Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cold weather sympathy from fellow shopper

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Cold weather sympathy from fellow shopper

Old 01-26-17, 12:09 AM
  #1  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Cold weather sympathy from fellow shopper

I was putting my groceries in my bike bags outside an aldi today. It was in the 30s with significant wind. While I was arrainging egg cartons an old lady offered me her gloves. I explained that I had gloves and would put them on shortly. Its amazing how some folks can't imagine riding in the cold to the store. She was as sweet as could be but I think she thought I was living a marginal exsistance.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 01:41 AM
  #2  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was sweet of her. I always try to carry a pair of gloves with me in case I run across anybody who needs them. It's a self-perpetuating thing, because friends often give me their old gloves so I can pass them on to somebody who needs them.

It is kinda funny that some people who see you riding or walking in cold weather assume that it's because you "have to", not because you want to!
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 10:24 AM
  #3  
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day
 
lasauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got a fun reaction last night, it was about 20 and there was half an inch of fresh snow covering everything when I left work - as I was standing next to my bike, unlocking it and prepping for the short ride home, a guy walks out of the door of the building I work in and stopped in his tracks. He stared at me entranced, in the same way I would expect a 5 year old child to stare if I had been loading a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer. After a few seconds, "you ride... a bike?!?" Me: "yes."
__________________
Reach me faster by email.
lasauge is online now  
Old 01-27-17, 04:28 PM
  #4  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge View Post
I got a fun reaction last night, it was about 20 and there was half an inch of fresh snow covering everything when I left work - as I was standing next to my bike, unlocking it and prepping for the short ride home, a guy walks out of the door of the building I work in and stopped in his tracks. He stared at me entranced, in the same way I would expect a 5 year old child to stare if I had been loading a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer. After a few seconds, "you ride... a bike?!?" Me: "yes."
I love doing something other folks think is herculean. If they only knew I feel like I am getting away with something every time I ride.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 04:31 PM
  #5  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
That was sweet of her. I always try to carry a pair of gloves with me in case I run across anybody who needs them. It's a self-perpetuating thing, because friends often give me their old gloves so I can pass them on to somebody who needs them.

It is kinda funny that some people who see you riding or walking in cold weather assume that it's because you "have to", not because you want to!
Its wonderful what you do with the gloves. I'm an atheist but if I make it to heaven I'll save you a spot.

Boy that doesn't sound right at all.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 08:44 PM
  #6  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post

It is kinda funny that some people who see you riding or walking in cold weather assume that it's because you "have to", not because you want to!
If I'm doing anything outside when it's in the 30s, it's because I absolutely have to.

Of course, I live in a place where that rarely happens.
jon c. is offline  
Old 01-29-17, 01:39 AM
  #7  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
I love doing something other folks think is herculean. If they only knew I feel like I am getting away with something every time I ride.
I just think how much easier it is to ride a bike four or five miles than it is to scrape ice off the car windows.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-29-17, 08:17 AM
  #8  
jack pot
Fxxxxr
 
jack pot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: falfurrias texas
Posts: 220

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no matter how hard one tries to it's hard not to feel a certain "smugness" in riding the uncomfortable days
jack pot is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 09:31 AM
  #9  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
no matter how hard one tries to it's hard not to feel a certain "smugness" in riding the uncomfortable days
Sounds like we could be in a south park episode. It is fun riding in bad weather.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 10:49 AM
  #10  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,731

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M80, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1948 P. Barnard & Son

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's people like her that re-affirm my faith in mankind. It's a special experience when someone you never met before has your back.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 04:06 PM
  #11  
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,607

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
when i was riding home one summer in 118F a driver pulled up next to me and the passenger offered me an icy cold unopened sports drink. unfortunately i had to decline with generous 'thank yous' as i had no where to quickly put it.
noisebeam is offline  
Old 02-02-17, 01:40 AM
  #12  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
when i was riding home one summer in 118F a driver pulled up next to me and the passenger offered me an icy cold unopened sports drink. unfortunately i had to decline with generous 'thank yous' as i had no where to quickly put it.
At 118 degrees, I would have quickly put it down my shorts!

The kindest thing a driver did for me was during a horrible thunderstorm. He pulled alongside me and offered me a ride. Unfortunately, I thought he was trying to run me off the road and I just yelled AARGGGHHH!!!! As he pulled off I finally figured out what he was doing. He was willing to stop in that storm and let me drench his passenger seat. That was extremely kind. I noticed he had a pizza delivery sign on his truck roof. The next day I stopped by the pizza place and told the manager how nice he was and how ungracious I was. The manager said he would tell the guy next time he worked. I hope he did.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-02-17 at 01:45 AM.
Roody is offline  
Old 02-02-17, 02:42 AM
  #13  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
At 118 degrees, I would have quickly put it down my shorts!

