Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

"History of Cycle Paths in the Netherlands" Short Documentary

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

"History of Cycle Paths in the Netherlands" Short Documentary

Old 06-29-10, 10:22 AM
  #1  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"History of Cycle Paths in the Netherlands" Short Documentary

Here is a 5 minute short documentary on cycle paths in the Netherlands. The growth of these paths help foster the unique use and attitude toward cycling that is still growing there today. Perhaps there is still hope for the rest of us!
From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrqG0DqkSlw&feature=player_embedded


Last edited by folder fanatic; 06-29-10 at 10:53 AM.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 06-29-10, 11:24 AM
  #2  
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,667

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
I liked that video very much, and I watched a few more, then I subscribed to markenlei 's you tube channel.
hotbike is offline  
Old 06-29-10, 11:30 AM
  #3  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Interesting video. Of course, there's a lot of debate in the US over whether separated bike facilities are the best way to go in this country, or whether the push should be for better sharing of the good streets and roads that already exist. From the video, it's easy to see that our history has been different from Holland's, and there are also geographical and cultural differences between the two nations.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-29-10, 12:16 PM
  #4  
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!
 
Foofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 311

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool video.
Foofy is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 12:38 AM
  #5  
zeppinger
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,014

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After watching that video I question whether or not American drivers will ever be able to safely share the roads. Those paths look mighty nice!
zeppinger is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 09:19 PM
  #6  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Interesting video. Of course, there's a lot of debate in the US over whether separated bike facilities are the best way to go in this country, or whether the push should be for better sharing of the good streets and roads that already exist. From the video, it's easy to see that our history has been different from Holland's, and there are also geographical and cultural differences between the two nations.
If were aren't going to build cycle paths, then get rid of the line in the center of the road. That line is what's causing all the problem because the motorist gives very little space to the cyclist in order to stay within that line. I've noticed when streets are repaved and just before they paint the line down the middle of the road, riding becomes much safer as cars give more room for the cyclist.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 09:24 PM
  #7  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Does anyone notice that Banner for AllState insurance? It's amazing that you can save $348.00 dollars using their expensive insurance. I can just imagine how much the policy has to cost in order to get that savings? I remember 20 years ago paying around that much to cover the car for an entire year. Today, 350.00 dollars is just the amount you SAVE after paying 2K ore more for insurance!!

Anyway, those who are carfree don't have to worry.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 05:46 AM
  #8  
dutchmoon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the netherlands, europe
Posts: 8

Bikes: a citybike for shopping and an "santos"custom build mountainbike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solution to a lot of traffic problems

Hello.

I'm Dutch girl (from the Netherlands) and in my country it is as normal that one rides on a bike as going to the toilet. The average number of bikes that a Dutchman owns in 1,5.
On 16 million Dutchman there are 24 million bikes.

Since the 80's local governments have made city centres very unattractive to cars. Cars have to pass many obstacles before they can enter the old centres. Parking area's are not limitless available and are expansive.The result of all this is that most inhabitants go shopping by bike, and if close to home the go to work by bike. By forcing the car drivers to look for alternative transportation the have to leave there precious cars.Of course it makes a big difference if the terrain is a little flat. It is a totally different culture than the American
motorised culture.

An other problem that works for the use of bikes is the cost of fuel in Europe.
One gallon of petrol will cost you about $11,50. Those beautiful American trucks use ridicules amounts of fuel and are not very popular in my country. Lighter and more fuel economical cars will improve the air and the way of living. It is not so strange that the American population (8.5% of the worlds population) uses 25% of all fossil fuel on the planet. This is very hard to accept for the rest of the world. Make your petrol more expensive by taxing it more, and with that money the cycle infrastructure can be financed.
A bike friendly US will bring a lot of European cyclists for there vacation (I will......)

Best of luck to those that try to change it.
dutchmoon is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 08:15 AM
  #9  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchmoon View Post
Hello.

I'm Dutch girl (from the Netherlands) and in my country it is as normal that one rides on a bike as going to the toilet. The average number of bikes that a Dutchman owns in 1,5.
On 16 million Dutchman there are 24 million bikes.

Since the 80's local governments have made city centres very unattractive to cars. Cars have to pass many obstacles before they can enter the old centres. Parking area's are not limitless available and are expansive.The result of all this is that most inhabitants go shopping by bike, and if close to home the go to work by bike. By forcing the car drivers to look for alternative transportation the have to leave there precious cars.Of course it makes a big difference if the terrain is a little flat. It is a totally different culture than the American
motorised culture.

