Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How can buses get better?

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How can buses get better?

Old 05-08-19, 06:11 AM
  #101  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8071 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Buses already work, but its the "special" ones (carpool, rapid, events, etc.) that get the thumbs up. As I stated above, standard transit buses will always be handicapped due to their mandate to accept anyone. If you're covered in sewage you might be turned away. But if you smell like sewage you still get to ride along with everybody else.
Someone made the point that planes have drunk, smelly, and obnoxious people as well as buses; so it's not exactly clear why buses are considered lower class transportation than planes. Maybe it's purely the idea that if you can afford to spend less time in transit, then it's worth the money. I wish people would think about the environmental problems of flying and driving and choose buses for that reason, but Idk what it would take for the majority of people to prioritize environment/sustainability concerns, considering that's there's already a huge amount of news devoted to that and yet huge numbers of people ignore it anyway.
tandempower is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 08:29 AM
  #102  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,486

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2917 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Someone made the point that planes have drunk, smelly, and obnoxious people as well as buses; so it's not exactly clear why buses are considered lower class transportation than planes. Maybe it's purely the idea that if you can afford to spend less time in transit, then it's worth the money. I wish people would think about the environmental problems of flying and driving and choose buses for that reason, but Idk what it would take for the majority of people to prioritize environment/sustainability concerns, considering that's there's already a huge amount of news devoted to that and yet huge numbers of people ignore it anyway.

We have places to go, people to see, things to do.

And planes get us there faster.

It is worth the money!!
Machka is offline  
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-08-19, 09:22 AM
  #103  
tandempower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8071 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
We have places to go, people to see, things to do.

And planes get us there faster.

It is worth the money!!
Some places are only reachable by plane.

Really if the world ever gets truly serious about climate-sustainability reform, we'll have to make the time to go by sailing ship to cross oceans, as was common before ships were motorized; but of course there will be no shortage of whining and ridicule before people eventually accept that sailing is the only truly emissions-free way to cross oceans.
tandempower is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 11:59 AM
  #104  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,009

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Some places are only reachable by plane.

Really if the world ever gets truly serious about climate-sustainability reform, we'll have to make the time to go by sailing ship to cross oceans, as was common before ships were motorized; but of course there will be no shortage of whining and ridicule before people eventually accept that sailing is the only truly emissions-free way to cross oceans.
Our navy has nuclear ships you know? Much faster than sail. Synthetic fuel can work for aircraft. Not as easy as petroleum but possible.

Let me know when you see the next sailing fleet. I will wait.
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 05:35 PM
  #105  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,486

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2917 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Some places are only reachable by plane.

Really if the world ever gets truly serious about climate-sustainability reform, we'll have to make the time to go by sailing ship to cross oceans, as was common before ships were motorized; but of course there will be no shortage of whining and ridicule before people eventually accept that sailing is the only truly emissions-free way to cross oceans.
No thank you!

I'm so glad we live in at time when we don't have travel by sea unless we really want to!!

I live on an island. We've got two publicly available methods of getting off the island: 1) plane, and we can get to Melbourne in about 1.5 hours. 2) Spirit of Tasmania (ferry) ... which takes 9-11 hours.

We've done the ferry crossing a few times and it can be a bit of fun, but it can be a pretty rough crossing sometimes. More often we fly ... it's just so much quicker.
Machka is offline  
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-15-19, 10:20 AM
  #106  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6879 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 187 Posts
Astoria, founded 1811, is comprised of Uniontown (organized fishing cooperatives),
on 1 end of it and Uppertown on the east..

You used to have to use a boat on the river to get between the 2 ..
everything that is flat, now, is dredge spoil fill .

Town proper, originally filled in between Pilings driven in the riverbottom..
fietsbob is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
2zweelabout
General Cycling Discussion
52
12-14-17 09:25 PM
Catnap
Classic and Vintage Sales
0
03-26-15 09:38 AM
Onegun
Northeast
1
02-21-09 10:56 AM
Lahewk
Road Cycling
1
05-19-06 11:06 AM
lupson
Bicycle Mechanics
1
09-08-05 06:01 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.