Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Pisgah Brevard DuPont Forest

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Pisgah Brevard DuPont Forest

Old 01-23-20, 12:08 PM
  #1  
Rajflyboy
The Dream is free
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 148 Times in 123 Posts
Pisgah Brevard DuPont Forest

Is this area really that awesome compared to other areas on the East Coast?

or not ?
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 07:27 AM
  #2  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 244 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Is this area really that awesome compared to other areas on the East Coast?

or not ?
It is certainly among the best, IMO.

Pisgah is pretty old-school technical and hairy (at least most of what I have ridden). I absolutely love it, others might not.

Dupont is totally worth a long day riding. Youíve also got Bent Creek (I think thats the name of the place).

Brevard is just a really great little town, especially if you are into MTB. Asheville is nice, too.

And the mountains there are among the most beautiful on the East coast as well.

My buddies and I go down there and camp and ride about every other year. We love it it.
Kapusta is online now  
Old 01-24-20, 12:55 PM
  #3  
Rajflyboy
The Dream is free
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 148 Times in 123 Posts
I live in the state of NC.

Yes the riding is good and there is a ton of it but is it worth the 2.5 hour drive each way and all the horrible traffic on US64? Is it worth fighting for parking on the weekend? Is it worth putting up with the crappy little attitude some of the locals there have? Lots of crime as well to deal with (don’t leave anything in vehicle or a spare bike on your vehicle).

Local trails aren’t bad and we have plenty of miles of them

I’m mostly wanting to stay closer to home now a days.
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 02:11 PM
  #4  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 244 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
I live in the state of NC.

Yes the riding is good and there is a ton of it but is it worth the 2.5 hour drive each way and all the horrible traffic on US64? Is it worth fighting for parking on the weekend? Is it worth putting up with the crappy little attitude some of the locals there have? Lots of crime as well to deal with (donít leave anything in vehicle or a spare bike on your vehicle).

Local trails arenít bad and we have plenty of miles of them

Iím mostly wanting to stay closer to home now a days.
WTF do you start a thread asking if that place is awesome if you already seem pretty convinced it sucks?

If you want to start a thread ragging on Brevard/Pisgah/Dupont then just do it.

I drove 4 hours each way from Roanoke (which also has stellar riding) when I lived there, and have made 14 hour trips from Upstate NY a few times. All abso-freaking-lutely worth it. I have found the locals to be great. Must be you.

I have NEVER had to deal with crowds in Pisgah. We see maybe 1 other group all day out there. Dupont is spread out enough that crowds have never been an issue there either. The only place I found bad on a weekend was Bent Creek.

If you donít like the place donít go.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-24-20 at 03:28 PM.
Kapusta is online now  
Old 01-24-20, 05:09 PM
  #5  
Rajflyboy
The Dream is free
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 148 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
WTF do you start a thread asking if that place is awesome if you already seem pretty convinced it sucks?

If you want to start a thread ragging on Brevard/Pisgah/Dupont then just do it.

I drove 4 hours each way from Roanoke (which also has stellar riding) when I lived there, and have made 14 hour trips from Upstate NY a few times. All abso-freaking-lutely worth it. I have found the locals to be great. Must be you.

I have NEVER had to deal with crowds in Pisgah. We see maybe 1 other group all day out there. Dupont is spread out enough that crowds have never been an issue there either. The only place I found bad on a weekend was Bent Creek.

If you donít like the place donít go.
Not crowds on the trails but crowds, traffic, etc getting too and from the trails. Roanoke has great trails too👍. I guess Iím suggesting that trails closer to home may be more worthwhile than traveling to the so called hot spots (most of the time).
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 06:05 PM
  #6  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 244 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Not crowds on the trails but crowds, traffic, etc getting too and from the trails. Roanoke has great trails too👍. I guess Iím suggesting that trails closer to home may be more worthwhile than traveling to the so called hot spots (most of the time).
Well sure, of course it makes sense to ride the trails near you vs trails 2.5 hours away the vast majority of the time.

I don't know where you are traveling from, is the traffic on the way TOO Brevard?. We go down for 3-4 days and camp in Pisgah at the Davidson River Campground (wonderful place). Never found traffic an issue getting around to the different trails, and again, the only lot I found to be really crowded was Bent Creek (not surprising as it is really close to Asheville), but its not like we could not park. And honestly, it is not the best place to ride there, anyway. We usually spend 1 day at Dupont, 2 days in Pisgah, and it we ride a 4th day, then we'll do Bent Creek.

IDK, maybe we just go at the right times of year? Always in spring or early fall, never during the summer.
Kapusta is online now  
Old 01-24-20, 06:44 PM
  #7  
Rajflyboy
The Dream is free
Thread Starter
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 148 Times in 123 Posts
I do agree that Bent Creek is more crowded and busy. We come up 26 to Hendersonville and take 64 west. Just did it yesterday by the way. More traffic than one would think for a winter weekday. Not many at DuPont when we pulled in. You also have to be cognizant of vehicle break ins (which do happen most places).

Lots of time and effort and some cash to do this trip frequently.
Rajflyboy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.