Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Many direct-drive trainers are incompatible with many disc brake bikes.

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Many direct-drive trainers are incompatible with many disc brake bikes.

Old 01-19-21, 01:19 PM
  #1  
Fredo_Adagio
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Smithfield, Virginia
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Many direct-drive trainers are incompatible with many disc brake bikes.

Many direct-drive trainers are incompatible with many disc brake bikes.

The rear brake caliper on many disc brake bikes fouls the body shell of many direct-drive trainers.

You have my apologies if this has already been discussed in other threads.

As a Christmas present, my wife acquiesced to my purchase of a 2021 Trek Emonda. The gentleman in the Trek store alerted me that the direct-drive Saris trainers they sell cannot be used with the 2021 Emonda.

I subsequently learned that the TACX direct drive trainers have the same problem. TACX has a workaround that involves installing a spacer that forces the rear dropouts to have a wider spacing, which doesn't seem like a very good idea.

The Wahoo Kickr direct-drive trainers also have the same problem. The Wahoo website has the following alert.

=====================================================================================

=====================================================================================

The obvious solution is to get a wheel-on trainer. This brings another complication. Newer bikes have thru axles that don't offer anything for the jaws of a wheel-on trainer to engage with on the drive side. Saris sells an adaptor that replaces the thru axle. The adaptor has different threads on either end to provide compatibility with different thru axle standards. There are other brands that offer similar adaptors. I bought one of the adaptors and found that the jaws of my old dumb trainer don't open wide enough to accommodate it. My guess is the newer smart trainers wouldn't have this problem.




My solution for the time being is to revert to riding rollers. Rollers can accommodate any bike.
Fredo_Adagio is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 01:46 PM
  #2  
ScottRiqui 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
The Emonda/Domane/Madone issue with Wahoo trainers isn't a brake caliper issue, and at least it's an easy fix (if you even need a fix at all in your particular instance).

With the KICKR v5, there's an axle spacer marked with "142" and "148," and when you have it in the "142" orientation, the wide part of the spacer can possibly hit the painted bodywork surrounding the dropout. On our KICKRs and 2021 Domanes, there's a sliver of daylight between the axle spacer and the body, but I took the spacers to a machine shop and had the wide part of the spacer machined back 2mm just to be safe. It cost me $25, and that's only because the shop has a 1/2-hour minimum charge; I probably could have had four or six done for the same price.
ScottRiqui is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 01:52 PM
  #3  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2,140

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo_Adagio View Post
My solution for the time being is to revert to riding rollers. Rollers can accommodate any bike.
If you haven't already...look into smart rollers and get the best of both worlds.
jadocs is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 11:25 PM
  #4  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,917

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo_Adagio View Post
Many direct-drive trainers are incompatible with many disc brake bikes.

The rear brake caliper on many disc brake bikes fouls the body shell of many direct-drive trainers.

You have my apologies if this has already been discussed in other threads.

As a Christmas present, my wife acquiesced to my purchase of a 2021 Trek Emonda. The gentleman in the Trek store alerted me that the direct-drive Saris trainers they sell cannot be used with the 2021 Emonda.

I subsequently learned that the TACX direct drive trainers have the same problem. TACX has a workaround that involves installing a spacer that forces the rear dropouts to have a wider spacing, which doesn't seem like a very good idea.

The Wahoo Kickr direct-drive trainers also have the same problem. The Wahoo website has the following alert.

=====================================================================================

=====================================================================================

The obvious solution is to get a wheel-on trainer. This brings another complication. Newer bikes have thru axles that don't offer anything for the jaws of a wheel-on trainer to engage with on the drive side. Saris sells an adaptor that replaces the thru axle. The adaptor has different threads on either end to provide compatibility with different thru axle standards. There are other brands that offer similar adaptors. I bought one of the adaptors and found that the jaws of my old dumb trainer don't open wide enough to accommodate it. My guess is the newer smart trainers wouldn't have this problem.




My solution for the time being is to revert to riding rollers. Rollers can accommodate any bike.
If you go with a wheel on trainer and have a thru axle, check out the Robert Axle Project for Trainer Thru Axle replacements. They work on or off the Trainer.

https://robertaxleproject.com/wind-trainer/
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 11:54 PM
  #5  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,917

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 172 Posts
replacement thru axle adapters if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133605622551

USA based ebay, looks to be the same person, but will ship to US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fix-Wahoo-c...kAAOSwoJBf3O-0
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.








Last edited by jaxgtr; 01-20-21 at 12:00 AM.
jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 01:13 AM
  #6  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 780 Posts
for $40, I should make some
unterhausen is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 08:37 AM
  #7  
blakcloud 
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,459

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S/M3L (modified)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 168 Posts
I never knew this so thanks for posting. I have a 2020 Domane and it appears to work with my Tacx Neo 2T so I guess I am lucky. I never thought to even check for compatibility when I was looking for a trainer.
blakcloud is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 09:49 AM
  #8  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 780 Posts
I don't know why trainer manufacturers dont' follow wheel standards, there just aren't any problems putting wheels in bikes. Okay, specialized did their own thing for a little while, but aside from that there aren't any problems

Apparently, Wahoo agrees with me
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/01/...bIEuOLRKdxIhi4

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-20-21 at 10:02 AM.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 07:55 PM
  #9  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,917

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
for $40, I should make some

I know right....I have a buddy with a lathe, I am going to have a chat with him.
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 08:02 PM
  #10  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,917

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't know why trainer manufacturers dont' follow wheel standards, there just aren't any problems putting wheels in bikes. Okay, specialized did their own thing for a little while, but aside from that there aren't any problems

Apparently, Wahoo agrees with me
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/01/...bIEuOLRKdxIhi4

Thanks for the post...
__________________
Brian | 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7 | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.







jaxgtr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.