Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi, from Asturias, in Spain

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi, from Asturias, in Spain

Old 11-05-04, 11:49 AM
  #1  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, from Asturias, in Spain

Hello to all of you, cyclists and funs of cycling:

I'm a twenty four year old boy from Asturias, which is a province in the north of Spain. I live in a eighty million habitants city, whose name is Avilés.

I hope this forum help me to know a bit more of this amazing sport. I practised cycling in competitions since i was fifteen. But not only i'm concerned about the competitions but i'm concerned in cicloturism too. I love all kinds of cycling.

Finally, i would want you to made me some questions about how cyclists and cycling are here in Spain, and it would be very interesting for me to exchange our points of view. I would want to know how and how much do you usually cycle every week, your trainings plan, what is your view about our national cyclists,etc.

Sorry if i don't explain myself very well. I'm learning English yet, this is my five year as a English student.
greetings to you:
Lukilukecyclist
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 11-05-04, 02:45 PM
  #2  
Clayton
displaced AZ Wildcat
 
Clayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Id
Posts: 32

Bikes: Santana, Orbea,Trek & Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum lukilukecyclist.

I look forward to your posts regarding riding in Spain.

I live in the North Western US near the Canadian border. Ever since I purchased my first road bike in 1972 I have been fascinated with Spanish bikes.

The bike I currently commute on is a 1972 British Falcon with Zeus components. Even though it's nearly 33 years old that Reynolds frame and those Zeus parts are still carrying my 110Kg body very well

In addition my wife and I both ride on Orbeas that we purchased from our local bike shop earlier this year. As a result we follow with interest the exploits of the Euskaltel team in Europe and the Jelly Belly team here in the US.

Anything you can tell me about riding in the country side in Spain would be great.

Greetings back at you,
Clayton
Clayton is offline  
Old 11-05-04, 02:59 PM
  #3  
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome.

I don't think we have many members from Spain, and it will be interesting hearing about your stories.

Perhaps you mean 8 million (8,000,000), not eighty million (80,000,000) as the number of inhabitants in Aviles?

I am almost 65 years old, and ride about 4,000 miles (6,700 km) per year. We have a whole bunch of folks over 50 years old who enjoy bicycling! I ride a Lemond Buenos Aires, Windsor Leeds and a Specialized Hardrock!

Good luck.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 11-06-04, 09:10 AM
  #4  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to both of you, Clayton and Dnvrfox, who have replyed my post:

First of all, as Dnvrfox said, Avilés is not a eighty million inhabitants city, but it is a eighty thousand city. Obviously, there is only forty million inhabitants in Spain, so in a simple city there can't be double.

I was quite surprised that Orbeas are spread over the world, such as they are in your home town, Clayton. I ride a Méndiz,which is high quality brand of bikes whose firm is located in the Basque Country, like Orbea is. The rest of components are Campagnolo Record. This is a second hand bike, but it seems as if it were new.

As regards to my cyling life, it's difficult to balance cycling and economics studies. I only have compited in a few races, because i spend a lot of time preparing my exams. Fortunately, i have just finished economics in september and now i am looking for a job.

I found it quite stressing sometimes, doing both activities, but most of times cycling helps me to relax from other daily tasks.

What is a serious problem here in Spain, is the decreasing in the number of cyclists, overall among the young ones. For example, today i rode with another three boys under thirty, but i don't remember such a training during the last six months at least. In fact, there are only eight or ten cyclists under thirty in my city of eighty thousand inhabitants.

I`m looking forward to hearing from you to know a bit more about cycling there, out of Spain. Maybe i am going to write some posts in the next days in some of the opened forums in this web.

Go on pedalling;

Lukilukecyclist
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 11-06-04, 09:58 AM
  #5  
philip99a
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Lukilukecyclist
Welcome to cycling and to the Forum.

I live on the East side of the UK and organized a ride for six a couple of years ago in Northern Spain. We flew to Bilbao, then rode to Burgos, the Picos d'Europa, Santander then back to Bilbao, using the little FEVE railway for the last section back into Bilbao. We stayed in hostels and inexpensive hotels, we took no tents and did no cooking! We had a really great time, particularly in the Picos. Here is a tour report with photos. Please let me know your thoughts

https://www.leicesterspokes.org.uk/newspainpic.htm

Since then we've been riding in Northern Italy and Southern Ireland. Next year, three of us are planning to ride down the West Coast of the US (probably Seattle to San Francisco). But I have often thought of returning to tour in Northern Spain again, we enjoyed it so much. People were very friendly, the countryside was awesome, the wine and food were great, it was very inexpensive (especially away from the coast), car and lorry drivers were verygood and the roads (outside the cities) were pretty empty of traffic. I'd thought of catching the FEVE out of Bilbao then riding the Western side of the Picos, across to Santiago de Compostela and back West to East along the north-western coast. Finishing back on the Feve again. Maybe ten days, maybe two weeks in April or May one year (ie before the Big Heat of Summer). How does it seem?

