Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Ever hear of this lighting/charging arrangement??

Old 09-14-17, 03:44 PM
  #1  
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey
Thread Starter
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever hear of this lighting/charging arrangement??

There's 3+ forums I could post this under, but I'll start here:

I was watching either a touring video clip or a ultracycling video, and the rider had a battery pack in a frame bag or top-tube bag. This guy was able to run his headlight and charge a phone or other device and he claimed he got 36-hours of use off each charge. I searched all over the web and cannot find such thing. Perhaps I misunderstood what he was doing.... any ideas?
__________________
'10 Specialized Hardrock
steve-in-kville is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 07:28 PM
  #2  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are tons of different battery packs out there. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...MR0F578W288G11


I've used it on a 24-hour ride to power my Garmin. No problems at all there. The Garmin charges up quickly and stays on while charging. It doesn't drain much battery


Lights will be the big issue. I have a Cateye Volt 1600 that I love. It's super bright on high and gets great battery life on low. It can go 15 hours on 200 lumens, which I'm comfortable with on most roads. I've recharged it with the battery bank and it drains a lot of juice. The battery is 6800mAh. You need a big battery bank to run that plus a GPS plus rear lights.


The problem is that the battery pack itself takes a long time to charge. You really need a full night to charge it from 0 to full. That's fine if you're touring, but if you're doing some really long ultra ride and not sleeping much, you're going to run into problems.
DXchulo is offline  
Old 09-15-17, 02:49 AM
  #3  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,100

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 151 Posts
Sounds like a Klite setup.
kLite.com.au Dynamo Lighting Systems

znomit is offline  
Old 09-15-17, 04:46 PM
  #4  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought he was referring to this video:


DXchulo is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:43 PM
  #5  
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Posts: 11,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
There's an ad in the current American Randonneur magazine from www.sinewavecycles.com, but I know nothing about their products.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 10:53 PM
  #6  
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 20,062

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 500 Posts
I brought a 12000 mAh battery pack on PBP 2015. The embarrassing thing is that I didn't realize the difference between mini- and micro-USB connectors before departing, so it was useless the whole time.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 04:38 AM
  #7  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,136

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 259 Times in 219 Posts
Not sure what you want. Do you just want a big battery(s) so you can charge up several devices several times? Or are you looking for something that will convert you pedaling energy into electricity like a dynohub powered USB charging system? Or both?

If your goal is lots of battery(s), they are out there.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 11:49 PM
  #8  
wipekitty
vespertine member
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: nowhere, USA
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo View Post


Lights will be the big issue. I have a Cateye Volt 1600 that I love. It's super bright on high and gets great battery life on low. It can go 15 hours on 200 lumens, which I'm comfortable with on most roads. I've recharged it with the battery bank and it drains a lot of juice. The battery is 6800mAh. You need a big battery bank to run that plus a GPS plus rear lights.

I have wondered about using a big battery pack to run lights. Do you run the USB cable so that it's charging while running, and if so, is there a problem if it rains (or a good way to prevent such problems)? Or would it be more efficient to have two of each light (front and rear), and leave one to charge in a bag while the other is on?
wipekitty is offline  
Old 09-25-17, 10:43 PM
  #9  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I brought a 12000 mAh battery pack on PBP 2015. The embarrassing thing is that I didn't realize the difference between mini- and micro-USB connectors before departing, so it was useless the whole time.
I did the same in 2011, argh. Mostly for my phone and my camera, neither of which I could charge. Now, everything is tested on multiple short rides before I take it on a long ride.

I bought a Zendure A2 pack that should be good for a 1200k. I bought it because it can be charged while charging, but I doubt I'll need that.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 09-26-17, 04:52 PM
  #10  
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey
Thread Starter
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh! I found the DVD that inspired this thread. It was Mike Hall's tutorial from Inspired to Ride. He had a rather large battery headlamp that had a USB port option to charge accessories. He was against dyno hubs as he was picky about wheelsets.

