Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Current Tire Discontinued: Seeking input about 700x28 tires in relation to 32mm tires

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Current Tire Discontinued: Seeking input about 700x28 tires in relation to 32mm tires

Old 05-20-14, 02:11 PM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Current Tire Discontinued: Seeking input about 700x28 tires on less than ideal roads

Iíve been riding 700x32 Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires (they were discontinud) and am considering a specific make and model in 700x28mm; the Schwable Durano Road tires, with 28mm being the widest they make. They appear to be a pretty good all around tire for my purposes.

Note: I'm not really looking for specific tire model suggestions, but if you have experience with the Schwalbe Durano Road or similar tires by Schwalbe (Durano Plus, Durano S), please share it.

Regarding my overall question, I've found a few people asking basically the same question, about using a 700x28mm tire on non-ideal surfaces/roads It doesn't seem like a split, and maybe I should make a bit of a tally, to gain even more insight as there is more than just a couple of pieces of input, but not a lot of it. Here is one thread.

My top concerns regarding tires in decreasing order of importance:

1.) Comfort/Stability/Safety: Iím primarily concerned about how the 28mm tires compare to the 32mm tires in regards to handling potholes or patchwork causing a ride that feels more bumpy with thinner tires and also concerned about openings that form between uneven cement slabs that have perhaps a small gap. If you have no experience with tires wider than 28mm, but do have experience riding with 700x28 tires on roads that aren't in great shape, let me know how they rode, the speeds you rode, etc.

2.) Puncture-resistance/durability:
These seem to go somewhat hand-in-hand to me, but then again, Iíve historically not kept track of my mileage (just now started for different reasons and I do so not via a computer, but my memory and Google Maps with MS Excel).

3.) Speed: Is the least important, but I still like to feel like I'm moving at a decent speed. I live in the U.S., riding a lot in the suburbs in the road so being able to keep up a decent pace of 12-16 mph on roads as opposed to just streets, is desirable. I don't train or compete, just exercise and occasional commute.

Again, some relevant information about my current bicycle, tires, etc.:


Bike: 2007 Trek 7.5 FX

-Basic specs: Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Weight with myself included: Right at about 160 lbs./72 kg.

-Tires: Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, 700x32, both front and back. These are the only tires and bicycle Iíve done real road riding on (as an adult, for rides more than a mile or two and at higher speeds, roughly 10-18, avg. around 10-15 depending on distance and how hard I am wanting to go). Iíve not ridden any other tires, thinner or wider.

Riding style and surfaces:

-Riding: I do 10-40 mile rides, sometimes more, for fitness and recreation, pushing myself to a degree (10-15 MPH depending on distance), but itís on a hybrid, so I donít consider myself serious nor do I compete.

-Roads: Here where I live, in Michigan (Metro Detroit) our roads are not great. They are mostly paved (I am sorry I am ignorant on roadway type, whether it's concrete or asphalt nor would I know if it's that relevant), can be a little bumpy, uneven and/or have a small gap, length-wise, where the cement slabs meet, or are patched up/bumpy. I tend to stay on roads that arenít as bad as some of the others that are also decent regarding traffic safety. Some of the images from 2007 are poor, but here's a quick shot of the quality and type of surface, if such can be discerned via street view.

Hope I have neither too much nor too little info (working on this).

Last edited by DTownDave22; 05-21-14 at 08:06 AM. Reason: To make a point more clear/change title
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 02:56 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 822

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Likes: 0
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I don't think you can do any better than Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. As with the ones you listed the widest they come is 28s. I have found they last a long time compared with others, no flats in the last couple of years, light weight and roll well. However, they should for their cost. Here's a link to them on Amazon but you can find them for less cost elsewhere. The reviews are great. Amazon.com : Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Road Tire : Bike Tires : Sports & Outdoors[h=1][/h]
DowneasTTer is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 07:40 PM
  #3  
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 12,284

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
One issue to consider is that most 700x28 are undersized, measuring closer to 26.5 wide. Schwalbe is the exception, they tend to be close to marked size. Vittoria and Continental tend to be undersized to the point that the loss in volume effects performance on damaged pavement.

I would check the reviews of the 700x32 Vittoria Voyager Hyper. It performs like a lighter high performance tire, is true-to-size and has reliable flat protection.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 08:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 830

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think 28s are pretty big enough for gravel and dirt. Just the extra effort on taking off is what I don't really like. That's why I think 25s are the best compromise. Light feeling and agile. I have the Specialized Turbo Pro tires and really enjoy it, I don't go by the air pressure recommendation on the tires. Say 100PSI min, no they feel harsh to me, I leave them around 80 psi front and rear and it feels soft and responsive.