An other problem that works for the use of bikes is the cost of fuel in Europe.
One gallon of petrol will cost you about $11,50. Those beautiful American trucks use ridicules amounts of fuel and are not very popular in my country. Lighter and more fuel economical cars will improve the air and the way of living. It is not so strange that the American population (8.5% of the worlds population) uses 25% of all fossil fuel on the planet. This is very hard to accept for the rest of the world. Make your petrol more expensive by taxing it more, and with that money the cycle infrastructure can be financed.
A bike friendly US will bring a lot of European cyclists for there vacation (I will......)

Best of luck to those that try to change it.
I'm so glad you commented with your first hand experiences. The Dutch model is an inspiration for many bike advocates and carfree proponents around the world. We know most about your bike facilities, but I find it interesting that other things are done to discourage driving, such as providing fewer places to park. (Personally, I think parking is almost as big a problem as drivin since it requires a lot of space,k runoff of rain water, carbon emissions in building materials, and just plain ugliness.)

And actually, I believe if you add up total oil consumption throughout history, the US has used even more than 25 per cent.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 09:09 PM
  #10  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
We know most about your bike facilities, but I find it interesting that other things are done to discourage driving, such as providing fewer places to park.
But isn't this a feature of densification? Last time I visited Chicago by car, it was very difficult to find a place to park. In Des Moines, every mall is surrounded by acres of parking spots. Do perhaps it is not a policy of discouraging car parking as much as needing the space.

I read somewhere that for each car inhabiting a city, the city needs as much as 4-5 parking spots for it, besides the owner's driveway.
gerv is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:11 PM
  #11  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dutchmoon View Post
Hello.

I'm Dutch girl (from the Netherlands) and in my country it is as normal that one rides on a bike as going to the toilet. The average number of bikes that a Dutchman owns in 1,5.
On 16 million Dutchman there are 24 million bikes.

Since the 80's local governments have made city centres very unattractive to cars. Cars have to pass many obstacles before they can enter the old centres. Parking area's are not limitless available and are expansive.The result of all this is that most inhabitants go shopping by bike, and if close to home the go to work by bike. By forcing the car drivers to look for alternative transportation the have to leave there precious cars.Of course it makes a big difference if the terrain is a little flat. It is a totally different culture than the American
motorised culture.

An other problem that works for the use of bikes is the cost of fuel in Europe.
One gallon of petrol will cost you about $11,50. Those beautiful American trucks use ridicules amounts of fuel and are not very popular in my country. Lighter and more fuel economical cars will improve the air and the way of living. It is not so strange that the American population (8.5% of the worlds population) uses 25% of all fossil fuel on the planet. This is very hard to accept for the rest of the world. Make your petrol more expensive by taxing it more, and with that money the cycle infrastructure can be financed.
A bike friendly US will bring a lot of European cyclists for there vacation (I will......)

Best of luck to those that try to change it.
Actually I wish to add some more observations of American bike usage. It has been increasing over just a few years. Why is that? Not because of gas/petrol prices, not because of being green, or fit orientated. No, the reason is.....private vehicle ownership is now priced out of the range of most people. But as I go about my business here in a beautiful mostly fair stable weather part of America, I see the bikes still relegated to wherever they can squeeze into. This includes sidewalk riding exclusively and sometimes very fast riding, jammed "hugging" against & weaving around parked cars, taking up motorized vehicle space on streets (riding in the slow lane blocking faster moving traffic), riding against traffic, whatever. And making themselves more dangerous than motor vehicles in either hitting other cyclists, pedestrians, or even other motor vehicles or causing accidents and fleeing. It is really scary out there now around here.

I think it is really a lack of proper integration (socialized early & actually enforced laws) into proper cycling culture is the underlying problem of safe bike usage over here. The Netherlands have done so for many years. Most other Europeans are not far behind. Forget about most of North America.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-28-10 at 12:22 PM.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 07-29-10, 11:25 AM
  #12  
High Roller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I've noticed when streets are repaved and just before they paint the line down the middle of the road, riding becomes much safer as cars give more room for the cyclist.
I've noticed this too.
 
Old 07-29-10, 04:24 PM
  #13  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
If were aren't going to build cycle paths, then get rid of the line in the center of the road. That line is what's causing all the problem because the motorist gives very little space to the cyclist in order to stay within that line. I've noticed when streets are repaved and just before they paint the line down the middle of the road, riding becomes much safer as cars give more room for the cyclist.
This is confirmation for the theories of Hans Monderman.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tyrion
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
1
08-29-18 10:22 PM
Dynamo2
Touring
4
07-01-15 12:32 PM
TrialPortugal
Alt Bike Culture
3
10-10-12 01:52 PM
Bekologist
General Cycling Discussion
7
02-12-12 01:21 AM
folder fanatic
Living Car Free
1
03-17-11 08:50 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.