Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Front Suspension Fork

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Front Suspension Fork

Old 07-11-20, 01:01 PM
  #26  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach View Post
I am a professional mechanic and looked at your bike. A qr is a quick release. Front hubs come in both qr and thru axle variants–mid to high end current production forks are nearly all thru axle
Well I'm guessing that it is a 2017 model.
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-12-20, 07:12 PM
  #27  
RowdyTI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you like the fit and feel of the bike, why such reluctance about putting more money into it? A bike can last indefinitely if maintained and upgraded. As for coil shocks, some pros prefer them:
RowdyTI is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 07:08 AM
  #28  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,820

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,294 Posts
You might consider some tuning options on the fork you already have. Two suggestions:

1- Your Recon has the Turnkey damper (thus the “TK”) The Recon is also available with the Motion Control damper which is better. (I think those are the “RL” models). You will want to double check this, but I would be pretty certain that you could buy a Motion Control damper for an RL model and swap it. I’d guess that is around $40-60. Very easy swap.

2- make sure you have the right spring. If you are not using all your travel, get a softer spring. If you are bottoming the fork out more than occasionally, get a stiffer one.

The most important aspect of a fork’s performance is knowing how to set it up: spring rate (be it air pressure or coil stiffness), rebound damping, and compression damping all make a difference.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-13-20, 09:57 AM
  #29  
prj71
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,205
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 628 Posts
Rockshox Reba 29 with straight streerer and QR...you can usually find some on ebay or Pinkbike for $200 or less. Reba would be an upgrade over your recon.

Cushier front tire? Remember that tires don't replace or act like suspension.
prj71 is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 11:54 AM
  #30  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
You might consider some tuning options on the fork you already have. Two suggestions:

1- Your Recon has the Turnkey damper (thus the “TK”) The Recon is also available with the Motion Control damper which is better. (I think those are the “RL” models). You will want to double check this, but I would be pretty certain that you could buy a Motion Control damper for an RL model and swap it. I’d guess that is around $40-60. Very easy swap.

2- make sure you have the right spring. If you are not using all your travel, get a softer spring. If you are bottoming the fork out more than occasionally, get a stiffer one.

The most important aspect of a fork’s performance is knowing how to set it up: spring rate (be it air pressure or coil stiffness), rebound damping, and compression damping all make a difference.
What I need to do is get some zip-ties, and put those around sliver piston thingy so I can measure the amount of sag/give it has.
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 12:40 PM
  #31  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,820

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,294 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
What I need to do is get some zip-ties, and put those around sliver piston thingy so I can measure the amount of sag/give it has.
The silver piston thingies are called “stanchions”.

It is fine to look at the sag for *****s and giggles, but what really matters is how it feels, and how much travel you are using when riding.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 01:12 PM
  #32  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
The silver piston thingies are called “stanchions”.

It is fine to look at the sag for *****s and giggles, but what really matters is how it feels, and how much travel you are using when riding.
Rather stiff, doesn't really have as much give as I'd would like. I've got if turned over fairly far onto the minus side.
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-16-20, 01:42 PM
  #33  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So my suspension I've got now can operate under trail conditions?
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-16-20, 08:04 PM
  #34  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,370

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
So my suspension I've got now can operate under trail conditions?
Have you been waiting for permission?
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-19-20, 08:55 AM
  #35  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Have you been waiting for permission?
Yes
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 03:26 PM
  #36  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still not bottoming out; even with the preload turned all the way to the minus end.
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 05:34 PM
  #37  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,820

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,294 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
I'm still not bottoming out; even with the preload turned all the way to the minus end.
How much travel are you using? in millimeters.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 09:56 AM
  #38  
SoldSpartan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hoschton GA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
How much travel are you using? in millimeters.
I want to say about 80 millimeters.
SoldSpartan is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 11:50 AM
  #39  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,820

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,294 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
I want to say about 80 millimeters.
If the most you are using is 80mm of a 100mm fork, I would say you should definitely try a softer spring.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 07-27-20, 08:18 PM
  #40  
eshew
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
It really depends on what your doing. If you're riding around the neighborhood or going off curbs you shouldn't be bottoming out. Bottoming out is really just your fork not performing well enough for what you're doing.
eshew is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.