Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Invisible bike helmet

Old 11-06-13, 06:53 PM
  #1  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Invisible bike helmet

Something like this might be a good idea.

You could wear a beret while riding and still enjoy the advantages of a helmet.

gerv is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 06:56 PM
  #2  
surreal
Senior Member
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think BSNYC lampooned this a l'il while ago....

Anywho, I think I'd feel like more of a tool if I were seen wearing a beret in public, as opposed to a helmet... At least ppl would understand why I'm wearing a helmet.
surreal is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 10:52 PM
  #3  
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Or I could just wear a helmet.

You know what doesn't fail to deploy when I need it? A helmet.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 11-06-13, 11:07 PM
  #4  
daihard 
Just a person on bike
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,926

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Cars are so yesterday. Bikes are the future."

That.

I also agree that the current helmets are extremely bulky. They are a pain to carry around. I sure wish I had an invisible helmet like that.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 11:21 AM
  #5  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I ride to a bar in the dark, in the rain, in November, I wear my helmet in.... because I want everyone to know that I rode a bike in that crap.
dcrowell is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 12:01 PM
  #6  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,934

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
When I ride to a bar in the dark, in the rain, in November, I wear my helmet in.... because I want everyone to know that I rode a bike in that crap.
Why? Do they then offer you free drinks out of pity or admiration?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 12:03 PM
  #7  
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I like my reputation as a total hardman.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 12:08 PM
  #8  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,934

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
I like my reputation as a total hardman.

M.
Is that related to being known as a renowned Swordsman to the ladies?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 12:25 PM
  #9  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Why? Do they then offer you free drinks out of pity or admiration?
I do occasionally get a free beer. I'm not sure why. The bartenders there ride bikes... maybe it's related.
dcrowell is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 02:28 PM
  #10  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,801

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3720 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
That inflatable helmet is very expensive, and bulky around the neck - I wonder if it will ever catch on.
cooker is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 04:27 PM
  #11  
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 9,565

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
That inflatable helmet is very expensive, and bulky around the neck - I wonder if it will ever catch on.
And I wonder if it supports single use only. Be interesting to see.
gerv is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 10:33 PM
  #12  
treal512
Senior Member
 
treal512's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 239

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. I very much dislike wearing my helmet. Especially when I'm just cruising in a small radius around town.
treal512 is offline  
Old 11-07-13, 10:52 PM
  #13  
daihard 
Just a person on bike
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,926

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post
Interesting. I very much dislike wearing my helmet. Especially when I'm just cruising in a small radius around town.
Being a helmet advocate, I must agree with you. I've even come to believe that helmets can get in the way of making cycling a ubiquitous means of transport.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline  
Old 11-08-13, 10:37 PM
  #14  
bragi
bragi
 
bragi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Something like this might be a good idea.

You could wear a beret while riding and still enjoy the advantages of a helmet.

This looks promising. I sail, and the invisible helmet idea seems to be a hybrid of air bags and auto-inflatable life vests. I like the idea of not having a piece of Styrofoam on my head.I do wonder, though, how it would feel to wear a huge collar around my neck in warm weather...

I dimly remember BSNY mocking the idea, but I can't remember why he hated it...
bragi is offline  
Old 11-09-13, 04:02 PM
  #15  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
That inflatable helmet is very expensive, and bulky around the neck - I wonder if it will ever catch on.
I was thinking the same.

That helmet is going to be more expensive than anthing made by Giro. Plus you have to recharge the battery every day. I also wonder about long term durability and how those electronics will act in cold weather or rain.

I don't think this will increase helmet use. The only people I see buying this are hard core cyclist. I have to admire those girls for spending seven years of their lives on this project. I hope it succeeds.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Old 11-09-13, 05:15 PM
  #16  
daihard 
Just a person on bike
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,926

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I don't think this will increase helmet use. The only people I see buying this are hard core cyclist. I have to admire those girls for spending seven years of their lives on this project. I hope it succeeds.
I'm hoping that the product will be more compact and more refined in the near future, to the point where it can be easily snapped onto a jacket. It will be thin and lightweight, and will require very little effort to carry around.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline  
Old 11-11-13, 10:05 AM
  #17  
Radials983
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sisters, OR
Posts: 47

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Trek 850 Xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our current helmet design is pretty stupid simple and effective. A molded foam core with a plastic shell, and chinstrap. Most importantly it's always on, and doesn't have to deploy. No batteries, no computer chips, no wires to pull loose, no gas charges, no fabric cover to get sweaty. I'm not thrilled about there being a computer chip which is the know-all of whether my head is about to hit something, or if something is about to hit my head. In a car-on-bike accident the car windshield is only the first strike for a cyclist's head. After that it's likely going to strike the ground at least once. How many bounces is this air bag helmet good for? I can't help but believe that a big driving factor for the development of this helmet is to preserve vanity. In doing so they are overly complicating a proven design, and providing more vulnerability to the riders head with an alternative that surly will be more expensive and resource intensive.
Radials983 is offline  
Old 11-11-13, 10:24 AM
  #18  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,801

