Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike in Kansas City.

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hybrid bike in Kansas City.

Old 12-13-04, 05:26 PM
  #1  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hybrid bike in Kansas City.

I feel like a freak on this web site,every body rides these exspensive road bikes, I havn't seen any hybrid bike riders on these threads. I ride to work and on urban bike trails, and around the neighborhood.
 
Old 12-13-04, 09:21 PM
  #2  
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Siberia
Posts: 564

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
I feel like a freak on this web site,every body rides these exspensive road bikes.
There are many forumites who commute by bike on normal el cheepo bikes. I'm not one, however. I commute on a Trek 520,most of the time, but I'm thinking that I'll switch to a single speed for the snowy, salty, winter, here in the frozen north.
iceratt is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 11:58 AM
  #3  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would hardly describe my Fuji Cambridge 21 speed as an "el cheapo",but compared to the high end road bikes,its in a different class. Its a good quality bike, and it works for me. I wonder about riding a single speed,Iceratt, don't you get worn out riding those things?
 
Old 12-15-04, 12:10 PM
  #4  
slotibartfast
Duct tape won't fix that
 
slotibartfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Covington, Washington
Posts: 440

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a hybrid - Gary Fisher Utopia - and a road bike - Bianchi Veloce. I ride them both depending on the circumstances. If the weather is crappy or if I'm riding with friends that also have hybrids, I'm on the Utopia. I can go a lot more places on the Utopia like dirt roads, easy trails, and the Trail of the Hiawatha's. Don't feel intimidated or like less of a cyclist because you don't ride a road bike. The important thing is to be out there riding and enjoying yourself. If it's not fun, you won't do it.
slotibartfast is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 01:24 PM
  #5  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
slotibartfast-muchas gracias. Don't worry, I'm not intimitated by the road bikers. I only am expresssing what I have noticed, since I am new to this web site:a derision against hybrid, almost every body talks about rode bikes.
 
Old 12-15-04, 02:26 PM
  #6  
hotwheels
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 294

Bikes: Trek7300, GT Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hybrid, I think? it's a Trek Multitrack 7300, I love it. My other bike is a GT Palomar Mountain Bike, my favorite. I get to borrow a trek road bike here and there.
hotwheels is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 03:00 PM
  #7  
Crown Royal
Bike to die
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 11

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Giant 870 mb, Trek 7500, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 900 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 7500 as one of my bikes. I got it in 2001 and have ridden it about 8000 miles. For my money, as long as you're riding something you're OK in my book. I don't get intimidated by anybody - road bikes, single speeders, fixies, unicycles. Just ride and enjoy.
Crown Royal is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 03:11 PM
  #8  
Applehead57
slower than you
 
Applehead57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: dairy country NY
Posts: 652

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you're racing and need cover lotsa miles quickly, having a comfortable bike is your priority.
Never worry about your "cool" factor.
There will always be somebody faster and somebody who spent more than you.
Just keep riding, your body is growing stronger every time you go out.
Applehead57 is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 03:17 PM
  #9  
scottogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,398

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
I feel like a freak on this web site,every body rides these exspensive road bikes, I havn't seen any hybrid bike riders on these threads. I ride to work and on urban bike trails, and around the neighborhood.
Hey Chicharron!
I feel like a freak most of the time, and I'm not even riding. I enjoy your posts, man.
scottogo is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 03:18 PM
  #10  
JoeTown244GL
Senior Member
 
JoeTown244GL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come up to St. Joe and try out our parkway. You'd fit in just fine.
JoeTown244GL is offline  
Old 12-15-04, 03:52 PM
  #11  
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,521

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a Peugeot hybrid and like it. I would rather have an Airborne Carpe Diem, and if I did have one, I am sure I would brag about it, like all those with fancy bikes.
AndrewP is offline  
Old 12-16-04, 01:40 AM
  #12  
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Siberia
Posts: 564

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
I wonder about riding a single speed,Iceratt, don't you get worn out riding those things?
I don't think that I'd consider a single speed if I didn't need to replace the drive train of my 21 speed every spring. Single speeds can take a lot of punishment, and if they need replacing, will cost much less than multiple cogs. I still haven't gotten one, but I'm likely, before the first of the year.

