Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cycling addiction?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Cycling addiction?

Old 06-27-13, 09:18 PM
  #1  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cycling addiction?

I arrived home from work this evening (by bike... duh!) and felt a little antsy. Decided to head out for a quick 15 mile bike ride before dinner.

This has been happening a lot lately and has started me thinking about the other bike related things I do, which includes a lot of time on BF and a good deal of bike wrenching either at the local co-op or at home.

Is this an addiction? Anyone else feel their cycling is getting a little over the edge?

If yes...how bad is it?
gerv is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 09:36 PM
  #2  
PedalingFool
Senior Member
 
PedalingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capac, MI
Posts: 355

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, it's an addiction.
There are much worse things to be addicted to though.

So far this summer I've cycled through thunderstorms, tornado warnings, and a 60 mile night ride while getting eaten alive (forgot the bug juice) by mosquitoes and swallowing enough gnats to count as a late night snack...

I seen some friends today that I haven't seen for a while and they all commented on how "fit and trim" I'm looking these days...
Which and made my addiction even worse.

I don't see any hope in sight or things getting any better in the near future.
I refuse to go to rehab.

Last edited by PedalingFool; 06-27-13 at 09:41 PM.
PedalingFool is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 09:41 PM
  #3  
Kidballistic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98

Bikes: 84 Eddy Merckx, 92 RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if you can call it an addiction any more than you would call someone who drives everywhere addicted to cars. Well, maybe you can. And the amount of time and money one can spend working on his car is probably something like x30 or so versus what one would can reasonably put into a decent commuter bike.

Anyhow, yes, I am addicted. I am trying to set my life up so that I can live car free in the next few years. First I need to short sell this house that I am underwater in, and find my way to Portland in the next few years. Once I get there I will be ditching my car, or at the very least letting it collect dust for the most part.

Currently, I do ride a lot, and seem to spend most of my time thinking about how many and which bikes I want in my stable. I am always looking to buy bikes and re-sell them. So I am always working on a bike, not daily, but often anyhow... Also, I just found out there is a co-op in a city near me that I visit about once a week. I will be going there soon and donating some unwanted stuff, maybe work there a bit, and of course look for stuff for myself...
Kidballistic is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 10:47 PM
  #4  
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I build bikes all day, ride to and from work, and ride for all my errands, and ride with the kids. One of the first three things I think of every day when I get up (mixed in with, "OW, that hurts", and "PEE!")is riding. One of the last things I think of at night is riding. More than half of my bookmarks are bike-related.

Addicted? Read my sig, Line 2.
DX-MAN is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:10 PM
  #5  
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 7,048
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not all compulsive behaviors are addictions. Most car use qualifies, but cycling would be difficult to make a case for. Why? From Merriam Webster:
persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful
Unlike toxic, sedentary transportation habits, cycling isn't generally known to be harmful.
B. Carfree is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:17 PM
  #6  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No addiction here, I ride the bike most places I go, and on rare occasions take the bus, but I've pulled back from my involvement with bicycle advocacy. I have no where I need to ride save the grocery store, and I spend most of my time honing my work skills.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 03:28 AM
  #7  
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Posts: 902

Bikes: Fuji Nevada, Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What can happen is you replace an addiction with another.....but hey if it gets you in shape (and not too much debt)
Astrozombie is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 03:33 AM
  #8  
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,345

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kookaburra1701 is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 08:30 PM
  #9  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
I build bikes all day, ride to and from work, and ride for all my errands, and ride with the kids. One of the first three things I think of every day when I get up (mixed in with, "OW, that hurts", and "PEE!")is riding. One of the last things I think of at night is riding. More than half of my bookmarks are bike-related.

Addicted? Read my sig, Line 2.
I know that syndrome well..


Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
No addiction here, I ride the bike most places I go, and on rare occasions take the bus, but I've pulled back from my involvement with bicycle advocacy. I have no where I need to ride save the grocery store, and I spend most of my time honing my work skills.
Artkansas, I like your post because it is close to what I imagine most carfree cyclists in the world should be like. It's just a vehicle and there are many other things in life that we need to attend to. I have spent a lot of time over the years improving my job skill sets. In recent years, I have a desire to stop career advancement, smell the roses a bit. Perhaps because I anticipate retiring in a few years and want to have some things in place besides a career.

But you make a valid point.
gerv is offline  
Old 06-30-13, 11:20 AM
  #10  
plustax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 222

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bike where i need to and then go on probably 2 longer rides a week. will increase this though cause im trying to start racing.

i do bike every day though even when on the days i dont need to. i can say no to coffee and smokes if i want to though.

Last edited by plustax; 06-30-13 at 11:24 AM.
plustax is offline  
Old 06-30-13, 11:37 AM
  #11  
FatherAlabaster
___________
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's not really an addiction, but forming productive behavioral habits is the only thing that makes me feel like I'm worth anything as a person. I'm a musician, and I play guitar and think about songwriting constantly. I love to draw and I'm trying to get back in the habit of doing it. Being a full-time dad at the moment, I no longer need to commute by bike, so I do what I can to make time for riding for its own sake. For me, it has to be a habit. If I'm not involved in doing something all the time, it's easy for me to fall into the trap of not doing it at all.
FatherAlabaster is offline  
Old 06-30-13, 12:31 PM
  #12  
alhedges
Senior Member
 
alhedges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Naptown
Posts: 1,133

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
I arrived home from work this evening (by bike... duh!) and felt a little antsy. Decided to head out for a quick 15 mile bike ride before dinner.

This has been happening a lot lately and has started me thinking about the other bike related things I do, which includes a lot of time on BF and a good deal of bike wrenching either at the local co-op or at home.

Is this an addiction? Anyone else feel their cycling is getting a little over the edge?

If yes...how bad is it?
I feel that way too, sometimes. I think it's like an addiction, but for me it's seasonal; it happens: (1) when the weather turns nice so that it's a lot more pleasant to bike; and (2) I've been biking enough that I'm in good biking shape and my body seems to like that. And of course when biking makes you feel good, you want to spend more time reading about biking, being around bikes, looking for excuses to ride, etc.

When I was 100% car free, I felt this less often, though.
alhedges is offline  
Old 06-30-13, 07:53 PM
  #13  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,556

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 420 Posts
I don't want to call it an addiction. I am just a bike enthusiast who rides for transportation, for fun, and for recreation.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 07-01-13, 10:02 PM
  #14  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges View Post
I feel that way too, sometimes. I think it's like an addiction, but for me it's seasonal; it happens: (1) when the weather turns nice so that it's a lot more pleasant to bike; and (2) I've been biking enough that I'm in good biking shape and my body seems to like that. And of course when biking makes you feel good, you want to spend more time reading about biking, being around bikes, looking for excuses to ride, etc.

When I was 100% car free, I felt this less often, though.
This is an interesting statement. Are you saying being 100% car free is not conducive to this giddy, addictive elation many of us call cycling?

I do agree at certain times of the year, especially winter, I'm not quite as enthused. But this time of year, I'll stoop to any excuse for ride.
gerv is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 04:53 AM
  #15  
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
In recent years, I have a desire to stop career advancement, smell the roses a bit. Perhaps because I anticipate retiring in a few years and want to have some things in place besides a career.
And I have no anticipation of retirement, therefore I must keep my skills honed and even improved if I don't want my career careening backwards. The Red Queen was right.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 12:57 PM
  #16  
alhedges
Senior Member
 
alhedges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Naptown
Posts: 1,133

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
This is an interesting statement. Are you saying being 100% car free is not conducive to this giddy, addictive elation many of us call cycling?
Yes. I was carfree for 10 years, and sometimes I got so tired of biking that I would walk or take the bus for a month or two, just so I didn't have to ride.
alhedges is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 07:56 PM
  #17  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
And I have no anticipation of retirement, therefore I must keep my skills honed and even improved if I don't want my career careening backwards. The Red Queen was right.
Anticipation of retirement? I'm getting around that time and noticing a few slowing down a bit. I work at a desk job and while it is supposedly pretty easy, sitting down all day typing isn't as easy as some think. At some point it would be a very good thing for me to collect some Social Insurance and work part-time. I currently do some volunteer jobs and would like to continue that.

