Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

bike friendly places

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

bike friendly places

Old 09-03-05, 02:23 PM
  #1  
tahoegramps
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tahoegramps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have info on the most bike friendly states, cities, and or countries? I am looking for a bike friendly atmosphere to move to...
tahoegramps is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 03:22 PM
  #2  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
So many... I guess it would depend on what your financial resources are like. I live here in Arlington, VA, but it's not cheap. Still, it's very bike friendly here. I lived in Chicago, where they said the mayor was an "avid cyclist" (though I never saw him riding, he only takes spinning classes at his club) and an advocate for cycling in Chicago, but it is nothing compared to what they have here in Virginia/WashDC/MD.

Koffee
 
Old 09-03-05, 04:36 PM
  #3  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have generally been treated well by the lovely cagers of Lansing, MI. We don't have many bike lanes, so that is a benefit in my opinion. We have a scenic Rivertrail, and the open countryside is easy to get to if you want to do some fast road riding. There are a couple MTB trails that are well-liked. The climate is very varied, another benefit in my book. It's a big enough city, but not too scary big. There is a large cycling club that runs the DALMAC ride every year, and 3 or 4 LBS's.
Roody is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 06:10 PM
  #4  
outashape
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roody, I didn't sign up early enough for the DALMAC, quint century ride that is going on right now. I was going to get a copy from a fellow club member and have someone drive me to Lansing and then cycle to Mackinaw and take the $39 Greyhound/Indian Trials bus back to Howell. I've read elsewhere where you have taken the bus up north to visit family. Did you ever take your bike?
outashape is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 07:33 PM
  #5  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by outashape
Roody, I didn't sign up early enough for the DALMAC, quint century ride that is going on right now. I was going to get a copy from a fellow club member and have someone drive me to Lansing and then cycle to Mackinaw and take the $39 Greyhound/Indian Trials bus back to Howell. I've read elsewhere where you have taken the bus up north to visit family. Did you ever take your bike?
No, never. It is my understanding that bikes must be in a hard case or box for Greyhound. You might want to check with them; also Indian Trails might have different regs.

My monthly trips to Traverse City always used to be a forced vacation from the bike, a chance to cross train and avoid overtraining. But my sister gave me her old road bike, so I don't get that vacation any more. Oh well. But I probably won't ride there much in the winter, although I ride all year here in Lansing.

Back on topic: I have to nominate Traverse City, MI as a great bike area too. They are currently paving long multi-use trails that go through beautiful countryside. The 2 lane country roads can't be beat for road riding and touring. The VASA trail, set up by the Swedish king for cross country skiing, is also considered one of the primo MTB trails in the country. There are a lot of commuters going to work in their nice office clothes, something I rarely see here in Lansing.
Roody is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 07:36 PM
  #6  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Really, I think most will agree: The best place to ride your bike is where you are right now! Still, a good idea for a thread, tahoegramps.
Roody is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 08:10 PM
  #7  
R1000si
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tucson, Arizona is very nice. There is no off season and by law any road that is being constructed must have a bike lane.

In their November issue, Bicycling Magazine announced this year's list of Best Cycling Cities. Begun in the early 1980s, the listing looks at a variety of factors including bicycling infrastructure, supportive local government, active cycling advocacy groups, bicycling culture, and more.

Best Overall City: Portland, OR:
https://www.trans.ci.portland.or.us/T...cycle_Program/

Cities with a population over 1 million
1. Montreal: https://www.velo.qc.ca/velo_quebec/
2. Chicago: https://www.ci.chi.il.us/Transportati...es/bicycle.htm
3 San Diego: https://www.sandag.cog.ca.us/sdmts/bicycle.html

Cities with a population between 500,000 and 1 million
1. Seattle: https://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/td/bicycle.asp
2. Austin: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/bicycle/
3. San Francisco: https://www.ci.sf.ca.us/dpt/regs/map5.htm

Cities with a population between 200,000 and 500,000
1. Denver: https://198.202.202.66/dephome.asp?depid=598
2. Madison: https://www.ci.madison.wi.us/transp/bicycle.html
3. Tucson: https://www.pagnet.org/TPD/IMSP/bicycle.html
R1000si is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 11:37 PM
  #8  
77Univega
Drive the Bicycle.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 608

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tahoegramps
I am looking for a bike friendly atmosphere to move to...
--- Smaller college towns in California to consider include Palo Alto, Davis and Arcata.
__________________
"The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well." Ivan Illich ('Energy and Equity')1974
77Univega is offline  
Old 09-03-05, 11:51 PM
  #9  
2mtr
18 dog baby
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 400

