Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have weird car dreams?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone else have weird car dreams?

Old 06-12-12, 12:20 PM
  #1  
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,345

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else have weird car dreams?

I've always had these sorts of dreams, but since going car lite (haven't driven since beginning of April, my car's battery is actually dead right now because I haven't bothered to call AAA and get a jump...) they've increased.

All the dreams are different, but they have these features in common:
1. Driving a car with the seat too low/far back, making it difficult to see over the dashboard.
2. The car keeps accelerating unless I'm constantly jamming on the brake
3. I get into a turn going way too fast and start to skid and then I wake up.

You'd think after relying on my bike exclusively it would give way to bicycle-out-of-control dreams, but no such luck.

Anyone else have weird driving dreams, even though they don't drive often/at all?
kookaburra1701 is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 01:36 PM
  #2  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts
At 6,000 miles a year I probably drive way more than most of you, but I had the strangest car dream last week. I dreamed I'd bought an old Jaguar XKE clone, and woke up wondering how I was going to get anywhere in it in Chicago in the winter if I could keep it running. I was very glad it was only a dream.
no motor? is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 05:45 PM
  #3  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
At 6,000 miles a year I probably drive way more than most of you, but I had the strangest car dream last week. I dreamed I'd bought an old Jaguar XKE clone, and woke up wondering how I was going to get anywhere in it in Chicago in the winter if I could keep it running. I was very glad it was only a dream.
This made me think of all the Chicago people who got stranded (in their cars) because of heavy winds and snow. I think it was on LakeShore Dr. (?) the winter before last.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 05:50 PM
  #4  
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,345

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
At 6,000 miles a year I probably drive way more than most of you, but I had the strangest car dream last week. I dreamed I'd bought an old Jaguar XKE clone, and woke up wondering how I was going to get anywhere in it in Chicago in the winter if I could keep it running. I was very glad it was only a dream.
My "sudden unexpected responsibility" dreams take the form of animals, usually. The last one had me winning a publisher's clearing house-type sweepstakes and the prize was a giant squid they delivered while I was at work. I kept trying to call the Hatfield Marine Science Center to come rescue it but they wouldn't pick up their phone. Then I tried to get my coworkers to help me drag it to the ocean (the hospital is like 80 yards from the water). Which is weird because I looooove calamari so you'd think I would have tried to get them to drag it to the local sushi joint.
kookaburra1701 is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 06:12 PM
  #5  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid I used to dream that my little sister and I had to drive the car, with her on thefloor operating the pedals and me kneeling on the seat so I could see to steer. actually, that dream continued into my 20s.

I was a passenger in a bad car accident the other day. I thought I would have nightmares about it, but so far I haven't.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 06:26 PM
  #6  
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner
 
Mos6502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,660

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every so often I have a dream where I'm driving a car, and I can't operate the pedals. Either they're too close together, or my foot gets caught under them, or my knees hit on the dash making it hard to press them. Never an accident or anything like that - just extremely aggravating.
Mos6502 is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 07:14 PM
  #7  
Pobble.808
alleged person
 
Pobble.808's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 463

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For years I regularly, although not frequently, had a dream where I was driving and couldn't stop the car -- hit the brake pedal and it wouldn't slow down.
Very rare now that I don't drive much.
Never have had a dream about brake failure on a bike, or none that I can remember anyway.
Pobble.808 is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 08:31 PM
  #8  
zeppinger
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,013

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
My "sudden unexpected responsibility" dreams take the form of animals, usually. The last one had me winning a publisher's clearing house-type sweepstakes and the prize was a giant squid they delivered while I was at work. I kept trying to call the Hatfield Marine Science Center to come rescue it but they wouldn't pick up their phone. Then I tried to get my coworkers to help me drag it to the ocean (the hospital is like 80 yards from the water). Which is weird because I looooove calamari so you'd think I would have tried to get them to drag it to the local sushi joint.
I had dreams like that when I was waiting tables and going to school. Mostly, I would dream that during a dinner rush I would forget all about a particular table, only to remember hours later into the rush. After this realization I rush to the table and find that it is occupied entirely by starved to death skeletons. The other common one was, of course, going to school naked and/or without the ever important final term paper in hand! I was car-free at the time but maybe if I had had a car I would have had nightmares about forgetting to check the oil and the engine blowing up on the highway? I dunno...
zeppinger is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 06:48 AM
  #9  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I was a passenger in a bad car accident the other day. I thought I would have nightmares about it, but so far I haven't.
Sorry to hear about this. Hope you and the other passengers are OK. Most people feel pretty safe in a car... until something happens. But I guess the same is true for bicycles.

I haven't had a car dream in a while. Occasionally dream I am riding a bike.
gerv is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 10:14 AM
  #10  
fat_bike_nut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco!
Posts: 909

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get car dreams, but my younger brother (who hates cars even more than I do) had one that was a nightmare for him. He dreamed that he was driving down an empty road with absolutely no change in the scenery, and the flat road only went straight (no climbs, descents, twists or turns) for a seemingly endless amount of miles. It was such a nightmare for him that he had to play a car racing video game to snap himself out of it when he woke up.
fat_bike_nut is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 12:23 PM
  #11  
ubringliten
Senior Member
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 214

Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get car dreams but whenever I see a brand new suv or a hummer on the road, I wish have this magical power that involves a knife slashing their tires. Of course it won't happen while in motion.
ubringliten is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 02:04 PM
  #12  
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,345

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I don't get car dreams but whenever I see a brand new suv or a hummer on the road, I wish have this magical power that involves a knife slashing their tires. Of course it won't happen while in motion.

