Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The End is Nigh

Old 05-20-19, 08:56 AM
  #26  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 197 Posts
Maybe Uber will Sue over not using them,... as a "Restraint of Trade ", and as a result,
be forcing people to help them exploit all their 'Independent Contractor' driver- minions...








...
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-20-19, 10:06 AM
  #27  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Bug Shield View Post
Unless you have reasons you want to drive again, why not Uber for your niece? It would save you a pile of time and money but give you her less exposure to you.
I didn't think we had Uber yet, but it appears to be here.

Still, the rate chart indicated about $20 each way.

That could eat up her minimal stipend quickly.

I think her program is about 5 weeks, or about 50 commutes, although I may only do about 10 of them.

Still, it would be a point that taxi/Uber is a possibility for very infrequent needs.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 01:28 PM
  #28  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Well, I'm officially a "driver" again. (although not back on the road yet).

18 mile RT ride to the insurance company and DMV.

I was a bit worried. 32 years ago, I spent a year in Europe, and the insurance company didn't want to renew my insurance when I returned.

This time, however, 4+ year lapse, and I think my insurance rates actually went DOWN, without hardly any comment, although I had to sign a bunch of new forms. My info had been "archived". "Clean driving record???"

They wanted to add AAA to my policy by default. Heck if I know why. But, only for Oregon & Idaho (excluding Washington and California).

And, they know I'm not driving a new vehicle... But, I suppose it is also the reality that I've been self-supporting for many years.

I wonder if they'll extend AAA to my FIAT if I get it running???

Unfortunately, I knew Oregon sold the car registration on a biannual basis. So, my registration had lapsed for 3 years, 362 days. So, they charged me 2 years registration and only gave me tags for 1 year, 3 days. I'll have to complain about that.

Now, the bad...

I may try restoring and flipping non-driveable cars to be back on the road.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 02:09 PM
  #29  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,009

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've put a few miles on the bike. Over 22,000 miles since I started tracking in the fall of 2015.

I'll likely drive some this summer, then go back to non-driving shortly thereafter.



I have a tandem that I might try out. But, it wasn't particularly popular with the kids the last time I tried it.

Although, one issue was that I thought one of those trailer "Afterburner" bikes would be a good idea with helping my nephew learn to ride. And, while successful, it gave him a thorough distaste for tandems. I'm not sure how his sister will react.

I could, of course, escort by bike. We'll see.
Here is the question, have you made a decision yet?
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 04:15 PM
  #30  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
Here is the question, have you made a decision yet?
Well, not everything is decided.

See the post above. I updated my insurance, and the registration on the Blazer today.

I'm trying to get the Fiat back on the road, which I'd prefer to use as a local commuter... it is just more fun. But, it isn't quite there yet.

I've also decided to do some other Auto projects. I bid on a Salvage vehicle today... what a frustrating process overall. But, unfortunately was outbid. It just started going higher than I wanted to spend on it. But, that is also one of the reasons I wanted to get the Blazer back on the road.

I still don't know what is happening with my Niece. She had applied for the Youth Corps, but got her application in late, and may not get in. But, things could still change. We may not know for sure until mid June. My brother is also going through a messy divorce which could impact her ability to spend a month doing Youth Corps and visiting her grandmother.

Oh, one thing, I couldn't really get a quote on just 3 months worth of insurance, but the price for 6 months was easy enough to stomach, so I'll have insurance on one vehicle and many add another for the summer, then we'll see once it gets wet and miserable again... perfect cycling weather.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 08:26 PM
  #31  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,176

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've been looking at my Ferves Ranger. I could probably get it road worthy in the next month or so, but it should have a roll bar and seatbelts added which might put me over the deadline. Still, worth doing some work on it. So, it will probably be the Fiat 500. I could, of course, get one running, then do an engine swap into the other if I was ready.
Were these ever "roadworthy"?
dedhed is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 08:56 PM
  #32  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Were these ever "roadworthy"?
I don't know. I've never actually seen one running, and mine hadn't been running for long before I had gotten it.

Fiat made millions of the Fiat 500's and Fiat 600's in the late 50's to early 70's.

The Ferves used the same drivetrain, so for that matter, it should be ok on the road.