So I guess he charged the headlamp so he could charge other stuff as needed.
__________________
'10 Specialized Hardrock
steve-in-kville is offline  
Old 09-26-17, 06:42 PM
  #11  
c.miller64
Senior Member
 
c.miller64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 478

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Ahh! I found the DVD that inspired this thread. It was Mike Hall's tutorial from Inspired to Ride. He had a rather large battery headlamp that had a USB port option to charge accessories. He was against dyno hubs as he was picky about wheelsets.
Things have changed over the past few years and dynamo hubs are now available to fit just about every spoke count and brake type wheel there is. In fact, I pretty sure Mike Hall was running a dynamo hub in his final race at Indy Pac.
c.miller64 is offline  
Old 09-27-17, 04:52 AM
  #12  
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey
Thread Starter
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon Co., Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64 View Post
Things have changed over the past few years and dynamo hubs are now available to fit just about every spoke count and brake type wheel there is. In fact, I pretty sure Mike Hall was running a dynamo hub in his final race at Indy Pac.
That was what, the 2012 TransAm? And I do remember spoke count being an issue for him.
__________________
'10 Specialized Hardrock
steve-in-kville is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 06:01 PM
  #13  
bikenh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Anyone, like me, every think about the idea of using a very quick recharge battery that never needs to be plugged in...just recharged. I've been thinking about the idea for a while now, just haven't tried it yet. It should be easy to build and extremely cheap...just pennies...literally. I'm talking a coin battery. Multiple cells back to back and 'side by side' to increase voltage and current. All it would take is a refreshing of the vinegar/electrolyte to recharge the battery which could happen in a matter of seconds. It should be very big and it should last several days nonstop before you would have to recharge it according to what I've seen thus far on the internet. It would need 'cleaned' once a month or so.

The key secret isn't the amp storage but the constant current/voltage supply of the battery. If the battery is constant keeping itself producing electricity than you don't need big amp storage capacity, just constant production which the coin batteries are reported to keep on working for 2-3 days straights. No big battery packs, just smarter battery packs.
bikenh is offline  
Old 10-05-17, 06:38 PM
  #14  
FlamsteadHill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vermont
Posts: 308

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh View Post
Anyone, like me, every think about the idea of using a very quick recharge battery that never needs to be plugged in...just recharged. I've been thinking about the idea for a while now, just haven't tried it yet. It should be easy to build and extremely cheap...just pennies...literally. I'm talking a coin battery. Multiple cells back to back and 'side by side' to increase voltage and current. All it would take is a refreshing of the vinegar/electrolyte to recharge the battery which could happen in a matter of seconds. It should be very big and it should last several days nonstop before you would have to recharge it according to what I've seen thus far on the internet. It would need 'cleaned' once a month or so.

The key secret isn't the amp storage but the constant current/voltage supply of the battery. If the battery is constant keeping itself producing electricity than you don't need big amp storage capacity, just constant production which the coin batteries are reported to keep on working for 2-3 days straights. No big battery packs, just smarter battery packs.
Sounds like a business model, waiting to happen. Seriously, a patent may be something to look into.

BTW, I have no scientific knowledge of the system whereof you speak. But if it's what you purport, I wouldn't give too many details until you have the patent in hand.
FlamsteadHill is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 01:35 PM
  #15  
bikenh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill View Post
Sounds like a business model, waiting to happen. Seriously, a patent may be something to look into.

BTW, I have no scientific knowledge of the system whereof you speak. But if it's what you purport, I wouldn't give too many details until you have the patent in hand.
Anyone that has any brains knows you don't try to patent any free energy device unless you want to end up dead. You can find out all about it on youtube...that's where I came up with the idea. Just search for coin battery. It's just the simple matter of upping the voltage and current and using it for something useful rather than what everyone on youtube is using it for.
bikenh is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Jixr
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
17
05-14-17 12:04 PM
Tandem Tom
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
4
04-07-17 07:12 PM
gif4445
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
10
02-09-17 07:55 PM
rhm
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
17
10-23-15 08:01 AM
ratdog
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
7
09-01-12 09:10 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.