Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
169
15.99%
Car free less than 1 year
98
9.27%
Car light less than 5 years
138
13.06%
Car free less than 5 years
119
11.26%
Car light more than 5 years
94
8.89%
Car free more than 5 years
228
21.57%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
185
17.50%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
26
2.46%
Voters: 1057. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Old 11-25-11, 05:16 PM
  #476  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickBanksy View Post
24 years : ) i even managed to get a job where i cycle all day! Love it.
Welcome! It sounds like you'll have experience and wisdom to share with us.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 12-03-11, 07:48 PM
  #477  
Cycocross
Ice Bites
 
Cycocross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: cYa tossers
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going on 9 years sans auto. Seriosly tho Roody, I spent 2 years in western Michigan and the first thing I thought was "well guess I won't be biking here!" Between the zero allowance for bike lanes then the abundance of roadkill, how do you do it?
Cycocross is offline  
Old 12-04-11, 05:15 PM
  #478  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycocross View Post
Going on 9 years sans auto. Seriosly tho Roody, I spent 2 years in western Michigan and the first thing I thought was "well guess I won't be biking here!" Between the zero allowance for bike lanes then the abundance of roadkill, how do you do it?
I guess we can soldier on because we're not aware that we have fewer bike lanes (or more dead animals) than any of the neighboring states.

But welcome to the forum! I see your another one who should have lots of experiences to share.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 12-08-11, 06:54 PM
  #479  
peddlenow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 19

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got about 4 months of car free living under my belt and I'm pretty sure I'll be a lifer.

Oh, and cyclocross, I grew up in West Michigan (Hudsonville to be exact) and I didn't know a single adult that didn't own a car. So in that sense, bike commuting was impossible!
peddlenow is offline  
Old 12-09-11, 05:26 PM
  #480  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peddlenow View Post
I've got about 4 months of car free living under my belt and I'm pretty sure I'll be a lifer.

Oh, and cyclocross, I grew up in West Michigan (Hudsonville to be exact) and I didn't know a single adult that didn't own a car. So in that sense, bike commuting was impossible!
I get over to Grand Rapids once in a while, and always see a few bike commuters. Of course I don't know if they own cars or not.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 12-21-11, 03:12 PM
  #481  
harry2110
Senior Member
 
harry2110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im more car lite right now as Im going places wit my parents while in college during the summer otherwise car free the rest of the year.
harry2110 is offline  
Old 12-21-11, 05:05 PM
  #482  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harry2110 View Post
Im more car lite right now as Im going places wit my parents while in college during the summer otherwise car free the rest of the year.
Welcome, harry! I like your avatar picture.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-01-12, 05:08 PM
  #483  
Scottswnsn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 22

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been car free for 6 years now and haven't thought twice about it!
Scottswnsn is offline  
Old 01-01-12, 05:30 PM
  #484  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottswnsn View Post
I've been car free for 6 years now and haven't thought twice about it!
Happy New Year and welcome!
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-03-12, 01:47 PM
  #485  
Stinky C
Junior Member
 
Stinky C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 12

Bikes: Specialized 2008 Tarmac - Pro SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My family went down to one car for about a year - but my wife and three kids used it almost exclusively. We have a second car now, but I commute on my bike almost every day. (I drive the to work on Monday morning [with my work clothes] and leave it in our parking garage in case I need to go anywhere business-related.)
Stinky C is offline  
Old 01-08-12, 03:37 AM
  #486  
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Posts: 6,058

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't qualify as being 'car-free', I think. I never had a drivers license, driven a car. I will admit that, I battled to the state medical board to let me test for a drivers license. But by the time they gave me permission(two years later). I had changed my mind because of there being so many bad drivers on the road.

I feel 1000 times before not driving. Because I am doing the environment a tremendous favor.
Chris516 is offline  
Old 01-10-12, 07:10 AM
  #487  
JonnyBizzle
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Leeds, England
Posts: 2

Bikes: Two hard tail MTBs and a road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am car light now for the past 3 months. When becoming unemployed (by choice) my insurance costs doubled so my car is now off road. I am getting around on public transport and borrowing my mother's car with occasional lift shares. I find public transport in the evening is poor and not regular.
I am blogging about my adventures at citytravelling.me.uk
JonnyBizzle is offline  
Old 01-19-12, 12:38 PM
  #488  
Annalise
Junior Member
 
Annalise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 6

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Champione Del Mondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car free for 3 years now. Get the driving out of my system when I am on the fork lift at work! Love the commute on my bike except for those rare days I wake up to a flat and the scramble is on
Annalise is offline  
Old 01-19-12, 01:11 PM
  #489  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,852

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBizzle View Post
I am car light now for the past 3 months. When becoming unemployed (by choice) my insurance costs doubled so my car is now off road. I am getting around on public transport and borrowing my mother's car with occasional lift shares. I find public transport in the evening is poor and not regular.
I am blogging about my adventures at citytravelling.me.uk
Well that is as good a reason as any. My son lived car free in Leeds for a couple of years while he was going to the U over there, loved every minute of it. Now he lives car free in Boston, MA.

Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
Car free for 3 years now. Get the driving out of my system when I am on the fork lift at work! Love the commute on my bike except for those rare days I wake up to a flat and the scramble is on
I keep a spare bike for those flat tire days...

