Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

The Mountain Biking Way

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

The Mountain Biking Way

Old 05-19-05, 07:55 PM
  #1  
hebrew_rider
a badass heeb on wheels
Thread Starter
 
hebrew_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 219

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mountain Biking Way

I have recently seen a lot of newbies and non-newbies asking "How can I ride this?" or "How do I do this?" Well, I figured it would end a lot of confusion if I made a thread about all the mountain biking tips. So if you have any tip, weather its from equipment to how to ride a skinny, post it here. And lets get this thing stickied!

To start it off- here's my little piece of advice:
Though many say that its not the bike you ride- but how you ride the bike, I find it is a LOT easier to do many things on a better bike.
hebrew_rider is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:03 PM
  #2  
Scottluebke2004
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is very true. My $2500 bike is consderably better balanced than my $300 bike. This makes it much easier to bunny hop or even carry. That is one of the many benefits.
Scottluebke2004 is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:27 PM
  #3  
Doh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a beginner riding a 30lb Hardtail right now. I want to learn techniques like bunny hop,endoing, etc. Is it going to be EXTremely hard due to its weight?
Doh is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:32 PM
  #4  
hebrew_rider
a badass heeb on wheels
Thread Starter
 
hebrew_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 219

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not extremely hard, but a lighter bike should be a bit easier to hop
hebrew_rider is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:41 PM
  #5  
Doh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is also too large for me. A size that will fit me perfectly is a 17" but this 1 is a 19", will that impede me?
Doh is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:48 PM
  #6  
hebrew_rider
a badass heeb on wheels
Thread Starter
 
hebrew_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 219

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definitely. bunny hopping requires that you use your entire bike as a lever to swing off of. if you cant take full advantage of it, your hop will be reduced dramatically.
hebrew_rider is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 08:52 PM
  #7  
Elisdad
Bike rider
 
Elisdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 353

Bikes: Redline D460, Redline Monocog Flight 29er, IRO Rob Roy, Specialized P1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just started reading Ned Overend's "Mountain Bike Like a Champion" and I can say that it's a great read so far. A worthwhile investment for the $17 I paid for it at Borders Books.
Elisdad is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:07 PM
  #8  
Doh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anything that i can practice with using that bike for now? Maybe stuff like trackstanding or are there other stuff?
Doh is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:18 PM
  #9  
FrankJohns
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 102

Bikes: None

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a pretty comprehensive guide to technique and more.

https://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/mountain-bikes/
FrankJohns is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:19 PM
  #10  
hebrew_rider
a badass heeb on wheels
Thread Starter
 
hebrew_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 219

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trackstanding would be good, however i am not the one to ask on the subject
hebrew_rider is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:48 PM
  #11  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are avoiding the sticky thing. But we do have a best of thread listed at the top of this page

or here
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...73#post1180173

keep up the tips
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 06:12 AM
  #12  
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend
 
dirtbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
Posts: 2,961

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone posted this in another link but I will here. MasteringMountainBikeSkills

Along with Overend's book this one is a must read. Ned's is good but this one has current information and would apply to the new generation of riders a little better then Ned's book.

Also, take a look at this site Trials You may not be a trials rider but they give good explanation of how to do the basics such as bunnyhopping, track stands and riding up objects.

dirtbikedude is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 07:23 AM
  #13  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,120

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts
My biggest tip is that there is absolutely no shame in walking. If you feel that something is over your head get off of the bike and walk. We have all done it and we will all do it again. Eventually you will have the skill to ride the more difficult sections, it just takes time.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 07:48 AM
  #14  
Elisdad
Bike rider
 
Elisdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 353

Bikes: Redline D460, Redline Monocog Flight 29er, IRO Rob Roy, Specialized P1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
My biggest tip is that there is absolutely no shame in walking. If you feel that something is over your head get off of the bike and walk. We have all done it and we will all do it again. Eventually you will have the skill to ride the more difficult sections, it just takes time.
That's good advice. As a newbie my self I have already felt the self-induced shame of walking up a "difficult to me" climb while someone else climbed it with ease. I felt humbled. I'm glad that no one cares that I walked it, that they know I'll get there in time.
Elisdad is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 08:01 AM
  #15  
outdoorboy
ODB to those that know me
 
outdoorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 366

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tasajara (undergoing a total rebuild), Giant NRS, Giant OCR C3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes you have ridin' days and sometimes you have walkin' days.

No one has said the most basic of all mountain biking rules: "the bike goes where the eyes go".

