that's best or not, but it works for me.
The whole thing has to depend on where one rides really, doesn't it. If I was riding somewhere with any kind of decent hills, then I'd adjust the way I geared. As a central Florida rider, where it's predominently flat, I never really find the need to use anything but the top cog on the front derailleur, and barely ever need to go below 3 on the back. Going to 2 on the front ring seems unnecessary, especially when the bike spends most of its cruising time in 6 or 7 on the back within just a few hundred yards of starting off.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
fire is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
gregf83
Bicycle Mechanics
5
03-26-18 09:52 PM
jaslynn
Bicycle Mechanics
9
01-30-12 08:09 PM
jeneralist
Bicycle Mechanics
0
01-15-12 03:44 PM
solarx10
Mountain Biking
4
07-23-10 02:35 PM
HiddenVariable
Bicycle Mechanics
2
06-23-10 11:54 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.