Bikes: 2008 crosscheck complete, 1984 Pugeot fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't move to Honolulu, Hawaii. At least not for a few more years. I know it's counter intuitive, as our weather is awesome. But the roads suck, the drivers are provincial, and the laws are just about as draconian as you can get in the US.
Especially don't move to Waikiki.
Here's an absurd law: You can't ride with a trailer in Waikiki, at all. So no BOBs, no extracycles, not even a trailer for your kid. I wondered about the extracycle, but the way the law's worded, you can't have anything "attached" to a bike. It's a shame, cause Hawaii would be such a tremendously wonderful place to ride.
2mtr is offline  
Old 09-04-05, 02:57 AM
  #10  
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 2,018

Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Germany!
becnal is offline  
Old 09-04-05, 04:39 PM
  #11  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What are the constituents or characteristics of a bike friendly city?
Roody is offline  
Old 09-05-05, 12:05 AM
  #12  
kurtarndorfer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Portland, OR and moved from Chicago. Don't believe the hype, Chicago is NOT bike friendly. In Portland every bus has a bike rack on it, and the light rail has places on every car to hang your bike. There are bike lanes on all major roads, and a law that gives bicycles the right to an entire lane if there is no bike lane. The city is required to spend a certain percentage of the road budget for bike lanes and mass transit. Most important though is that drivers are respectful of bicycles. There are bikes everywhere here since Portland is one of the greenest and most progressive cities in America. Seriously, you can't walk out the door without tripping over 5 bicyclists.
kurtarndorfer is offline  
Old 09-05-05, 07:09 AM
  #13  
HWS
Fuji Shill
 
HWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WPAFB, OH
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SW Ohio. Lots of trails and riders around. Bike freindly motorists as well.
__________________
HWS is offline  
Old 09-05-05, 12:47 PM
  #14  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by kurtarndorfer
I live in Portland, OR and moved from Chicago. Don't believe the hype, Chicago is NOT bike friendly. In Portland every bus has a bike rack on it, and the light rail has places on every car to hang your bike. There are bike lanes on all major roads, and a law that gives bicycles the right to an entire lane if there is no bike lane. The city is required to spend a certain percentage of the road budget for bike lanes and mass transit. Most important though is that drivers are respectful of bicycles. There are bikes everywhere here since Portland is one of the greenest and most progressive cities in America. Seriously, you can't walk out the door without tripping over 5 bicyclists.
Can I get a witness!

Amen about Chicago- I actually am unlearning some of the stuff I had to do when I was in Chicago, because here in VA/MD/DC, traffic is so much more friendly and aware that I have problems believing/dealing with traffic when they do stuff like wait for you to pass before turning, yielding to cyclists, looking before opening doors, etc. I rode in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, and I felt combative and angry... and I was very glad to get back to Virginia so I could ride in peace with the traffic. Not to say every car here wants to kiss my butt, but (no pun intended), the majority of traffic is very respectful of cyclists.

Koffee
 
Old 09-05-05, 12:56 PM
  #15  
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider
 
Boudicca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,039

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
Germany!
Another vote for Germany. Or Holland, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, anywhere else in Scandinavia. They have bike paths along rivers or running parallel to the main roads, you can take your bike on many, many trains (sometimes you have to book this one in advance) and go on long country cruises on bike trails, or on almost empty roads, and there are cafes/restaurants/hotels all over the place for when you get tired and need to stop. And the cities have bike lanes too - real wide bike lanes which are usually separated from traffic by railings or raised kerbs so cars can't park there. Apartment buildings have a dedicated room to store your bike. Need I go on?
__________________
Zero gallons to the mile
Boudicca is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 09:38 AM
  #16  
jenmarsh
Newbie
 
jenmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3

Bikes: Mongoose Exile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R1000si
Oooh, I am so excited to see this. Currently, I live in Houston and I don't think they're very bike friendly. I am giving up my car this week (donating it, hopefully someone from the Katrina disaster will benefit) and I just got my bike on Sunday. I've ridden it to the grocery store once and it was quite scary, I just don't trust the drivers.

Either way, my excitement stems from the fact that I've been wanting to move to Denver for the past four months. Every single time I hear something about that city, it is a good thing. To have it be one of the more cycle-friendly cities just fortifies my move even more.
jenmarsh is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 10:06 AM
  #17  
Cadd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Montreal for the Labor day weekend.....and let me tell you, the part of town I was in (downtown) is very very cyclist friendly. Everyone seems to be riding and the drivers there seem to respect cyclists more (than NYC). There are bike racks EVERYWHERE! I actually have lots of pictures of bikes, I'll post up some of the bike racks that I came across. There aren't a lot of new bikes.....mostly 80s & early 90s. I did get to chat with a few roadies and they seem cool.

