Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Training for Mallorca 312

Old 01-22-23, 04:24 PM
  #1  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,889

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19558 Post(s)
Liked 6,222 Times in 3,015 Posts
Training for Mallorca 312

Please forgive me if this is not in the right forum, I know it's not really even 400Km but close.

I have signed up for the Mallorca 312. I am a reasonably strong enthusiast cyclist but have not ever ridden more than 180Km/115miles. Most of my Saturday rides are in the 60-100 mile range.

I have done lots of centuries (100 miles) and have felt strong at the end. I just did an 80 mile ride (5 hours) yesterday and felt FINE with it.

So in advance of the 312 at the end of April, I had planned to do at least a couple of long-ish rides of say 200-250Km.

However when I google "prepare for the 312" I see "expert coaches" state that training more than 5 hours in the saddle is not going to help with endurance and is only going to cause more fatigue.

I am still thinking I need a few longer rides if only to get my butt/back/body ready for a 14 hour ride.

Comments? Suggestions??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 01-23-23, 08:12 AM
  #2  
antimonysarah
Senior Member
 
antimonysarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 642

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
I think most randonneurs would agree that the reason to do rides longer than 5-6 hours isn't to build endurance, it's to learn what you might need at that point -- does your bike really fit you well enough? Not about breaking your butt in at that point, but whether you've got the right saddle, for example. Or finding out what your digestion does after 10 hours of riding.

But people also say to riders at the end of their first 200k "you finished the 200k and don't look like death warmed over, you'll be fine on the 300k". If you felt great at the end of some 100milers with similar climbing profiles to the 312 (I'm not familiar with it but was under the impression that Mallorca is hilly?), you probably know some or all of those lessons, but there might be a few more that would be good to know ahead of it, especially if this is a big destination ride and you're traveling for it and will be really sad if you don't finish.
antimonysarah is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 06:26 AM
  #3  
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Richard Cranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rural Missouri - mostly central and southeastern
Posts: 2,999

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
I am still thinking I need a few longer rides if only to get my butt/back/body ready for a 14 hour ride.
With your experience level (according to your post details) you'll have no problem. If you use the same good judgement that allowed for finishing centuries - all will be fine.

The more probable scenario - is to do something stupid early on the ride - and then suffer the consequences towards the end of the ride.

Much of distance cycling success comes from the skill of pacing yourself as well as fueling and resting in timely and efficient intervals.

Good luck......
Richard Cranium is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 06:42 AM
  #4  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,889

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19558 Post(s)
Liked 6,222 Times in 3,015 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I don't want to get too cocky about it, but I am hopeful I will do fine.

One minor concern is I am going with some friends, and one of them is VERY competitive and IMO high-risk to push too hard early and blow up before the end. I have made it clear to him (and my other 3 friends who are doing the event) that I plan to take it at a modest pace, especially early, so I can finish strong. And with 8000 other riders, I am sure I can find a small group of like-minded cyclists to ride with if that is "too slow" for him.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 01-24-23, 07:04 AM
  #5  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3,077
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Please forgive me if this is not in the right forum, I know it's not really even 400Km but close.

I have signed up for the Mallorca 312. I am a reasonably strong enthusiast cyclist but have not ever ridden more than 180Km/115miles. Most of my Saturday rides are in the 60-100 mile range.

I have done lots of centuries (100 miles) and have felt strong at the end. I just did an 80 mile ride (5 hours) yesterday and felt FINE with it.

So in advance of the 312 at the end of April, I had planned to do at least a couple of long-ish rides of say 200-250Km.

However when I google "prepare for the 312" I see "expert coaches" state that training more than 5 hours in the saddle is not going to help with endurance and is only going to cause more fatigue.

I am still thinking I need a few longer rides if only to get my butt/back/body ready for a 14 hour ride.

Comments? Suggestions??
Doing something like Mallorca 312 or the Marmotte is a big commitment and bucket list type of ride. You can do it now. But I feel you think you are not fit enough to do it with the speed and level of enjoyment you wish.