But, the Ferves has the oddest proportions, sitting fairly high, narrow, and short, although I suppose one could say that about the original 1940's & 1950's Jeeps too.

But, I don't think I'd venture out on the road without at least a few Safety upgrades.

I have set that aside at the moment. Working on a couple of other things. I've gotten the Blazer on the road last Thursday for the first time in 4+ years. The thing is actually doing quite well for a 30 year old vehicle with a bit of abuse.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 03:13 PM
  #33  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,793

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I do, on occasion, drive with my mother in her car, for example helping with long trips, and consider that fair game with what should be covered by insurance. In the not too distant future, the insurance company should want me to drive her.
What vehicle do you use for that? If it's your mother's could you keep it at your house for the duration of your niece's placement, if you feel obligated to chauffer her? And if not, because your mom needs it, couldn't she drive your niece at least some of the time?

And can't your niece take the bus?

And will your brother pay your gas?

Last edited by cooker; 06-04-19 at 03:19 PM.
cooker is online now  
Old 06-06-19, 02:22 AM
  #34  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
What vehicle do you use for that? If it's your mother's could you keep it at your house for the duration of your niece's placement, if you feel obligated to chauffer her? And if not, because your mom needs it, couldn't she drive your niece at least some of the time?

And can't your niece take the bus?

And will your brother pay your gas?
When I was in St. Louis, I met a woman who didn't drive, but kept her deceased husband's car registered and insured so family members could give her rides.

But, in this case, my mother is quite independent, and still driving.

So, taking her car to use as my own wouldn't go over well.

When I was non-driving, I chose not to impose my needs on others... I.E. no substituting someone else's vehicle for my own.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 08:56 AM
  #35  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,776

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I don't know. I've never actually seen one running, and mine hadn't been running for long before I had gotten it.
I have set that aside at the moment. Working on a couple of other things. I've gotten the Blazer on the road last Thursday for the first time in 4+ years. The thing is actually doing quite well for a 30 year old vehicle with a bit of abuse.
If you need/want an operational vehicle, wouldn't it have been a lot less trouble and probably less money to buy a reasonably priced older used car in good mechanical and running condition and trade in or junk the non operating broken cars in your possession for whatever you could get?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 07:08 PM
  #36  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,793

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
When I was in St. Louis, I met a woman who didn't drive, but kept her deceased husband's car registered and insured so family members could give her rides.

But, in this case, my mother is quite independent, and still driving.

So, taking her car to use as my own wouldn't go over well.
Can't she drive the kid, then? She's already going to be living with her, has the car, and is way closer to the jobsite than you.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I didn't think we had Uber yet, but it appears to be here.

Still, the rate chart indicated about $20 each way.

That could eat up her minimal stipend quickly.
Won't your costs (not to mention your time) be far more than that? If my bro asked me to get a car up and running, and drive around 100 miles a day for five weeks to ferry his kid back and forth to a program, and she could take a $20 uber instead, I'd pay for the uber. Or better yet, he would.

Last edited by cooker; 06-06-19 at 07:23 PM.
cooker is online now  
Old 06-06-19, 07:53 PM
  #37  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Can't she drive the kid, then? She's already going to be living with her, has the car, and is way closer to the jobsite than you.

Won't your costs (not to mention your time) be far more than that? If my bro asked me to get a car up and running, and drive around 100 miles a day for five weeks to ferry his kid back and forth to a program, and she could take a $20 uber instead, I'd pay for the uber. Or better yet, he would.
Nothing is confirmed yet. She got her application in late and may not go to the Youth Corps. But, an opening could come up.

And, yes, Mom would likely be driving her most of the time. But there could be days when that isn't possible or practical, so one must be prepared for the inevitable.
CliffordK is offline  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-07-19, 06:13 PM
  #38  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,176

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
If you need/want an operational vehicle, wouldn't it have been a lot less trouble and probably less money to buy a reasonably priced older used car in good mechanical and running condition and trade in or junk the non operating broken cars in your possession for whatever you could get?
The FERVES is a collectible unit.
https://classiccars.com/listings/fin.../ferves/ranger
dedhed is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 06:56 PM
  #39  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
If you need/want an operational vehicle, wouldn't it have been a lot less trouble and probably less money to buy a reasonably priced older used car in good mechanical and running condition and trade in or junk the non operating broken cars in your possession for whatever you could get?
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
I suppose I'm a bit of a closet "motorhead". That just didn't drive much for the last 4+ years. And, have a bit of a unique twist on things.

