Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

Old 08-25-20, 01:03 PM
  #1  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

I have decided to get an indoor trainer as I keep fluctuating by 20-30lbs each winter and spend the summer losing it. I ride alone strictly for fitness and I like the idea of a smart trainer and the distraction of watching a virtual world go by.

Reading through one of the software reviews I saw that at least one allows using Google maps to select your route. Wouldn't it make sense to just simply ride through Google Streetview? Either have a third party app provide the elevation change to feed the resistance or Google could do it themselves easy enough with their resources.

I'm not interested in races, group rides, monitoring power etc. etc..

It would be great to do this without a monthly subscription. Perhaps Racx's TTS would be best? I know people complain about paying for routes/videos but if u can buy a few for a finite cost that would be great.

I really wouldn't want to pay more than $10 for a subscription if that ends up being the only choice.

Any suggestions?
Synmag is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 01:18 PM
  #2  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 829

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Synmag View Post
I have decided to get an indoor trainer as I keep fluctuating by 20-30lbs each winter and spend the summer losing it. I ride alone strictly for fitness and I like the idea of a smart trainer and the distraction of watching a virtual world go by.

Reading through one of the software reviews I saw that at least one allows using Google maps to select your route. Wouldn't it make sense to just simply ride through Google Streetview? Either have a third party app provide the elevation change to feed the resistance or Google could do it themselves easy enough with their resources.

I'm not interested in races, group rides, monitoring power etc. etc..

It would be great to do this without a monthly subscription. Perhaps Racx's TTS would be best? I know people complain about paying for routes/videos but if u can buy a few for a finite cost that would be great.

I really wouldn't want to pay more than $10 for a subscription if that ends up being the only choice.

Any suggestions?
This does not seem practicable to me. i've looked at street view a few times and it is dog slow. maybe if all the images were downloaded prior to riding but that would really eat up a lot of space to make it smooth flowing. neat idea though.
spelger is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 02:57 PM
  #3  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,453

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 250 Posts
You can apparently do this with Golden Cheetah, but like its many other features, figuring out how to use it is a challenge. I've never done it myself.
surak is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 04:53 PM
  #4  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Never heard of it, thanks for pointing it out!

Originally Posted by surak View Post
You can apparently do this with Golden Cheetah, but like its many other features, figuring out how to use it is a challenge. I've never done it myself.
I see it listed on it's ride indoor feature list. I will definitely investigate. Thanks!
Synmag is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 05:01 PM
  #5  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 849

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, Two Cervelo R3's 2011 & 2018, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 198 Posts
Take a look at FulGaz.
It is rides all over the world filmed in 4K. I ride them using my indoor bike.
At $109/year it is less than the $10/month you mention.
That is assuming you meant $10/month.

They offer a 30day trial in full 4K rez, and some low rez rides you can just "take a look at"

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-25-20, 06:21 PM
  #6  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Take a look at FulGaz.
It is rides all over the world filmed in 4K. I ride them using my indoor bike.
At $109/year it is less than the $10/month you mention.
That is assuming you meant $10/month.

They offer a 30day trial in full 4K rez, and some low rez rides you can just "take a look at"

Barry
Sounds good. Can it control a smart trainer and does it use it's speed to drive the video or is it just a passive view and your pedal along?
Synmag is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 06:26 PM
  #7  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 849

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, Two Cervelo R3's 2011 & 2018, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 198 Posts
FulGaz

Originally Posted by Synmag View Post
Sounds good. Can it control a smart trainer and does it use it's speed to drive the video or is it just a passive view and your pedal along?
With a smart trainer, your power output controls the speed at which you move through the video.
Or
You can choose to move through the video at the speed it was filmed, regardless of your pedaling or not.

It also offers Structured Interval training using the movies as a backdrop. I’m working this way currently.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 08:12 PM
  #8  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Or
You can choose to move through the video at the speed it was filmed, regardless of your pedaling or not.

It also offers Structured Interval training using the movies as a backdrop. Im working this way currently.

Barry
These sounds pretty intuitive actually. Without a smart trainer one could up the effort to match uphill movement and ease off on descents or flat sections.

I have my eye on aTacx Galaxia for a good price second hand. May not need a smart device after all.

The interval training matches what I usually do outdoors.

I will take advantage of all the free trials. That should get me through the first winter almost.
Synmag is offline  
Old 08-25-20, 08:51 PM
  #9  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 849

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, Two Cervelo R3's 2011 & 2018, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Synmag View Post
These sounds pretty intuitive actually. Without a smart trainer one could up the effort to match uphill movement and ease off on descents or flat sections.

I have my eye on aTacx Galaxia for a good price second hand. May not need a smart device after all.

