Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Help with shoe selection

Old 04-17-20, 09:30 AM
  #1  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Help with shoe selection

Time to buy some cycling shoes. I favor the mountain bike variety, with the recessed cleats and friendly to walking. On multiple day long distance events, I have had some real problems with small toe metatarsal on my bad foot. I have a wide foot and sources have suggested Lake brand shoes. A lot of different options to sort through, as I look at their website. An actual store is several hundred miles away, so it will be purchase online I'm afraid. So I'm looking for some guidance from those of you that know and have found some good shoes that fit the bill. I'm open to other brands/options also. Thanks in advance.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 02:39 PM
  #2  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 212 Posts
Buy up a size too, you don't want the front of the shoe anywhere near your toes.
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-17-20, 03:45 PM
  #3  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,019

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Buy up a size too, you don't want the front of the shoe anywhere near your toes.
A lot of shoe fit depends on pedaling style. I'm a level foot pedaler, pedaling with my heel cups during much of the stroke. My shoes fit perfectly on the bike, but are so short that I can't walk far in them because my toes are definitely touching the end of the shoe. If the shoes were longer, they'd be sloppy on my feet. I can wear thick wool in winter and thin poly in summer, all good. So it's hard to buy online. OTOH if the retailer has a good return policy and one knows what the fit one's looking for feels like, it'd be at least possible. Also, what feels right in the shop, as I'm trying to emphasize, may not feel right on the bike. That makes it tough, because they probably won't take back shoes with cleat marks on them, and good shoes cost the earth. All I can recommend is what I and most of the randos I know wear: Sidi Dominators. They don't move on my feet at all. Their Mega series is the wide-foot version.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 04-17-20, 06:06 PM
  #4  
sch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Mountain Brook. AL
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 27 Posts
I find 2E to 4E most comfortable and bought an online Lake shoe of the ATB variant about 10 yrs ago. It was styled
as extra wide and fits fine, though as noted a larger size is still helpful and this allows a gel insert that improves comfort
on longer rides. For warm weather cycling sandals completely solve the width problem and include lots of velcro
style size adjustments. Shoes are worse than saddles in terms of fit, as what is fine for 100k may be pretty awful
after 300 miles.

For what little it is worth, my US shoe size is 10 or 10.5, nominally Euro 43, but a Shimano 43 was awful after
30-40 miles. Replaced with Shimano ATB in 46, fit fine, and the Lakes are 45W. Both of the larger are a bit
longish but not too much and the insert helps a lot. I find long walks with a backpack result in modest hand
swelling and I suspect the same thing happens with feet on longer rides (centrifugal forces?)

Last edited by sch; 04-17-20 at 06:15 PM.
sch is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 08:09 AM
  #5  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sch View Post
I find 2E to 4E most comfortable and bought an online Lake shoe of the ATB variant about 10 yrs ago. It was styled
as extra wide and fits fine, though as noted a larger size is still helpful and this allows a gel insert that improves comfort
on longer rides. For warm weather cycling sandals completely solve the width problem and include lots of velcro
style size adjustments. Shoes are worse than saddles in terms of fit, as what is fine for 100k may be pretty awful
after 300 miles.

For what little it is worth, my US shoe size is 10 or 10.5, nominally Euro 43, but a Shimano 43 was awful after
30-40 miles. Replaced with Shimano ATB in 46, fit fine, and the Lakes are 45W. Both of the larger are a bit
longish but not too much and the insert helps a lot. I find long walks with a backpack result in modest hand
swelling and I suspect the same thing happens with feet on longer rides (centrifugal forces?)
Great point about the foot swelling. My last go-to shoes were laced and I left them a little loose. The same can be done with velcro as well of course. You are spot on about the short ride/long ride comparisons. My measurements would get me in a Euro 44-44.5 (11-11.5), with a 110 mm width. But then I have a custom insert that I've used for the last 20 years to ward off plantar fasciitis. So probably good to measure the insert and compare I suppose. I'm sure we all differ in how much our feet swell. Probably good to go for a double century and then measure?
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 08:56 AM
  #6  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,163

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 125 Posts
I use dominators, but I don't think they are good for wide feet. A friend of mine switched to lakes when his feet got too wide for his dominators. If you go to their website, they have a great fit matrix and sizing chart to help find the right shoes.
kingston is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 10:32 AM
  #7  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,019

