Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Just got a brand new Schwinn S-25 26" bike.

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Just got a brand new Schwinn S-25 26" bike.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-05, 04:56 PM
  #1  
L2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got a brand new Schwinn S-25 26" bike.

Well, it won't be able to jump of mountains, but very good for cruising and going on grass and rocky roads. Great stopping power, too.
L2006 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 05:17 PM
  #2  
cryptid01
one less horse
 
cryptid01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Jesus NY
Posts: 5,600

Bikes: are better than yours

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice. Thanks for posting.
cryptid01 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 05:33 PM
  #3  
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L2006
Well, it won't be able to jump of mountains, but very good for cruising and going on grass and rocky roads. Great stopping power, too.
S-25? I can't find it on the website for SCHWINN. Can you give me a link?
mx_599 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 05:38 PM
  #4  
L2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mx_599
S-25? I can't find it on the website for SCHWINN. Can you give me a link?
Sure.

Target
L2006 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 06:22 PM
  #5  
harov3
Dismember
 
harov3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 695

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys have it so good in the states.

"Hand-built Trail-Tuned 6061 AL dual-suspension frame"
harov3 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 06:40 PM
  #6  
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L2006
Well, it won't be able to jump of mountains, but very good for cruising and going on grass and rocky roads. Great stopping power, too.
yeah...SCHWINN rules
mx_599 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 07:00 PM
  #7  
harov3
Dismember
 
harov3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 695

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mx5.99$ I want my racing car stamp! I aready told you its Sade "smooth operator"
harov3 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 07:35 PM
  #8  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,707
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Congrats on your new bike! Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 08:09 PM
  #9  
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by harov3
Hey mx5.99$ I want my racing car stamp! I aready told you its Sade "smooth operator"

Racing car stamp?
mx_599 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 08:10 PM
  #10  
L2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if would be able to go on a mountain...
L2006 is offline  
Old 07-07-05, 08:20 PM
  #11  
robo
Senior Member
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 1,122

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
^^ don't push your luck That bike is meant for bike paths only.
robo is offline  
Old 07-08-05, 01:02 AM
  #12  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's not a Schwinn. That's a Pacific with a Schwinn sticker. I'm not being mean, but take it back. Seriously that thing will self destruct if you even think about taking it off road.
http://www.bikesrnottoys.com/
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 07-08-05, 01:09 AM
  #13  
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raiyn
That's not a Schwinn. That's a Pacific with a Schwinn sticker. I'm not being mean, but take it back. Seriously that thing will self destruct if you even think about taking it off road.
http://www.bikesrnottoys.com/
I thought something was fishy. If you go to the SCHWINN website, like I did earlier, that model is not listed
I hope my beloved SCHWINN is not an imposter

Actually, mine was made in the YETI factory...out of scrap that YETI wouldn't use. hehehehe
mx_599 is offline  
Old 07-08-05, 01:21 AM
  #14  
L2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought Pacific Cycle made Schwinn along with Mongoose. Isn't it illegal to put someone elses name on your bike when it's not your name?
L2006 is offline  
Old 07-08-05, 01:25 AM
  #15  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L2006
I thought Pacific Cycle made Schwinn along with Mongoose. Isn't it illegal to put someone elses name on your bike when it's not your name?
They do they also own the name and exploit it to sell garbage to an unknowing public. The bikes sold at X-mart are not the Schwinns you can get at a real bike shop and even then that's not saying a lot. All the brands that were decent back in the day when they weren't owned by Pacific are CRAP now that they took over.

Side note A good full suspension bike with quality components that won't break and kill you off road starts at about $1000
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 07-09-05, 05:26 AM
  #16  
AllForRent
LastDaysInNovember
 
AllForRent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saint John NB, Canada
Posts: 1

Bikes: 2004 Norco Katmandu (with new parts)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitly not made for mountains or rough trails, but youll get around. Im not a fan of full-suspensions anyway but they can be petty fun at times. Kinda sucks its owned by the same company as Mongoose but, good bikes for a good price are getting harder and harder to find. Good luck and enjoy riding!
AllForRent is offline  
Old 07-09-05, 10:21 AM
  #17  
robo
Senior Member
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 1,122

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
From the looks of it it's one step up from the usual department store bike, but it's still pretty bad.

As someone else said, functional dual suspension bikes start at about $1,000. Below that, and the suspension is either not going to work properly at all, or the downsides (poundage) will outweigh (pun intended) the benefits.
robo is offline  
Old 07-05-07, 11:37 AM
  #18  
BeeMeX
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Raivn & Robo, what bikes do you ride?

I've personally owned several Ross MBTs (Mt. McKinley) from back in the day when they were an American company, Specialized Rockhopper, Univega something-or-other. More recently, after my last nice MBT was stolen, I was looking for a more modestly priced MBT with suspension. I first purchased a Mongoose Blackcomb. I found it to be on the very heavy side and poorly designed. Handling was mediocre and the all steel rear triangle components gave it a lead ass.