The interval training matches what I usually do outdoors.

I will take advantage of all the free trials. That should get me through the first winter almost.
Find yourself a used single sided power meter pedal, and a non-smart trainer is all you need.
Best if it does bluetooth and not just Ant+

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 01:54 AM
  #10  
mattcalifornia
Senior Member
 
mattcalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: oestelay
Posts: 128

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 41 Posts
It should be do-able. Our Nordictrack incline trainer has this feature. It's pretty cool because you can design a route on google maps and then go running anywhere you want. I've used it to jog through neighborhoods in cities I used to live in, etc. It's not video (obviously). It's just a sequence of still frames, but it syncs to the speed your running at, so it's pretty realistic. They also offer full video runs in beautiful locations, but it doesn't sync to your speed, and you can't control the route. Somebody should definitely do this for indoor biking. I actually sent an email to Peloton requesting the feature.
mattcalifornia is offline  
Old 08-27-20, 08:27 PM
  #11  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Success! I'm a lucky owner of gently used Tacx Galaxia. I can't wait to set it up in a safe place and learn to ride it! Having said that, I doubt I will have the focus to maintain regular ride schedule in the winter to continue my 4-6 times a week 1-3 hour ride structure on it.

The more I look at smart trainers the more I come to the conclusion that a mid level direct drive unit will be the best solution for me. I really don't want to waste money on a fluid trainer that I could have put towards a direct trainer making it even more expensive along the way.

There are big discounts on older well regarded high end units and I also like the value the Elite Suito provides if it will be back in stock before it's replaced by another model.

In the meantime, on to learning the roller and I will look into getting a power meter for my bike to get started with online apps. The goal is to have something established before November.
Synmag is offline  
Old 08-27-20, 08:37 PM
  #12  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia View Post
It should be do-able. Our Nordictrack incline trainer has this feature. It's pretty cool because you can design a route on google maps and then go running anywhere you want. I've used it to jog through neighborhoods in cities I used to live in, etc. It's not video (obviously). It's just a sequence of still frames, but it syncs to the speed your running at, so it's pretty realistic. They also offer full video runs in beautiful locations, but it doesn't sync to your speed, and you can't control the route. Somebody should definitely do this for indoor biking. I actually sent an email to Peloton requesting the feature.
Absolutely. The way streetview let's me click through and move down the street, I'm sure it can be automated and linked to a bike. It would be sufficient to keep my mind off the fact that I'm riding a bike at the same time.

I have access to a stationary bike in our gym but I can't last more than 20-25 minutes on it before being bored out of my mind.
Synmag is offline  
Old 09-03-20, 03:28 PM
  #13  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been reading some roller threads...

Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Find yourself a used single sided power meter pedal, and a non-smart trainer is all you need.
Best if it does bluetooth and not just Ant+

Barry
It looks like the are others who only use a roller for winter training. I'm going to give it a shot before making any investments in other trainers. I managed to ride the roller for a while and I think I can get enough resistance to get a workout to at worst maintain my weight during the off season.

I looked at power meters and since I never used one and don't see the need for one I'm just going to get a speed sensor and maybe a cadence sensor so I can keep track of my distance and take advantage of the online software.
Synmag is offline  
Old 09-16-20, 03:16 PM
  #14  
TrackSmart
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
You can create Google Streetview routes on Rouvy. Rouvy will simulate the real world terrain/elevation changes (assuming you have a trainer that can adjust the resistance to match). You can almost always find a 30 day trial for Rouvy if you look around. But you might get greater enjoyment by riding one of their virtual routes which have real video.

I've never had any inclination to actually try out the streetview-based routes when I could be riding a smoother-looking route with high resolution video. But that's just me.

I can see how it would be useful for previewing the terrain on a particular route you would like to try.
TrackSmart is offline  
Old 09-18-20, 07:07 PM
  #15  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart View Post
You can create Google Streetview routes on Rouvy. Rouvy will simulate the real world terrain/elevation changes (assuming you have a trainer that can adjust the resistance to match). You can almost always find a 30 day trial for Rouvy if you look around. But you might get greater enjoyment by riding one of their virtual routes which have real video.

I've never had any inclination to actually try out the streetview-based routes when I could be riding a smoother-looking route with high resolution video. But that's just me.

I can see how it would be useful for previewing the terrain on a particular route you would like to try.
I will check it out. I was thinking about it as a free option but I agree with you that is they have a better option like hi-res video, I would prefer that too. With a roller I'm going to be the one controlling the power.
Synmag is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 01:57 PM
  #16  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,167

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Synmag View Post
Absolutely. The way streetview let's me click through and move down the street, I'm sure it can be automated and linked to a bike. It would be sufficient to keep my mind off the fact that I'm riding a bike at the same time.
That would be terrible...you would be better off playing a youtube video. YouTube has training videos from a first person perspective riding.