I would recommend joining RUSA and in particular PaRando with March 4 200k brevet and April 1 300k brevet as interim training goals. The 200k and 300K both leave from Philly with moderate climbing, around 60'/mile vs 80 ft/mile on the Mallorca 312. I would then rest a couple days and resume your normal load and only taper 5 days, something like April 20-25 assuming your travel is within that window. I would be riding Thursday and Saturday at the minimum to keep the legs open for the main event on Sunday.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-24-23, 10:04 AM
  #6  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,889

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19558 Post(s)
Liked 6,222 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Doing something like Mallorca 312 or the Marmotte is a big commitment and bucket list type of ride. You can do it now. But I feel you think you are not fit enough to do it with the speed and level of enjoyment you wish.

I would recommend joining RUSA and in particular PaRando with March 4 200k brevet and April 1 300k brevet as interim training goals. The 200k and 300K both leave from Philly with moderate climbing, around 60'/mile vs 80 ft/mile on the Mallorca 312. I would then rest a couple days and resume your normal load and only taper 5 days, something like April 20-25 assuming your travel is within that window. I would be riding Thursday and Saturday at the minimum to keep the legs open for the main event on Sunday.
I appreciate the invite. I will likely do some centuries in the spring, and possibly even slightly longer rides with my friends rather than an official sanctioned event, but try to get similar distances in.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 01-24-23, 10:07 AM
  #7  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,770

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3525 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 1,106 Posts
It is true that rides over 5 hours won't improve endurance performance. However long hard rides aren't really about performance. A century doesn't count as a long ride. You're still in the "I can do that on any given day" distance range. On a long ride the issues shift to hydration, pacing, fueling, rest stop timing, and uh, pain tolerance. I'd never experienced ride-stopping pain until my first hilly 300. No, I didn't stop. Small pacing and nutrition mistakes, hardly noticeable on a century, become big deals. So that's why it's a very good idea to do a couple really long rides before your event. Plus you'll gain a lot of confidence. No need to ride an organized event. Map out your own routes with equivalent gains. Be sure to put a couple nasty long steep climbs in there, where you run out of gears. Nothing like a nice 18% climb when you're a 150 miles into it. You['ll want resupply points every 50 miles or so.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 02:03 PM
  #8  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,698 Times in 1,878 Posts
I always felt like I got a positive training effect on any ride up to 300k. 400k's always seem to wear me down a little, although I have felt like I got stronger in the middle of 1200k's sometimes.
100km is my preferred training distance, but I have always felt stronger after a 200km brevet. I learned quite a bit riding 200km brevets, mostly about eating. Same with every other long distance, which are all about eating.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 03:22 PM
  #9  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3,077
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Thanks for the tips. I don't want to get too cocky about it, but I am hopeful I will do fine.

One minor concern is I am going with some friends, and one of them is VERY competitive and IMO high-risk to push too hard early and blow up before the end. I have made it clear to him (and my other 3 friends who are doing the event) that I plan to take it at a modest pace, especially early, so I can finish strong. And with 8000 other riders, I am sure I can find a small group of like-minded cyclists to ride with if that is "too slow" for him.
No problem, just an idea for you.

A typical century or two might be a tad shy to handle 312 km with 16,000-20,000 feet of climbing but you could be much stronger than me.

I would take whatever you read on the internet with a huge grain of salt., especially forums. LOL Not too many coaches have experience with ultra endurance distances. I try to read everything on the topic of training for distances and could find links to support any training approach if I wanted. Blanket statements that a 5 hour training ride necessarily produces excessive fatigue is ridiculous because it depends on one's chronic training load and for many people, 5 hours is not excessive while for others it is excessive. Unless you are very very strong, you are looking at a 10-12 hours in the saddle. I'm getting older but am pretty fast for my age, this ride would take me a little over 12 hours sucking wheels. I'd try to get at least an 8-10 hour ride done around 3 weeks beforehand. Or you could break that 8-10 hours up into two rides, morning and evening, say if your buddies only want to do say a 5 hour ride in the morning. Like all internet opinions, take it with a grain of salt.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.