Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

PA representin' here!

Old 08-27-06, 05:41 PM
  #26  
papedaler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 188

Bikes: Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
I'm in Quakertown, Bucks County
Stacey, Since you are in Bucks I was wondering if you did the Lake Nockamixon tour today? This is the second year in a row I didn't do it and I believe the second year in a row that it rained on the event. I'm either very lucky or a jinx.
papedaler is offline  
Old 08-28-06, 10:54 AM
  #27  
Jr8Fan
Member
 
Jr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 31

Bikes: Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get my shoutout to the fellow great Pa people in here! I'm in SE Virginia right now, Hampton Roads area. There are only a couple trails in my immediate area adown here to ride on and so far with the one I've ridden it looks like it will be pretty boreing. Nothing like the area I grew up in in NW Pa that's for sure! Anyway, got to go where the Air Force tells me. At least I'm close enough to home. But when I get home it's to visit people and next to no time for riding Anyway, hello and sorry about my rantin' and ravin'
Jr8Fan is offline  
Old 08-28-06, 10:56 AM
  #28  
Jr8Fan
Member
 
Jr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 31

Bikes: Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, anyone know of Kane in here? That's where I'm from, the big metropolis that is is! LOL Yeah, someday
Jr8Fan is offline  
Old 08-30-06, 12:10 AM
  #29  
Dave951
Traffic Frogger
 
Dave951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 64

Bikes: Fuji Team '05, Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Philadelphia checkin in with the rest of PA!
Dave951 is offline  
Old 08-30-06, 08:13 AM
  #30  
cerewa
put our Heads Together
 
cerewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Posts: 3,155

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moscafj- I used to live in Swarthmore. Now I live in Philadelphia, though.

Oh, and I think that Philly is closer to wilkes-barre than Hburg is. Maybe I'm wrong though.

So, unlike some of the people posting on this thread, I ride my bike for transportation purposes all the time and rarely for other reasons.
cerewa is offline  
Old 08-30-06, 12:21 PM
  #31  
skier757
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boiling Springs here (Just outside Carlisle PA)

Just got my first Cyclocross bike as a way back to road biking after years of Mountain biking. Looking forward to a great fall.

B.
skier757 is offline  
Old 08-31-06, 04:33 AM
  #32  
Landspeed7
I wanna talk to samson!
 
Landspeed7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merryland
Posts: 91

Bikes: Jamis Dakar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone near York, PA? I am in Northern Maryland, and go up to Lake Redman to ride quite often.
Landspeed7 is offline  
Old 08-31-06, 11:43 AM
  #33  
Dave951
Traffic Frogger
 
Dave951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 64

Bikes: Fuji Team '05, Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cerewa, are you close to center city? Do you do Crit Mass?
Dave951 is offline  
Old 09-01-06, 04:51 AM
  #34  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by papedaler
Stacey, Since you are in Bucks I was wondering if you did the Lake Nockamixon tour today? This is the second year in a row I didn't do it and I believe the second year in a row that it rained on the event. I'm either very lucky or a jinx.

No, sorry I didn't. I have little to no energy for riding... Leukemia has kicked my arse this summer
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 09-01-06, 03:03 PM
  #35  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 12,083

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Dave951, does your "951" stand for the same thing as mine?

skier757, one of my good friends used to live in Boiling springs (now in Mount Holly, road my bike to there from Wilmington last year). Any chance you know the Kilkos?
joejack951 is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 05:07 AM
  #36  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mt. Holly... Here's hoping for an early parole from the PRNJ. I did 20 to life... released on good behaviour and enjoying life in PA now.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 06:31 PM
  #37  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,790

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by skier757
Boiling Springs here (Just outside Carlisle PA)

Just got my first Cyclocross bike as a way back to road biking after years of Mountain biking. Looking forward to a great fall.

B.
Hey there Brooks. How's Thursday looking?
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 10:05 PM
  #38  
skier757
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Dave951, does your "951" stand for the same thing as mine?

skier757, one of my good friends used to live in Boiling springs (now in Mount Holly, road my bike to there from Wilmington last year). Any chance you know the Kilkos?
Hey there,

Sorry I don't know he Kilkos. But I have only lived in this area for a few years. I like it, nice and quiet, great cost of living, and close enough to anything you need.

B.
skier757 is offline  
Old 09-03-06, 10:24 PM
  #39  
skier757
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Hey there Brooks. How's Thursday looking?
Hey is that you John?

I finally got the new bike all sorted out. I completely redid the brakes. I reset the caliper mounts and aligned the caliper to the disc per Avid's detailed directions. I think the shop must have set them up like BB5s not the BB7s. I also ran the front brake cable over to the right lever, and the rear to the left. This is better for my motorcycle trained hands, and really cleaned up the cable runs using the top mount levers. I also got the cables up under the bars in the stock Cannondale drop bar cable groves by playing with the housing length for a bit. Now the bars are wrapped nice and clean, not the mess they delivered to me. Last I found a real neat way to secure the rear brake cable into the seat tube disc cable fitting using some clear tubing instead of the two zip ties the shop used. I need to call Cannondale and ask how they intended that and the front disc / fork cable management to work, I think some ferrules were missing on the bike, and there is no chain watcher on it. I have never seen a cross bike without one.

Anyway, the bike is all set now and ready for road-trail testing / training runs.

B.
skier757 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 06:46 PM
  #40  
Adiankur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Royersford PA here, about 15 minutes from King of Prussia. Im pretty new to cycling and have stuck mainly to fairly easy trails like the Thun and Perkiomen. Anyone near ride those?
Adiankur is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 07:53 PM
  #41  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,790

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by skier757
Hey is that you John?