As far as getting worn out, I only have a 6.5 mile ride to work. Maybe it'll take 35 mins to get to work, instead of 25. I always race, because I'm late. Nothing will alter my going all out.
iceratt is offline  
Old 12-16-04, 11:52 AM
  #13  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by scottogo
Hey Chicharron!
I feel like a freak most of the time, and I'm not even riding. I enjoy your posts, man.
Scottogo, I never could follow the crowd and be like everyone else. BTW, you do ride a bicycle, don't you?
 
Old 12-16-04, 11:53 AM
  #14  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JoeTown244GL
Come up to St. Joe and try out our parkway. You'd fit in just fine.
JoeTown, are you in St.Joe,Missouri? Home town of Emminem? (spelling?)
 
Old 12-16-04, 11:56 AM
  #15  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by iceratt
I don't think that I'd consider a single speed if I didn't need to replace the drive train of my 21 speed every spring. Single speeds can take a lot of punishment, and if they need replacing, will cost much less than multiple cogs. I still haven't gotten one, but I'm likely, before the first of the year.

As far as getting worn out, I only have a 6.5 mile ride to work. Maybe it'll take 35 mins to get to work, instead of 25. I always race, because I'm late. Nothing will alter my going all out.
iceratt, you must be a hard rider(whew)to be replacing drive trains like that. Six miles to work every day is pretty good. I only ride about about a mile to work.
 
Old 12-17-04, 02:36 PM
  #16  
scottogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,398

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
Scottogo, I never could follow the crowd and be like everyone else. BTW, you do ride a bicycle, don't you?
Hello Chicharron!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Yes, I know how to ride. I have had a bicycle sitting in my garage for a year but it's uncomfortable so I don't ride it. Before that haven't ridden for about 20 years. Looking for a new bike now because I'm fat and ugly and I figure riding will take care of both those problems. I looked in the mirror yesterday and noticed my face was changing... you know it's starting to look like the generic "older" person so I plan to get a bike to ride this weekend.
Weeeelll...I might take a train ...I might take a plane... but even if I bike... I'll get there just the same.
scottogo is offline  
Old 12-17-04, 03:15 PM
  #17  
kurremkarm
I bet
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat and ugly on a bike > fat and ugly in a car. At least the guy on the bike can lose weight and get plastic surgery, cars just suck.

I'm in wichita with 4 bikes, the one i usually ride is a SS cruiser that weighs about 40 pounds.

Ride on sir!
kurremkarm is offline  
Old 12-18-04, 01:02 AM
  #18  
scottogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,398

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No plastic surgery for me! I'm going to get urethane surgery. Cheaper and it has air in it!
scottogo is offline  
Old 12-18-04, 08:06 AM
  #19  
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chicharron
I feel like a freak on this web site,every body rides these exspensive road bikes, I havn't seen any hybrid bike riders on these threads. I ride to work and on urban bike trails, and around the neighborhood.
Lots of us have both a road bike and some sort of a mountain bike to ride. This time of year, I generally ride my mtn bike (with slicks) which is somewhat similar to a hybrid, only slower.

I bought my mtn bike in 1998 for $300 (when I was 58yo), and have ridden it over 9,000 miles since, including using it for a week long supported ride in the Colorado Mountains called "Ride the Rockies." So it was not expensive.

A year later, I bought my Lemond Buenos Aires because I wanted a different riding experience and for another "Ride the Rockies." I also have about 9,000 miles on that. That cost about $1,600.00

Then I bought a new road bike from EBay for $290.00, on which I have about 1,000 miles, and it rides just great. I used it for my trainer and to throw in the back of my hatch back for after work rides. (I had a great trail just 1 mile from my school, and could get a good ride in before it got dark, as my commute was 35 miles by car). Since retired and using the $290 as a trainer.

So, my point, after this wind up, is that you will find all sorts of bikes and costs for those bikes on these forums.

A hybrid is a good compromise for many folks, and has features of both a road bike and a mtn bike, but is neither. It does great for many folk's uses. Check out the "Recreational Forum" for more on hybrids.

