Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Put your money where your mouth is--What's the dollar value of carfree/carlite?

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Put your money where your mouth is--What's the dollar value of carfree/carlite?

Old 01-23-09, 07:17 AM
  #26  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,751

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
It's a hypothetical situation. So you can think about what being carfree or carlight means to you in dollar terms.

If you want to.

But you probably don't.
I prefer to think about hypothetical jobs that REQUIRE me to eat free pizza and drink free beer all day and allow me to do it from home and force me to ride my bike while on the clock. I think those job REQUIREMENTS are as common as your hypothetical situation.

And yeah, I might consider a pay cut for such a job.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 07:52 AM
  #27  
Scout!
a critical mass of one
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 101

Bikes: marin eldridge grade with xtracycle freeradical

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patc View Post
No job has made a hypocrite of me yet, why start now?
I've never been ideological about shunning the automobile, so I court no danger of hypocrisy.

For me, a $20,000 per year difference in pay could persuade me to take up the car.
Scout! is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 10:12 AM
  #28  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
Thread Starter
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,236
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes at Work says that the average person pays 17 per cent of his/her income for a car. So I'd need 17 percent more for the car job, just to cover expenses.

Then I'd add $10,000 for the inevitable hassles of working for somebody who thought he could tell me how to live my life.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 01:23 PM
  #29  
zeppinger
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,013

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Bikes at Work says that the average person pays 17 per cent of his/her income for a car. So I'd need 17 percent more for the car job, just to cover expenses.

Then I'd add $10,000 for the inevitable hassles of working for somebody who thought he could tell me how to live my life.
I wonder were Bikes at work got their numbers? I read in "Living well without owning a car" that the average was closer to 1/3 of their income. I think that he got his numbers for AAA but I am not 100% sure.
zeppinger is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 02:26 PM
  #30  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The less you make the greater the percentage of your income a vehicle is going to suck down. My company figures a company truck is worth about $15k a year to the person the has it. They only charge for commuting miles per the IRS regulations. It is based on a percentage of lease value and varies based on the age of the vehicle and type.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 03:17 PM
  #31  
Lamplight
Senior Member
 
Lamplight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually left a higher paying job with better benefits just so I could bike to work. I haven't regretted it for one second since, though admittedly the differences weren't huge. But when you factor in the operating costs of the truck I sold and the fact that I'm no longer on blood pressure medicine, the difference is huge. That move was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I'm not sure how much money it would take for me to reverse it. I know it would take a lot, perhaps at least twice as much.
Lamplight is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 04:34 PM
  #32  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
Thread Starter
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,236
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I actually left a higher paying job with better benefits just so I could bike to work. I haven't regretted it for one second since, though admittedly the differences weren't huge. But when you factor in the operating costs of the truck I sold and the fact that I'm no longer on blood pressure medicine, the difference is huge. That move was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I'm not sure how much money it would take for me to reverse it. I know it would take a lot, perhaps at least twice as much.
Wow, you do put a high value on carfree but it seems reasonable to me.

Do you like your job? What was it that lowered your blood pressure--the job itself, or the fact that you could ride instead of dirive a car?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 05:16 PM
  #33  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,569

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger View Post
I'd say B.
Reminds me of something I read recently.
"Let's say you were unemployed and received two job offers:
--Job A pays more, and allows you to drive to work.

--Job B pays so little, one is forced to ride a bicycle to work, and is less welcoming and affirming of the Single Driver Lifestyle."

Did you cross-post this in HummerForums?
Seriously, it's been so long since I've been a regular driver or passenger in a car, I now get nauseous if I'm ever in one. Seems I'm becoming 'car-tose' intolerant. I'd need 50G for A.
I sometimes feel like. I think it's partly because you are used to more fresh air on a bike and the car seems stifling. Plus if you are the driver, you constantly have your right foot stuck out... an unnatural pose.


I think there is also a health issue around spending a lot of time in a car that you might want to add to the cost of the car. If you are commuting more than a half-hour a day, you are living an unhealthy lifestyle.
gerv is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 05:54 PM
  #34  
Lamplight
Senior Member
 
Lamplight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Wow, you do put a high value on carfree but it seems reasonable to me.