Also if you are interested in two forums, we have this one in the UK - run very like this one. I recommend it: www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/
philip99a is offline  
Old 11-07-04, 09:00 AM
  #6  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Phillip99a:

I read with a lot of interest every detail you comment about your trips. I ride very often along the north of spain, specially along the places you had been here in Spain. Of course, i know very deeply Picos de Europa, because i live in the province they are located. I love this place because of their white and wild mountains, their forests, valleys and all the nature you can find there.

I also recommend to all of you who are plannig to come here, to visit the south west of Asturias, where you can hardly find tourists and you can see incedible lovely and unforgettable pearls of the nature, such as Muniellos, Somiedo, Monasterio de Hermo,etc.

I would want to travel to the legendary mountains of the Tour and Giro,as they seem very beautifull in TV, not only to pedall across them,but to spend some days in such a wonderful mountains. However, i have just finished my studies, and i don't have the free time and economic resources which are necessary yet.

Finally thank you to told me about another froum, i will stick to the forum you have suggested to me.
I hope i will find enough free time to make a little effort to write in English, certainly it worths it.

Have a nice ridings;

Lukylukecyclist




Originally Posted by philip99a
Hi Lukilukecyclist
Welcome to cycling and to the Forum.

I live on the East side of the UK and organized a ride for six a couple of years ago in Northern Spain. We flew to Bilbao, then rode to Burgos, the Picos d'Europa, Santander then back to Bilbao, using the little FEVE railway for the last section back into Bilbao. We stayed in hostels and inexpensive hotels, we took no tents and did no cooking! We had a really great time, particularly in the Picos. Here is a tour report with photos. Please let me know your thoughts

https://www.leicesterspokes.org.uk/newspainpic.htm

Since then we've been riding in Northern Italy and Southern Ireland. Next year, three of us are planning to ride down the West Coast of the US (probably Seattle to San Francisco). But I have often thought of returning to tour in Northern Spain again, we enjoyed it so much. People were very friendly, the countryside was awesome, the wine and food were great, it was very inexpensive (especially away from the coast), car and lorry drivers were verygood and the roads (outside the cities) were pretty empty of traffic. I'd thought of catching the FEVE out of Bilbao then riding the Western side of the Picos, across to Santiago de Compostela and back West to East along the north-western coast. Finishing back on the Feve again. Maybe ten days, maybe two weeks in April or May one year (ie before the Big Heat of Summer). How does it seem?

Also if you are interested in two forums, we have this one in the UK - run very like this one. I recommend it: www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 11-07-04, 04:44 PM
  #7  
Werebeagle
Junior Member
 
Werebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville, TX, USA
Posts: 8

Bikes: 2004 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The area of Spain that you're from caught my attention. I have a couple of albums from José Ángel Hevia, a bagpiper from Asturias. In the liner notes for the tune "Barganaz" from his album, Tierra de Nadie, he wrote of being a cyclist before he was a piper:

When I was twelve my bagpipe master said to me "It's either the bicycle or the bagpipe." That's how my career in competitive cycling ended. I went on riding as a hobby, but less and less, since going out on a bike from the Maliayo Valley in any direction always means going uphill...
Nice to meet you.
Werebeagle is offline  
Old 11-07-04, 04:58 PM
  #8  
philip99a
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lukylukecyclist
Hello, Phillip99a:
I also recommend to all of you who are plannig to come here, to visit the south west of Asturias, where you can hardly find tourists and you can see incedible lovely and unforgettable pearls of the nature, such as Muniellos, Somiedo, Monasterio de Hermo,etc.
Lukylukecyclist
None of the 3 places you mention appear in the Rough Guide to Spain so they must indeed be tourist-free! I will investigate with great interest.
philip99a is offline  
Old 11-10-04, 07:48 AM
  #9  
JoeLonghair
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London
Posts: 252

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello.
Thanks for the tip for the area of Spain you sugested. I have made a note of this as I intend to tour spain sometime. Did Italy last year and loved it. Planning to do the Swiss Alps next spring/summer then I will check out Spain.
JoeLonghair is offline  
Old 11-10-04, 08:47 AM
  #10  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel very pleased with your interest about Asturias.

I commit myself to explain all the details you want to know about this place if you are thinking of coming here.

I would like again,to emphasize the beauty of the south west of asturias. This saturday i am going to visit the forest of Monasterio del Hermo, which is a colourfull forest in autum which can make you remember what Asturias was some hundred years ago.