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 256 Posts
My feet shrink during long rides. I think it's because I'm not standing on them. I'll have to reach down and ratchet a little after a couple hours.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 12:51 PM
  #8  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 212 Posts
that would be nice, my feet expand at about 95 miles. I have some really nice shoes that I don't use on long rides anymore because of that. I think shrinking is a definite outlier.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 03:02 PM
  #9  
Oso Polar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 231

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I found out Lake sizing guide to be spot on: https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts
But I didn't follow their "add 5mm to your actual length measurement to get recommended size" recommendation - just directly selected the size according to the length I've measured. It turned out their regular width MX 238 was wide enough for me, I didn't need to order the wide size. For comparison, in Shimano shoes I've not only needed wide but also a full size up.
Oso Polar is offline  
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 04-18-20, 06:13 PM
  #10  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
I found out Lake sizing guide to be spot on: https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts
But I didn't follow their "add 5mm to your actual length measurement to get recommended size" recommendation - just directly selected the size according to the length I've measured. It turned out their regular width MX 238 was wide enough for me, I didn't need to order the wide size. For comparison, in Shimano shoes I've not only needed wide but also a full size up.
Could you add some context? What is a long ride in a day to you? 100 miles, 400 km, other?
unterhausen is offline  
Old 04-18-20, 11:13 PM
  #11  
Oso Polar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 231

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
100 miles will be a good ride for me. I've never ridden 400 km in one day. Yet. ;-)
Also, same as Carbonfiberboy, I usually find that after some time riding, shoes become a bit more loose and I need to slightly tighten them. I'm not sure why - are feet shrinking or shoes stretching (due to leather warming up?) - but this happens...

Anyway, they recommend to add 5 mm to the measured foot length, not to the width. I don't think that even if feet swell they become noticeably longer. So, I just measured the feet as they say and then selected the size with matching length range. It also matched the feet width I've measured in standard width: 104 mm for size 45 - I've measured 103 for one foot and 105 for another. Wide shoes at the same size 45 are listed as 116 mm wide - this would have been way too wide.
Oso Polar is offline  
Old 04-19-20, 07:03 AM
  #12  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
Anyway, they recommend to add 5 mm to the measured foot length, not to the width. I don't think that even if feet swell they become noticeably longer. So, I just measured the feet as they say and then selected the size with matching length range. It also matched the feet width I've measured in standard width: 104 mm for size 45 - I've measured 103 for one foot and 105 for another. Wide shoes at the same size 45 are listed as 116 mm wide - this would have been way too wide.
What model of shoe did you get? I'm trying to sort through all that they offer.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-19-20, 04:58 PM
  #13  
ROT_01
Junior Member
 
ROT_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 9

Bikes: Burley '05, Jamis hardtail '02, Hercules (German mixte from the early 80's). No dreambikes, but plenty of dream rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Specialized shoes work for me

I find Specialized brand shoes to have a very comfortable toe box. I went with their mid-level cross country mtn bike shoe with shimano spd cleats as my multipurpose shoe for touring and randonneuring. It has a good stiffness and enough volume for my wide flat feet. I use their body geometry foot beds too. I have the worst luck buying shoes online. I need to just start buying 2 different sizes and send one back. I never get it right first try. Giro shoes run awfully small in my experience. Specialized have more room to accomodate inserts and larger "high volume" feet. The boa closure system is easy to adjust on the fly and keeps a low profile. Good luck and let us know what you end up figuring out.
ROT_01 is offline  
Likes For ROT_01:
Old 04-20-20, 06:47 PM
  #14  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ROT_01 View Post
I find Specialized brand shoes to have a very comfortable toe box. I went with their mid-level cross country mtn bike shoe with shimano spd cleats as my multipurpose shoe for touring and randonneuring. It has a good stiffness and enough volume for my wide flat feet. I use their body geometry foot beds too. I have the worst luck buying shoes online. I need to just start buying 2 different sizes and send one back. I never get it right first try. Giro shoes run awfully small in my experience. Specialized have more room to accomodate inserts and larger "high volume" feet. The boa closure system is easy to adjust on the fly and keeps a low profile. Good luck and let us know what you end up figuring out.
I intend to order a few different pairs and select the one that fits best. I think that is the reality of online purchasing. Have to swallow the return freight to get what you want. I haven't really looked at Specialized. Should give them a look. I've got about every other thing from them.
gif4445 is offline  
Likes For gif4445:
Old 04-20-20, 11:00 PM
  #15  
tangerineowl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 678

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
My measurements would get me in a Euro 44-44.5 (11-11.5), with a 110 mm width.
What length are your feet in mm?