Maybe something like the chap in black is running on his rig?
kookaburra1701 is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 04:45 PM
  #13  
Grass hopper
Notorious
 
Grass hopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 2

Bikes: MTB + half a Jump bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tbh, when I saw this FORUM, about living car free I was quite puzzled. I do understand it though. Its only my self who loves cars passionately (oh and all the other petrol heads) anyway, If it wasn't for me being a poor bum Id have a car. Right now I use my bike and catch the tram. If only I had a car....

I also get car dreams... Not much, but they do happen. The last one I can remember, I was driving and I spun outa control onto a paddock, and the car was spinning around and around, (it was actually allot of fun and I wasn't scared at all.. It felt like? um, A dream?) When the car came to a stop, It parked it self between two fences in a gateway, backwards..... SKILLS.

Last edited by Grass hopper; 06-13-12 at 04:45 PM. Reason: edits happen.
Grass hopper is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 08:12 PM
  #14  
ubringliten
Senior Member
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 214

Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha. Lol!
ubringliten is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 08:53 PM
  #15  
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Helena Montana again.
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed when awakening, that if an airplane is flying overhead or a noisy car or truck is passing by, that my dream was incorporating that sound into it. So I'm seeing such a vehicle in the dream or operating one. This is only memorable because at the time I'm waking up. So I assume that when such noises are happening while in the dream state that the same thing is occurring.

Perhaps you too are experiencing these automotive dreams because some noisy automobile is passing your home while you're sleeping.
Smallwheels is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 10:51 AM
  #16  
enigmaT120
Senior Member
 
enigmaT120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Falls City, OR
Posts: 1,958

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For almost 20 years I was commuting a hundred miles a day by car or motorycycle, and I've never had a car dream.

I did dream the other night that I was riding my Rocky Mountain with the new WTB Nano tires I put on it Sunday. I haven't had a chance to take it up in the hills yet.
enigmaT120 is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 12:16 PM
  #17  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No car dreams for me either. Then again, no bike dreams.

I drove my girlfriends car last weekend. It had been a while since I've driven, and I'm apparently out of practice. I didn't see a car coming from my right and almost got hit.
dcrowell is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 01:37 PM
  #18  
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No car dreams, no bike dreams. My dreams are weird and I generally don't enjoy them.
AdamDZ is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 04:05 PM
  #19  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
This made me think of all the Chicago people who got stranded (in their cars) because of heavy winds and snow. I think it was on LakeShore Dr. (?) the winter before last.
You remembered right. That was a very heavy snowstorm, and they got trapped when they could get on, but not off Lake Shore Drive (a limited access road as they say). I was glad to be home watching with my neighbors.
no motor? is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 04:07 PM
  #20  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts
[QUOTE=Roody;14347976
I was a passenger in a bad car accident the other day. I thought I would have nightmares about it, but so far I haven't.[/QUOTE]
Hope you and the rest of the passengers are doing OK>
no motor? is offline  
Old 06-15-12, 12:05 AM
  #21  
bragi
bragi
 
bragi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
I've always had these sorts of dreams, but since going car lite (haven't driven since beginning of April, my car's battery is actually dead right now because I haven't bothered to call AAA and get a jump...) they've increased.

All the dreams are different, but they have these features in common:
1. Driving a car with the seat too low/far back, making it difficult to see over the dashboard.
2. The car keeps accelerating unless I'm constantly jamming on the brake
3. I get into a turn going way too fast and start to skid and then I wake up.

You'd think after relying on my bike exclusively it would give way to bicycle-out-of-control dreams, but no such luck.

Anyone else have weird driving dreams, even though they don't drive often/at all?
I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, they're never about cars. Maybe you're having car withdrawals.
bragi is offline  
Old 06-15-12, 06:08 PM
  #22  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Hope you and the rest of the passengers are doing OK>
No one was injured, which was miraculous since the other vehicle flipped over on its roof and skidded down the road upside down.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-16-12, 06:18 PM
  #23  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
No one was injured, which was miraculous since the other vehicle flipped over on its roof and skidded down the road upside down.
Glad you are okay.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 06-16-12, 06:24 PM
  #24  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
No car dreams, no bike dreams. My dreams are weird and I generally don't enjoy them.
That's too bad. Many times my dreams are the best part of the day. I've put a lot of work into them. Now it seems that they are a lot friendlier, and often times even when things are going bad in the dream, I realize the fiction and play along with it. My dreams have gotten a lot better as I got older.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 06-16-12, 06:24 PM
  #25  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
I don't get car dreams, but my younger brother (who hates cars even more than I do) had one that was a nightmare for him. He dreamed that he was driving down an empty road with absolutely no change in the scenery, and the flat road only went straight (no climbs, descents, twists or turns) for a seemingly endless amount of miles.
That happened to me a couple times.
Once I was driving across Northern NV.
In the other, I was driving across Western TX.
They weren't dreams.
Shimagnolo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.