Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Issaquah, WA

Old 03-14-17, 11:13 PM
  #1  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Issaquah, WA

Hi - I’m a new bike owner in Issaquah, WA.

I’m in my late 50’s coming to bicycling for the first time since I was 20.
A few days ago I went to my local bike shop just to look around. Before I knew what was happening the bloke led me over to the ‘fit’ bike, then I was up in the stirrups being probed and prodded . .

I rode the Specialized Diverge A1 home today between rain showers and am pretty thrilled.

I'm planning to start with gentle 1-2 hour local rides and maybe a bit of commuting in the summer months. There are miles of bike friendly paths in this area so I'm excited to do some exploring.



Last edited by bambam900; 03-17-17 at 01:01 AM. Reason: <tasty new shiny bike photo added ~ I had to wait until I had 10 posts>
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 05:01 AM
  #2  
coominya
Senior Member
 
coominya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Aust
Posts: 1,643

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope to here some of your adventures as time goes on. Nice bike too.
coominya is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 07:22 AM
  #3  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey neighbor, welcome to BF!

Riding from Issaquah, around Mercer Island, and back is a nice ride. The bridge and Seattle have great views on a clear day.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 11:02 AM
  #4  
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 8,883

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 146 Posts
I'm just off Hwy900, May Valley Road, Coalfield area.
Sounds like the bike shop near the Ford&Chevy dealerships, I forget the name.
I prefer the one on Front Street, but I haven't bought a bike from either.

Happy to ride if you want company. Retired, but I can likely keep up for at least 30 miles.

Welcome to BF.

edit: yeah, nice bike. The spec says it will take 28mm tires but with disc brakes maybe even wider for riding the Iron Horse trail from North Bend toward the Summit.
__________________
60s? Frejus TdF/70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-15-17 at 11:10 AM.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 11:13 AM
  #5  
1Mule 
Senior Member
 
1Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver Wa.
Posts: 289

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and welcome to bikeforums
1Mule is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 01:28 PM
  #6  
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Posts: 18,210

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 72 y/o roadie. Nice bike Stop by the 50+ forum and say hello to the other old timers.
__________________
The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. - Psalm 103:8

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
RonH is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 02:04 PM
  #7  
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 8,883

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 146 Posts
just wondering if you got rear-ended (in a car) on the Issaquah to Renton road.
__________________
60s? Frejus TdF/70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Wildwood is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 02:08 PM
  #8  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I'm just off Hwy900, May Valley Road, Coalfield area.
Sounds like the bike shop near the Ford&Chevy dealerships, I forget the name.
I prefer the one on Front Street, but I haven't bought a bike from either.

Happy to ride if you want company. Retired, but I can likely keep up for at least 30 miles.

Welcome to BF.

edit: yeah, nice bike. The spec says it will take 28mm tires but with disc brakes maybe even wider for riding the Iron Horse trail from North Bend toward the Summit.
Hi - yes, Gerk's is the shop name.
I'll be happy to link up when the weather mellows a bit, but be warned - 30 miles is not on the cards for me just yet.
I'll be starting with a tootle up to the Marina and back. 5 miles seems civilized to me!
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 02:09 PM
  #9  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
just wondering if you got rear-ended (in a car) on the Issaquah to Renton road.
Not me, thankfully.
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 02:10 PM
  #10  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome messages everyone!
This seems like a cool community.
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 02:23 PM
  #11  
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 8,883

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bambam900 View Post
Hi - yes, Gerk's is the shop name.
I'll be happy to link up when the weather mellows a bit, but be warned - 30 miles is not on the cards for me just yet.
I'll be starting with a tootle up to the Marina and back. 5 miles seems civilized to me!
I didn't mean the ride had to be 30 miles, but with a new bike, it comes quickly.
PM me anytime - after you get a few more posts.
__________________
60s? Frejus TdF/70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Wildwood is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 08:51 PM
  #12  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I didn't mean the ride had to be 30 miles, but with a new bike, it comes quickly.
PM me anytime - after you get a few more posts.
Ha ha - okay then . . . just wanted you to know I'm taking it slow to begin with. I'll PM you for sure..
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 04:12 PM
  #13  
Jus7M3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arad
Posts: 19

Bikes: Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Jus7M3 is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 09:27 PM
  #14  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 72 y/o roadie. Nice bike Stop by the 50+ forum and say hello to the other old timers.
Cool - a club I can be proud to join!!
Thanks for the welcome.
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 09:30 PM
  #15  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
Hey neighbor, welcome to BF!

