Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Foot problems-Need wedge/shoe advice

Old 08-26-18, 04:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 600

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Foot problems-Need wedge/shoe advice

Foot problem being pain behind the little toe on my right foot (multiple surgeries and problems with the right lower leg) on the metatarsal/phalange joint. Actually a pretty good sized bump on top of the foot. As a look at my pedal stroke, I'm pronouncing my foot inward (more weight bearing on the outside of the foot). Doing research, they call that a forefoot varus. Correction mostly advised by wedges on either cleat (preferred) or in shoe. I'm taking steps to look into that. I'm also looking into replacing shoes. I've done some searches on BF, and most of them have some age to them. Anybody out there with similar problems and how you successfully addressed them and/or a shoe that has worked great for long distance/endurance cycling, please advise. This wasn't a big problem until the miles started piling up. Now it's the "bottom hole in the bucket".
gif4445 is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 09:23 AM
  #2  
Kamen Rider
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 1,071

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I'd advise going to see a professional bike fitter for this. Cleat wedges come in various degrees of correction, and there may be more to it than just adjusting wedging it -- cleat position, saddle height/fore/aft, and other overall bike fit may apply -- something that a professional fitter is more qualified to assess and dispense advice.
atwl77 is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 10:35 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 720

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
A) I broke both of my heels. B) After the heels were surgically re positioned back to where they were suppose to be, plates were installed to help hold the heels in place. C) eventually the plated started cutting their way through my peronious longus tendons, resulting in my big toe ball not planting properly. D) I ended up overloading the fifth metatarsal (small toe). In other words my foot is varus like yours. I am riding with cycling shoes that are tall enough to accomodate a shoe insert that I custom made with a lowered area for the small toe (underside). I think that you are lucky that I saw this and have (I think) similar problem. If you need more detail please feel free to contact me directly. P.S. Do not continue to ride without altering your shoe/ foot bed. You will develop a pressure bursa sack (really painful)/ not a lot of fun.
Brian25 is offline  
Old 08-28-18, 10:54 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 720

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Foot trouble

Originally Posted by gif4445
Foot problem being pain behind the little toe on my right foot (multiple surgeries and problems with the right lower leg) on the metatarsal/phalange joint. Actually a pretty good sized bump on top of the foot. As a look at my pedal stroke, I'm pronouncing my foot inward (more weight bearing on the outside of the foot). Doing research, they call that a forefoot varus. Correction mostly advised by wedges on either cleat (preferred) or in shoe. I'm taking steps to look into that. I'm also looking into replacing shoes. I've done some searches on BF, and most of them have some age to them. Anybody out there with similar problems and how you successfully addressed them and/or a shoe that has worked great for long distance/endurance cycling, please advise. This wasn't a big problem until the miles started piling up. Now it's the "bottom hole in the bucket".
I don't know if you have figured out what you are going to do about your foot problem? If you still need help, I did a post on bike forums (I did not know if you had read it) If you still need help you can call me or write back. Brian 928) 200-3636
Brian25 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 05:04 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 600

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I'd advise going to see a professional bike fitter for this. Cleat wedges come in various degrees of correction, and there may be more to it than just adjusting wedging it -- cleat position, saddle height/fore/aft, and other overall bike fit may apply -- something that a professional fitter is more qualified to assess and dispense advice.

I will have a pro fit in a couple days. My Rando bike is a great fit, except for the foot deal. I'm a little reluctant to change too much, but I'll let the guy do what he needs to do.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 05:07 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 600

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
I don't know if you have figured out what you are going to do about your foot problem? If you still need help, I did a post on bike forums (I did not know if you had read it) If you still need help you can call me or write back. Brian 928) 200-3636

Thanks Brian, I sure appreciate it. I'll keep in touch, but for now I will see how the bike fitting I'm having this week goes.
gif4445 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dcteague
Road Cycling
2
06-19-19 12:46 PM
Campag4life
Road Cycling
77
01-14-19 07:25 AM
on2wheels
Road Cycling
33
05-10-14 12:24 AM
BGrayvy
Pacific Northwest
3
03-22-11 09:39 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.