Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Opinions sought: Adidas hi-tops

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Opinions sought: Adidas hi-tops

Old 05-20-20, 05:42 PM
  #1  
FatRap64
Member
Thread Starter
 
FatRap64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Humboldt, AZ
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2020 Norco Storm 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Opinions sought: Adidas hi-tops

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on the Adidas FIVE TEN TRAIL CROSS MID PRO shoes.

https://www.adidas.com/us/five-ten-t...duct_rr&slot=2

I have a dead peroneal nerve in my left leg due to a severe knee injury in 1992. I basically have no ankle function at all and a case of drop-foot. My entire footwear collection consists of either high-top basketball shoes or lace-up boots.

I've had some good luck with Adidas basketball shoes in the past and I like the brand. I'd have no issue dropping $100 on the Five Ten Trail. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks much,

John
FatRap64 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:30 AM
  #2  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
Just wondering if I could get some opinions on the Adidas FIVE TEN TRAIL CROSS MID PRO shoes.

https://www.adidas.com/us/five-ten-t...duct_rr&slot=2

I have a dead peroneal nerve in my left leg due to a severe knee injury in 1992. I basically have no ankle function at all and a case of drop-foot. My entire footwear collection consists of either high-top basketball shoes or lace-up boots.

I've had some good luck with Adidas basketball shoes in the past and I like the brand. I'd have no issue dropping $100 on the Five Ten Trail. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks much,

John
Hey John, I can't comment on your medical condition, but 510s are awesome. I have several pairs of them prior to Adidas buying them out a few years back.
If you need ankle support, have you considered ankle supports which many downhill riders use to prevent ankle injuries. Here are few:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...mitwi&istBid=t

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...mixtq&istBid=t

I use EVS braces but they aren't as supportive as the ones above
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/r...ce-p?s=1455465
qclabrat is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 09:44 AM
  #3  
FatRap64
Member
Thread Starter
 
FatRap64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Humboldt, AZ
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2020 Norco Storm 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
Hey John, I can't comment on your medical condition, but 510s are awesome. I have several pairs of them prior to Adidas buying them out a few years back.
If you need ankle support, have you considered ankle supports which many downhill riders use to prevent ankle injuries. Here are few:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...mitwi&istBid=t

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...mixtq&istBid=t

I use EVS braces but they aren't as supportive as the ones above
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/r...ce-p?s=1455465
Thanks much for the recommendation on the 510s I've decided I'm going to give them a try.

I've used many lace-up braces over the years and still own one. They served me well 15 to 20 years ago, but now it's gotten to the point that the swelling and pain they cause just above, even with compression socks (which I wear everywhere except to bed), is too much of a problem. An EVS might help without inducing so much swelling, so that's another option.

I've been told by orthopods and other specialists to just keep trying things until something clicks. I haven't kept track of how much money I've spent on that quest over the last quarter-century and I really don't want to know the exact amount or even a rough estimate.
FatRap64 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 01:07 PM
  #4  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
Thanks much for the recommendation on the 510s I've decided I'm going to give them a try.

I've used many lace-up braces over the years and still own one. They served me well 15 to 20 years ago, but now it's gotten to the point that the swelling and pain they cause just above, even with compression socks (which I wear everywhere except to bed), is too much of a problem. An EVS might help without inducing so much swelling, so that's another option.

I've been told by orthopods and other specialists to just keep trying things until something clicks. I haven't kept track of how much money I've spent on that quest over the last quarter-century and I really don't want to know the exact amount or even a rough estimate.
also look at BMX options for ankle support, they may be more comfortable given that pedaling is usually needed
qclabrat is offline  
Old 05-22-20, 01:56 PM
  #5  
FatRap64
Member
Thread Starter
 
FatRap64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Humboldt, AZ
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2020 Norco Storm 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
also look at BMX options for ankle support, they may be more comfortable given that pedaling is usually needed
Will do thanks.
'
I've had far more misses than hits over the years, but the experimentation won't stop until I'm pushing daisies.
FatRap64 is offline  
Likes For FatRap64:
Old 05-22-20, 03:21 PM
  #6  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28 N, 83.78 W (A2)
Posts: 2,319

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
I've been told by orthopods and other specialists to just keep trying things until something clicks. I haven't kept track of how much money I've spent on that quest over the last quarter-century and I really don't want to know the exact amount – or even a rough estimate.
I too have been chasing down a foot related issue for God knows how long! Yes, orthopods, as you call them, and I've come to conclusion their diagnosis tools and techniques are far behind other specialties and frankly haven't changed in decades. Can't tell you how many times they told me walk 10-15 feet down the hall, turn around and come back. Really, that's best you have?!

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 05-22-20 at 03:25 PM.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-22-20, 08:08 PM
  #7  
FatRap64
Member
Thread Starter
 
FatRap64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Humboldt, AZ
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2020 Norco Storm 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Can't tell you how many times they told me walk 10-15 feet down the hall, turn around and come back.
Yeah man, I've put in at least a couple of walking miles doing that test 25 or 30 feet at a time.

My surgeon did a hell of a job for me when I was on the operating table, but neither he nor anyone else has been a heck of a lot of help since.
FatRap64 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.