Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Raam

Old 06-16-24, 02:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,371

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,097 Times in 3,218 Posts
Raam

Just encountered a RAAM rider climbing La Veta Pass. Ouch.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-17-24, 12:30 AM
  #2  
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,700

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Trek Marlin 6, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 774 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Just encountered a RAAM rider climbing La Veta Pass. Ouch.
You sat on his wheel and yelled a lot I hope.
znomit is offline  
Old 06-17-24, 01:47 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,769
Liked 709 Times in 566 Posts
When I first saw a TV program on RAAM, can't remember if late '70s or early '80s, I mentioned to my dad the total times and he *scoffed*, "Impossible. You look at the daily distances in the Tour de France!" He didn't understand that RAAM was an exercise in sleep deprivation. I read they tried to change that to scheduled sleep stops, that went away quickly, competitors didn't want it, my guess is it removed their advantage over typical racers, which was the sleep deprivation game.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 06-17-24 at 02:26 AM.
Duragrouch is online now  
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 06-17-24, 04:56 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,461
Liked 1,879 Times in 907 Posts
I'm no fan of pedophiles, but Jacques Boyer took them to school in 1985. After telling them he would. In 2006 he won the Solo Enduro division as well.

I currently ride with a RAAM men's division official finisher who's still very strong. However, as mentioned above, everyone from that time that I met or rode with, their deal was the going without sleep thing. Only Boyer and Mike Secrest had the snap of a mass start crit or road race bike racer. I raced some crits where Secrest, a Cat 2, was very competitive. No disrespect intended for Lon, Pete, Susan or any of them past or present.
__________________

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-17-24 at 10:12 AM.
nomadmax is offline  
Old 06-17-24, 08:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,769
Liked 709 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'm no fan of pedophiles, but Jacques Boyer took them to school in 1985. After telling them he would. In 2006 he won the Solo Enduro division as well.

I currently ride with a RAAM men's division official finisher who's still very strong. However, as mentioned above, everyone from that time that I met or rode with, their deal was the going without sleep thing. Only Boyer and Mike Secrest had the snap of a mass start crit or road race bike racer. I raced some crits where Secrest, a Cat 2, was very competitive. No disrespect intended for Lon, Pete, Susan or any of them past or present.
I never knew the name Boyer. Looking now, I can't believe that he was the first USA participant in the TdF in 1981, only a few years befor LeMond's win. Hard to realize that in all the decades prior, not a single USA participant at any level.
Duragrouch is online now  
Old 06-18-24, 09:59 AM
  #6  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,715
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,673 Posts
I'm not sure he was really first, but he definitely paved the way for U.S. riders to go to europe in the current era. "Current era" meaning there was cycling press in the U.S. I expect there may have been americans during the dark days where nobody in the U.S. paid any attention to European racing. A bit like PBP.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 06-18-24, 04:22 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,461
Liked 1,879 Times in 907 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm not sure he was really first, but he definitely paved the way for U.S. riders to go to europe in the current era. "Current era" meaning there was cycling press in the U.S. I expect there may have been americans during the dark days where nobody in the U.S. paid any attention to European racing. A bit like PBP.
Jock was sure enough the first American. American Mariann Martin won the women's TDF in 1984, two years before Greg.
__________________
nomadmax is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.