Do you like your job? What was it that lowered your blood pressure--the job itself, or the fact that you could ride instead of dirive a car?
I think the less stressful commute along with the exercise is what lowered it. Maybe I do overvalue being car free a little, but I really really hate driving, so maybe not.
Lamplight is offline  
Old 01-25-09, 01:27 PM
  #35  
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,465
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I consider myself forturnate, I was able to get employment with higher paying salary and benefits that was 1/5 the commute distance of my previous employment. Since I've significantly scaled down my personal expenditures from my already thrifty ways, I can take considerably lower paying employment (should I lose my current employment) that's closer to home than look for higher income much further away that would possibly require driving a motor vehicle.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 02-02-09, 05:32 PM
  #36  
tieka
Not a bike snob
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From the DTC to Fort Collins
Posts: 58

Bikes: Nishki road bike, Old Sears road bike, Trek 830 Mountain bike, Light Ride folding bike, Mismatched Commuter Bike, and a very cool Porta Cycle Folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading some of the posts on this subject, I couldn't help but post my thoughts.

I would choose Job B no matter what. Like others have said, if the company promotes healthy and friendly living they are usually that way with other things.

Besides, if I didn't like Job A there would not enough money out there that would keep me there. Maybe that is why I am still unemployed right now
tieka is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 12:48 AM
  #37  
bragi
bragi
 
bragi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Let's say you were unemployed and received two job offers:
--Job A pays more, but requires you to drive a car that you own to work.

--Job B pays less, but is welcoming and affirming of carfree people and bicycle commuters.
Which job would you take, if all else was equal? In dollars (or your country's currency), how much more would Job A have to pay for you to accept it? What's the reasoning behind your answer?
Oh come on, Roody; did you really expect anyone to choose A? Personally, I'd choose job A, move closer to that job, and ride my bike to work as before. Unless the job specifically required driving a car to accomplish the work, they'd never know the difference.

If I absolutely had to stick to your parameters, I'd pick B, of course. No one will work for an assh0le if they have a choice.
bragi is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 01:40 AM
  #38  
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Let's say you were unemployed and received two job offers:
--Job A pays more, but requires you to drive a car that you own to work.

--Job B pays less, but is welcoming and affirming of carfree people and bicycle commuters.
Which job would you take, if all else was equal? In dollars (or your country's currency), how much more would Job A have to pay for you to accept it? What's the reasoning behind your answer?
In a heartbeat: B

Why? I believe car commuting detracts from quality of life: mine and others. Aside from the inevitable time it will take to inch along in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I would be in a cage and disengaged from my community, I'd be spewing pollution into the air---even with a hybrid---and I'd be stressed out. No thanks. Right now, I save more than $12g per year, I enjoy going to and coming home from work, am less stressed and can enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of my neighbourhood, because if I took a job that was within cycling distance it would, essentially be in my neighbourhood. I'd have the freedom to stop when and where I want without struggling to be in the right lane, searching for parking, worrying about feeding the meter once per hour. No thanks. I have a better attitude at work and am more productive because I ride to work. Slavery makes me grumpy, after all.

But if I was offered a dream job with an outrageous salary, as you suggest, what makes you think I;d remain in my house and commute by car? I'd move closer---the responsible thing to do---and ride to work.
EnigManiac is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 03:16 AM
  #39  
mesasone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 433

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would probably say 10k (5$/hr) if paid hourly, perhaps a bit more if it were a salaried position (thinking $12K). 15k would definitely do it.

It would also depend on the pay of job B. If we're talking about a position that paid 20k/year, it would be difficult to accept that position even if I had to shell out for a car to get to job A.
mesasone is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 04:19 AM
  #40  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,759
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
There are jobs that require a vehicle to get to work, and don't require it to be used on the job.

Workers in industries such as agriculture, timber, and construction, are required to commute to and from worksites by car, but won't use them during the day as part of their employment.

Thing is, the worksites can change day by day, and the distances can vary by large amounts so bicycle commuting within the timeframes permitted becomes almost, if not, impossible.

Job ads for these industries often specify "must have own car, no transport supplied", even though that does not form a functioning part of the job description.

Obviously, I would take Job B with the proviso that the personalities within the organisation were such that we all could get along fine. That sometimes might be more difficult to achieve than on first glance at the philosophical niceties.

-----------------------------

When I did a small business management course about 10 years ago, the tutor used the business plan of a courier to show the pitfalls and expense of vehicle operation.

