Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Dealing with Medical Situations

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Dealing with Medical Situations

Old 02-01-19, 11:56 PM
  #1  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Dealing with Medical Situations

Dealing with Medical Situations ... after the emergency has passed.


A couple years ago I started the thread 'Dealing with Emergency Situations', which got some good responses.

Dealing With Emergency Situations


Now I'll ask the question, how do you deal with medical situations? Situations where you can't ride your bicycle or walk ... and can't drive.

What services do you have in your area to help you?

Obviously if it is really bad, you'll call an ambulance. But suppose you need to get to important medical appointments or carry on every-day life while not being able to get out and about.

Last edited by Machka; 02-02-19 at 07:16 PM.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 08:08 AM
  #2  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,575
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
A couple years ago I started the thread 'Dealing with Emergency Situations', which got some good responses.

Dealing With Emergency Situations


Now I'll ask the question, how do you deal with medical situations? Situations where you can't ride your bicycle or walk ... and can't drive.

What services do you have in your area to help you?

Obviously if it is really bad, you'll call an ambulance. But suppose you need to get to important medical appointments or carry on every-day life while not being able to get out and about.
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
...Just because we opt to live car free doesn't mean we're in the wilderness. Most (or close to all) of us live in civilized areas with Police, fire and medical a phone call away.

That doesn't mean we can't fend for ourselves in many situations, and can't, for example, ride the bike to a doctor, hospital or urgent care clinic. ...
So too, Boston is a medical mecca, and major teaching hospitals are within about two miles, and we have a car parked nearby. For a personal crisis, one is always advised, don't drive yourself. Ambulances, taxis, and Uber are always available, and subway lines bring you to a short walk of a Hospital or doctor's office, at least where we live.

When my wife was starting labor, she even insisted on walking to the Hospital. .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities.
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 08:43 AM
  #3  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
What about when you can't walk? Or cycle or drive?

How do you go about your daily life? How do you get to your follow up medical appointments?

Like let's say you broke a hip or leg or badly burned a foot or something.

What resources does your area provide for those sorts of circumstances?
Machka is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 10:32 AM
  #4  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,575
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
What about when you can't walk? Or cycle or drive?

How do you go about your daily life? How do you get to your follow up medical appointments?

Like let's say you broke a hip or leg or badly burned a foot or something.

What resources does your area provide for those sorts of circumstances?
Stretchers probably, though when I was transported from the local hospital, to a major medical center after my cycling accident it was on a stretcher, by helicopter.
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 01:01 PM
  #5  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,954

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
From my perspective medical situations take priority over LCF. As an example even homeless people in our area are car/truck/van intensive.

At at a local park the other day a homeless person collapsed. First a fire truck showed. About 30 feet long with 4 men on the truck. A ambulance showed up with two more men and took the person to, get this, not the closest hospital but one in the next town over. They had to get to one with bed space.

One of my friends got hurt at a bike race last year and they picked him up in a helicopter. He ended up in a hospital 30 miles away. All his friends drove their cars to see him maybe once or twice in the month he was there. They sent him home using a service called Care-A-Van.

Yes technically people can call themselves car free but unless you are part of a remote tribe living in a third world country cars will be part of your life. You donít have to own one but that doesnít mean you will not be using one.

Mobile 155 is online now  
Old 02-02-19, 01:59 PM
  #6  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,312

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So my car was sold Thursday (yay, car free) but I was just thinking about what to do if I needed to get my dog to the emergency vet. I can call an ambulance for myself, and there is an pet ambulance in S.F but I live in the East Bay and they don't offer service there. What to do if I need to get to the vet asap? Can't imagine Uber or a taxi letting me put an injured dog in their cars. This is kinda freaking me out now...not completely off topic as it IS a medical emergency.
linberl is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 02:09 PM
  #7  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,740
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The interesting thing is that Machka has sustained all the stuff she listed. Even now, I can relate to some of the stuff that has been chosen to discuss.

The interesting for us has not just been our health affairs, but a neighbor of ours has a young girl is disabled. It has been interesting during my stays at home to see what has happened with handling her mobility issues. Living car-free is great on principle, until something occurs that prevents it being a fatal option.

