Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Miami

Old 03-11-08, 08:30 AM
  #1  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Miami

Hi, everyone!
I'm a cyclist from North Miami Beach (NY transplant) with a 3 month old daughter, who I can't wait to share cycling with!

Since I learned to ride my first Bannanna seat bicycle at 5 years old, cycling has been my passion. Over the years I have participated in many forms of cycling, but the majority of it has been on one gear. Over the years I have owned many BMX bikes, some older road single/fixed conversions, cruisers, lowriders, an english path racer (which I miss very much ), and a few oddities.

I currently enjoy riding BMX in the local public skate parks, Mountain biking in Oleta River State Park, and fixed gear cycling on the local roads (I'd like to give the Velodrome a try soon). As I get older I find myself riding a lot less BMX, more MTB, and even more fixed gear.

I love bicycle technology almost as much as I love cycling itself. I enjoy weighing the benefits of (and sometimes mixing) old technology with new. When I see a broken down bicycle left for dead on the curb, it makes me sad. I have rescued many. I wish I could save them all, although my wife wishes I wouldn't. I can go on for hours about the virtues of a quality steel frame. It baffles me that people discard bicycles that they could have ridden for the rest of their lives, often to replace them with an overpriced piece of extruded aluminum. Sheldon Brown has always been, and still is, a hero to me.

My next project will likely be a single speed or fixed gear cyclocross. I would prefer to start with an older lugged steel touring frame with the proper tire clearance. Perhaps a 1970's Peuguot. After that build, I will likely want a geared road bicyle.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on bike forums. I am exited to expand my knowledge while sharing my own. Most of all I look forward to interacting with other knowledgable, passionate cyclists.

Thanks for listening to my rambling!

-Eric
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 08:32 AM
  #2  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Eric, could I interest you in visiting the Classic & Vintage forum ?

I have 12 bikes, all of them steel .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill

__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 09:19 AM
  #3  
Bad Human
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 49

Bikes: Dawes Haymaker 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I've only been to Miami once but it was gorgeous! Have you ever ridden down the keys?

N.

http://badhuman.wordpress.com
Bad Human is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:25 AM
  #4  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Human View Post
Welcome! I've only been to Miami once but it was gorgeous! Have you ever ridden down the keys?

N.

http://badhuman.wordpress.com
I'm a little scared of the riding on Oversees Highway (the road that connects all of the keys). It's dangerous enough in a car. I suppose I'll someday get a geared road bicycle and make the voyage with a big group. It would be nice. Cruising around Key West on a bicycle is a blast, though!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:26 AM
  #5  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Hi Eric, could I interest you in visiting the Classic & Vintage forum ?

I have 12 bikes, all of them steel .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill

Certainly! On on my way there now!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 11:34 AM
  #6  
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Posts: 21,434

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLACK BIKE View Post
Certainly! On on my way there now!
Great! Always good to recruit new C & Vers .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 12:31 PM
  #7  
s0crates
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forums! Fellow Miami bicyclist myself and let me tell you, you arrived in a good time. We're in the beginnings of a revolution down here. In NYC I'm sure there's not many roads to pave for cycling, but here in Miami wow is there work to be done! Down here we fight for every inch of bike lane we get, and let me tell you, most drivers think it's illegal for bicyclists to be on the road. North Miami is a bit better, but south miami suburbs are a battle zone. We started a critical mass down here, and if you're interested in being part of a revolution, check it out:

http://criticalmass.meetup.com/40

Or you can check out the forum that I started in my signature. Anyways we plan rides at least once a month and it's a blast. Welcome to the city, and get ready to fight for your right to pursue bicycling down here.. Makes things interesting

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that my first bike was a craigslist bought 1979 Peugeot PX-10 51cm. Bad ass bike, not my size though. I've saving it because I don't want to get rid of it,but I'm starting to think I may sell it. It's in good shape, not sure if it's your size, let me know.
s0crates is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 03:31 PM
  #8  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from a norther neighbor in Juno, Eric !!
Im in Juno Beach.

Great first post, cant wait to read more about your experiences
from yE dAzE of 0LdE !!!

Oh yeah, I have an '85 Peugeot 501 in great condition just collecting dust
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 04:01 PM
  #9  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
Hello from a norther neighbor in Juno, Eric !!
Im in Juno Beach.

Great first post, cant wait to read more about your experiences
from yE dAzE of 0LdE !!!