23s just seem to harsh now to me.
2702 is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 09:29 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
yashinon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 762

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
This is kind of OT but along the lines of tires. How often do you add air to your tires? I had the 7.3 FX tuned up at the local LBS. The tires were firm when I received the bike back. Is there a need to add air periodically during the riding season? I do know that when a bike is stored for an extended period (during the winter), air needs to be added.

I am also interested in learning more about tires, particularly tire sizes, quality of tires, etc. My apology if I have hijacked this thread.
yashinon is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 10:58 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Fudgeurpizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vero beach, fl
Posts: 127

Bikes: 2014 trek 7.7fx

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
This is kind of OT but along the lines of tires. How often do you add air to your tires? I had the 7.3 FX tuned up at the local LBS. The tires were firm when I received the bike back. Is there a need to add air periodically during the riding season? I do know that when a bike is stored for an extended period (during the winter), air needs to be added.

I am also interested in learning more about tires, particularly tire sizes, quality of tires, etc. My apology if I have hijacked this thread.
Imo check your tire pressure before every ride unless your rides are less than 24hrs apart. You'll be surprised how fast the pressure drops. On my 7.7fx I make sure I'm always at 120 psi before every ride.
Fudgeurpizzy is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 11:42 PM
  #7  
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Posts: 7,476
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I've been riding Rivendell Rolly Poly 27mm for quite sometime. They come in closer to 28mm than they do to 27mm - thanks to my trusty calipers. They handle great on trails as well as roads. Lots of broken glass and nails in the road? Their Ruffy Tuffy is the same with Kevlar. They're pricey, but I think they're worth it.

Roll-y Pol-y 700c x 28 - 10034
Panthers007 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 05:33 AM
  #8  
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,234

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, for all of the reasons you gave.......... Absolutely amazing tires, but they ain't cheap!

And, while you're at it - Schwalbe tubes hold air better than any tube I have used in the past 50 years........................ so pick up a coupl of those, too!

Personally, I don't ride smaller than 35 or 40 any longer - for the comfort. 25s, or 1" - 28s or 1 1/4 feel really harsh to me. I used to ride 'em, but not any more.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-21-14 at 05:42 AM.
Wanderer is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 03:14 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 316
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had Bontrager Hardcase Lite 700x32 on my Trek as stock too. They were serviceable but grip was nothing special and they were heavy. The only thing good I can say is that they never once had a flat. So I decided to stick with Bontrager Allweather plus 700x28. More agile and faster rolling to be sure, but despite the name, they sucked in wet--ended up wiping out twice in wet conditions. Also had a puncture early on. I retired those early and probably will never go back to Bontrager tires despite my being partial to Trek.

I think it probably is true that a lot of 700x28's run small. Not always though. The above Bontragers ran true to size. I had a freebie set of Conti ComfortContacts that were slightly big. The aforementioned Conti 4seasons do run small but are excellent. 700x28's do feel more agile, more responsive, faster rolling. To me, that translates to more fun. I ride soley for fitness and fun. I don't think I could ever go back to 700x32 on my hybrids. The ride is certainly not as comfortable but the only thing really jarring are pot holes and big cracks in the road--nothing that phases me one bit. If I see a hazard ahead, I just lift my bottom off the seat and weather the storm.

My rec: stick with 700x32 if you enjoy the status quo. Or chose 700x28 if you want to add some spice to your life, maybe up the pace, and even wear some spandex and bike specific jerseys--that's what I did and absolutely love it!
themishmosh is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 03:35 PM
  #10  
DancesWithSUVs
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Griffin Cycle Bethesda,MD
Posts: 6,983
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fudgeurpizzy
Imo check your tire pressure before every ride unless your rides are less than 24hrs apart. You'll be surprised how fast the pressure drops. On my 7.7fx I make sure I'm always at 120 psi before every ride.
Actually,it depends on the tire. High volume,low pressure tires hold air much longer than low volume,high pressure ones. I check the 2" Big Apples on my cargo bike once a week before I ride to my clinic,and usually only have to top them up a couple psi(my burping the Presta valve prolly causes as much air loss as sitting for a week). On my old cross bike with 70psi 32's I would check them 2-3 times a week. Skinny,high pressure road tires should be checked at least every other day.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 06:11 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thomaston, Georgia
Posts: 217

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Clubman, 2010 Schwinn LeTour, 2012 Raleigh Sojourn, 2011 Schwinn Voyaguer 7

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started running 700x25 Durano's on my Brevet bike. After a few hundred miles and a 600k brevet, I'm sufficiently pleased with the traction and comfort of the Durano's. They are showing almost no wear and I expect to get 5,000 miles out of a set.