I finally got the new bike all sorted out. I completely redid the brakes. I reset the caliper mounts and aligned the caliper to the disc per Avid's detailed directions. I think the shop must have set them up like BB5s not the BB7s. I also ran the front brake cable over to the right lever, and the rear to the left. This is better for my motorcycle trained hands, and really cleaned up the cable runs using the top mount levers. I also got the cables up under the bars in the stock Cannondale drop bar cable groves by playing with the housing length for a bit. Now the bars are wrapped nice and clean, not the mess they delivered to me. Last I found a real neat way to secure the rear brake cable into the seat tube disc cable fitting using some clear tubing instead of the two zip ties the shop used. I need to call Cannondale and ask how they intended that and the front disc / fork cable management to work, I think some ferrules were missing on the bike, and there is no chain watcher on it. I have never seen a cross bike without one.

Anyway, the bike is all set now and ready for road-trail testing / training runs.

B.

Who else could it be?

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. I might get off the touring bike, just so I can show you the nifty chain protector that's on the chain stay of my old Fuji racer. Why this style never seemed to catch on is beyond me - it's a really smart design.

Catch you at work (virtually).
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 08:47 PM
  #42  
drewzilla
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drexel Hill here ( right outside of philly near st joes )

just getting into mountain biking, can anyone recommend somewere to go?
drewzilla is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 10:43 PM
  #43  
Dave951
Traffic Frogger
 
Dave951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 64

Bikes: Fuji Team '05, Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Dave951, does your "951" stand for the same thing as mine?

skier757, one of my good friends used to live in Boiling springs (now in Mount Holly, road my bike to there from Wilmington last year). Any chance you know the Kilkos?
Joejack951, If your 951 means Porsche 951 otherwise known as the 944 Turbo then yes it does.

drewzilla, I hear the trail to ValleyForge is pretty fun and great for begineers. Havent taken it myself though.
Dave951 is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 06:46 AM
  #44  
Adiankur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drewzilla

I have done the trail from greenlane to valleyforge, but not from valley forge to phila. I believe the schuylkill river trail is paved, if you dont mind that. If your looking for offroad, only places I know anything about at all would be a little bit in greenlane, and then french creek, but that may be a haul for you. I dont know about security on the path though, how well traveled, areas it goes through and such. Not a bad idea to ride with someone else unless your sure about where your riding.
Adiankur is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 11:26 AM
  #45  
ohmyspokes
there's a bike in the pit
 
ohmyspokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bethlehem
ohmyspokes is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 04:08 PM
  #46  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 12,083

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave951
Joejack951, If your 951 means Porsche 951 otherwise known as the 944 Turbo then yes it does.

drewzilla, I hear the trail to ValleyForge is pretty fun and great for begineers. Havent taken it myself though.
Then that makes you the second 944 owner I've encountered on this forum. Any chance you've been to the Hershey Swap meet? Any chance you own a stainless steel shifter insert or saw the guy selling them?

I ride my bike way more then I drive these days but still enjoy 944's.
joejack951 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 09:49 AM
  #47  
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy
 
TrekDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,722

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bottom SW corner of the state here. Greene County, Waynesburg, PA. Great country road riding, and not too far from events taking place in, or around Pittsburgh. Plus I scoot down to WV for some nice road riding as well.

See ya,

Denny
TrekDen is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:29 PM
  #48  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Then that makes you the second 944 owner I've encountered on this forum. Any chance you've been to the Hershey Swap meet? Any chance you own a stainless steel shifter insert or saw the guy selling them?

I ride my bike way more then I drive these days but still enjoy 944's.
JoeJack...My Brother has had a few 944's. An "S"...(??)
Right now he has what Holbert says is the cleanest 924 in the country.
Yes.....somebody still has one !! He just won some award for it, but
I cant remember where !! He has been 'told' by the PCA he has to display it at
the meet in the upcoming meet in Bennington VT.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 06:59 PM
  #49  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 12,083

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by -=em in Pa=-
JoeJack...My Brother has had a few 944's. An "S"...(??)
Right now he has what Holbert says is the cleanest 924 in the country.
Yes.....somebody still has one !! He just won some award for it, but
I cant remember where !! He has been 'told' by the PCA he has to display it at
the meet in the upcoming meet in Bennington VT.
That's cool. Yes, there is such thing as a 944S (it's got a 16 valve engine compared to the normal 8 valve). 924's (the early ones) are pretty rare to see. Got any pictures of it?

I have a modified '86 944 turbo which taught me (over the course of 6 years) first that German cars are wonderful to work on compared to American (seriously) and second that I'm an idiot in a car with too much power. So it sits in my garage now waiting for me to do something with it. I also have an '84 944 that's partially restored that I'll probably never finish because I'd rather ride my bike. I'd love to sell it
joejack951 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 07:10 PM
  #50  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
That's cool. Yes, there is such thing as a 944S (it's got a 16 valve engine compared to the normal 8 valve). 924's (the early ones) are pretty rare to see. Got any pictures of it?

I have a modified '86 944 turbo which taught me (over the course of 6 years) first that German cars are wonderful to work on compared to American (seriously) and second that I'm an idiot in a car with too much power. So it sits in my garage now waiting for me to do something with it. I also have an '84 944 that's partially restored that I'll probably never finish because I'd rather ride my bike. I'd love to sell it
Here it is with Bob Holbert standing by it after a service.
He might want to trade you because after he drives these Porsches for a while
he trades them way for something else
Oh yeah....the meet it is going to next is a Hemmings Motor News
event......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Holberts 004.jpg (45.6 KB, 58 views)
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

Last edited by -=(8)=-; 09-07-06 at 07:15 PM.
-=(8)=- is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.