Oh yeah, I have an '85 Peugeot 501 in great condition just collecting dust
Thanks!
Let me know if you ever decide to part with that Peugeut.
By the way everyone, my Avatar isn't a picture of me. It's everyone's favorite actor Robert Loggia!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-11-08, 04:25 PM
  #10  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s0crates View Post
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forums! Fellow Miami bicyclist myself and let me tell you, you arrived in a good time. We're in the beginnings of a revolution down here. In NYC I'm sure there's not many roads to pave for cycling, but here in Miami wow is there work to be done! Down here we fight for every inch of bike lane we get, and let me tell you, most drivers think it's illegal for bicyclists to be on the road. North Miami is a bit better, but south miami suburbs are a battle zone. We started a critical mass down here, and if you're interested in being part of a revolution, check it out:

http://criticalmass.meetup.com/40

Or you can check out the forum that I started in my signature. Anyways we plan rides at least once a month and it's a blast. Welcome to the city, and get ready to fight for your right to pursue bicycling down here.. Makes things interesting

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that my first bike was a craigslist bought 1979 Peugeot PX-10 51cm. Bad ass bike, not my size though. I've saving it because I don't want to get rid of it,but I'm starting to think I may sell it. It's in good shape, not sure if it's your size, let me know.

I agree. South Florida drivers make NY drivers seem courteous. I can't even ride to the store without someone trying to kill me with their Escalade while simultaneously orchestrating mortgage fraud on their cellular phone.

I ride a 55cm, but I'm thinking about building another bike for my wife. I think 51cm is about her size. Anyway, I wouldn't be looking to do that just yet. I'll hit you up in a few months and see if you still have it.

Thanks for the Critical Mass info. Despite the fact that I used to live in a building at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, I've only recently (not until after I moved from NY) heard of Critical Mass. My wife and I have been looking for one in the area for a while now. Thanks again!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 01:35 PM
  #11  
s0crates
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn Lem you've got an old peugeot too? We should try a peugeot exclusively ride down here, lol. Eric, also there's a bike shop that says they specialize in Peugeot but I went there and they said they didn't have any. I guess they specialize on working on them.. Weird. Anyways they are on coral way, ironically across the street from another bike shop called Bike Tech. I forgot the name of the Peugeot shop, but if you go to bike tech on coral way (near downtown) and literally cross the street you'll see that bike shop. Anyways, yeah so I have my bike sitting here, actually wanted to tune it for my girlfriend, but she's actually too small for it, so I decided to sell it. I'm in no rush though, so yeah contact me in the future if you want it, I'll prob still have it.
s0crates is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 01:56 PM
  #12  
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.
Thread Starter
 
BLACK BIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 336

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s0crates View Post
Damn Lem you've got an old peugeot too? We should try a peugeot exclusively ride down here, lol. Eric, also there's a bike shop that says they specialize in Peugeot but I went there and they said they didn't have any. I guess they specialize on working on them.. Weird. Anyways they are on coral way, ironically across the street from another bike shop called Bike Tech. I forgot the name of the Peugeot shop, but if you go to bike tech on coral way (near downtown) and literally cross the street you'll see that bike shop. Anyways, yeah so I have my bike sitting here, actually wanted to tune it for my girlfriend, but she's actually too small for it, so I decided to sell it. I'm in no rush though, so yeah contact me in the future if you want it, I'll prob still have it.
Cool. Thanks again!
BLACK BIKE is offline  
Old 03-12-08, 03:10 PM
  #13  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s0crates View Post
Damn Lem you've got an old peugeot too? We should try a peugeot exclusively ride down here, lol.

Rich....in VT, THE most awesome place to score antique iron, I
had 3 Pugs and one 70's era Motobecane. Obviously, to endure
that kind of torture one needs to really love french stuff
Le Donkey was a mega ugly '82 generic stove piper that I rode for
about 8 months until the snow & sludge wouldnt let me do it any more.
I got real good at truing helicomatic wheels and changing spokes !!!!
It was a great bike. I had a Mixte too.......I got rid of all that stuff to
come here, but saved the 501 cuz its in great shape. Id like to see it go
to a good home 'cuz it is too small for me. Its a 50c and I need at least a 53.
Pgs are great bikes but you need patience because those crazy frenchies
use the weirdest sizes for stuff and pretty randomly too.
Gotta love eccentricity
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.