Monasterio de Hermo is next of Muniellos. You cand easily find Muniellos forest in the web, because this is the bigger oak well conserved forest in Europe.

Nice to meet you, indeed, foreign cycling partners
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 11-11-04, 07:29 AM
  #11  
JoeLonghair
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London
Posts: 252

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to meet you, indeed, foreign cycling partners' Likewise, Spanish Elite cyclist, ever thought of cycling in the UK. If you do give me a shout, I am in London, can give you all info required etc. I will take you up on the offer of getting info for the area you suggested, nearer the time I intend to come.
JoeLonghair is offline  
Old 01-28-05, 02:40 PM
  #12  
cristineta
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello, I'm a Spanish 26 years old girl. I moved to london 2 years ago, and I started cycling here just last week. I wasn't very much into the cyclism world, I just got very tired of london transport (slow and expensive), so I thought it would be faster and healthier (also cheaper) to ride everywhere. The surprise is that i'm finding it amazing, and just want to know more and more about it. By the way, my partner is from Oviedo and I am from valencia. If you need any help with english, just ask!
cristineta is offline  
Old 01-28-05, 05:01 PM
  #13  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

I'm very interested in cyling Spain to Santiago de Compostela. Any information you have on such a pilgrimage would be great. Have you done that trip at all, or do you have interest in going there? Or have you already been to Santiago?

Koffee
 
Old 01-28-05, 06:37 PM
  #14  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bienvenidos amigo! Any country that has castles and siestas is a good one. I hope you have a digital camera, and can post photos of some of the places you ride to. We would love to tour Spain one day on our tandem.
Brian is offline  
Old 01-28-05, 06:48 PM
  #15  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lukylukecyclist
First of all, as Dnvrfox said, Avilés is not a eighty million inhabitants city, but it is a eighty thousand city. Obviously, there is only forty million inhabitants in Spain, so in a simple city there can't be double.

Lukilukecyclist
Blame English for that small error. The Spanish word for thousand is "Mil". Ochenta mil would be very easy to translate into English incorrectly, as our language is confusing. Necesito a practicar espanol.
Brian is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 10:16 AM
  #16  
megilleland
megilleland
 
megilleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hereford, UK
Posts: 23

Bikes: Ridgeback Velocity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Qué tal

Good to have an Asturian on the forum. Very friendly people.

Passed through the town in 2000 during my circular tour of Spain covering 12000km. Brings back memories of being apprehended by the local police for cycling along the promenade at Gijon - one of three instances during the tour. Also the ride up Covadonga - what a pull!!

Great beaches and fishing ports along the Costa Verde and with the opening of the new motorway, the old coast road should be quieter. Very popular area, from June to September, for Madrid holiday makers escaping the heat of the interior.

Hoping to return for a second cycle tour soon with a plan to find somewhere to retire - just fed up with Tony Blair's Britain - always going to get better, but never does.

Regarding the lack of interest in cycling among the young, the same can be said of England. You are considered 'loco' riding a bicycle, but it is the quickest way of getting around our congested towns and cities.

Mire adelante a sus postes.
megilleland is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 11:16 AM
  #17  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cristineta
hello, I'm a Spanish 26 years old girl. I moved to london 2 years ago, and I started cycling here just last week. I wasn't very much into the cyclism world, I just got very tired of london transport (slow and expensive), so I thought it would be faster and healthier (also cheaper) to ride everywhere. The surprise is that i'm finding it amazing, and just want to know more and more about it. By the way, my partner is from Oviedo and I am from valencia. If you need any help with english, just ask!
Thank you Cristineta for your offer of helping me in the language of Shakespeare.
I have studied Economía in Oviedo, so I perhaps could met your partner during those last years....Who knows? ;-)
"SAludos desde Asturias"
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 11:36 AM
  #18  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

I'm very interested in cyling Spain to Santiago de Compostela. Any information you have on such a pilgrimage would be great. Have you done that trip at all, or do you have interest in going there? Or have you already been to Santiago?

Koffee
I have been in Santiago many times, but It was as a simple tourist, without my bike. However, I would like to do the trip with my bike, from Asturias, that is where I live.
Although trip to Santiago is an interesting trip indeed, I suggest you other places much more amazing than the trip to Santiago. It's not the fact that i'm from Asturias that i recommend you to go to here, but for the lovely landscapes and the special variety of nature of places such as Picos de Europa, Reserva Natural de Reres, Bosque de Muniellos, Monasterio de Hermo, etc.
If you want to, I could try to give you some directions of webs which shows how this places are.