Any bike that gets you out riding is a good bike. Just prior to buying my mtn bike I was riding a $15.00 ten speed that I got at a garage sale. It was a great bike also, because it got me riding again.

On this forum, you will find

Fixies
Single Speeds
Hybrids
Cross
Road
Triathlon
Mtn
Collectibles
Vintage
Touring
Recumbent
Tricycle
BMX
Comfort
Folding
Tandems
etc.

Whatever works for you! It is not unusual for folks to start out on a mtn bike or a hybrid, and after a year or so, to want a different riding experience (I got tired of being passed!).

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-18-04 at 08:21 AM.
DnvrFox is offline  
Old 12-19-04, 02:33 PM
  #20  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Lots of us have both a road bike and some sort of a mountain bike to ride. This time of year, I generally ride my mtn bike (with slicks) which is somewhat similar to a hybrid, only slower.

I bought my mtn bike in 1998 for $300 (when I was 58yo), and have ridden it over 9,000 miles since, including using it for a week long supported ride in the Colorado Mountains called "Ride the Rockies." So it was not expensive.

A year later, I bought my Lemond Buenos Aires because I wanted a different riding experience and for another "Ride the Rockies." I also have about 9,000 miles on that. That cost about $1,600.00

Then I bought a new road bike from EBay for $290.00, on which I have about 1,000 miles, and it rides just great. I used it for my trainer and to throw in the back of my hatch back for after work rides. (I had a great trail just 1 mile from my school, and could get a good ride in before it got dark, as my commute was 35 miles by car). Since retired and using the $290 as a trainer.

So, my point, after this wind up, is that you will find all sorts of bikes and costs for those bikes on these forums.

A hybrid is a good compromise for many folks, and has features of both a road bike and a mtn bike, but is neither. It does great for many folk's uses. Check out the "Recreational Forum" for more on hybrids.

Any bike that gets you out riding is a good bike. Just prior to buying my mtn bike I was riding a $15.00 ten speed that I got at a garage sale. It was a great bike also, because it got me riding again.

On this forum, you will find

Fixies
Single Speeds
Hybrids
Cross
Road
Triathlon
Mtn
Collectibles
Vintage
Touring
Recumbent
Tricycle
BMX
Comfort
Folding
Tandems
etc.

Whatever works for you! It is not unusual for folks to start out on a mtn bike or a hybrid, and after a year or so, to want a different riding experience (I got tired of being passed!).
DnvrFox,hmmm.Now I remember,your the poster who made the comment about hybrid bikes being like Buiks and were for "older people". I sounds like you're older than me, by at least a decade. My point in this thread was the attitude by "some" road bike riders, who try to impress with how much they spend on their 1400 titanium frame custom built road bikes, and look down their nose at the rest of us.
 
Old 12-27-04, 08:14 PM
  #21  
FRED CASTRO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: JUPITER, FL
Posts: 16

Bikes: JAMIS EXPLORER HYBRID,RALEIGH CADENT, RALEIGH ROAD, DIAMONDBACK SORRENTO (MTN)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Have Owned Peugeots All My Life And Never Heard Of A Pugeot Hybrid. Please Tell Me More About It. I Own A Mid 80's Peugeot Road 12 Vitesse' For Which I Need A Rear Derailleur (simplex 610) Any Ideas? Thanks Fred C- South Florida
FRED CASTRO is offline  
Old 12-27-04, 08:19 PM
  #22  
tulip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Out there, on my bike
Posts: 5,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ride your bike!
tulip is offline  
Old 12-27-04, 11:07 PM
  #23  
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?
 
Prosody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Posts: 930

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7200 hybrid, Fuji Roubaix road bike. Ride them both. It's always interesting to get on one bike after a long time of exclusively riding the other. They have significantly different qualities, and they are both fun to ride.
__________________
You're east of East St. Louis
And the wind is making speeches.
Prosody is offline  
Old 12-28-04, 05:24 PM
  #24  
chicharron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Prosody
Trek 7200 hybrid, Fuji Roubaix road bike. Ride them both. It's always interesting to get on one bike after a long time of exclusively riding the other. They have significantly different qualities, and they are both fun to ride.
ditto, I know what you mean
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.