The Blazer was mostly running. A quick tune-up, and I got it on the road a week ago. Then 2 days ago I had an near catastrophic muffler failure

But, it is still on the road.

Other vehicles need a bit of work here and there... but that is also all part of the FUN.

The Ferves is probably one of the least practical cars, but also one of the most unique cars. Some notes indicate that it may actually be a Ferrari... or an early Ferrari/Fiat collaboration.

Not headed to a crusher anytime soon.

I'd be happy to trade in my old pickup once @I-Like-To-Bike points me to a Made in the USA pickup < 20 years old that gets > 40 MPG (US Gallons, not the British Imperial Gallons). And, of course available in the USA.

... Not a Cushman.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 10:28 AM
  #40  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,776

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'd be happy to trade in my old pickup once @I-Like-To-Bike points me to a Made in the USA pickup < 20 years old that gets > 40 MPG (US Gallons, not the British Imperial Gallons). And, of course available in the USA.

... Not a Cushman.
Why a pickup to accomplish the task spelled out in your OP?

Given how few miles you plan to drive I would assume the difference in fuel/oil cost of a low mpg gas guzzler over a 40mpg vehicle (which you do not own now) would be an insignificant financial or environmental cost to anyone not interested in bragging rights at the LCF clubhouse.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 11:21 AM
  #41  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
a 40mpg vehicle (which you do not own now)


And, you know what is parked in my garage... how?

The Ferves we've talked about should get about 40 MPG.
The Fiat gets about 40 MPG.
And the old pickup gets about 40 MPG.

Of course, they use far less fuel when sitting parked.

I suppose you're right.

Time to post a Craigslist ad... Gas Guzzler Wanted (to offset my cycling).
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 08:20 PM
  #42  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,776

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post


And, you know what is parked in my garage... how?

The Ferves we've talked about should get about 40 MPG.
The Fiat gets about 40 MPG.
And the old pickup gets about 40 MPG.

Of course, they use far less fuel when sitting parked.

I suppose you're right.

Time to post a Craigslist ad... Gas Guzzler Wanted (to offset my cycling).
I must have missed where you mentioned that you had a pickup that gets about 40mpg. What make/model is that and when was the last time it got 40 mpg?

Still don't know why you need a pickup truck for chauffeuring around your niece.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 11:36 PM
  #43  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I must have missed where you mentioned that you had a pickup that gets about 40mpg. What make/model is that and when was the last time it got 40 mpg?

Still don't know why you need a pickup truck for chauffeuring around your niece.
There are several "new" small pickups that get around 40 MPG, but none available in the USA. Perhaps one should try to apply the 25 year rule (1994 this year, 1995 models next year).

However, going back to the 1980's, there are two pickups that stand out in front of the pack.

The VW Caddy was American made, and sports a small 1.6L diesel engine.

The Chevy Luv was Japanese made, also sporting a tiny diesel engine with decent mileage. But, of course, discontinued.

Ford did not make a diesel Courier, but there was a Mazda B2200 diesel variant available.

And, a couple of early Ford Rangers had diesel.

Anyway, I was experimenting with biodiesel about 10 years ago, and ended up with an injection pump leak due to the biodiesel about 6 years ago that damaged the timing belt, and knocked my Caddy off the road.

I've started thinking about alternatives to the 1.6 naturally aspirated engine, such as either a 1.9 or 2.0 liter turbo diesel engine. And, if I go modern, I should be able to get it much cleaner burning (albeit, I may hit the era that VW was fooling around with the test procedures).

About 10 years ago I did make a trip from Eugene to Seattle in the Caddy, and got about 45 MPG. I think it was something I was buying from Craigslist or Ebay, but I can't remember quite what it was, or why I was going that far. But, I was regularly getting around 40 MPG around town. Pretty close to Mom's 1st and 2nd gen Prius cars, although her latest one is pushing > 50 MPG.