I can't remember the exact figures, but let's say out of a turnover of $30,000 a year, the vehicle consumed more of the money than the operator took as wages which were probably less than $10,000.

Fuel, servicing, repairs, replacements and contingencies, registration, insurance, garaging, parking, permits, other fees, and depreciation all took their slice before he did.

I think everyone concluded he needed to at least double the turnover to increase his wages, but that, of course, carried additional operating costs.

In the end, I think the turnover needed to get to around triple the original estimate to enable him to achieve the same level of comfortable living as in his current full-time job.
Rowan is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 05:33 AM
  #41  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
There are jobs that require a vehicle to get to work, and don't require it to be used on the job.

Workers in industries such as agriculture, timber, and construction, are required to commute to and from worksites by car, but won't use them during the day as part of their employment.

Thing is, the worksites can change day by day, and the distances can vary by large amounts so bicycle commuting within the timeframes permitted becomes almost, if not, impossible.

Job ads for these industries often specify "must have own car, no transport supplied", even though that does not form a functioning part of the job description.

Obviously, I would take Job B with the proviso that the personalities within the organisation were such that we all could get along fine. That sometimes might be more difficult to achieve than on first glance at the philosophical niceties.

-----------------------------

When I did a small business management course about 10 years ago, the tutor used the business plan of a courier to show the pitfalls and expense of vehicle operation.

I can't remember the exact figures, but let's say out of a turnover of $30,000 a year, the vehicle consumed more of the money than the operator took as wages which were probably less than $10,000.

Fuel, servicing, repairs, replacements and contingencies, registration, insurance, garaging, parking, permits, other fees, and depreciation all took their slice before he did.

I think everyone concluded he needed to at least double the turnover to increase his wages, but that, of course, carried additional operating costs.

In the end, I think the turnover needed to get to around triple the original estimate to enable him to achieve the same level of comfortable living as in his current full-time job.

Exactly! I know of certain local party who is making "lots of money" delivering pizzas by car. But when it came time to buy new tires for his car, and pay for some repairs he didn't have any money Vehicles are expensive to own and maintain, unfortunately in our autocentric society it is difficult to get by without one. Different jobs and different parts of the country will affect this also. FWIW I maintain a fairly heavy truck at the request of my company, I am reimbursed for the cost, however I that may be coming to a screaming halt, they want to cut the compensation...I may be looking for a new job. I refuse to subsidize my company, that IS NOT the way it is supposed to work, but millions of workers do it every day.

Edit: However I do what I can to make myself as vehicle light as possible, when possible. This past year I was able to transfer over 3,000 miles to Amtrak vs driving. And at least some mileage to bicycle when I was close enough to stores and restaurants.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 02-04-09 at 03:00 PM.
wahoonc is offline  
Old 02-04-09, 01:11 PM
  #42  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
Thread Starter
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,236
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi View Post
Oh come on, Roody; did you really expect anyone to choose A?
I expected everybody to pick B, since you're allowed to specify the amunt of extra pay you'd need to take it. I assume that everybody has their price, and I was wondering what that price is.

Like I said, I'd need extra pay in the amount of all my car expenses, plus $10,000 a year.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 04:41 PM
  #43  
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's going to have to pay a LOT more to make up for the difference:

Cost of bicycle, customized off a used Hoss: $1,100
Cost of used Chevy S-10 that never worked: $19,500 (including financing)

Yearly maintenance on bicycle: $400
Yearly maintenance on S-10: $4,000+

Yearly insurance on bicycle: $0
Yearly insurance on S-10: $1,400

Yearly gasoline cost for bicycle: $0
Yearly gasoline cost for S-10: $2,000+

Not having to give rides to mouching goldbrickers: Priceless

Besides, what the hell kind of job requires you to have your own car? Pizza delivery?
Cosmoline is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 06:09 PM
  #44  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline View Post
It's going to have to pay a LOT more to make up for the difference:

Cost of bicycle, customized off a used Hoss: $1,100
Cost of used Chevy S-10 that never worked: $19,500 (including financing)