I run 700x32 Vittoria Voyager Hyper on my Commuting bike. I love these tires. Sure footed, comfortable, and so far very long lasting. I highly recommend these tires.
DaHaMac is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 06:24 PM
  #12  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fudgeurpizzy
Imo check your tire pressure before every ride unless your rides are less than 24hrs apart. You'll be surprised how fast the pressure drops. On my 7.7fx I make sure I'm always at 120 psi before every ride.
I top them off and check the pressure (with a bult-in gauge in my floor pump) before every ride, partly before every ride as an insurance to try to pick up on any potential slow leak/s.
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 06:37 PM
  #13  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, for all of the reasons you gave.......... Absolutely amazing tires, but they ain't cheap!

And, while you're at it - Schwalbe tubes hold air better than any tube I have used in the past 50 years........................ so pick up a coupl of those, too!

Personally, I don't ride smaller than 35 or 40 any longer - for the comfort. 25s, or 1" - 28s or 1 1/4 feel really harsh to me. I used to ride 'em, but not any more.
Would you be willing to share the names and the stretches of those roads you ride on?

Streetview is not great, but is decent for looking at road quality, and the HD images are pretty good overall. I know riding is slim pickings here in the U.S. overall on the roads, and definitely in suburban Detroit.

So, I stick to a stretch Jefferson Ave./Biddle between Ford Ave./Northline Rd. and the Rouge River as one of only a few on-road routes. I'm partly curious also, what your known combined weight or estimated combined weight is. I've been told that it makes a difference. There are a few, but still important variables, and perhaps I should have made a simple request of that in my first post, but making a note about how I wasn't interested in additional tire recommendations seemed to miss some eyes.

Would you share part of a route you ride that makes you feel inclined to stick with tires that width? There is enough patchwork and apparently rubber or rubber-like material used to fill in narrow cracks or seams between slabs that make mild bumps on that part of my route.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 05-21-14 at 06:46 PM.
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 06:41 PM
  #14  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by themishmosh
I had Bontrager Hardcase Lite 700x32 on my Trek as stock too. They were serviceable but grip was nothing special and they were heavy. The only thing good I can say is that they never once had a flat. So I decided to stick with Bontrager Allweather plus 700x28. More agile and faster rolling to be sure, but despite the name, they sucked in wet--ended up wiping out twice in wet conditions. Also had a puncture early on. I retired those early and probably will never go back to Bontrager tires despite my being partial to Trek.

I think it probably is true that a lot of 700x28's run small. Not always though. The above Bontragers ran true to size. I had a freebie set of Conti ComfortContacts that were slightly big. The aforementioned Conti 4seasons do run small but are excellent. 700x28's do feel more agile, more responsive, faster rolling. To me, that translates to more fun. I ride soley for fitness and fun. I don't think I could ever go back to 700x32 on my hybrids. The ride is certainly not as comfortable but the only thing really jarring are pot holes and big cracks in the road--nothing that phases me one bit. If I see a hazard ahead, I just lift my bottom off the seat and weather the storm.

My rec: stick with 700x32 if you enjoy the status quo. Or chose 700x28 if you want to add some spice to your life, maybe up the pace, and even wear some spandex and bike specific jerseys--that's what I did and absolutely love it!
I am somewhat on the fence. There is a small, but still notable discount for a certain amount of money spent on an online store that has some good prices on tires, with the Duranos included. Being on a tight budget, I feel hesitant to order 4-5 tires of a width and brand/model I've never ridden before.

The posts and input I've gotten tends to be of the opinion that 700x28 is wide enough for what is characterized using various descriptors, but essentially, not excellent roads, at least the majority of people think so is what I'm saying.

I appreciate all the input from everyone thus far.
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 06:45 PM
  #15  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaHaMac
I just started running 700x25 Durano's on my Brevet bike. After a few hundred miles and a 600k brevet, I'm sufficiently pleased with the traction and comfort of the Durano's. They are showing almost no wear and I expect to get 5,000 miles out of a set.