Unfortunately, with the upside-down way our government is with cars, pretty much the only options for high fuel efficient micro pickups is to go with 35 to 40 year old pickups.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 12:03 AM
  #44  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,009

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I must have missed where you mentioned that you had a pickup that gets about 40mpg. What make/model is that and when was the last time it got 40 mpg?

Still don't know why you need a pickup truck for chauffeuring around your niece.
I think, only guessing here, that he has a Ferves, maybe a ranger. They are a micro car that some states register as LSV because they are pretty slow. They have a less than 500 cc motor and got pretty good fuel mileage. But they top out at about 45mph.

I once had a NSU Prince with about the same size.
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 04:33 AM
  #45  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
I think, only guessing here, that he has a Ferves, maybe a ranger. They are a micro car that some states register as LSV because they are pretty slow. They have a less than 500 cc motor and got pretty good fuel mileage. But they top out at about 45mph.

I once had a NSU Prince with about the same size.
The Ranger comes in a few different models.

4x4 standard
4x2 standard
Cargo

I ended up with the 4x2 standard version. I let a couple of cargo Ferves slip through my fingers a while ago, but didn't have the resources to deal with them at the time.

The VW Caddy also gets about 40 MPG, and should be able to be adapted to just about any modern VW drivetrain.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 09:31 AM
  #46  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,776

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
There are several "new" small pickups that get around 40 MPG, but none available in the USA. Perhaps one should try to apply the 25 year rule (1994 this year, 1995 models next year).

However, going back to the 1980's, there are two pickups that stand out in front of the pack.

The VW Caddy was American made, and sports a small 1.6L diesel engine.

The Chevy Luv was Japanese made, also sporting a tiny diesel engine with decent mileage. But, of course, discontinued.

Ford did not make a diesel Courier, but there was a Mazda B2200 diesel variant available.

And, a couple of early Ford Rangers had diesel.

Anyway, I was experimenting with biodiesel about 10 years ago, and ended up with an injection pump leak due to the biodiesel about 6 years ago that damaged the timing belt, and knocked my Caddy off the road.

I've started thinking about alternatives to the 1.6 naturally aspirated engine, such as either a 1.9 or 2.0 liter turbo diesel engine. And, if I go modern, I should be able to get it much cleaner burning (albeit, I may hit the era that VW was fooling around with the test procedures).

About 10 years ago I did make a trip from Eugene to Seattle in the Caddy, and got about 45 MPG. I think it was something I was buying from Craigslist or Ebay, but I can't remember quite what it was, or why I was going that far. But, I was regularly getting around 40 MPG around town. Pretty close to Mom's 1st and 2nd gen Prius cars, although her latest one is pushing > 50 MPG.

Unfortunately, with the upside-down way our government is with cars, pretty much the only options for high fuel efficient micro pickups is to go with 35 to 40 year old pickups.
Presumably none of the new foreign small pickups you mentioned are legal to import in the U.S. due to inability to meet D.O.T. safety or E.P.A. anti-pollution requirements..

Do you really think it makes economic sense to rehabilitate your various vehicle experiments to a safe and legal operating condition, rather than just buy a relatively inexpensive used conventional vehicle to meet your need/desire to help out your niece? Same question applies to the economic sense in buying 35 -40 year old vehicles with their likely worn out components in order to save a few dollars on gasoline?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 11:31 AM
  #47  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Do you really think it makes economic sense...
Not everything in the world has to make economic sense.

There are plenty of people on this board that are rehabbing 30+ year old bicycles because they enjoy it. And, then choose to also install rare 30+ year components on them for "that look". Or even track down expensive repro components.

But, new cars are also ridiculously expensive, and hardly make economic sense, especially if one is hardly driving, as they'll depreciate even if parked in the garage.

Finding a used car that is dirt cheap will bring with it it's own issues, not so different from what I already have.

And, finding a solid used car can still be mighty expensive.

I've known people barely making ends meet, and still dumping a lot of money into upgrading one worn out used car into another worn out used car.

Many repairs on used cars can be dirt cheap. So I'm not sure how you could argue that one is better off heading out and paying thousands of dollars for a battered used car rather than $100 to perhaps $500 to get what one already has running.