Yearly maintenance on bicycle: $400
Yearly maintenance on S-10: $4,000+

Yearly insurance on bicycle: $0
Yearly insurance on S-10: $1,400

Yearly gasoline cost for bicycle: $0
Yearly gasoline cost for S-10: $2,000+

Not having to give rides to mouching goldbrickers: Priceless

Besides, what the hell kind of job requires you to have your own car? Pizza delivery?
Any job that you requires you to work multiple locations, ie; construction, logging, possibly agriculture and many others. When I worked as an Assistant Manager for a large chain drug store we quite often had to work at more than one store in the district. The store I was originally assigned to was about 7 miles from my house, the furthest was over 60 miles.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 07:44 PM
  #45  
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you had to use your own vehicle, pay for gas, etc? That sucks.
Cosmoline is offline  
Old 02-19-09, 05:53 PM
  #46  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline View Post
And you had to use your own vehicle, pay for gas, etc? That sucks.
IIRC we did get some money for mileage based on the distance from our "home" store to the other. However if they transferred you to a different store you were on your own. They did that to me and that was one of the reasons I quit working for them.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 02-19-09, 06:56 PM
  #47  
Robert Foster
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern california
Posts: 3,498

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe many construction and trade jobs pretty much require a vehicle. Maybe that is what they charge so much for their work. Wouldn't it be easier to see how much the average car free person makes compared to the average car centric person? I believe the latest GDP per person in the US is $48k according to the CIA factbook. So what do we think the GDP of the average car free person might be? Obviously because of the number of working people with cars the the difference in pay can't be all that high to get someone to drive to work.

To me anything over 10k a year more than likely would get me to take job A. In real life it took another 10k to get me to move a second time and ended up 10k the third time. All in all it was worth 30k a year to have a car. But with the exception of my very last move it was always up. I only worked one year close to home but the job required a lot of driving.
Robert Foster is offline  
Old 02-19-09, 08:14 PM
  #48  
Newspaperguy
Senior Member
 
Newspaperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worked my career as a writer and photographer for small newspapers and at every job, I'm required to have a reliable car. I consider this a fair request since I have to cover stories and pictures all around town and beyond. In the places where I've lived, if I have to reach a fire or an accident within minutes, a car is almost always the fastest transportation available.

I'm paid a mileage allowance to cover fuel and vehicle maintenance.

If I could find similar work that didn't need a car, I'd consider it strongly. However, as long as I work for small newspapers, I'll need to have a car at work.
Newspaperguy is offline  
Old 02-19-09, 09:19 PM
  #49  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,569

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy View Post
I've worked my career as a writer and photographer for small newspapers and at every job, I'm required to have a reliable car. I consider this a fair request since I have to cover stories and pictures all around town and beyond. In the places where I've lived, if I have to reach a fire or an accident within minutes, a car is almost always the fastest transportation available.

I'm paid a mileage allowance to cover fuel and vehicle maintenance.

If I could find similar work that didn't need a car, I'd consider it strongly. However, as long as I work for small newspapers, I'll need to have a car at work.
I worked for a small city newspaper in the 1970s and I remember the ace reporter didn't have a car. He used to walk everywhere and when it was too far, the paper paid for taxis. Somehow, I don't think that would fly these days, unless he was on the "green" beat.
gerv is offline  
Old 02-20-09, 06:00 AM
  #50  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
I believe many construction and trade jobs pretty much require a vehicle. Maybe that is what they charge so much for their work. Wouldn't it be easier to see how much the average car free person makes compared to the average car centric person? I believe the latest GDP per person in the US is $48k according to the CIA factbook. So what do we think the GDP of the average car free person might be? Obviously because of the number of working people with cars the the difference in pay can't be all that high to get someone to drive to work.

To me anything over 10k a year more than likely would get me to take job A. In real life it took another 10k to get me to move a second time and ended up 10k the third time. All in all it was worth 30k a year to have a car. But with the exception of my very last move it was always up. I only worked one year close to home but the job required a lot of driving.
I bet the numbers might be skewed. I have friends that live in NYC that make 4-5 times what I do and don't own cars. The area I live in a car is almost a prerequisite, and the average income per year is around $25,000 (I make a fair bit more than that). Jobs come and go, and unless you want to move every few years to follow the job market, you have to drive. In the past 25 years I have had to change jobs 4 times due to companies shutting down, laying off or going bankrupt. Current job requires I maintain a vehicle but I am reimbursed for it...at the moment. My commute has varied from 4 miles to the current 46 miles

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Smitty19
Bicycle Mechanics
19
09-01-17 12:03 PM
mmb
Bicycle Mechanics
7
05-17-14 08:24 PM
devinfan
Classic & Vintage
22
11-29-12 08:34 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.