Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2017 Randonnees

Old 04-24-17, 08:15 PM
  #26  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,686
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,664 Posts
I figure the 400k or 600k will be really hot, but the 300k this weekend was colder than projected. I dropped my chain at the start, and everyone took off like it was a race. Tried to catch up, no deal. The start featured a lot of uphill, so maybe I wouldn't have held on for long anyway. Rode with a couple of people for a while, but then I dropped off. Finished a little faster than I have been in recent years, but not quite as fast as I would have liked. There were headwinds on the first half of the course, I was pretty wiped by the midpoint. I got past all of the high traffic roads before dark, which was at least part of my motivation for training hard this winter.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 02:13 AM
  #27  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I figure the 400k or 600k will be really hot ...
You could come down here! We're running a 400K in August and 600K in September. Right in the dark of winter. We figure they'll be really cold.



Congrats on your 300K!
Machka is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 02:28 AM
  #28  
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,229

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Does 20km before work each day count?
europa is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 02:34 AM
  #29  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Does 20km before work each day count?
No sorry.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 09:37 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,528

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Last weekend's 200 was kinda windy, with an evening reprieve for the last 30 km. Tomorrow's promises to be "why even bother starting" windy, 40 gusting to 60 km/h around noon and staying that way through Sunday evening. Ride or not we usually meet up in the morning and decide what to do at that point. For one ride earlier in the year that I didn't bother even showing up to, I heard tales of not being able to break 10 km/h on flat ground before they turned around.
gecho is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:23 PM
  #31  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,686
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,664 Posts
one of my worst decisions in randonneuring was starting a 200k with 30-50mph winds. And it was in Lancaster county PA, no trees to be found.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 05-07-17, 09:36 AM
  #32  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Windham, NH
Posts: 313

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
The 2017 Randonneuring season began on November 1, so if you're riding randonnees this year, tell us about them.
What a coincidence! I started randonneuring in November 2016 only.
Started with the Sunday series of New England Randonneurs and did their 100K rides each month from November to March of this year, except for February when I was down with flu. After that, I have done 2 200Ks, last one being yesterday in Vermont.

After each 200K i was exhausted. I want to do a few more 200Ks before i jump into longer distances but I dont see any more 200Ks for rest of the season

I guess that's the norm for randonneuring and I should look for permanents if i want to do 200Ks?
Amitoj is offline  
Old 05-07-17, 07:11 PM
  #33  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitoj
What a coincidence! I started randonneuring in November 2016 only.
Started with the Sunday series of New England Randonneurs and did their 100K rides each month from November to March of this year, except for February when I was down with flu. After that, I have done 2 200Ks, last one being yesterday in Vermont.

After each 200K i was exhausted. I want to do a few more 200Ks before i jump into longer distances but I dont see any more 200Ks for rest of the season

I guess that's the norm for randonneuring and I should look for permanents if i want to do 200Ks?
It depends on your area ... where I live there is a 200K in December, another in March, another in April, and the final one in June but each area is different.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-07-17, 07:31 PM
  #34  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Windham, NH
Posts: 313

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It depends on your area ... where I live there is a 200K in December, another in March, another in April, and the final one in June but each area is different.
I am in New England region and October to March is considered off season. The New England Randonneurs have a 100K every month during the off season, which is really nice. And apart from June and July there is at least one 200K every month. So, essentially i am complaining about 2 months during the season
Amitoj is offline  
Old 06-25-17, 07:19 PM
  #35  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Saturday -- Rowan and I cycled what was probably the most difficult / challenging 200 km randonnee (long distance cycling event ) I've ever done. 210 km with 2700 metres of climbing in a heat we haven't experienced since we were in Queensland at Easter in 2016.

We made a guest appearance with the BC Randonneurs and did the 200K event of the Peace to Parliament "hell week". Some riders also did only the 200K, but some did the whole set of four rides from Fort St. John all the way down to Victoria.
https://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/peace2parliament.html

Rowan was all right in the heat. He is usually the one who struggles with hot temperatures. But this time it was me. By about the half way point I knew I was battling heat exhaustion. I think May's surgery put a dent in my fitness level.

Nevertheless we finished the ride within the time limit ... with 30 min to spare! Our total time was 13 hours.

And then went for a 2-3 km walk to find dinner!