Even when we have been present in quite car-free areas of cities in Europe, there are several occurrences I can recall where it has to be overlooked to access emergency services in particular.
Rowan is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 02:19 PM
  #8  
daoswald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT (Formerly Los Angeles, CA)
Posts: 979

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
So my car was sold Thursday (yay, car free) but I was just thinking about what to do if I needed to get my dog to the emergency vet. I can call an ambulance for myself, and there is an pet ambulance in S.F but I live in the East Bay and they don't offer service there. What to do if I need to get to the vet asap? Can't imagine Uber or a taxi letting me put an injured dog in their cars. This is kinda freaking me out now...not completely off topic as it IS a medical emergency.
I imagine Uber XL would be fine with a kennel crate. It's not much different from luggage. I think if a pet emergency were to come up, having one of those would be a good idea.

Or a toddler trailer for bikes. The ones built for two kids ought to be able to hold one big dog. I have a Burley and I'm sure it would have accommodated my late Golden Retriever..
daoswald is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 03:05 PM
  #9  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,138
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8217 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
So far, I haven't had that situation.

I still have my car, so with a bit of a hassle, I could update the state registration, and get new insurance (both of which are lapsed).

I did get pretty sick about 2 years ago, and Mom insisted on taking me to a doctor's office, then took me to her place, and didn't really let me leave until I was able to ride away.

I've slipped/fallen on the bike a couple of times, and just rode through the injuries. Perhaps taking a couple of days off from riding, but have had a few sore rides.

We have a local ambulance insurance policy:
FireMed Oregon
https://eugspfd.firemed.org/

I'm not sure if they let you use the helicopter service as a local taxi service.

TAXI?
Neighbors?
Local Church?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 05:57 PM
  #10  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,312

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald View Post
I imagine Uber XL would be fine with a kennel crate. It's not much different from luggage. I think if a pet emergency were to come up, having one of those would be a good idea.

Or a toddler trailer for bikes. The ones built for two kids ought to be able to hold one big dog. I have a Burley and I'm sure it would have accommodated my late Golden Retriever..
I'm thinking more like a real emergency, like if my pet got hit by a car and was bleeding, etc. Can't imagine hooking up a trailer (I have one) or getting an Uber. Not sure what I would do.
linberl is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 07:17 PM
  #11  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Stretchers probably, though when I was transported from the local hospital, to a major medical center after my cycling accident it was on a stretcher, by helicopter.
You're going to use a stretcher to go to work, do your shopping, and take care of errands?
Machka is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 07:19 PM
  #12  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
So my car was sold Thursday (yay, car free) but I was just thinking about what to do if I needed to get my dog to the emergency vet. I can call an ambulance for myself, and there is an pet ambulance in S.F but I live in the East Bay and they don't offer service there. What to do if I need to get to the vet asap? Can't imagine Uber or a taxi letting me put an injured dog in their cars. This is kinda freaking me out now...not completely off topic as it IS a medical emergency.
A few months after I went car free in Winnipeg, one of my cats was diagnosed with Diabetes and needed several vet appointments in a row to get things regulated.

Fortunately there was a pet taxi service available!!
Machka is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 07:25 PM
  #13  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
One of the reasons I ask this question is because I've been tentatively diagnosed with a fractured hip. I've been told not to walk, and if I have to, I should use crutches.

In order to confirm this diagnosis, I need to go for an MRI. I've been for MRIs up there recently, so my first thought was that I would just walk the 3.4 km round trip.

But wait. I'm not supposed to walk and I don't like crutches. I'm a klutz with them. Plus even if I were adept at using, it would be a challenge to get to this location.

So I figured I'd take the bus. Only the bus covers about 2 km of the 3.4 km, leaving me to deal with 1.4 km.

I guess it will be a taxi. But that can get expensive.




So it got me to thinking about the services available when we can't get around.

When I lived in Winnipeg and burned my foot to the bone, I tried to take a bus the first day. That was awful. Couldn't do it. So I started taking taxis, using the pet taxi service, and having my groceries delivered.