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 01-20-12, 05:21 PM
  #490  
Youaintgotjack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 157

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Just a little introduction from me. I'm going car free for 12 months with my toddler. I'm very overweight and recently realized the only times in my life when I haven't been overweight are those when I was cycling a lot. I also realized that all the time my son doesn't see me involved in a lifestyle that includes exercise he is very likely to grow up leading the sedentary life he see's his Daddy and I leading. I gave up smoking the second I knew he existed before that I'd tried a hundred times to quit and had failed a 100 times...but Jack took away the option to fail. So now I'm giving up my SUV and if I do it for him then I'm taking away the option to fail, at least that's what I keep telling myself.


I'm really glad to have found these forums, great place to find support and people that have such immense knowledge of bikes, its awesome. If you want to hear more about my car less year you can visit my blog, the address is below, leave a comment if you want I love the comments, there are really inspiring people in the world!
Youaintgotjack is offline  
Old 01-20-12, 07:33 PM
  #491  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,229
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack View Post
Hello, Just a little introduction from me. I'm going car free for 12 months with my toddler. I'm very overweight and recently realized the only times in my life when I haven't been overweight are those when I was cycling a lot. I also realized that all the time my son doesn't see me involved in a lifestyle that includes exercise he is very likely to grow up leading the sedentary life he see's his Daddy and I leading. I gave up smoking the second I knew he existed before that I'd tried a hundred times to quit and had failed a 100 times...but Jack took away the option to fail. So now I'm giving up my SUV and if I do it for him then I'm taking away the option to fail, at least that's what I keep telling myself.


I'm really glad to have found these forums, great place to find support and people that have such immense knowledge of bikes, its awesome. If you want to hear more about my car less year you can visit my blog, the address is below, leave a comment if you want I love the comments, there are really inspiring people in the world!
Welcome! I especially love it when new people with kids and families come onto the forum. If you ever do feel discouraged, or can't figure out a carfree way to do something, feel free to start a new thread. I can practically guarantee that you'll get some emotional support and worthwhile suggestions.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-20-12, 08:53 PM
  #492  
Youaintgotjack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 157

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Welcome! I especially love it when new people with kids and families come onto the forum. If you ever do feel discouraged, or can't figure out a carfree way to do something, feel free to start a new thread. I can practically guarantee that you'll get some emotional support and worthwhile suggestions.

Thank You, Thank You - I can practically guarantee I'm going to NEED emotional support and worthwhile suggestions lol ! I'm happy to be here! Thank you!
Youaintgotjack is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:51 AM
  #493  
JeanSeb
Senior Member
 
JeanSeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Quebec
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Youaintgotjack ! I hope you enjoy this very special section of the forums.
JeanSeb is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 07:10 AM
  #494  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,852

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack View Post
Hello, Just a little introduction from me. I'm going car free for 12 months with my toddler. I'm very overweight and recently realized the only times in my life when I haven't been overweight are those when I was cycling a lot. I also realized that all the time my son doesn't see me involved in a lifestyle that includes exercise he is very likely to grow up leading the sedentary life he see's his Daddy and I leading. I gave up smoking the second I knew he existed before that I'd tried a hundred times to quit and had failed a 100 times...but Jack took away the option to fail. So now I'm giving up my SUV and if I do it for him then I'm taking away the option to fail, at least that's what I keep telling myself.


I'm really glad to have found these forums, great place to find support and people that have such immense knowledge of bikes, its awesome. If you want to hear more about my car less year you can visit my blog, the address is below, leave a comment if you want I love the comments, there are really inspiring people in the world!
Sounds like a worthy method of motivation to me!

Good luck and let us know if we can help...only thing I won't do is ride in your cold weather...too much of a wuss!

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 03:19 PM
  #495  
Youaintgotjack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 157

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeanSeb View Post
Welcome Youaintgotjack ! I hope you enjoy this very special section of the forums.
thank you!!
Youaintgotjack is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 03:20 PM
  #496  
Youaintgotjack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 157

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Sounds like a worthy method of motivation to me!

Good luck and let us know if we can help...only thing I won't do is ride in your cold weather...too much of a wuss!

Aaron
Here in the corner of SE Washington we have brutally hot summers (up to about 105f) and frigid winters (20f lately...sometimes negative 10ish) So I guess I shall get used to it
Youaintgotjack is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 03:43 PM
  #497  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,852

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack View Post
Here in the corner of SE Washington we have brutally hot summers (up to about 105f) and frigid winters (20f lately...sometimes negative 10ish) So I guess I shall get used to it
I can do the 105...I live in the Deep South I just consider anything much below 50 too cold!

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 01-22-12, 12:27 PM
  #498  
Youaintgotjack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 157

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my new ride for my car free year! panniers arrive next week. my son loves it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
its a bike!.jpg (97.2 KB, 12 views)
Youaintgotjack is offline  
Old 01-22-12, 02:31 PM
  #499  
Annalise
Junior Member
 
Annalise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 6

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Champione Del Mondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I can do the 105...I live in the Deep South I just consider anything much below 50 too cold!

Aaron
Eek!!! 105! Your a trooper. Where I am living now folks are dying when the temperature is higher than 70!
Annalise is offline  
Old 01-22-12, 04:02 PM
  #500  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,852

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
Eek!!! 105! Your a trooper. Where I am living now folks are dying when the temperature is higher than 70!
Acclimation!

I have lived a good portion of my life in the Deep South and have almost always worked out of doors. I was in Denver, CO back in 2009 during the July Heat Wave
It was 85* with humidity around 30%...I was wearing long sleeved T-shirts People thought I was nuts.

When the temps are below 40* I am dragging out the long johns and parkas.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.