I always believed what the Dormouse said..
gerv is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 11:17 PM
  #18  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Anticipation of retirement? I'm getting around that time and noticing a few slowing down a bit. I work at a desk job and while it is supposedly pretty easy, sitting down all day typing isn't as easy as some think. At some point it would be a very good thing for me to collect some Social Insurance and work part-time. I currently do some volunteer jobs and would like to continue that.

I always believed what the Dormouse said..
Feed your head?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:41 AM
  #19  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,861

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 594 Posts
folks at my last job called it an obsession of mine. whatever couch potatoes, you're obsessed with sitting on your arse and criticizing others. you only die once so enjoy what you like before you do.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 04:59 PM
  #20  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
folks at my last job called it an obsession of mine. whatever couch potatoes, you're obsessed with sitting on your arse and criticizing others. you only die once so enjoy what you like before you do.
gerv is offline  
Old 07-09-13, 08:38 PM
  #21  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,355
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8081 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
This is an interesting statement. Are you saying being 100% car free is not conducive to this giddy, addictive elation many of us call cycling?
This sounds like the kind of 'giddy elation' one feels for having definitively overcome an addiction. Driving feels like something beyond an addiction because the dependency is built into the distances and social norms and expectations you encounter daily, not just your own behavioral patterns. It's like trying to quit smoking when all your friends, family, and colleagues smoke and view smoking as a normal and necessary part of relaxation and socializing. Overcoming addictions and the social aspects that come with them can feel very empowering and thus . . . great!

Anything can grow into a habit or obsession. If you really feel like you're spending too much time on bike-related matters, why not just explore some other activities (as well)? You can bike somewhere for a nice hike/walk, go swimming, or focus some energy on many other activities. Riding a bike to get to the activity doesn't make biking an addiction or obsession any more than driving there would; so at least consider that by biking, you're saving gas, reducing traffic congestion, getting exercise, getting fresh air and sunshine, etc.

Also, I think habit-forming is an important part of normalizing bike-travel in your daily routines. If you didn't develop an automatic-pilot comfort zone in taking a bike everywhere, the decision to do so would always be a struggle unless you were just really in the mood for a bike ride.

Still, if you're really concerned about addiction with any activity or behavior, make an effort to avoid the behavior in some situations where you would otherwise strongly want or expect it. If much discomfort results, you can repeat the withdrawal exercise more often and work on getting through the discomfort by focussing on other (positive) things.

Last edited by tandempower; 07-09-13 at 08:43 PM.
tandempower is offline  
Old 07-09-13, 09:13 PM
  #22  
plustax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 222

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked on the side of a four lane highway to pick up my package today. Was an aweosme 13 mile ride. Don't think I'll be eager to head to that part of town again though.
plustax is offline  
Old 07-09-13, 09:22 PM
  #23  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax View Post
I biked on the side of a four lane highway to pick up my package today. Was an aweosme 13 mile ride. Don't think I'll be eager to head to that part of town again though.
Why not?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-10-13, 07:07 AM
  #24  
plustax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 222

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It wasn't a very nice shoulder; it was far to thin for the speed the motor vehicles were going.
plustax is offline  
Old 08-11-13, 08:18 AM
  #25  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACK RIDER View Post
Im totally addicted. The bike was in the shop for almost a month. I gained 15lbs! The depression was even worse.
Relax... you're in a safe place now. Many fellow addicts...

Oops... time for a ride. See ya!
gerv is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.