Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

About To Be Living Car Free (Again)

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

About To Be Living Car Free (Again)

Old 06-03-13, 08:04 PM
  #1  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About To Be Living Car Free (Again)

Tomorrow I'm meeting my friend at the bank... he's going to be buying my vehicle and I'm going car free once again. I was vehicle-less in 2008-2010 and loved it... not sure what possessed me to buy a vehicle and throw so much money out the window.

Looking forward to once again being a slave no more to the oil and insurance companies.
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 08:06 PM
  #2  
bhchdh 
Senior Member
 
bhchdh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads VA
Posts: 1,788

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
__________________
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
bhchdh is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 08:09 PM
  #3  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome back.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 09:43 PM
  #4  
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OUT-F'N-STANDING!! WELCOME BACK to the PARTY!

It's almost like you're cheating, though -- you get to feel the LIBERATION *TWICE*!
DX-MAN is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 10:27 PM
  #5  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to a fellow Michigander! Am i right in thinking that there are a lot of big fast highways in your area?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 10:28 PM
  #6  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Good luck with your sale. Are you picking up a new bicycle?
gerv is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 10:38 PM
  #7  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Welcome to a fellow Michigander! Am i right in thinking that there are a lot of big fast highways in your area?
Yea, I am right at the M-59 and M-53 intersection. It's really crazy right now because there's construction going on.
I'm also right by the Macomb Orchard Trail as well as Paint Creek trail and the Clinton River Trail.
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-03-13, 10:39 PM
  #8  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Good luck with your sale. Are you picking up a new bicycle?
No new bike... still got the Trek 1.1 that I bought last year.
I'll probably use some of the money I save to upgrade soon
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-04-13, 12:48 PM
  #9  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got home from the bank...
An empty driveway is a great sight to see

The gas station by me up to $4.16 per gallon.
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-04-13, 06:26 PM
  #10  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingFool View Post
Just got home from the bank...
An empty driveway is a great sight to see

The gas station by me up to $4.16 per gallon.
We're well over $4 here in Lansing also. If a few "minor disruptions" in the gasoline supply chain can cause such a big jump in prices, what will happen when there's a major disruption? And who will be prepared for it?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-04-13, 07:58 PM
  #11  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
We're well over $4 here in Lansing also. If a few "minor disruptions" in the gasoline supply chain can cause such a big jump in prices, what will happen when there's a major disruption? And who will be prepared for it?
There are enough bicycles sitting in basements to keep a large chunk of the population moving in a supply chain disruption. What would really suck is trying to get a wheel trued at your LBS during such an event.
gerv is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 08:31 AM
  #12  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
We're well over $4 here in Lansing also. If a few "minor disruptions" in the gasoline supply chain can cause such a big jump in prices, what will happen when there's a major disruption? And who will be prepared for it?
So far I told 3 people that I just went carless...

But how are you going to live without a vehicle?

That's all I heard... and got looked at like I was nuts (that's always the fun part )

People lived without a vehicle for thousands of years... many still do.
It's too bad that we've become a society so addicted and dependent on the auto and gas industries.
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 09:13 AM
  #13  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
There are enough bicycles sitting in basements to keep a large chunk of the population moving in a supply chain disruption. What would really suck is trying to get a wheel trued at your LBS during such an event.
A lot of people would max out their credit cards buying gas before they would think to get on a bike.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 09:17 AM
  #14  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingFool View Post
So far I told 3 people that I just went carless...

But how are you going to live without a vehicle?

That's all I heard... and got looked at like I was nuts (that's always the fun part )

People lived without a vehicle for thousands of years... many still do.
It's too bad that we've become a society so addicted and dependent on the auto and gas industries.
Especially in our part of the world, where the whole economy is based on building cars.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 11:04 AM
  #15  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,425

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
There are enough bicycles sitting in basements to keep a large chunk of the population moving in a supply chain disruption. What would really suck is trying to get a wheel trued at your LBS during such an event.
IMO, it is doubtful if a significant segment of the bicycling population ever had a wheel trued by an LBS as long as it would continue to ride.

