Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Changes Focus

Old 05-20-22, 07:13 AM
  #26  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I had a number of ipods and never had itunes. No reason for me to do that.
Just curious; how did you get the music onto the iPod without iTunes?
dmanthree is offline  
Old 05-20-22, 07:16 AM
  #27  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser View Post
Apple ecosystem is so much better than dealing with a separate computer and separate os. As some one in the tech business. I learned that years ago. Itís great to make money off of people who use windows. But when I got home I enjoy the calm MacOS system.
The benefit of controlling both the OS and hardware is becoming pretty obvious with Apple's move to their own silicon. Window on ARM is still a fantasy and available only via the early adopters/testers program. I've moved to an M1 Macbook and it's very fast, and really stable. Even Zwift runs perfectly on it. ;-)
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-23-22, 01:27 PM
  #28  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 532 Posts
I have owned a Peloton since 2020. My wife rides it. She loves it - does 4-5 classes a week and has been doing that regularly as a substitute to a monthly gym membership (which we both dropped in 2020). My wife has zero interest in riding bikes outside, even for casual/transportation, but definitely not for fitness.

I, on the other hand, have used "her" Peloton bike exactly twice. I actually kind of like it and the classes are a good way to get in a high intensity short workout, but I would much rather ride on Zwift (when I'm not riding outdoors). The Peloton bike is pretty nice and has a huge screen, but I find it frustrating that there's not more adjustments for the fit. I can raise/lower the seat and handlebars, but the only fore/aft adjustment is the seat, so there's no real way to adjust for reach, which feels way too short for me. I prefer the "virtual simulation" environment of Zwift, but I'm no stranger to spin classes and did many "back in the day" at my local gym as a way to stay in cycling shape during the winter, and I find the Peloton spin classes to be pretty good for what they are.

The Peloton was $1900. It's not cheap, but in the context of bike purchases I do not find this cost to be outrageous. For comparison, the core of my Zwift setup includes a smart trainer ($900), flat screen TV ($600) and Apple TV ($200). I also spent $300 on a rocker plate which was admittedly unnecessary. In the context of how much I spent on my current carbon fiber bike and carbon fiber wheelset, plus the many purchases of tires, chains, cassettes, computers, various "upgrades", etc I think the Peloton pricing is just fine.

The Peloton subscription cost is $40/mo, which is significantly more than $15/mo for Zwift. The subscription does provide access to a bunch of other classes (yoga, strength training, stretching, etc) that can be accessed from anywhere, and I do frequently use that, so there's some value in it for me there too.

Bottom line - Peloton isn't going to attract serious cyclists. They aren't trying to. Zwift isn't going to attract non-cyclists looking for a Peloton alternative either. They also aren't trying to.
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-23-22, 02:18 PM
  #29  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,384

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6245 Post(s)
Liked 6,597 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
I have owned a Peloton since 2020. My wife rides it. She loves it - does 4-5 classes a week and has been doing that regularly as a substitute to a monthly gym membership (which we both dropped in 2020). My wife has zero interest in riding bikes outside, even for casual/transportation, but definitely not for fitness.

I, on the other hand, have used "her" Peloton bike exactly twice. I actually kind of like it and the classes are a good way to get in a high intensity short workout, but I would much rather ride on Zwift (when I'm not riding outdoors). The Peloton bike is pretty nice and has a huge screen, but I find it frustrating that there's not more adjustments for the fit. I can raise/lower the seat and handlebars, but the only fore/aft adjustment is the seat, so there's no real way to adjust for reach, which feels way too short for me. I prefer the "virtual simulation" environment of Zwift, but I'm no stranger to spin classes and did many "back in the day" at my local gym as a way to stay in cycling shape during the winter, and I find the Peloton spin classes to be pretty good for what they are.

The Peloton was $1900. It's not cheap, but in the context of bike purchases I do not find this cost to be outrageous. For comparison, the core of my Zwift setup includes a smart trainer ($900), flat screen TV ($600) and Apple TV ($200). I also spent $300 on a rocker plate which was admittedly unnecessary. In the context of how much I spent on my current carbon fiber bike and carbon fiber wheelset, plus the many purchases of tires, chains, cassettes, computers, various "upgrades", etc I think the Peloton pricing is just fine.

The Peloton subscription cost is $40/mo, which is significantly more than $15/mo for Zwift. The subscription does provide access to a bunch of other classes (yoga, strength training, stretching, etc) that can be accessed from anywhere, and I do frequently use that, so there's some value in it for me there too.

Bottom line - Peloton isn't going to attract serious cyclists. They aren't trying to. Zwift isn't going to attract non-cyclists looking for a Peloton alternative either. They also aren't trying to.
Right. They're only in the same market if you define that market broadly enough.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 05-23-22, 03:00 PM
  #30  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Right. They're only in the same market if you define that market broadly enough.
Yeah, they are both in the "cardio exercise" market. They don't have much else in common to be honest. The standard Peloton bike is a manual gym style spin-bike. The Peloton bike+ has a bit more cross-over appeal with its accurate power measurement and ERG mode etc.

But if you are a cyclist looking to simulate real life cycling, then Peloton is not really an option. Likewise, if you are a gym rat looking to burn some calories then Zwift and all the associated hardware would be an unnecessary pita.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 11:28 AM
  #31  
blacknbluebikes 
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 965

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 254 Posts
The Peloton stock chart is the most terrifying downhill ride in cycling history. I'd say January 2021 was "Mt. Ventoux radio tower." (is that Froome running on the side of the road?)
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 10:12 PM
  #32  
tempocyclist
Full Member
 
tempocyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 445

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
The Peloton stock chart is the most terrifying downhill ride in cycling history. I'd say January 2021 was "Mt. Ventoux radio tower." (is that Froome running on the side of the road?)
Just googled their share price. Ouch! 😲

tempocyclist is offline  
Old 06-04-22, 07:44 AM
  #33  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist View Post
Just googled their share price. Ouch! 😲

That's pretty much the story of all tech stocks on the US market. It's all gone right down the pan since November.
PeteHski is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.