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3720 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
In the still frame at the start of the video, the blond designer has her long hair draped over the collar. I wonder if, as it inflates, it could catch on her hair or rip some of it out.
cooker is offline  
Old 11-11-13, 12:29 PM
  #19  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radials983 View Post
Our current helmet design is pretty stupid simple and effective. A molded foam core with a plastic shell, and chinstrap. Most importantly it's always on, and doesn't have to deploy. No batteries, no computer chips, no wires to pull loose, no gas charges, no fabric cover to get sweaty. I'm not thrilled about there being a computer chip which is the know-all of whether my head is about to hit something, or if something is about to hit my head. In a car-on-bike accident the car windshield is only the first strike for a cyclist's head. After that it's likely going to strike the ground at least once. How many bounces is this air bag helmet good for? I can't help but believe that a big driving factor for the development of this helmet is to preserve vanity. In doing so they are overly complicating a proven design, and providing more vulnerability to the riders head with an alternative that surly will be more expensive and resource intensive.
A styrofoam helmet isn't going to help much in a car-bike crash.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 11-11-13, 12:57 PM
  #20  
Radials983
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sisters, OR
Posts: 47

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Trek 850 Xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
A styrofoam helmet isn't going to help much in a car-bike crash.
That is very circumstantial to the accident.
Radials983 is offline  
Old 11-11-13, 04:22 PM
  #21  
shipwreck
Senior Member
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Radials983 View Post
Our current helmet design is pretty stupid simple and effective. A molded foam core with a plastic shell, and chinstrap. Most importantly it's always on, and doesn't have to deploy. No batteries, no computer chips, no wires to pull loose, no gas charges, no fabric cover to get sweaty. I'm not thrilled about there being a computer chip which is the know-all of whether my head is about to hit something, or if something is about to hit my head. In a car-on-bike accident the car windshield is only the first strike for a cyclist's head. After that it's likely going to strike the ground at least once. How many bounces is this air bag helmet good for? I can't help but believe that a big driving factor for the development of this helmet is to preserve vanity. In doing so they are overly complicating a proven design, and providing more vulnerability to the riders head with an alternative that surly will be more expensive and resource intensive.
When I was hit from behind by a guy on a motorcycle, I hit the ground head first hard enough to break my collar bone, then rolled a couple of times, slamming the back of my head into the ground, then sliding a few feet, abrading the helmet down about half an inch. All in all it looked like about three major impacts(I was going about 25 or so when I went over the bars). The helmet was literally in fragments held together by a smashed shell.

So, while that did not turn me into a helmet crusader(I still ride without one every once in a while)I do believe that if your going to bother with one, it should be of the K.I.S.S. variety.
shipwreck is offline  
Old 11-12-13, 10:35 AM
  #22  
Blue_Bulldog
Senior Member
 
Blue_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 185

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am understanding these marginally attractive engineers correctly....

Bike helmets need doing away with because they're bulky, uncomfortable, and for some reason their number one complaint is they look stupid. So the solution they propose is a big, bulky neck scarf looking thing that straps around your neck? In summer? Not to mention I would sooner go three rounds with Ivan Drago before I get seen in public wearing something that looks like what my ancestors wore on the boat over here from the old country. Oh, and I pity the fool who tries to quickly look behind them... or even to the left... wearing this contraption.

I mean, if I missed something, correct me... please. But this is their solution? Take something that wasn't terribly uncomfortable to begin with, has zero moving parts, is possibly the most reliable passive restraint available... and replace it with something twice as bulky, restrictive, and uglier than Mickey Rourke??

And this video DIDN'T come from The Onion**********
Blue_Bulldog is offline  
Old 11-12-13, 12:33 PM
  #23  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,934

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog View Post
If I am understanding these marginally attractive engineers correctly....

Bike helmets need doing away with because they're bulky, uncomfortable, and for some reason their number one complaint is they look stupid. So the solution they propose is a big, bulky neck scarf looking thing that straps around your neck? In summer? Not to mention I would sooner go three rounds with Ivan Drago before I get seen in public wearing something that looks like what my ancestors wore on the boat over here from the old country. Oh, and I pity the fool who tries to quickly look behind them... or even to the left... wearing this contraption.

I mean, if I missed something, correct me... please. But this is their solution? Take something that wasn't terribly uncomfortable to begin with, has zero moving parts, is possibly the most reliable passive restraint available... and replace it with something twice as bulky, restrictive, and uglier than Mickey Rourke??

And this video DIDN'T come from The Onion**********
Brought to you by:

People who believe in the need for a product that allegedly provides head protection at all times while bicycling;
and/or with a desire to make some bucks off the people that do have that belief/need.

Expect more creativity along these lines.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 04:44 PM
  #24  
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Posts: 24,221
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe they should go with airbags in the handlebars.

__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 05:08 PM
  #25  
Brannigan
Urban Gearhead
 
Brannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 84

Bikes: '98 Ibis Spanky, '73 Bottecchia, Bruce Gordon (of NM) TT, '98 GT Avalanch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The idea of airbag helmets shall -in the future- be placed in the same category as Biopace chainrings.
Brannigan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.