Returned it, spent another month shopping everything from LBSs to online stores. Stopped in to Target to look at the Schwinn line. I ended up purchasing the S-60 DSX. Have you every looked at the Schwinn S series at Target? This is the best built DSBs lines bar none. Very well made frame, very light, very upgradeable. Some use 7005 aluminum, the newer S-25s are a step down at 6061. My 13 year old son ended up getting the S-25 (older inventory, still had the 7005 aluminum frame).

Our local MBT trails are fairly demanding, but noting like out west. Still, we are running these things over 5 ft hight ramps with no breakage and just normal maintenance. The are very good value at under $300, and can easily be upgraded with better components. I've upgraded my stem and cranks to accomodate my preferences, but I still would have had to do that with a LBS bike.

These would not be good for extreme downhill, which is where your $1000 bikes would come in.

And yes, Pacific Cycle bought up a bunch of good brand names, including Schwinn, Ross, GT, Mongoose, Dyno, etc.
BeeMeX is offline  
Old 07-05-07, 12:47 PM
  #19  
Little Leo
SwampFox
 
Little Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Green Bay WI
Posts: 762

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Swine was bought out by Pacific cycles. Schwinn's Mesa was a good bike, it had all Deore stuff on it. Then when Pacific took over all the Mesas had Suntour crap on them and they realy blowed big time. My Dad bought a Mesa the year Pacific came in, so if he would've bought a year older bike he would have had a nice bike.
Little Leo is offline  
Old 07-06-07, 08:28 AM
  #20  
JR97
Golden Member
 
JR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lick City
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BeeMeX
I ended up purchasing the S-60 DSX. Have you every looked at the Schwinn S series at Target? This is the best built DSBs lines bar none. Very well made frame, very light, very upgradeable. Some use 7005 aluminum, the newer S-25s are a step down at 6061. My 13 year old son ended up getting the S-25 (older inventory, still had the 7005 aluminum frame).

Our local MBT trails are fairly demanding, but noting like out west. Still, we are running these things over 5 ft hight ramps with no breakage and just normal maintenance. The are very good value at under $300, and can easily be upgraded with better components. I've upgraded my stem and cranks to accomodate my preferences, but I still would have had to do that with a LBS bike.

These would not be good for extreme downhill, which is where your $1000 bikes would come in.
I've got an S-60 and commute 3-4 days a week 30 miles rt as well as weekend and mountain trail single track riding. It has yet to self destruct or put my life in jeapordy. I live out here in the west in Salt Lake City, UT and the riding is huge and can be demanding. I don't bomb ski trails dropping cliffs in full body armour or anything, but I don't baby my bike either.

I think the magic number is about $200 if you go dept. store. But no matter what the price range, maintaining the bike is key and maybe that's why mine has lasted so long and put up with my abuse.
JR97 is offline  
Old 07-07-07, 03:40 AM
  #21  
dinotekka
Senior Member
 
dinotekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol target
dinotekka is offline  
Old 03-19-08, 10:07 AM
  #22  
yngwie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey guys I also have a s60 dsx I got 2nd hand in 9.5/10 condition for $100 from a smoker dude....who didnt want to go biking or changed his mind...I took it to the lake (burke lake loop in VA) this weekend and it was a RUSH...its officially my "disposable bike"---also recently got a trek 4300 with road bike wheels for $180 from a guy who upgraded..came with alot of xtras (cyclocomp,topeak airpump,saddlebag,inner tube,end bars) and I can tell the difference in quality by just riding it (hate the Trek seat though) smooth light vs the s60...I will hold on to the s60 for "trails" (the wheels arent true) as Ive already gave it a whirl.....both are excellent (IMO bikes are just like razors>disposable but last alot longer)

bought these on craigslist
yngwie is offline  
Old 03-19-08, 07:05 PM
  #23  
Trekbikedude
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic
 
Trekbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 686

Bikes: Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
omg

Originally Posted by yngwie View Post
hey guys I also have a s60 dsx I got 2nd hand in 9.5/10 condition for $100 from a smoker dude....who didnt want to go biking or changed his mind...I took it to the lake (burke lake loop in VA) this weekend and it was a RUSH...its officially my "disposable bike"---also recently got a trek 4300 with road bike wheels for $180 from a guy who upgraded..came with alot of xtras (cyclocomp,topeak airpump,saddlebag,inner tube,end bars) and I can tell the difference in quality by just riding it (hate the Trek seat though) smooth light vs the s60...I will hold on to the s60 for "trails" (the wheels arent true) as Ive already gave it a whirl.....both are excellent (IMO bikes are just like razors>disposable but last alot longer)

bought these on craigslist
So you're telling me the bike that I have over 3000 dollars in to is disposable if my rim gets bent?

Haha.
Trekbikedude is offline  
Old 03-20-08, 06:34 PM
  #24  
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie
 
DirtPedalerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Out in the woods you see
Posts: 1,440

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
disposable bikes are always clunkers.. you never want to put any money in them to keep them running right so there is always something messed up.

as far a xmart bikes sure you can ride one and have fun, but don't expect them to be the same quality of a good ride.
DirtPedalerB is offline  
Old 03-20-08, 07:47 PM
  #25  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,707
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Whoa.
Deja vu on an old thread.
__________________
"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." ~ Buddha

Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service