I run 700x32 Vittoria Voyager Hyper on my Commuting bike. I love these tires. Sure footed, comfortable, and so far very long lasting. I highly recommend these tires.
Do you mind sharing a Google Maps link of at least part of a stretch that is representative of the quality of roads you ride and/or give some insight about the type of surfaces you ride your 700x25 Durano tires on? Mostly paths? Roads in great condition? Roads with patches and somewhat bumpy surfaces?

Also, the combined weight of yourself and your bike (if you don't mind).
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 08:16 PM
  #16  
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,234

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DTownDave22
Would you be willing to share the names and the stretches of those roads you ride on?

Streetview is not great, but is decent for looking at road quality, and the HD images are pretty good overall. I know riding is slim pickings here in the U.S. overall on the roads, and definitely in suburban Detroit.

So, I stick to a stretch Jefferson Ave./Biddle between Ford Ave./Northline Rd. and the Rouge River as one of only a few on-road routes. I'm partly curious also, what your known combined weight or estimated combined weight is. I've been told that it makes a difference. There are a few, but still important variables, and perhaps I should have made a simple request of that in my first post, but making a note about how I wasn't interested in additional tire recommendations seemed to miss some eyes.

Would you share part of a route you ride that makes you feel inclined to stick with tires that width? There is enough patchwork and apparently rubber or rubber-like material used to fill in narrow cracks or seams between slabs that make mild bumps on that part of my route.
I ride on everything from gravel country roads, to concrete or blacktop roads, paved and unpaved bike trails, many very rough. Illinois sure isn't known for good roads, and many are really atrocious. Me and the bike go 240-250.
Wanderer is offline  
Old 05-22-14, 06:13 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thomaston, Georgia
Posts: 217

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Clubman, 2010 Schwinn LeTour, 2012 Raleigh Sojourn, 2011 Schwinn Voyaguer 7

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTownDave22
Do you mind sharing a Google Maps link of at least part of a stretch that is representative of the quality of roads you ride and/or give some insight about the type of surfaces you ride your 700x25 Durano tires on? Mostly paths? Roads in great condition? Roads with patches and somewhat bumpy surfaces?

Also, the combined weight of yourself and your bike (if you don't mind).
I ride on a lot of chip-seal roads out of necessity. I try to avoid gravel but will do short sections. Most of these country roads are not the smoothest and part of why I chose steel frames.

This is day 1 of a 600k Brevet done on the Durano's. 01 Sweet Onion 600k - A bike ride in Oconee, GA
Brevet bike plus me = 250lbs
DaHaMac is offline  
Old 05-23-14, 08:58 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
yashinon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 762

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
What is a "Brevet Bike"?

An off-topic question but related to tires. I have a Topeak floor pump with the "Twinhead". Do I have to unscrew the little cap on the presta valve before using the pump?
yashinon is offline  
Old 05-23-14, 09:24 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
mcmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Transplanted to PDX area
Posts: 480

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
^^^Brevet is a type of event (basically, a long ride done over several days). And, yes, you have to unscrew (open) the presta valve in order to add air. Screw it shut when your done. You can go with or without the plastic caps.

To OP, I'm a bit torn on what size to advise. On the one hand, 28 mm is typical a great size for hybrid commuters; the 7.5 now comes with 28 mm. On the other hand, I know how crappy Detroit area roads can be, and the 32 mm can soften the bump (at least a bit).

One thing you might try is mixing sizes (front and back).
mcmoose is offline  
Old 05-23-14, 11:47 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 5

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 2012

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
One issue to consider is that most 700x28 are undersized, measuring closer to 26.5 wide. Schwalbe is the exception
I disagree, I think Schwalbe's own website did a rolling resistance test on their Durano 700 x 23, 25 and 28c Raceguard folding tyres. All tyres came in lower with the 28 @ 26.4

I have run the Durano 700x28c for 12 months clocking up around 10,00 Km's. They are a good tyre and durable and are now at the end of their life. I changed the rear and bought a 25c version and what a disaster!!. Running the 25c on the rear has dropped my time over the same route & distance by nearly 2 minutes due to the extra rolling resistance of the 25c (did the research as an after thought).

