Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The end of car culture?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The end of car culture?

Old 07-11-13, 12:44 AM
  #26  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
This may be the case, especially when younger people decide to have families and seek more space. However, seems like a large chunk of this young population has decided not to have children, to live close to city centers and put more stock in their electronic gadgets than in fast mobility thru automobiles.

I agree it isn't growing that fast, but I am personally seeing more and more people use bicycles to get around... at least when the weather is good. On top of that, there's enough of a core of all-weather cyclists nowadays that people can at least imagine doing it all year around.

A while back I was riding a local trail when a passing cyclist said, " Hey... aren't you that guy? Aren't you the guy who rides all winter in West Des Moines? That's so cool." I guess everyone has their 15 minutes of fame.
That's very cool. Your optimism is refreshing in this gloomy age we live in.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 06:20 AM
  #27  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
That's very cool. Your optimism is refreshing in this gloomy age we live in.
I'm thinking you're more optimistic than I. Otherwise why post on LCF?
gerv is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 12:20 PM
  #28  
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,355
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
This may be the case, especially when younger people decide to have families and seek more space. However, seems like a large chunk of this young population has decided not to have children, to live close to city centers and put more stock in their electronic gadgets than in fast mobility thru automobiles.

I agree it isn't growing that fast, but I am personally seeing more and more people use bicycles to get around... at least when the weather is good. On top of that, there's enough of a core of all-weather cyclists nowadays that people can at least imagine doing it all year around.

A while back I was riding a local trail when a passing cyclist said, " Hey... aren't you that guy? Aren't you the guy who rides all winter in West Des Moines? That's so cool." I guess everyone has their 15 minutes of fame.
It's nice that people recognize the effort and endurance that goes into it instead of just calling you crazy, etc. as also tends to happen when someone does something exceptionally difficult without an explicit reward like a sports prize, etc.

Yes there are people who break down and take the easy road because raising kids puts a lot on your plate regardless. On the other hand, though, I think there are a lot of people who could gradually settle into a car-free lifestyle and then want to maintain their cultural achievements by passing them on to children. That's sort of what happened to me. I was cycling for a long time without really wanting to have kids but once the reproductive 'spirit' hit me, I didn't want to give up my life skills just because other people said it wasn't possible to live the way I lived AND have children.

Bike trailers, trailer-bikes, bike towing bars, and tandems are all perfect for raising children by bicycle. I've seen much neater stuff in Dutch bike culture but much of it hasn't caught on widely enough to be affordably available in US cities.

It will be a big deal if some decent and affordable weather protection shows up on the market. I've been toying with the idea of using a u-bolt on the frame just below the handlebars and bolting two pvc-pipes to them, bending the pipes back to the luggage rack, and then spacing them with rods and tying a tarp as a sun/rain shade. I'm just hesitating because of the potential wind-drag it could cause. If you look at the bike trailers for kids, though, they are basically fully enclosed by fabric so if something like that was made to enclose full size bikes, you would have weather-proof bicycle transit for the masses.

That is cool, btw, they you ride all winter in that climate. Do you use a ski-mask? Do your eyes freeze or do you use ski goggles as well? Do you have to use special tires for ice?
tandempower is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 06:05 PM
  #29  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
That is cool, btw, they you ride all winter in that climate. Do you use a ski-mask? Do your eyes freeze or do you use ski goggles as well? Do you have to use special tires for ice?
Up until last winter, I rode 365 days a year here in Michigan.

The dirty shameful secret of winter riding is that you rarely if ever get cold. As long as you have simple winter clothing and you keep your muscles moving, you will stay warm. Nobody believes me when I say this, but it is true.

I hate ski masks but will wear one in temps below about 15 deg F. Its never cold enough here for goggles, IMO.

The special tires are studded tires, of which many brands and styles are available. You don't need them for commuting, assuming you ride on plowed streets, but they are nice to have. If you do need/want to ride on ice, studs are a good idea.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 09:10 PM
  #30  
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Up until last winter, I rode 365 days a year here in Michigan.
I've been winter riding since 2005. I don't go every day. I probably miss 10 commute days a winter. Coldest day for me last winter was 2 F with a brisk tail wind.

Lately I've been seeing a number of lady commuters in winter... which tells me it must be a good idea whose time has arrived!
gerv is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 10:38 PM
  #31  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
I've been winter riding since 2005. I don't go every day. I probably miss 10 commute days a winter. Coldest day for me last winter was 2 F with a brisk tail wind.

Lately I've been seeing a number of lady commuters in winter... which tells me it must be a good idea whose time has arrived!
I think my first year of winter riding was 2001-2. I never saw another snow rider for the first 3 or 4 years. Then I turned onto the Rivertrail after a fresh snow (they didn't even plow it back then) and I saw that I was riding over another set of bike tire tracks in the snow. Skinny road tires at that! (I was using knobbies with studs at the time.) That was a very exciting day for me. Now I see a number of riders on any given day. It's getting to the point where there are so many of us that we don't even wave to each other any more.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 09:20 AM
  #32  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,849

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3923 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Then I turned onto the Rivertrail after a fresh snow (they didn't even plow it back then) and I saw that I was riding over another set of bike tire tracks in the snow. Skinny road tires at that! (I was using knobbies with studs at the time.) That was a very exciting day for me.
Ah, Robinson Crusoe first spotting Friday's footprint in the sand.
It would have been cool if it actually was a Bike Friday, named for Crusoe's Man Friday.
cooker is offline  
Old 08-14-22, 09:35 PM
  #33  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 725

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
wont let me read it

Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
grumble grumble
rossiny is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cycleobsidian
Living Car Free
107
04-17-13 07:12 AM
Roody
Living Car Free
4
02-14-13 11:23 AM
Ekdog
Living Car Free
25
12-30-11 08:48 AM
vol
Advocacy & Safety
13
09-14-11 02:41 PM
will be was
Advocacy & Safety
2
08-15-10 04:25 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.