Are they more toward the flatter side of things?

Narrow heel? or not?
tangerineowl is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 12:32 AM
  #16  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
What length are your feet in mm?

Are they more toward the flatter side of things?

Narrow heel? or not?
My longest foot is 275 mm. Adding the 5 mm that Lake suggests, gets me to 280. I also measured my custom inserts and they are 290 mm. First time I ever measured them. No wonder I struggle to get them in a shoe and might trim them a little. I have high arches and did suffer from Plantar fasciitis, thus the custom insoles. Good question on the heel. Haven't measured them, but they are relatively narrow compared to the width of the widest area of my foot.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 01:42 AM
  #17  
tangerineowl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 678

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
My longest foot is 275 mm. Adding the 5 mm that Lake suggests, gets me to 280. I also measured my custom inserts and they are 290 mm. First time I ever measured them. No wonder I struggle to get them in a shoe and might trim them a little. I have high arches and did suffer from Plantar fasciitis, thus the custom insoles. Good question on the heel. Haven't measured them, but they are relatively narrow compared to the width of the widest area of my foot.
Was asking; thinking also about Specialized options.

I'm 270mm length, with 111/113 width, but flatter feet and pretty narrow heel.
43cm in the old S-Works mtb 6 fits me very well after a little breaking in. Couple of mm or so gap at the front.

Ignoring $$$ for the moment the Specialized Recon 3 in a 43.5 or 44? might work as the heel in that model tends to suit a wider range.
In addition there is more height in the toebox (and subsequently along the length of the shoe?) than the 6.

I mainly thought of it as an option as the carbon sole has their stiffness rating of 10, but the big plus is there is built in flex forward of the cleat (helps when walking around a bit).
The Recon 2 only has their stiffness rating of 6.0.
tangerineowl is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 11:40 AM
  #18  
Oso Polar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 231

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
what model of shoe did you get? I'm trying to sort through all that they offer.
mx 238.
Oso Polar is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 07:25 PM
  #19  
gravelslider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Keen cycling shoes are the perfect solution with their very wide toe box section and super comfortable soles. I used to wear them but switched to Dromartis as I do not need anything special, but if you have worn Keens in regular footwear you will know what to expect in their cycling shoes. Just buy your normal size, no mis-sizing needed to get the extra room you need.
gravelslider is offline  
Old 04-25-20, 07:05 AM
  #20  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
mx 238.
Thanks!
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-25-20, 07:07 AM
  #21  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
Was asking; thinking also about Specialized options.

I'm 270mm length, with 111/113 width, but flatter feet and pretty narrow heel.
43cm in the old S-Works mtb 6 fits me very well after a little breaking in. Couple of mm or so gap at the front.

Ignoring $$$ for the moment the Specialized Recon 3 in a 43.5 or 44? might work as the heel in that model tends to suit a wider range.
In addition there is more height in the toebox (and subsequently along the length of the shoe?) than the 6.

I mainly thought of it as an option as the carbon sole has their stiffness rating of 10, but the big plus is there is built in flex forward of the cleat (helps when walking around a bit).
The Recon 2 only has their stiffness rating of 6.0.
I talked to the LBS, a Specialized dealer. He said the challenge was Specialized limited number of options in a wide shoe. Whereas Lake as numerous options. I do plan to stop there anyway and try on the one or two possibly, that they have. Thanks!
gif4445 is offline  
Old 04-25-20, 09:45 PM
  #22  
tangerineowl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 678

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
I talked to the LBS, a Specialized dealer. He said the challenge was Specialized limited number of options in a wide shoe. Whereas Lake as numerous options. I do plan to stop there anyway and try on the one or two possibly, that they have. Thanks!
Note my 112mm width fits the 'standard' width Specialized mtb 6 / Recon.

Good luck.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-25-20 at 09:46 PM. Reason: txt
tangerineowl is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:24 AM
  #23  
gif4445
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
Note my 112mm width fits the 'standard' width Specialized mtb 6 / Recon.

Good luck.
Can you clarify the Recon model? I only see Recon 1, 2, 3 and S-works in a mountain bike shoe.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:01 PM
  #24  
tangerineowl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 678

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
Can you clarify the Recon model? I only see Recon 1, 2, 3 and S-works in a mountain bike shoe.
Recon 3.0.

This model as it has the stiffer sole combined with front flex.
tangerineowl is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 05:09 AM
  #25  
bigd777
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I just bought Lake's 238 love them
bigd777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.