Riding from Issaquah, around Mercer Island, and back is a nice ride. The bridge and Seattle have great views on a clear day.
Sounds great - how much of that route involves dodging traffic? I'm risk averse and new to the sport so plan to avoid main roads for a little while.
I often motorcycle around Mercer Island though - the roads are amazing, but I imagine you get a workout in the hilly portions?
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 10:07 PM
  #16  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bambam900 View Post
Sounds great - how much of that route involves dodging traffic? I'm risk averse and new to the sport so plan to avoid main roads for a little while.
I often motorcycle around Mercer Island though - the roads are amazing, but I imagine you get a workout in the hilly portions?
Issaquah to MI depends upon where you live (there are MUPS for most of it or bike lanes). Doing the circle of MI puts you in the traffic, but they are Very used to it. The MUP does go from near the lake in Issaquah, over MI, across Lake Washington and into Seattle. Amazing on a nice day.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 01:23 AM
  #17  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
Issaquah to MI depends upon where you live (there are MUPS for most of it or bike lanes). Doing the circle of MI puts you in the traffic, but they are Very used to it. The MUP does go from near the lake in Issaquah, over MI, across Lake Washington and into Seattle. Amazing on a nice day.
Thanks - I'm not far from downtown, so I have easy access to East Lake Sammamish Trail, and Pickering Trail (Issaquah Preston Trail). Pickering Trail looks like it will take me over to NW Sammamish Rd which seems like a relatively friendly way west.
Do you know of a resource that will tell me which roads have cycle lanes?
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-17-17, 07:22 AM
  #18  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bambam900 View Post
Thanks - I'm not far from downtown, so I have easy access to East Lake Sammamish Trail, and Pickering Trail (Issaquah Preston Trail). Pickering Trail looks like it will take me over to NW Sammamish Rd which seems like a relatively friendly way west.
Do you know of a resource that will tell me which roads have cycle lanes?
I use google maps to find them, their is a bicycle setting.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 03-18-17, 02:04 AM
  #19  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
I use google maps to find them, their is a bicycle setting.
Oh - I use that too. Duh! It had not occurred to me that the route it picks for cycling would automatically be bike lanes! I feel like a nitwit.
bambam900 is offline  
Old 03-18-17, 10:02 AM
  #20  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bambam900 View Post
Oh - I use that too. Duh! It had not occurred to me that the route it picks for cycling would automatically be bike lanes! I feel like a nitwit.
I do not believe it is 100% bike lane, but that you need to look for the correct color lines. If you try to go North-South through downtown Bellevue you will see the lines appear and disappear, given there is not a connected bike lane through that area.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 03-29-17, 10:59 PM
  #21  
masont
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey. Bloke here.

Thanks for sending your friend in. I'm glad to hear you're happy with your purchase.
masont is offline  
Old 04-03-17, 09:08 AM
  #22  
bambam900
Member
Thread Starter
 
bambam900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 35

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masont View Post
Hey. Bloke here.

Thanks for sending your friend in. I'm glad to hear you're happy with your purchase.
Hey Local Bike Shop bloke! Mason, nice to hear from you.

I'm VERY happy with my purchase - I was headed up Issaquah Preston trail yesterday and shortly after taking the Preston fork the pavement ended and rough gravel took its place. I saw a group on mountain bikes speeding toward me so I rode a little way remembering that my bike is supposed to be able to handle gravel trails. But after half a mile I started to worry about those spindly wheels and tires taking a beating. Are you familiar with that trail? Should my bike be able to handle it on the stock tires?

I gave you a rave review at work but my friend did not need much convincing to go to your shop - he liked the picture I showed him and that was that.
bambam900 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.