Here, we're already getting our groceries delivered which is good. I can take the bus into work for now, but if I am officially diagnosed with a hip fracture, I might not be able to do that. And there are taxis.


Do any of you have a service that takes incapacitated people to medical appointments?

Last edited by Machka; 02-02-19 at 07:29 PM.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 07:27 PM
  #14  
daoswald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT (Formerly Los Angeles, CA)
Posts: 979

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
I'm thinking more like a real emergency, like if my pet got hit by a car and was bleeding, etc. Can't imagine hooking up a trailer (I have one) or getting an Uber. Not sure what I would do.
Avail yourself of the kindness of a car-embracing friend or stranger, I guess. If you absolutely have to get somewhere quickly with a pet that is in really bad shape the best option is probably a vehicle.

One suggestion: certainly one of the nearby 24-hour pet emergency vets has dealt with a situation where the owner didn't have access to a vehicle. Call around to each of the closest and ask them what they have to offer for such situations. It might turn out they either have a standard operating procedure or could make up a standing plan of action in advance for this type of situation. It could be a conversation that serves to advance the awareness and services available to an entire community which could be a big win.
daoswald is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 09:37 PM
  #15  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,312

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald View Post
Avail yourself of the kindness of a car-embracing friend or stranger, I guess. If you absolutely have to get somewhere quickly with a pet that is in really bad shape the best option is probably a vehicle.

One suggestion: certainly one of the nearby 24-hour pet emergency vets has dealt with a situation where the owner didn't have access to a vehicle. Call around to each of the closest and ask them what they have to offer for such situations. It might turn out they either have a standard operating procedure or could make up a standing plan of action in advance for this type of situation. It could be a conversation that serves to advance the awareness and services available to an entire community which could be a big win.
Great suggestion, I will do that...now, when it's not an emergency. Hopefully there will be some solution. I know my neighbors would take me if they are home, but that's not always the case.
I'm not worried about getting myself someplace - if you throw enough $ at this problem there is a solution (whether ambulance, private medical transport, Uber/Lyft/taxi). Some medical plans now are even offering transport to appts. as part of the benefits.
linberl is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 01:32 AM
  #16  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,062
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Do any of you have a service that takes incapacitated people to medical appointments?
We have just the thing, it's called Handidart. It is an extension of the bus service that caters to people with disabilities. To qualify I think you need a doctors note and then you buy quite cheap tickets (like bus fare). It's not spur of the moment like a taxi but a lot cheaper. You call ahead of time to book a pickup (at your home or facility) and there is a window of time because they are driving lots of people so you sometimes have to be ready and wait for a while but they do take you from A to B like your MRI appointments. We have a resident who attends a day program who gets picked up and dropped off weekdays.

https://www.bctransit.com/central-fr...info/handydart
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 02:13 AM
  #17  
avole
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: France
Posts: 1,045

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The short answer is to live in a town or city where these services exist, or have services that do not charge the earth for home visits. I have to admire the NHS and the ambulance services in the UK, by the way. I appreciate distances and facilities vary, but it seems to me they're better than in many places where I have lived.
avole is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 04:59 AM
  #18  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,575
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
What about when you can't walk? Or cycle or drive?

How do you go about your daily life? How do you get to your follow up medical appointments?

Like let's say you broke a hip or leg or badly burned a foot or something.

What resources does your area provide for those sorts of circumstances?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Stretchers probably, though when I was transported from the local hospital, to a major medical center after my cycling accident it was on a stretcher, by helicopter.
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
You're going to use a stretcher to go to work, do your shopping, and take care of errands?
Stretcher would be for emergencies. Otherwise as I described:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
So too, Boston is a medical mecca, and major teaching hospitals are within about two miles, and we have a car parked nearby.

For a personal crisis, one is always advised, don't drive yourself. Ambulances, taxis, and Uber are always available, and subway lines bring you to a short walk of a Hospital or doctor's office, at least where we live.
For a further comprehensive list, I could get the servants to bear me on a sedan chair or a rickshaw...Now that's car-free...

Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 06:12 AM
  #19  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,332

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
We have just the thing, it's called Handidart. It is an extension of the bus service that caters to people with disabilities. To qualify I think you need a doctors note and then you buy quite cheap tickets (like bus fare). It's not spur of the moment like a taxi but a lot cheaper. You call ahead of time to book a pickup (at your home or facility) and there is a window of time because they are driving lots of people so you sometimes have to be ready and wait for a while but they do take you from A to B like your MRI appointments. We have a resident who attends a day program who gets picked up and dropped off weekdays.

https://www.bctransit.com/central-fr...info/handydart
I'm looking for something similar here.

I can take the bus to work, the walking part of that isn't too far yet ... although it may become too far if the diagnosis results in a "NO walking" order.

Plus I've discovered that there appears to be 3 community transport options for getting to appointments and other things. However, the first criteria is that a person would have to be 65 years old ... or disabled.

OK, I might qualify under the "or disabled" but I think I would need to be able to prove it, and a bad limp isn't enough. It would have to be a medical certificate.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 10:36 AM
  #20  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,312

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the Bay area, even if you have a temporary disability, a medical cert will get you all kinds of options for transit. But without certification, it's all private pay. There are numerous Medical Transport Non-emergency companies that charge anywhere from $30-200 to get someone to a dr. appointment (rate depending on how ambulatory you are). Or it's taxis/uber if you can't walk at all. Can you talk to your doctor about getting a temporary medical certification? Does that give you more options where you live? The other thing we have here is an local online community and it's pretty easy to find a (somewhat close) neighbor to pay for rides you arrange in advance; often just gas and a free lunch will do it.
linberl is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 12:27 PM
  #21  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,839

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
What about when you can't walk? Or cycle or drive?

How do you go about your daily life? How do you get to your follow up medical appointments?

Like let's say you broke a hip or leg or badly burned a foot or something.

What resources does your area provide for those sorts of circumstances?
Answer to all of the above: I have an emergency fund to purchase a car. Hopefully friends and relatives can help out if I can't drive. There are door-to-door public transit options in my city as well for just this reason. This is a real concern for anyone who depends on their two feet. Hell, I can't even get into my house in a wheelchair.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 09:53 PM
  #22  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,668
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We have a relatively low cost service here. You have to schedule a day in advance and they provide door to door service for $5 one way within the city and $12.50 in the county. This is available to anyone for any reason, although it believe it is primarily used for medical and other professional appointments. Different levels of service and cost subsidies are available depending on individual circumstances.
jon c. is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 10:17 PM
  #23  
wipekitty
on the road again
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: organic valley
Posts: 1,895

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post

Do any of you have a service that takes incapacitated people to medical appointments?
Yes! We have a privately run medical transport service that runs in town and the surrounding areas. It's $3 per one way trip, and it's a big van (kind of like the ones they use for airport shuttles).

For about a year and a half, my SO and I (well, really my SO!) took care of a legally blind man with diabetes who required dialysis 3x per week and had several minor surgeries and other follow-up appointments. The drivers were all really nice, and would even help him in and out of the van when it was icy.
wipekitty is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:55 AM
  #24  
Rob_E
Senior Member
 
Rob_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,517

Bikes: Downtube 8H

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess it depends on the extent/duration of the injury. I can bus myself to within a block of my doctor's office, but I still have to get down the driveway to the bus stop and from the bus stop to the doctor. Generally my criteria has been: If I'm not well enough to ride my bike, I'm not well enough to go to work, but that wouldn't be practical for a long period of time. I have injured my leg in such a way that it hurt to walk on it, but felt fine to ride. The trick was figuring out how to carry a cane on my bike.

I imagine there are services to help, too. Largely depends on the extent to which you are not mobile.

But it's hard for me to say, "This is the point where you get a car." 1) It really depends on how long you expect to be off your feet. 2) It's not a practical solution for everyone. Some of the people I see riding the bus who have mobility issues appear to be at or near an age when they probably shouldn't be driving. Some have vision issues, too, where they can't legally drive. So I'm assuming there are services that help those people get around.
Rob_E is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 12:08 PM
  #25  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,312

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you can sit on a bike but can't pedal, you can always get a hub motor and make it electric =)
linberl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.