The kindest thing a driver did for me was during a horrible thunderstorm. He pulled alongside me and offered me a ride. Unfortunately, I thought he was trying to run me off the road and I just yelled AARGGGHHH!!!! As he pulled off I finally figured out what he was doing. He was willing to stop in that storm and let me drench his passenger seat. That was extremely kind. I noticed he had a pizza delivery sign on his truck roof. The next day I stopped by the pizza place and told the manager how nice he was and how ungracious I was. The manager said he would tell the guy next time he worked. I hope he did.
Roody you are a great guy.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 02-03-17, 01:18 AM
  #14  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
Roody you are a great guy.
I could tell you a story that would make you think otherwise, again about a motorist who was just trying to be nice.

During rush hour, I was making a left turn from a 2-way onto another 2-way. I was making a legal "VC" left turn. A car pulled alongside me right in the middle of the intersection, which is rather disconcerting to a cyclist. The driver was also yelling and gesturing, but I couldn't tell what he was trying to communicate. Assuming that he was trying to give me a hard time about riding in the street, I made a more unambiguous gesture with one finger of one hand. The next day at work, a co-worker told me that he saw me riding and he waved at me, but I just gave him the finger. Worse yet, he had his little son with him and he had to explain what my gesture was all about. I apologized profusely but he just laughed and said he figured it was something like that.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 02-03-17, 05:14 PM
  #15  
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Posts: 3,816

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
The next day at work, a co-worker told me that he saw me riding and he waved at me, but I just gave him the finger. Worse yet, he had his little son with him and he had to explain what my gesture was all about. I apologized profusely but he just laughed and said he figured it was something like that.
The kid obviously needed an education.

In recent years my policy with everybody is the same. Wave enthusiastically. If they know you, you've acknowledged them. If they're angry and yelling and you know it then embrace the freak idiot in you and wave harder and smile.

To get angry is to follow the program they laid out for you with their aggression. Continuing to enjoy your ride gives them no satisfaction.
Walter S is offline  
Old 02-05-17, 06:04 AM
  #16  
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE
 
John_1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WAUKESHA WIS
Posts: 97

Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love those types of looks and or the comments that you get from pepole that do drive here and there lol I just lagh

Last edited by John_1961; 02-05-17 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling mistake OYYY
John_1961 is offline  
Old 02-05-17, 09:57 AM
  #17  
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,558

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I love the people who, when seeing you on your bike, in the cold, or riding in the snow, ask how you do it, and aren't you cold. Then they get into the SUV that gets 6 mpg and drive four hours to go skiing in the same or colder weather. Then they need to buy lift tickets, and some will pay to rent equipment.
A few ski trips cost more than my ten or fifteen year old snow bikes. I get a few years out of one set of studded tires.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 02-05-17, 10:01 AM
  #18  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 15,126

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3613 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 60 Posts
I get the same reaction from people from time to time when I ride home at night in cold weather. My favorite though was when I ran into a fellow bike commuter and he said that he liked the cold weather because it kept the riff raff down since there were fewer bike commuters out there.
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-06-17, 01:32 AM
  #19  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
The kid obviously needed an education.

In recent years my policy with everybody is the same. Wave enthusiastically. If they know you, you've acknowledged them. If they're angry and yelling and you know it then embrace the freak idiot in you and wave harder and smile.

To get angry is to follow the program they laid out for you with their aggression. Continuing to enjoy your ride gives them no satisfaction.
But sometimes it's enjoyable to get angry! The trick I'm trying to develop is to get angry without intimidating or shutting down the person I'm angry at. Sometimes I can pull this off.

Once a carful of teenagers passed me on a side street, then stopped short right in front of me. I was mad, and I told them I was mad and explained why. They were mad at me because they had to go around me on a narrow street. Somehow we managed to engage in a conversation about the frustrations of sharing the road with others who have different needs than you do. We had a pretty productive conversation there in the middle of the street, with me standing with my bike and them rolling down the windows of their car. Eventually a couple cars being blocked started honking at us to get out of the way. We all laughed about that and went on our way. Nothing was solved or accomplished, but at least we could all feel good about expressing our anger in a non-destructive manner.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 02-10-17, 09:04 PM
  #20  
pBFa1
Junior Member
 
pBFa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 22

Bikes: noname grey road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, sorry to had that awkward experience.
I live in the very wintery Winnipeg, Canada, and when people say "you cycled today? it's cold! you're crazy," -- i usually say "aren't we all? we gotta be to staying living here in Winnipeg in this weather."
pBFa1 is offline  
Old 02-12-17, 12:32 AM
  #21  
mr geeker
Day trip lover
 
mr geeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: capital city of iowa
Posts: 815

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
...My favorite though was when I ran into a fellow bike commuter and he said that he liked the cold weather because it kept the riff raff down since there were fewer bike commuters out there.
mr geeker is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
thgravitysoul
Mountain Biking
1
07-14-11 10:11 AM
Hipcycler
Road Cycling
25
12-27-06 06:28 PM
biodiesel
Road Cycling
0
07-15-05 04:32 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.