If it wouldn't rotate after being kicked a few times, it is more likely, and probably cheaper, that most would buy a new bike from a big box/department store before stepping into a present day LBS for repairs or purchase.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 12:26 PM
  #16  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
A lot of people would max out their credit cards buying gas before they would think to get on a bike.
And get more crankier while driving down the road and taking it out on the people on bikes...
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 08:15 PM
  #17  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
IMO, it is doubtful if a significant segment of the bicycling population ever had a wheel trued by an LBS as long as it would continue to ride.
There would if there was a disruption in the supply of gasoline. All those wobbly wheels sitting in dank basements would be pressed into service.

Perhaps that disruption is in the realm of science fiction, but strange things do happen.
gerv is offline  
Old 06-05-13, 11:23 PM
  #18  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,425

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
There would if there was a disruption in the supply of gasoline. All those wobbly wheels sitting in dank basements would be pressed into service.
My point is that most people wouldn't be so concerned by "wobbly wheels" as the bicycling aficionados found on BF or the customers of the typical sport rider oriented LBS. Certainly not concerned enough to get them trued at at an LBS as long as they could wobble along without spending the money and time required by such an LBS.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 05:36 AM
  #19  
UberGeek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,144

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
There would if there was a disruption in the supply of gasoline. All those wobbly wheels sitting in dank basements would be pressed into service.

Perhaps that disruption is in the realm of science fiction, but strange things do happen.
It happened post-Sandy in NYC.
UberGeek is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 09:18 AM
  #20  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
My point is that most people wouldn't be so concerned by "wobbly wheels" as the bicycling aficionados found on BF or the customers of the typical sport rider oriented LBS. Certainly not concerned enough to get them trued at at an LBS as long as they could wobble along without spending the money and time required by such an LBS.
The main point is that mechanical problems would prevent many people from riding their long neglected bikes in the event of a gasoline supply crisis. And excess demand for the services of bike mechanics might make it difficult for people to get those bikes fixed.

You're probably right that a lot of these folks would just tolerate a wobbly wheel. But hell, most people can't even fix a flat tire, let alone true a wheel. And most of those tires would be flat!
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 11:38 AM
  #21  
UberGeek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,144

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
The main point is that mechanical problems would prevent many people from riding their long neglected bikes in the event of a gasoline supply crisis. And excess demand for the services of bike mechanics might make it difficult for people to get those bikes fixed.

You're probably right that a lot of these folks would just tolerate a wobbly wheel. But hell, most people can't even fix a flat tire, let alone true a wheel. And most of those tires would be flat!
It didn't stop many people post-Sandy...
UberGeek is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 06:08 PM
  #22  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UberGeek View Post
It didn't stop many people post-Sandy...
Note to self: In the event of a major gasoline supply problem, find some rim manufacturers and buy their stock.
gerv is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 06:39 PM
  #23  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
There are enough bicycles sitting in basements to keep a large chunk of the population moving in a supply chain disruption. What would really suck is trying to get a wheel trued at your LBS during such an event.
This is partially true. Those living in suburbs and exburbs would likely be outside a feasible bike commute range and quite probably lack the fitness to do so even if they were within range... at least around here in one of the unhealthiest states in the country.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 08:20 PM
  #24  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingFool View Post
Just got home from the bank...
An empty driveway is a great sight to see

The gas station by me up to $4.16 per gallon.
It's only $3.24 here. I feel cheated. I'm not saving as much.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 06-06-13, 08:35 PM
  #25  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
It's only $3.24 here. I feel cheated. I'm not saving as much.
Glad to hear that- got a road trip to TN penciled in for the weekend of June 22-23 (from here to Lebanon TN and back; picking up youngest stepdaughter)
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.