As mentioned before....look at FulGaz if you want real video.
jadocs is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 10:36 AM
  #17  
alpharalpha
Senior Member
 
alpharalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Hillsborough County, FL
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a a great idea; to be able to ride while seeing streetview would be awesome. But paying a monthly service for it not so much. This is new idea to me so don't have much to add right now, but I use a pc--htpc in living room where I will be cycling--do you use windows, or are looking for android/ios etc? Maybe can find program that will do it. Anyone know of one for pc? In meantime I will do a bit of searching, see what I can find.
alpharalpha is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 11:37 PM
  #18  
Synmag
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha View Post
That's a a great idea; to be able to ride while seeing streetview would be awesome. But paying a monthly service for it not so much. This is new idea to me so don't have much to add right now, but I use a pc--htpc in living room where I will be cycling--do you use windows, or are looking for android/ios etc? Maybe can find program that will do it. Anyone know of one for pc? In meantime I will do a bit of searching, see what I can find.

I have two older windows 7 laptops one of which I just upgraded to win 10 as Dell has come up with various required upgraded drivers. Some programs need windows 10. I actually have been watching ridealong youtube videos which do the trick of sufficiently engaging me in the ride to lose track of time and last ~2hours. I have totally given up on buying a smart trainer as I don't care about power metrics I'm just interested in distance and heart rate data. I find it perfectly natural to match my effort level to what's on screen i.e. speed up/slow down for up/down hills simply by shifting. I am able to get to my max heart rate on my roller.


Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I wanted to try full gaz but I believe it requires a trainer in addition to Win10. I am now exploring Rouvy which looks like it allows only speed/cadence sensors but it requires BT 4 so I'm looking at getting a USB dongle for either BT or ant+. I'm not sure why but it doesn't recognize my H10 hrm even through I can connect it to my laptop where it shows as connected in Win10. I think it needs BT 4 for the low power.


Golden Cheetah has google maps listed someone mentioned it but now that I installed it, it also requires a smart trainer and I can't see how google maps is used.


If you have a trainer you will have more options. I might spring for a BT 4 dongle just to try Rouvy and other apps that allow only speed/cadence sensors.
Synmag is offline  
Old 01-17-21, 07:50 PM
  #19  
oujeep1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 478

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use both zwift and rouvy, much prefer rouvy. The street view rides that are already available are very realistic, those that are not street level are not as good, you are looking down on the road and see your little avatar moving but its not like you are really there. Have had some issues with the camera stopping, and skipping ahead, you can fix that by downloading the video before you ride but that takes some time. Not as many choices of rides as zwift but much more realistic.
oujeep1 is offline  
Likes For oujeep1:
Old 01-20-21, 07:08 PM
  #20  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 399

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 62 Posts
I've been using Zwift for several months now. Just started dabbling in Rouvy. After nothing more than the usual connections to my trainer & HR monitor, it brought up a ride that's supposedly right here in my neighborhood as it's first offering. Now that surprised me Of course I HAD to try it, and I couldn't believe my eyes. These are roads I've ridden, and they were recognizable..Amazing!! It goes through a lot of wine country, but once you pass the summit, there are identifiable fields of the Rogue Valley's other cash crop

Oh BTW, it's the"West River"-something route.
bmcer is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 08:48 PM
  #21  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,006

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 207 Posts
I went with Rouvy specifically because I don't race and just wanted something to allow me to ride some hills and an occasional mountain as I live is very flat Florida. I got my subscription for $10 a month. It's been really nice and my wife also uses it.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.








jaxgtr is offline  
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-19-21, 04:39 PM
  #22  
oujeep1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 478

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Updating from my previous post, I have now also tried FulGaz, I am currently on their free trial. The video is higher quality than Rouvy, but it is taken from a bicycle, most of Rouvy is taken from a car, some of the FulGaz videos if there is a lot of side to side camera motion or tilting of the camera it can be distracting. Also I cannot make it work with streaming, maybe thats an issue with my wifi, I'm not sure, so I am downloading the rides several at a time every day and when I want to ride them they are ready, am also downloading rouvy because although it sometimes works well with streaming it does sometimes stick so better to download.
So far on FulGaz I have ridden west maui, complete with "the Wall" for those familiar with west maui, and yesterday Going to the sun road- learned a very important lesson - if you are cycling along and come around a corner and two cars are stopped, you should stop too, the person filming this ride did not, and got an up close and personal view of a bear!
oujeep1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.