Have just ordered 2 Conti 700 x 28 4 seasons and expect these to be faster than the 28c Durano's. They are also approx 35g lighter each than the Durano's @ 260g Vs 295g
Fishwhisperer is offline  
Old 05-24-14, 07:07 AM
  #21  
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 12,284

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer
I disagree, I think Schwalbe's own website did a rolling resistance test on their Durano 700 x 23, 25 and 28c Raceguard folding tyres. All tyres came in lower with the 28 @ 26.4
Please provide the source for this data as is customary when referencing a document. Schwalbe' tires will measure true to size on a moderately wide rim. They will measure smaller if the rim is narrow. I would expect a 700x28 to measure true to size on one of the many popular 23mms wide rims.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-24-14 at 07:17 AM.
Barrettscv is offline  
Old 05-24-14, 03:42 PM
  #22  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 5

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 2012

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Please provide the source for this data as is customary when referencing a document. Schwalbe' tires will measure true to size on a moderately wide rim. They will measure smaller if the rim is narrow. I would expect a 700x28 to measure true to size on one of the many popular 23mms wide rims.
It was actually Velo news not Schwalbe

Here is the link

Tech FAQ: Again, bigger tires roll faster! - VeloNews.com

This is for the Duarano 700 x 23-28c folding tyre with Raceguard.
Fishwhisperer is offline  
Old 05-26-14, 07:19 PM
  #23  
Member
 
ksmoondoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 42

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also looking to upgrade tires (currently Brotrager Satellite Elite Hardcase 700x32) on my hybrid and I have been considering many of the quality tires previously mentioned in 700x28 size. I generally ride paved paths so I am also considering some slicks, including the Michelin Pro4 Service Course in 700x25. My rims are 18s so I probably wouldn't normally consider 25s but it appears these tires are undersized and measure very close to 28mm when mounted and aired to 90 psi - see review (Michelin Pro4 Review - Slowtwitch.com). Another tire that has my attention is the Schwalbe One, which appears to be their new flagship tire (they have an entire factory dedicated solely to manufacturing this tire) and is also available in 700x28. Although both the Schwalbe One and the Michelin Pro4 SC are both slicks they appear (my initial impression with no personal experience) to be lower resistance, high quality tires with descent grip and some flat protection.
ksmoondoggie is offline  
Old 05-27-14, 06:12 PM
  #24  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
DTownDave22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266

Bikes: hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks again for the replies and input.

I went with Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in the 28mm, even though 32mm was available.

It's hard to say with only 40 miles in and keeping the same tire I had already on the rear (I was somewhat eager just to try it and ease into it as opposed to changing both), but I don't notice any negatives regarding the concerns I had with comfort. It also seemed a little bit faster regarding my top speeds and I have no regrets currently.



Originally Posted by ksmoondoggie
I am also looking to upgrade tires (currently Brotrager Satellite Elite Hardcase 700x32) on my hybrid and I have been considering many of the quality tires previously mentioned in 700x28 size. I generally ride paved paths so I am also considering some slicks, including the Michelin Pro4 Service Course in 700x25. My rims are 18s so I probably wouldn't normally consider 25s but it appears these tires are undersized and measure very close to 28mm when mounted and aired to 90 psi - see review (Michelin Pro4 Review - Slowtwitch.com). Another tire that has my attention is the Schwalbe One, which appears to be their new flagship tire (they have an entire factory dedicated solely to manufacturing this tire) and is also available in 700x28. Although both the Schwalbe One and the Michelin Pro4 SC are both slicks they appear (my initial impression with no personal experience) to be lower resistance, high quality tires with descent grip and some flat protection.
If you are indeed interested in the Schwalbe One's, although it seems too good to be true (my tires were both in good shape and came here very quickly, free shipping) and if the prices were what they are now, I would have picked some up , there is a smaller online shop that has only a few brands, but a decent selection, including Schwalbe. There is a small discount as well for purchases above two price levels. I feel semi-paranoid now having posted a message that included information regarding a good deal for a product on a (different) website (maybe they were just pretentious) but they deleted my post and appeared to at least suspend my account. I doubt that would happen here though, but just to be cautious.

If you are interested, let me know, and I can PM you.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 05-27-14 at 07:07 PM. Reason: grammar
DTownDave22 is offline  
Old 05-27-14, 06:46 PM
  #25  
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,234

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
When you need to do the rear, don't be afraid to mix sizes. I run a 35 on the front, and a 40 on the rear. If you go with a 32 or 35, you will gain more comfort, and lose nothing.
Wanderer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.