We decided to rent bikes to ride around town for a day.....it was so much damn fun (my friends haven't been on bikes since they were kids). We rode around the city, we rode on a University campus, we rode to the casino, and we rode out to two islands (outside Montreal) and got lost. Lots of fun......touring by bike is awesome.....we only had one minor mishap (major to them). My friend had a flat and NOBODY knew what to do.....luckily I asked for a patch kit, frame pump, extra tube & iron levers when we rented.....or else we would have be screwed. Of course they didn't know I had the tools. It was getting dark and we were miles away from the City. They started freaking out. I let them squarm a little before fixing the flat. All I know is that I had lots of free drinks and dances that night.

After our trip, my friends are *thinking* about buying bikes and riding for fun. Yeah!
Cadd is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 10:19 AM
  #18  
BenyBen
winter is comming
 
BenyBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lachine, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 531

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cadd, glad you liked my city. Not the entire island is bike friendly though, there's some places that have very limited access due to highways barring the way. Downtown is pretty cool though.
BenyBen is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 03:28 PM
  #19  
AlanK
Senior Member
 
AlanK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle, WA (United States)
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Just FYI, this subject as been discussed on several other threads. Try a search like "most bike friendly cities", and you should get several threads. It's just good to avoid redundancy.
AlanK is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 04:21 PM
  #20  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Just FYI, this subject as been discussed on several other threads. Try a search like "most bike friendly cities", and you should get several threads. It's just good to avoid redundancy.
OTOH, there's a lot of new faces around here all the time, and many like to get in on the action, rather than just reading old threads. This kind of thread is for people to express their opinions and viewpoints, rather than a "how-to" or fact based thread. For the latter, I agree that it's a good idea to search before you start a new thread.
Roody is offline  
Old 09-07-05, 04:27 PM
  #21  
KristenGilbert
Senior Member
 
KristenGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 113

Bikes: Avanlanche 2.0 GT 2005-My second

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Berkeley and it's very bike friendly here. I hear SF is great for that as well.
KristenGilbert is offline  
Old 09-09-05, 08:41 PM
  #22  
tahoegramps
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tahoegramps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Really, I think most will agree: The best place to ride your bike is where you are right now! Still, a good idea for a thread, tahoegramps.
Thank You,
tahoegramps is offline  
Old 09-10-05, 11:11 PM
  #23  
carless
Fatties Fit Fine
 
carless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Now in Eugene, OR
Posts: 409

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Details, details, what are you really looking for? What kind of work/ retirement do you want to do? Lot's of possibilities and loads of cyclist all over the world use this forum. Let's see a list of climate, language, proximity to family, taxes, what's important?
carless is offline  
Old 09-17-05, 08:40 AM
  #24  
palmertires
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 124

Bikes: Beater 8000 custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Can I get a witness!

Amen about Chicago- I actually am unlearning some of the stuff I had to do when I was in Chicago, because here in VA/MD/DC, traffic is so much more friendly and aware that I have problems believing/dealing with traffic when they do stuff like wait for you to pass before turning, yielding to cyclists, looking before opening doors, etc. I rode in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, and I felt combative and angry... and I was very glad to get back to Virginia so I could ride in peace with the traffic. Not to say every car here wants to kiss my butt, but (no pun intended), the majority of traffic is very respectful of cyclists.

Koffee
That's interesting...the feeling of being combative and angry when you road here. Just this past week, when I would get home from work, I would be thinking how negative my rides have been. Drivers honking, yelling, being pushy with their cars when there is no good reason for any of that behavior (me responding with more aggressive bicycling than I prefer to do). I think I am going to move to Portland, OR.
palmertires is offline  
Old 09-18-05, 11:11 AM
  #25  
tahoegramps
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tahoegramps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R1000si
Tucson, Arizona is very nice. There is no off season and by law any road that is being constructed must have a bike lane.

In their November issue, Bicycling Magazine announced this year's list of Best Cycling Cities. Begun in the early 1980s, the listing looks at a variety of factors including bicycling infrastructure, supportive local government, active cycling advocacy groups, bicycling culture, and more.

Best Overall City: Portland, OR:
https://www.trans.ci.portland.or.us/T...cycle_Program/

Cities with a population over 1 million
1. Montreal: https://www.velo.qc.ca/velo_quebec/
2. Chicago: https://www.ci.chi.il.us/Transportati...es/bicycle.htm
3 San Diego: https://www.sandag.cog.ca.us/sdmts/bicycle.html

Cities with a population between 500,000 and 1 million
1. Seattle: https://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/td/bicycle.asp
2. Austin: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/bicycle/
3. San Francisco: https://www.ci.sf.ca.us/dpt/regs/map5.htm

Cities with a population between 200,000 and 500,000
1. Denver: https://198.202.202.66/dephome.asp?depid=598
2. Madison: https://www.ci.madison.wi.us/transp/bicycle.html
3. Tucson: https://www.pagnet.org/TPD/IMSP/bicycle.html
Thank YOU!!!
tahoegramps is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.