Also something I am trying to improve my balance that a friend told me this weekend: Try riding in real small circles so your front wheel is almost perpendicular to the frame. This is suppose to help build better balance. Make sure you practice going both clockwise and counter-clockwise.
outdoorboy is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 08:03 AM
  #16  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,120

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoorboy
Sometimes you have ridin' days and sometimes you have walkin' days.

No one has said the most basic of all mountain biking rules: "the bike goes where the eyes go".

Also something I am trying to improve my balance that a friend told me this weekend: Try riding in real small circles so your front wheel is almost perpendicular to the frame. This is suppose to help build better balance. Make sure you practice going both clockwise and counter-clockwise.
While doing this you can also place a 2 liter bottle on the ground, start riding by it (straight line, not circles) and pick it up. Once you do this get a smaller bottle. Keep trying it on both sides.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 09:55 AM
  #17  
a2psyklnut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't look at the piece of dirt 2' in front of your tire. Look up the trail. About 10' up the trail. Your subconscious will remember what you see to avoid.

To elaborate what was said above. Look where you WANT to go, don't look where you don't want to go. Again, if you concentrate your vision on an obstacle, like a rock or a root, chances are you'll steer towards it subconsciously. Pick your best path, commit to it and you'll steer your path.

Keep your elbows and knees flexed. Use your body's own suspension.

Relax your grip on the handlebars. A "Death Grip" will tire (no pun intended) you out quickly. Grab tight enough to grip the bars, but not so tight that your forearms get pumped. A good way to avoid this is to keep two fingers on your brake lever.

Learn to bunnyhop without clipless pedals. Also when learning, place a board or a can or some object to jump over. You'll do better if you do. A good thing is a small piece of 2x4. You lay it down and hop it, then you get to the point where you balance it upright and hop it....etc.

Clean your bike! Cleaning all the much off keeps everything working properly and well lubed. Also, it gives you a chance to inspect for any damage or worn out parts.

Bring a friend. Introduce a friend to the sport and it'll reward you will a lot of riding buddies.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a helmet.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline  
Old 05-20-05, 12:25 PM
  #18  
Drunken Chicken
Senior Member
 
Drunken Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spain, although I'm Hungarian
Posts: 1,855

Bikes: Check signature

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
Don't look at the piece of dirt 2' in front of your tire. Look up the trail. About 10' up the trail. Your subconscious will remember what you see to avoid.

To elaborate what was said above. Look where you WANT to go, don't look where you don't want to go. Again, if you concentrate your vision on an obstacle, like a rock or a root, chances are you'll steer towards it subconsciously. Pick your best path, commit to it and you'll steer your path.

Keep your elbows and knees flexed. Use your body's own suspension.

Relax your grip on the handlebars. A "Death Grip" will tire (no pun intended) you out quickly. Grab tight enough to grip the bars, but not so tight that your forearms get pumped. A good way to avoid this is to keep two fingers on your brake lever.

Learn to bunnyhop without clipless pedals. Also when learning, place a board or a can or some object to jump over. You'll do better if you do. A good thing is a small piece of 2x4. You lay it down and hop it, then you get to the point where you balance it upright and hop it....etc.

Clean your bike! Cleaning all the much off keeps everything working properly and well lubed. Also, it gives you a chance to inspect for any damage or worn out parts.

Bring a friend. Introduce a friend to the sport and it'll reward you will a lot of riding buddies.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a helmet.
Now those are some GOOD tips.
Drunken Chicken is offline  
Old 05-29-06, 04:22 PM
  #19  
Chone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doh
I'm a beginner riding a 30lb Hardtail right now. I want to learn techniques like bunny hop,endoing, etc. Is it going to be EXTremely hard due to its weight?
Bunnyhopping is easier on lighter bikes but for learning, heavy bikes are just fine, in fact, you can hop a 30lbs hardtail pretty well if you have skill, seriously, unless you want to hop 4 feet then you don't need a sub 20lbs specialized trials mod bike...

That thing about body suspension... so useful, you wouldn't imagine how smooth drops and jumps become when you learn how to absorb the impact by flexing your body.
Chone is offline  
Old 05-29-06, 04:35 PM
  #20  
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1st, and best piece of advice my kids got from an expert MTBer was to hop off & walk down the big hill in that particular race; it was thier 1st race. The younger one used to pass folks on the uphill, and hop off & walk down the hill until he was, like, 10. So sorry you missed that aspect, lowcel!!
apclassic9 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.