Greetings from ASturias, I feel very pleased that you seems really interested in cycling in Spain.
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 11:42 AM
  #19  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Bienvenidos amigo! Any country that has castles and siestas is a good one. I hope you have a digital camera, and can post photos of some of the places you ride to. We would love to tour Spain one day on our tandem.
I wish I had a digital camera, but I can afford for such a thing, because I have just finished my university studies and I spend all(almost) my money in my bike. I hope I will soon get a job, but until that........
jajajaja,very good point "siestas and castles",
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 11:58 AM
  #20  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megilleland
Qué tal

Good to have an Asturian on the forum. Very friendly people.

Passed through the town in 2000 during my circular tour of Spain covering 12000km. Brings back memories of being apprehended by the local police for cycling along the promenade at Gijon - one of three instances during the tour. Also the ride up Covadonga - what a pull!!

Great beaches and fishing ports along the Costa Verde and with the opening of the new motorway, the old coast road should be quieter. Very popular area, from June to September, for Madrid holiday makers escaping the heat of the interior.

Hoping to return for a second cycle tour soon with a plan to find somewhere to retire - just fed up with Tony Blair's Britain - always going to get better, but never does.

Regarding the lack of interest in cycling among the young, the same can be said of England. You are considered 'loco' riding a bicycle, but it is the quickest way of getting around our congested towns and cities.

Mire adelante a sus postes.
Wow!!!!! It sounds as a really great tour the one you done around Spain. I didn't understand you when you said "retire".What did you meant with that? Are you planning to stay in Spain for a long time,years maybe?
Finally, I wouldn't let myself to finish without inviting you to a friendly talk and a coffee the next time you are coming here.
Good luck in your life as an odd kind of people(for the "normal people") which are all of us cyclists.
lukylukecyclist is offline  
Old 01-30-05, 06:02 PM
  #21  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,709

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,564 Times in 791 Posts
!Saludos desde Alta California!

I'm looking forward to reading your posts, Lukylukecyclist. In the summer of '97, my wife and I spent a week in Galicia, your neighbor to the west. It made such a great impression on us that we named our daughter Cedeira for the town in which we stayed. We hope to return someday and when we do we will surely like to visit Asturias as well.

And like Koffee, when I return to Espana, I will bring my bike. (Just so I can have my family follow me in a car and yell "!Venga! !Venga! !Venga!")
caloso is offline  
Old 01-31-05, 01:04 PM
  #22  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi
I'm planning a tour of the Picos de Europas some time in May, flying to Santander from the UK.
Id really love to get some local information on good routes and the best time to go. What kind of temp/rainfall/fog can I expect?
I will be using a touring bike with MTB gearing, so I can get over any unpaved trail as well as steep roads and I love riding big mountain passes.
I am also looking for good places to stay, perhaps small towns and villages as well as more remote places. Are there any hostel-type accomodation that is good and cheap?
What is the best map to use in this area?
Any information you can provide will be really helpful
MichaelW is offline  
Old 02-06-05, 07:36 AM
  #23  
lukylukecyclist
Spanish Elite cyclist
Thread Starter
 
lukylukecyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avilés, province of Asturias, Spain
Posts: 17

Bikes: Méndiz Status, Record, wheels Campagnolo Nucleon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Hi
I'm planning a tour of the Picos de Europas some time in May, flying to Santander from the UK.
Id really love to get some local information on good routes and the best time to go. What kind of temp/rainfall/fog can I expect?
I will be using a touring bike with MTB gearing, so I can get over any unpaved trail as well as steep roads and I love riding big mountain passes.
I am also looking for good places to stay, perhaps small towns and villages as well as more remote places. Are there any hostel-type accomodation that is good and cheap?
What is the best map to use in this area?
Any information you can provide will be really helpful
In may is likely to be raining many days, but most of times it will be light rain and you can avoid this showers perfectly by using a raincoat. Although it is a very unstable weather, it contributes to make Picos de Europa such a lovely place, with a unique ecosystem and a incredible wealth of nature.
Regarding to places to stay, there are many and all of them are very good, even those which has only one star. For example, the differences between hotels with one star and hotels with more stars, may bwe in having or not T.V and other technologycal things, but either of them are comfortable and clean.
Finally, talking about the routes you can plan, I recommend you to ride some big mountain passes, where you can admire as you gain hight, the landscape and all the valleys and mountains that make Picos De Europa have that justified fame. There are several mountain passes in the place, and you can ride them almost all of them if are going to stay a week or more. In tourism offices(there are one of this offices in each medium size town) you can ask free a map of the area where you will see clearly all the roads which could be of your interest.

If You need to know more about this issue, I will be pleased to answer you again.
Greetings from Avilés
Lukylukecyclist
lukylukecyclist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.