As far as "classics". It is hard to judge values solely based on asking prices without looking at sales prices, or how quickly they're selling. But, say one does a bang-up restoration job on the Ferves, it could likely be sold in the $20K to $40K range. The question might be how much it would cost to build a $40K car, but one thing about microcars is that there is not a lot to them, and parts can even be relatively cheap, that is, if one can find them.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 12:04 PM
  #48  
base2 
Senior Member
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 980

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
She's 15. Sounds like a good age for her to start figuring out how to be self-reliant & take responsibility for her own transportation/life obligations.

Your job is to raise a responsible, resourceful, thinking tiny human, right?

My son is 17, (18 in a month) and gets in 15-20 miles per day on his bicycle to do all his daily errands. It started in 9th grade (age 13) & he sees no need for a car whatsoever.

He also uses the bus regularly & walks when his cycling legs are tired.

If she is bent on externalizing the cost of het responsibilities to you, Dad, maybe it would be a reasonable compromise to spring for a bus pass & tie it to your checking account or a fancy new bicycle (even an electric one) & save yourself the hassle, expense, & obligation of being somebody on-call taxi service.

Don't let yourself be used on account of "love" You'll be a doormat, unappreciated & taken for granted every time.

20190601_193336 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Here is my sons bike. Cannondale H300 shortly after it's second complete overhaul. Notice the milk-crate, the low-rider rack, the fresh powder-coat, Nuvinci N380 hub with XT hollowtech 2 crankset & abarasque Shimano 600 chain tensioner. The second rebuild was done with about 50% his money & my fatherly expertise. The experience sense of ownership and collaboration between father/son alone is worth more than a car could ever offer.

Last edited by base2; 06-09-19 at 12:12 PM.
base2 is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 12:19 PM
  #49  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,776

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Not everything in the world has to make economic sense.

There are plenty of people on this board that are rehabbing 30+ year old bicycles because they enjoy it. And, then choose to also install rare 30+ year components on them for "that look". Or even track down expensive repro components.

But, new cars are also ridiculously expensive, and hardly make economic sense, especially if one is hardly driving, as they'll depreciate even if parked in the garage.

Finding a used car that is dirt cheap will bring with it it's own issues, not so different from what I already have.

And, finding a solid used car can still be mighty expensive.

I've known people barely making ends meet, and still dumping a lot of money into upgrading one worn out used car into another worn out used car.

Many repairs on used cars can be dirt cheap. So I'm not sure how you could argue that one is better off heading out and paying thousands of dollars for a battered used car rather than $100 to perhaps $500 to get what one already has running.

As far as "classics". It is hard to judge values solely based on asking prices without looking at sales prices, or how quickly they're selling. But, say one does a bang-up restoration job on the Ferves, it could likely be sold in the $20K to $40K range. The question might be how much it would cost to build a $40K car, but one thing about microcars is that there is not a lot to them, and parts can even be relatively cheap, that is, if one can find them.
Bottom line then: The "End is Nigh" for the family transportation reasons stated in your OP, or because you are in the mood to work on and drive your old vehicles.

Either reason, or both need not be apologized for and there doesn't seem to be any reason to post excuses for your desire to get the old vehicles in running condition; nor to drive them for whatever reason you see appropriate.

Kind of curious why you bothered to post about it all.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 12:27 PM
  #50  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,732
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Here is my sons bike.
Man, your world must be completely upside-down!!!
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
She's 15. Sounds like a good age for her to start figuring out how to be self-reliant & take responsibility for her own transportation/life obligations.
...
If she is bent on externalizing the cost of het responsibilities to you, Dad, maybe it would be a reasonable compromise to spring for a bus pass & tie it to your checking account or a fancy new bicycle (even an electric one) & save yourself the hassle, expense, & obligation of being somebody on-call taxi service.
"Dad"?

Anyway, yes, a lot of those were my thoughts.

Learn lifelong skills of independence, self reliance, and the use of alternative transportation.

However, buses are very impractical. Too far away, and not running frequently enough.

Of course, there are bike/ride options. But, it hardly makes any sense if one has to ride one's bike, say 5 miles to ride the bus 5 miles.

I could have easily gotten a decent rugged bike for her to use, but some choices are out of my control. I'll probably still get her on a good "cross" bike if she'll try it.
CliffordK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.