Last edited by Machka; 06-25-17 at 11:28 PM.
Machka is offline  
Old 06-26-17, 03:58 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
antimonysarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 654

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I had my first truly-miserable slog on a brevet the weekend before last -- the same 400k that I'd finished strong on the year before, this year I hit a wall of pain with 20 miles to go (after feeling not-great for 20 or so before that -- prior to that I'd been having a fun ride). Finished, but the last 20 miles took me three hours.

Pretty sure at least 75% of the problem is that I haven't been doing core strength work -- while my legs were tired, it was everything else that tipped it over into misery.

I am signed up* for my first 600k this year, in October, so I'm going to work on that in the interim. I'm all out of order this year; the 400k was the first official ACP kilometers, and I may have the hardest time finding a convenient 200k if I decide I care about Paris recognizing my first full series. (I am ride organizer for a RUSA 200 this summer, but we didn't get it on the calendar in time for ACP.) We'll see how the 300k goes first, since it's a daunting beast of a climbfest, which is not at all playing to my strengths.

* Well, technically, the RBA isn't collecting signups yet, but I've made my hotel reservations.
antimonysarah is offline  
Old 06-28-17, 08:30 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Saturday -- Rowan and I cycled what was probably the most difficult / challenging 200 km randonnee (long distance cycling event ) I've ever done. 210 km with 2700 metres of climbing in a heat we haven't experienced since we were in Queensland at Easter in 2016.

We made a guest appearance with the BC Randonneurs and did the 200K event of the Peace to Parliament "hell week". Some riders also did only the 200K, but some did the whole set of four rides from Fort St. John all the way down to Victoria.
Peace to Parliament - 4 brevets from Fort St John to Victoria in June 2017

Rowan was all right in the heat. He is usually the one who struggles with hot temperatures. But this time it was me. By about the half way point I knew I was battling heat exhaustion. I think May's surgery put a dent in my fitness level.

Nevertheless we finished the ride within the time limit ... with 30 min to spare! Our total time was 13 hours.

And then went for a 2-3 km walk to find dinner!
Glad the heat didn't get worse, and you're OK. I did 142 miles (228Kilometers) Sunday. One of those days everything goes right.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 02:36 PM
  #38  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Glad the heat didn't get worse, and you're OK. I did 142 miles (228Kilometers) Sunday. One of those days everything goes right.


I like those days.
Machka is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 02:36 PM
  #39  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Saturday 01 July -- Canada Day!

We cycled our first Canada Day Populaire ... 150 km for Canada's 150th birthday.

There were about 600 riders on this event which ran throughout the lower mainland BC. We got some hills, some flat, lots of wind and lots of sun!

And then we cycled a bit more to get our century.

Distance: 161.5km
Elevation: 1270 metres
Moving Time: 7:49:22
Elapsed Time: 9:06:31
Speed: Avg: 20.6km/h | Max: 50.8km/h


It's been a busy couple weeks!

The goals we completed:

1. We successfully completed yet another Petite Year Round Randonneur cycling distance, making this the 9th month in a row.

2. We successfully completed yet another Century (100 mile) ride, making this the 7th month in a row for that.

And as a bonus, we did two long rides (the 213 km ride last weekend and the 161 km ride this weekend) in Canada with a club I have ridden with in the past, and got to see several people I knew back then.
Machka is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 08:28 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka


I like those days.
I love them.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 08:31 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Saturday 01 July -- Canada Day!

We cycled our first Canada Day Populaire ... 150 km for Canada's 150th birthday.

There were about 600 riders on this event which ran throughout the lower mainland BC. We got some hills, some flat, lots of wind and lots of sun!

And then we cycled a bit more to get our century.

Distance: 161.5km
Elevation: 1270 metres
Moving Time: 7:49:22
Elapsed Time: 9:06:31
Speed: Avg: 20.6km/h | Max: 50.8km/h


It's been a busy couple weeks!

The goals we completed:

1. We successfully completed yet another Petite Year Round Randonneur cycling distance, making this the 9th month in a row.

2. We successfully completed yet another Century (100 mile) ride, making this the 7th month in a row for that.

And as a bonus, we did two long rides (the 213 km ride last weekend and the 161 km ride this weekend) in Canada with a club I have ridden with in the past, and got to see several people I knew back then.
Obviously you both had a few good days too.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 09-27-17, 03:22 AM
  #42  
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,151

Bikes: Lots

Liked 600 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Obviously you both had a few good days too.
We did!
Machka is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
joewein
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
60
12-31-17 07:53 PM
Machka
Road Cycling
24
12-09-16 02:39 PM
Machka
Road Cycling
14
02-02-16 04:18 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.